Any anons out there into gold prospecting? How long have you been fossicking for? What was your biggest haul...

Any anons out there into gold prospecting? How long have you been fossicking for? What was your biggest haul? How much have you collected so far?

Aw man I wish this thrad took off.

I went gold panning in a river once, had a sleuce and shit. It was awesome.

What about you OP?

sluice

#1 rule of prospecting:
Don't talk about it!

dumbcunts, dumbcunts everywhere.

just to protect your good spots and shit?

I'm not in the US anyways. Jst wanna hear cool stories about finding gold

Don't mention locations.

General discussion is fine you fucking mongoloid.

OP, did it a few times but never came up with much past a few flecks. I used to fossil hunt instead.

did you sell fossils for profit or just hunt for fun man?

Here you go, user.

Sydney Prospector here. GPX5000 is mah main tool.

Hey dude, is that actually worth much?

Kiwi here

I call bullshit.

this pic is worth like 120k, was stolen. blah blah was in the news

yeah unless you live in Australia, you're fucked.
Kiwibro here too. Shit all gold here m8.

even in central?

I know my uncles know way more about it than I do

Gold nuggets in Australia are abundant but you need a good machine (Minelab PI detector) and some research first.

We're not here to talk about locations, just here to discuss what we've found and what it's like

Just flecks and shit like that. More of a hobbyist than some one who thinks he's going to become a millionaire overnight.

>Minelab PI detector
what are the rules about ownership of the gold? is it actually likely you'll find some?

boomp

Does having a good machine really make a difference?

sounds good, it's a nice excuse to get out.

What gear do you use?

A lot of that has the redness of WA golfields.

It depends where you're fossicking. It's possible to find flecks of gold in lots of places but finding big chunks over 5 grams is rare

Hunt for fun. Growing up I loved geology and paleontology. There were few Permian shale beds an hour out from where I lived.

Used to find full glossopteris leaves with beautiful detail - better than I've seen in museums. Seeds too, but only twice. Other stuff like gingko leaves and few long, 30-40cm pointed leaves that resemblked eucalypts but which I could never identify.

Miss it, now that I start talking about it...

It sounds like a fun hobby man. Did you ever think about asking if museums wanted any pieces?

Why aren't you still doing it?

im sorry but wtf is that shit underneath it?

Garrett AT Pro Metal Detector

in Australia it works like this:

Prospecting; you need a liscence (prospecting is for profits)

Fossicking; you just need to be doing it in designated areas (fossicking is classified as a hobby, your looking for 'mineral samples' and you're not allowed to sell)

the other big rule is about having water pumps connected to your sluice. you cant have anytype of 'motorized machinery' if you're a fossicker, and having a water pump (even a reticulating system) is not allowed, rangers can confiscate ALL of your tools, including your metal detectors.

how much is something that size roughly worth?

want to start in qld. would a garrett at gold be sufficient? most likely go to the national parks and old gols areas listed on the gov site

What r the chances of me going in my back yard and finding gold?

checked

oh that's all good. So if you find gold mineral samples you probably just sell them on the sly?

and your sluice can just be bucket/ river fed?

Unlikely unless you live on a huge farm. If you want to find gold you gotta look far and wide.

I actually ended up giving most of my old collection fellow collectors or to my old high school, which they really appreciated. For me it was always for fun and interest, never profit.

Honestly, the only museums nearby were:
>A. The best mineral and fossil museum in the Southern Hemisphere. Superb samples.
>B. Didn't much care for singular donations or for updating their fossil collection.

It's weird as fuck, but you can actually sell nugs for more than golds worth, 1 gram, size of grain of rice moves for $50 easy.

yup, you can put your sluice in a river, and just let the water flow over the top, no limit to the length of it either.

hey dude I dont know shit about geology but if you find a seed could you plant it?

Na man, it's a rock by then (not op)

Get

I kind of stopped doing it because it got harder to balance study, work and travelling to the site. I also got made fun of, and as a kid it sort of made me distance myself from it. I regret it now, but I'm even busier than before so I kind make time to do it.

No, it's been completely replaced by minerals - that's how they last. Ditto with nearly all fossils you can think of.

not a fossilised one, no.

there's a seed that was thousands of years old, found in some isreali kings tombs that sprouted.

Seeds in permafrost and peet bogs have also been revived. Really neat stuff.

Make you wonder do they do a gold sweep when developing lands and such?

You should make some time to do it! You'll probably enjoy it after having such a break