>art
>pop

Now thats an oxymoron if i've ever heard one

>inb4 you're an oxymoron
>inb4 you're a moron
>inb4 any moron pun

;)

damn

>you can't do anything artistic in pop music!
>>>/classical/

>you can be artistic with copy paste - the genre

I guarantee OP specifically made this thread to make this joke

>music isn't art

thats 90% of threads newfriend

Yeah probably, but I'm and not OP

you're a faggot

you are retarded

Look at all these pooper pained poptimists. It's delicious

Bowie & Eno
youtube.com/watch?v=Q3L58KyHC_M

Kate Bush, Brian Eno, Bowie's Eno produced albums

Pro tip: Come up with an argument before arguing so that you don't look so WRONG

>epic strawman

>strawman
>when they literally just said faggot and lol ur so dum

I'm sorry but any wince of discussion was thrown out the window because they have literally 0 argument.

You don't have an argument either though? You literally just said Art Pop is an oxymoron, rather than adding any reasons why.

I said it's copy and paste cookie cutter assembly line music, therefore can't be artistic. Someone needs to learn how to read.

can you elaborate on what "copy and paste cookie cutter assembly line music" is

What about pop music that isn't cookie cutter assembly line music?

>What about pop music that isn't cookie cutter assembly line music?
lol?
I–V–vi–IV

so you don't know what art pop is, got it.

i feel like you're just listening to the wrong kind of pop music, and even stuff that is 'copypastecookiecutter' can have emotive and powerful themes/passages that qualify it as art (although to me, pretty much all music is art on some level - im qualifying for you)

lol, go on? What is it

>I–V–vi–IV

That's your argument? Holy shit lmao you're retarded.

pop music that intentionally avoids conventions of traditional pop music. lots of secondary dominants, borrowed chords, odd time signatures and influences from other genres, still with the intention of making something pleasing to listen to.

>doesn't refute
>just uses ad hominems
Lol ok, I can see i'm wasting my time , again no argument

>lol?
Not an argument. Try again
>I–V–vi–IV
Not all pop songs follow this chord sequence. The Night Before by The Beatles for example.

Can you name some popular music that intentionally avoids conventions of popular music?

Surf's Up by The beach Boys

Well we were not arguing, just informing
by the way, you are retarded

>popular music
ah, i get it - yes, this is what 'pop' means of course, it once meant that and now shall ALWAYS mean that yes of course

I can think of 10 art pop songs that don't use that chord progression. I can even narrow it down to 10 bjork songs. Fuck i could do 30 bjork songs

But i just realised that you've been baiting the whole time, so I guess its my loss eh

you're combining the term "pop" with "popular", the pop in art pop doesn't mean top 40, it means accessible. either way if you want extreme examples of very "popular" art pop artists just listen to bowie, kate bush, and brian eno.

>pop
>popular
Yes, you retards. But i'm willing to hear your definition of it (this will be good)

this. its like this guy has no brain but he must shitpost

>bjork
>pop
XD
>pop means accessible
Alright, proof?
Mordern Pop40 music was just being re-invented at that time, doesn't count.

>no brains
Again, really no depth to your statements, your words hold about as much weight as an animal collective fans arms can

you just said pop music all uses diatonic chord progressions and now you're saying you need proof that pop means accessible? it might be time to admit that you came into this discussion with no knowledge on what you're talking about

>>bjork
>>pop
>XD

Bjork is art pop, which is a subgenre of pop. You're original post was claiming that art pop doesn't exist, as in pop can't be artistic. Curious to see how you try and move the goalposts from here

lol pop music is just not classical, jazz, or avant garde. So 95% of what's posted here

>answering with a question
Sorry, everything you say is riddled with fallacies, this won't go anywhere. You have no argument and you're all over the place. If you're implying that you need diatonic circle of 5ths interval progressions to be accessible, like its the CRITERIA of being accessible you're beyond help and have no idea what you're talking about

I can't put forth any arguments for someone who doesn't even know what art pop is

LOL okay perfect, now I know what kind of retards i'm dealing with. Thank you, i'll be moving on now XD

>Mordern Pop40 music was just being re-invented at that time
Which is a reason pop music can be artful
>doesn't count.
Nice goalpost shifting

>diatonic circle of 5ths interval progressions
this is just word salad.
i hope you know you're coming away from this with everyone laughing at you. i'm sure you're a hoot at your high school debate club.

No, because it was being re-invented into cookie cutter shit.

There's art, then there's pop, polar opposites and there's nothing more to discuss. Come up with a better name for your genre that isn't an oxymoron

Diatonic circle of 5ths, means using scale safe notes with the only variation being using relative minors and majors.

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about, i'm done here, you're embarrassing yourself.

i'm not the people you're talking to but maybe read this
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_pop
it should clarify a few things

the "interval" was redundant. if apparently eno and bowie aren't art then i'm excited to find out whatever hammy prog-metal you enjoy constitutes as high art.

>wikipedia
Just when I thought it couldn't get funnier

it's full of references, what's the problem?

>prog metal
>high art

Higher than pop, but still garbage. Nice try user

anyone can edit them user!!

it tells him he's wrong, so clearly it must be wrong. he can never be wrong, because fallacies or something. you're all bullies please stop ecks dee

shit posters can leave. If Wikipedia is the best "proof" of definition you have then that's hilarious. Imagine handing in a paper to your university professor with wikipedia cited.

obviously you would cite the 103 independent references spanning 50 years and not the article itself

or maybe you wouldn't, who knows

great argument (not a fallacy at all)

You're right it's not a fallacy, literally just explained that his proof is invalid and explained why.

proof? i was trying to help you understand the category you keep asking about
are you mental?

>There's art, then there's pop, polar opposites
Not really, because all music is art.
>my personal feelings about the name of this genre is...
Not relevant

obviously you're all just here to shitpost.

Oh OK

Here's some sources for you then
Holden, Stephen (February 28, 1999). "MUSIC; They're Recording, but Are They Artists?". The New York Times. Retrieved July 17, 2013.
Frith & Horne 2016, p. 74.
Buckley 2012, p. 21.
Fisher, Mark (2010). "You Remind Me of Gold: Dialogue with Simon Reynolds". Kaleidoscope (9).
Fisher 2014, p. 5.
Bannister 2007, p. 184.
Fisher, Mark (November 7, 2007). "Glam's Exiled Princess: Roisin Murphy". Fact. London. Archived from the original on November 10, 2007. Retrieved November 23, 2015.
Frith 1989, p. 116, 208.
Lester, Paul (11 June 2015). "Franz and Sparks: this town is big enough for both of us". The Guardian.
Frith & Horne 2016, p. 98.
Bannister 2007, p. 37.
Frith 1989, p. 97.
Frith 1989, p. 208.
White, Armond. "The Best of Roxy Music Shows Ferry's Talent for Exploring Pop While Creating It". Retrieved March 15, 2016.
Moore 2016.
DJ Taylor (August 13, 2015). "Electric Shock: From the Gramophone to the iPhone: 125 Years of Pop Music by Peter Doggett, book review". The Independent. Retrieved March 15, 2016.
Aspden, Peter. "The Sound and Fury of Pop Music." Financial Times. 14 August 2015.
Coleman, Nick (31 August 2003). "Live Box". The Independent. Independent Print Limited.
Frith & Horne 2016, p. 100.

Want some more?

>cookie cutter shit is art
Ok sure, so is pooping on a canvas.

>first citation is jew york times
XD it just gets better

Get ready then fucking faggots

uh oh he has a book filled with opinions

funny how you dont """XD""" at frith and horne as you have no clue who they are

Oh are one of those anti-modern art people?

You are literally retarded. This book makes no judgement but explains the history and development of music. It has zero opinions

>go to Sup Forums
is literally your only argument, lmfao

seems like you stuck around for the witty bants

>is literally your only argument
No I listed a number of sources.
user's only argument is "lol jews"

>here let me state my own opinion
Are you published?

pop as a genre doesn't mean that the music has to be popular, because of this we have stuff like indie, noise or psychedelic and dream pop, and also art pop

>popular music doesn't HAVE to be popular

That's correct. Is cowpunk popular? Not really

lol ooooooookayyy
*backs away slowly laughing nervously*

DAT ASS

Popular music and pop music are two different terms with different meanings

Mate you are retarded

THIS. Grimes is god-tier art pop. She did all her music by herself.

Grimes. Nothing on the charts (old or new) sound like her music.

Technically unrelated but is it true Kate Bush is a Tory?

>doesn't substantiate his claim
>expects people to blindly accept his claim as fact without challenging him at all