Dn'D thread

Dn'D thread.

just found this book at a garage sale. ive got 2 other friends interested in playing. but we are having trouble deciding who is going to be the DM. because that means someone has to sit out and not play as a character. how do you guys decide DM roles?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/playlist?list=PL957FC21F837F9FDA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

whoever has a story to tell is the DM. Nothing worse than having a dm that doesnt feel like it

being a DM is fun as hell, dude

You're on the wrong thread, take it to /tg/

do it my dude

d&d has been a great thing in my life and I have actually met cool people people because of it

just make sure you play with people that can talk about things other than goblins... :/

Find the guy who wants to tell the rest an epic story. Preferably someone with the ability to improvise extremely well.

If that is not one of your mates then that sucks, but remember this: "The Dungeon Master is every other character in the game that is not a Player". You might not be a full fledged player character, but that doesn't mean you can't insert a couple of characters that you roll up as adversaries or quest givers!!!

Most important is keeping rules set in stone. DM has all power over the rules, but should maintain a consistant pattern to not irritate the players

usually someone makes the campaign and asks the others to play it. you're doing it backwards.

>>

DMing is literally the best part of the game. You control everything that isn't a player. You are definitely not sitting out; you're god.

As the DM you get to play literally every other character in the entire game
..you are definitely not sitting out

Being DM is amazing. If you like telling stories and making crap up that's who should DM. Also just a players handbook isn't going to get you far. Go play at a game shop with a DM who's more experienced it's worth it.

DMing is as much fun, if not more, than playing in my opinion.

Not true. People want to play far more often than someone has a story in the chamber. Or the franchise wouldnt sell those questions story booklets, you lovely little niglet

so i can great a rival? like gary is to ash? and habe him show up during certain points in a campaign and level him up and shit?

Gonna need more than just the Players Handbook. Need the Dungeon Masters guide and a Monster Manual. Get a pre-made campaign or two and your off to the races. D & D is fun as fuck.

I was DM of a game for a few months. I sent the entire party back in time, via Weeping Angels, where they faced a number of challenges which turned them into the heros from their civilzations history books.

FUCK YEAH NIGGA! Depending on the scenario that you have created you have a wide range of rival parties to use! PC's roaming adventures? Rival party keeps taking all the good work and the PC's need to one up them to stay in business. Party is a bunch of holy warriors? Make a few big bads that each work for each other in like some fucked up convent or something. PC's are evil or just super fucking random? Rivals are bunch of straight laced assholes dedicated to the order of the world... or somethin....

You kinda need a DMG and a Monster Manual, but you can actually get everything essential for free if you just google "3e SRD".

If nobody's sure who should DM, just take turns. Hopefully one of you will like it enough to wanna stay there.

Oh and like everyone else is saying, a copy of the Dungeon Master's guide and one of the core monster manuals is vital. There are free virtual copies on the web for download along with character sheets of all types. Another good start is to get each of the players a copy of the Player's Handbook just so they have a thing to reference while they learn to play.

The DM is like the director of a movie and needs to be creative and organised, after all, the DM sets the stage.

His knowlege of the game and the adventure must be encyclopedic. Only the truly motivated and creative can DM

Used to play in a group where the DM had a four-drawer file cabinet that he kept his "world" in. Every magical item was in there, every dungeon, every treasure. All matched to a 1/5000 scale USGS map of Oregon that covered two folding tables.

I bet you only browse trap, shota, and banana threads after you learned about this site in September 2014. Kill yourself you miserable faglord.

>September 2014

That's oddly specific.

I have only played DM/GM in various roleplaying games and it is so fuckin fun. I guess it depends on why you play the game. Is it cuz you want to hack n slash or create a setting, tell a story and be creative?

My short answer is, let the most creative person be the DM. Also, there is nothing that says that you can't control a NPC to follow along the campaign occasionally.

Since there's a lot of people who played D&D table games I'll ask here
What do you think about neverwinter? Do you think it's a good adaptation of the universe or a bad one?
Personnaly I find it really cool cause for a mmorpg it have a really good lore (normal considering the source material)

And to answer OP
Dont pick the unmotivated guy or this will happen
> one hour for creating your characters
> game start and goes normally
> Dm is tired so you beat the final boss in a random dungeon

I'm currently playing with 5 others
one of the others DMs the main game
when he needs a break, either from burnout or not having time to prep, I run a second game

I've been working on creating my own campaign from the ground up. took some stuff from 3.5 but overall its been great. I threw in an npc so i could rp a little as well. just give them something like a butler or a mute follower who isnt op in combat. use him as a story device later, have him betray them or some shit. easy

>there is nothing that says that you can't control a NPC to follow along the campaign occasionally.
be careful with that though
you control everything but the PCs
if the players feel you are using your party NPC to control the party it is very easy for them to become resentful

Yea ofc, you don't want to use it to railroad the characters but if used carefully (and rarely) it can achieve great effects and boost climaxes in story. For instance, you can have them killed off, have them give your players any missed story plots etc.

But yea, thread lightly when using an npc with your PC's party

make them mute or cripple their interaction with the party. use them as a plot device. theres a great series on youtube that will help set up a campaign youtube.com/playlist?list=PL957FC21F837F9FDA that and the worldbuilders playlist.

have any of you played 4th edition? from the little i have seen, it seems pretty dumbed down. a skyrim vs morrowind situation.

used to play 3.5 in hs with a group of bros. was seriously fun shit. i would dm about half of the time.

think about it like this. its a great rpg that you play with your frienda face to face, and the only thing that limits how awesome it can be is your imagination.

dm is fun, it does require preparation though. my friend was a fantastic dm. one dungeon had a music floor puzzle. he busted out a keyboard and played a note every time we moved a square. the relative pitches gave hints about how to navigate the traps etc.

well this is making me want to play again.

op, go for it. its a shitload of fun.

An easy technique as a DM, is to give players choices in the path that ultimately lead them to the same place you were planning on them reaching in the first place.

You do this by giving them a 2-1-2-1 patten of options or #-1-#-1 so that they feel like they are in an open scenario thats really linear.

Makes work as a DM easier, and makes players feel like they aren't on a set path.

forgot to add - get a huge piece of paper (like 4'x6' or something) and draw a grid on with squares sized for miniatures. then laminate the bastard. you can use dry erase markers to draw out dungeons/maps/everything.

then you can also use graph paper to pre draw dungeons. making dungeons on graph paper got me through most history and english classes.

Never played actual Dnd (although I'd really like to) but I have been quest maser on quite a few threads on /quest/. If it's anything similar it's unbelievably fun, provided you've got a story to tell

bumping for thoughts on 4 vs 3.5

also dubs