Tfw their year end list included Solange, Kanye West, Kendrick Lamar, and Frank Ocean, with David Bowie at number 1

>tfw their year end list included Solange, Kanye West, Kendrick Lamar, and Frank Ocean, with David Bowie at number 1
>Chance the Rapper, Rihanna, D.R.A.M., Lil Yachty, Rae Sremmurd, Young Thug, 2 Chainz & Lil Wayne, YG, and French Montana made their honorable mentions
>tfw even The Wire isn't safe from poptimism and blind praise of awful mainstream rap

Other urls found in this thread:

thewire.co.uk/issues/charts/2011-rewind-chart_top-50-releases-of-the-year.1
thewire.co.uk/issues/charts/top-50_albums-of-the-year-2012
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>waaaaah nobody cares about muh obscure old white person "avant-garde" classical free jazz electronic drone music anymore

Fucking kys
It's almost 2017 and nobody listens to that pretentious garbage nowadays.

Sometimes music doesnt have to he popular to be good.

>just because it's popular it's bad
Kill Your Self

There's nothing wrong with music critics praising mainstream/popular music. You're only mad because they're PoC's and/or femme.

They had a great top 10 though, even if the Bowie pick was uninspired.

At least Blackstar got the top spot over the other tripe

>some top albums of the year are bad because their artists are household names wahhhhh
literally fuck off with this shit

Have you even read The Wire? It's not supposed to be like Pitchfork lmao.

doesn't invalidate the point

Blackstar is one of the worst albums on there t bh

>muh sekret magazine
>muh obscure music
>muh elitism
>muh superiority complex

Chance the Rapper probably shits over every "underground experimental" hack that you jerk off to.

here's a (you), don't spend it all in one place

People who read and pay money to subscribe to The Wire have expectations of what sort of content they'll get and what specific types of music will be covered.

Hey that's a really cool opinion there I'd love to know where you found it

>People who read and pay money to subscribe to The Wire
aka neckbeard losers who automatically reject any remotely popular music in order to feel "cool"

Nobody else cares that you still listen to minimal harsh drone. People are probably laughing at you, in fact. Fucking poseur.

he's not wrong, Blackstar isn't awful but it's grossly overrated

>overrated

wtf is that cover lmao

like what were they thinking

yeah

a lot

Bowie fans are retarded

>retarded
>overrated

yeah ok buddy

They realized about pousercore, and sadly, as you can see their true tastes are nothing but hype trash

>They realized about pousercore

Blackstar was crap

oh lord, please tell me you're trolling

i honestly thought tmt or other cool blogs would be safe from it, but marcel's list is the only list i've seen so far that doesn't push any poptimism whatsoever.

what the fuck has happened to music journalism? why is so much of it shit?

>but marcel's list is the only list i've seen so far that doesn't push any poptimism whatsoever.
It's also 40% lo-fi house, Dean Blunt, and footwork and 40% random vaporwave producer trash with 20% decent music.

congratulations on having a wrong opinion

No

Wow, that's awful. I understand liking hip-hop, but shit like Young Thug and French Montana is lazy trash that as no place in a magazine dedicated to underground / experimental music.

because the white people running these magazines think like
^ this guy

Just because it's hip-hop doesn't mean it can't be experimental, you racist. It's more forward thinking than "hurrrrr muh minimal classical retreads". And Thugger and French Montana aren't that mainstream so don't be such a little bitch.

t. literal morons who have never read an issue of the wire in their life

Your point being?

holy shit when did this board become so bluepilled

welcome to neo-Sup Forums

>Just because it's hip-hop doesn't mean it can't be experimental, you racist
You are right. But the fact they are not experimebral does mean it isn't experimental. If you think French Montana has any sort of forward-thinking merit to it you should try to get the poptimist dick out of your ass while you can

Oh, and now you're being racist AND homophobic. Good job asshole. This is why nobody takes you or your shit music seriously.

Yeah, the list was a bummer. their end of the year lists sorta suck because they don't represent what the magazine covers throughout the year. Sure, they talk a lot about free improv and free jazz and whatever else, but when you have a voting thing Blackstar will still end up topping it mostly because it works as a common point of reference among the voters rather than some obscure EAI release or something.

If you want the more unique perspectives on music you have to take a look at their individual lists by genre, as well as the one which shows the AOTY from each voter. They are in the archive. Still a shame because for a lot of people this will be their first contact with The Wire and it really doesn't make it look that different from your average PK4 list

Trump won, now we all have to go the other way. This is always how Sup Forums has worked. Sup Forums and a few other select boards will have this grow the fastest because they are rooted in youth culture. All other boards will catch up by next Summer.

>their end of the year lists sorta suck because they don't represent what the magazine covers throughout the year.
Yeah, but they've been better, if not at least less pop/mainstream-centric, in the past.

Just look at 5 years ago:
thewire.co.uk/issues/charts/2011-rewind-chart_top-50-releases-of-the-year.1

The biggest names on the list were Lou Reed & Metallica (which I still think was a hiliarious choice), The Beach Boys with their SMiLE Sessions release, Frank Ocean (who hadn't quite broken into the mainstream yet), and Radiohead.

And there was still plenty of their usually covered styles that made the Top 50.

What the fuck happened?

What the fuck is this cover supposed to mean

thewire.co.uk/issues/charts/top-50_albums-of-the-year-2012

Or fuck, look at 2012. The only arguably "true" mainstream artists on there are Kendrick Lamar and Bob Dylan. Everything else is the sort of thing you would come to expect from the Wire.

fuck if i know

Pretentious fags fuck off nobody cares

Are you saying you disagree with those inclusions?

Well, personally I think both are ranked too highly on that list (particularly Dylan), but I'm saying, for a magazine dedicated to avant-garde and underground music, one should be wary of a bunch of major label mainstream pop releases showing up in the year end list.

Kendrick and Dylan are more pitchfork and rolling stone territory.

You're not impressing anyone, you know.

You guys fuckin all got trolled and baited like a shrimp in the sea. You don't even read The Wire so gtfo!

>Kendrick and Dylan are more pitchfork and rolling stone territory.
Ohhhhh your precious magazine is too good to cover the most acclaimed and important rap artist of the 21st century and a legacy release by the most influential songwriter of the 20th century? But they're mainstream! God forbid! You must be so enlightened with your rejection of popular music. Please bless us, oh wizened one, with your devout taste in all things obscure, underground, and "avant-garde". Literal "poseur". You just don't want to lose any of your precious hipster cred.

Who exactly got trolled?

It looks pretentious as hell but Im gonna have a go deciphering it.

I think the cut cheese and the hammer are just meant to be metaphors/jokes referencing "cutting up the year", "breaking the year up".

The pens are a reference to their writer's end of year lists

and the circles and crosses on the cheese are either a parody of symbolic album/artist imagery or an attempt to make a joke artwork out of the cheese itself in their own pretentious way

Yeah, that's retarded.

Sometmies musci doesn't have to be obscure to be good either

Because everything this year sucked. Even the experimental underground music was shit this year, trust me I listen to lots of noise/drone/freak-folk/avant-garde stuff and this has been the worst year in a decade for that type of thing.

Somebody tell that to these faggots. Just because it's obscure doesn't make it good.

Obscurity is relative.

>Even the experimental underground music was shit this year

its like everybody blew their load last year

fuck the wire

Vroom Vroom is one of the most relevant releases of the year. Just listen to the song Trophy. How they could leave it off their list is beyond me. Then again, they are renowned pretentious anti-pop tryhards...

Vroom Vroom is an EP. This particular list only covers albums.

Well that's stupid. An EP is an album, just a bit shorter.

Oh no! It's getting harder and harder to ignore popular musicians! What will happen to your hipster cred user?

>oh no I'm not gonna make my $0.45 if I don't vigorously defend this guy's radio rap zine
u kids r embarrassing

>The Wire
>radio rap zine
Is is a joke or?

Looks like a massive lump of cheese
Like Blackstar

The cheese is merit.
A slice of cheese for an artist means that they have earned merit for their work.
A wedge of cheese (play on words as wedge means big/strong/hench in uk slang) means they have more merit therefore the artist is higher on the list.
The 'big cheese' is normally the person in charge, WIRE in this case. Which leads to the whole division of merit. The symbols on the cheese represent how unique the opinions and work of the artists in question are. Instead of cutting a shape out for equal distribution they are ignoring the marked shapes and just cutting slices.

The pens represent the critic's reviews.

The hammer I have no idea

>naming their shitty magazine after the greatest tv show of all time
For what purpose?

you are the hammer, user

Mad, cuck? That the 'music' you like will never be on the same level as Cage, Subotnick, Stockhausen?

neither will 99.99% of the shit the wire talks about

That's a steep claim for a show that's won acclaim for being consistently average.

>caring about music "journalism"

Actually LMAO'ing at your lives

This is the kind of ignorant people that mainly comprises Sup Forums now. How sad.

they lash out because they feel inferior

As if

The Wire isn't p4k you dummy

>tfw their year end list included Solange, Kanye West, Kendrick Lamar, and Frank Ocean, with David Bowie at number 1
>Chance the Rapper, Rihanna, D.R.A.M., Lil Yachty, Rae Sremmurd, Young Thug, 2 Chainz & Lil Wayne, YG, and French Montana made their honorable mentions

There's absolutely nothing wrong with any of that you special snowflake elitist prick.

K

The Wire have been shedding readers for ages and are desperate to increase their sales numbers, so you're probably going to see a lot more pop music coverage on there in the future.
It's a pretty misguided strategy on their part though, the people who want to read "hip and intelligent" takes on pop music are just going to stick with Tinymixtapes and Pitchfork.

The only people who think that The Wire is some arbiter of "intelligent and advance taste" are the people who have never read The Wire, or people who are only getting into the sort of music which The Wire covers and therefore still don't know that much about it.

A buddy of mine has a subscription to the magazine and whenever I borrow an issue from him or flip through it at his place I ended up baffled by how poor and cookie-cutter and often downright uninformed the majority of their music writing and coverage is. Not to mention, the music they review is incredibly boring, backwards-looking, and downright inane.

>literally who: the magazine
Wire is not and never has been relevant.

how is it compared to thequietus?

The Quietus is far better. Their reviews, interviews, spotlights, and revisited classics are always worth checking out

The Quietus is considerably better than The Wire, at least as long as you ignore their inane political articles.

Wire are amateurs in the world of experimental and underground music journalism and don't even come remotely close to the Quietus.

Cool, because I like thequietus, whenever I take the time to read some of their reviews or end-of-year lists. Besides that, I occasionally go to TMT, but only because of the music they review, not their actual writing, and then FACT and RA. What other sites are good for more 'experimental' music? I like the above-mentioned sites because they have so much interesting electronic music

The Quietus and TMT are the pinnacle. Fact and RA are good but focus too much on /bleep/ tier EDM club music.

Whatever you do, stay far, far away from the cancer that is The Wire.

Thanks

you have awful, awful taste pard

factmag is embarrassing trendy shit

RA and quietus are great

Bait?

marcel

It's true though. They have no problem with legacy dadrock white male pop and rock acts like Bowie and Leonard Cohen. But god forbid, Rihanna and Solange get some well-deserved praise and these manchildren lose their shit because "hurrr mainstream Top 40 pop is bad", when you know deep down it's a race/gender thing.

Bowie is one of the biggest frauds in pop music history though. He's just as undeserving of respect as Top 40 dreck.

>Top 40 dreck
They aren't dreck just because they're black females.

I agree. They're dreck because their music is shit.

But why do you think it's shit? Explain that/

>Bowie is one of the biggest frauds in pop music history though
????????????

sophie phoned it in hardcore on vroom vroom though