Jew here. What are the differences between Catholicism, Eastern Orthodoxy, Protestantism, baptists, and Mormons?

Jew here. What are the differences between Catholicism, Eastern Orthodoxy, Protestantism, baptists, and Mormons?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_Brazilians
youtube.com/watch?v=goqj9oWFhMw
youtube.com/watch?v=4RzfshsoYi0
ligonier.org/learn/articles/martin-luthers-definition-faith/
gotquestions.org/good-works-salvation.html
vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_councils/chrstuni/meth-council-docs/rc_pc_chrstuni_doc_20060723_text-association_en.html
katholieknieuwsblad.nl/commentaar/god-in-nederland
eo.nl/geloven/nieuws/item/nederland-is-god-kwijt-geraakt/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Catholicism
Enjoy life, family values, trust and happiness above everything
>Protestantism
Work, Work, Work, Efficiency is equal to salvation, Corruption is the ultimate sin, Emotions are a hassle to a society, Objectivity is a must.

Catholicism --> Accept that u are poor.
Protestantism --> You can work to improve your life

That is why catholic countries are poor and protestant countries are rich.

>Objectivity is a must

Oh yeah Protestants the most objective people on Earth. Protestantism was ruined by the revivals and the spawning of literally brain dead religions like Baptists, Methodists, etc.

yes, hence why you are autistic, hate brazil, have no friends and think you are a special snowflake

>Catholicism --> Accept that u are poor.

I'm Catholic and we aren't taught this. Maybe in South America.

I love Brazil. That is why i'm protestant because i want to improve my country not like these catholics leechs that live in my beautiful motherland

Protestantism has its origins with peasants and merchants getting uppity enough to form their own ideas about God and started thinking religion was a personal thing rather than a social function.

What came after had a lot of variation but it shouldn't be surprising that educated merchants had a tendency to think that hard work and making money weren't sinful and perhaps were even morally laudable.

>Catholicism
Holy Spirit comes from God-father and God-son
Pope is God's vicegerent on the Earth
>Eastern Orthodoxy
Holy Spirit comes from God-father through God-son
Pope is head of Roman autocephal church

Good man.

That is an Anglo meme. Protestants consider that salvation is by faith alone and never by work; it's only a group of American evangelicals who proclaim the doctrine of prosperity (god will make you rich if you are a good Christian).

If you're really a jew, Whats your net worth?

Catholicism is idoltary, protestantism is the failed attempt to show them that it is a fuckin idoltary.

Yes, basically protestantism is a soulless merchant religion. Like judaism but less competent and less folkloric.

>less competent
>by a country that got raped by Germans twice in the span of half a century and now is getting economically raped by Germany

really made me think

The Lutheran-Evangelical church is based on the idea that a person should have direct contact to God through his beliefs and his actions, not through giving all your shekels to the opressive asshole Pope or through confessing your """sins""" to your local gay pedophile rapist priest.
Understood?

>Implying the richest, most successful areas of Germany aren't catholic

Nazism (retarded loser's ideology) was a protestan fruit.

Catholicism > Protestantism

Catholics will defend this behavior which should tell you all you need to know.

>implying a true jew would tell it to you

germany never won a war

Even the cucktholic areas are culturally protestant. Most great Germans were protestant.

The USA is entirely built by protestant with a sprinkle of kike.

Christianity in general is idolatry. Remember the story of the golden calf, those who knelt did not worship a different g-d but they believed it represented god in earthly form. That was their sin, as it is the christians.

God is everywhere, he encompasses everything, is without form and timeless.

yeah no wonder we can integrate every single race in our culture and you guys get all autistic about immigrants

>Americans don't understand this behavior

Can't possibly lie about this matter

You integrate them because in Brazil everyone is shit. So even the shittiest immigrants fit in.

Catholics believe salvation is achieved by doing good woks and see the pope as a descendant ruler of Peter

Protestants believe salvation is by faith alone, Lutherans baptize infants

Baptists believe it's by faith alone and eternal (meaning you cannot lose your salvation), only baptize believers (12-14 years or older)

Mormons are not a denomination like the others, but a meme kind of Christianity with its own canon and separate believes. Pretty much non-existent outside the US (Utah).

Eastern Orthodox is similar to the Catholic church but with minor differences, e.g. they use a different bible stream (similar to the King James)

>God is everywhere, he encompasses everything
No, I'm not, stop speaking in my name.

I know right
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_Brazilians

How to identify a Jew?
need some connections...

Shine a light on him and look at the shadow.

>Catholicism, Eastern Orthodoxy, Protestantism, baptists
These are just your everyday, run-of-the-mill heresies.
>Mormons
Scientology-tier. Violent and subversive. NEVER trust them.

throw some holy water on him

>french education
youtube.com/watch?v=goqj9oWFhMw

Catholicism was the ancient church consolidating around Rome and the Pope to convert pagans and make it the one and only Universal Church. Orthodoxy was greeks trying to do the same but around Constantinople and the Patriarch. Protestantism was the result of Germanic butthurt at 1000 years of Latin cucking, spawning nationalistic, special-snowflake little churches centered around the Monarch with an special emphasis on happy merchanting. And Murican protestantism is the retarded branch, with extra burgers, guns, american Jeezus, a hard-on for jewish and apocalyptic stuff, and no dinosaurs nor homo erectuses allowed.

>Catholics
You have to do good things to gain salvation. The church has authority in theological issues, the pope being the head of the church. Big emphasis on traditions.

>orthodox

Very similar to catholics but without a single head of the church. Icons.

>protestants (European Lutherans)

Salvation is obtained exclusively by having faith in Jesus, it doesn't matter if you do good works or not. The bible is the only authority, yet the I follow many traditions from the old church, such as having Sunday as a sacred day and considering god to be trine.

>protestants (American evangelicals, baptists, etc)

Creationists, judrophile republicans. Jesus appears on toasts. Ku klux klan. McChurches and "black only churches" among other degeneracies.

>jehovah's witnesses

American apocalyptic cult who considers Jesus was an angel and that bloos transfussion are sinful.

>Mormons

American hoax with his own fake scriptures about how Jesus lived in America. Considers drinking coffee a sin.

Whereas you guys put up the resistance of a wet paper bag.
Also german christians are practically half and half.

Not sure what I'm supposed to think about your post, desu.

t. Never heard of Max Weber

>muh pol values

>Objectivity is a must.

That's why Creationism is a protestant thing and the Catholic Church accepts the theory of evolution, a catholic priest basically created the big bang theory and another one the foundation of genetics?

You guy don't know what you talk about. What do they teach you in the favelas?

Objectivity in any case is a one of the most catholic virtues.

Protestants (at least the American tier of protestantism) interpret the Bible in a literal way, Catholics don't.

What's your problem with "Objectivity" anyway, putting it there in that list as something negative?

>You have to do good things to gain salvation.

How it fucking should be.

>Catholocism
>Orthodoxy
More or less the OG's of Chalcedonian Christianity (the most common branch of Christianity, which basically defines Christ as one being with both a divine and a human nature). The big difference between the two is almost entirely political in nature (with some doctrinal differences that are marginal), especially the position of the pope. Catholics preach the supremacy of the Bishop of Rome, while the Orthodox Church believes he should be nothing more than the first among equals in the Pentarchy (Bishops of Rome, Constantinople, Antioch, Jerusalem and Alexandria).

>Protestantism
A common name for the quinto-zadrillion splintergroups that emerged during and after the reformation. Fun fact: some definitions of protestantism exclude anglicanism (which is just caesaropapist catholocism, let's be honest here).

>Baptists
>Mormons
See above: branches of protestantism. When every village priest fashions himself a theologian and founds his own church, some crazy shit happens.

The thing about this is that you should see this a little bit less strawmanish as some people put it. In protestant theology salvation precedes good works and good works are a way to maintain ones salvation. Protestantism (generally) holds that we men are way too sinful to be ever righteous in the standing with God, faith alone can save us.

If a catholic believe in Christ (correct me if I am wrong) he will still need to burn of a part of his sin in purgatory in order to be merited into the presence of God. For a protestant his good works are what keeps him secure of his faith that allows him to be merited. See it like this, you believe but then you kill someone, certainly if you gave your life to Christ you would not do that meaning you do not believe. If you then after the murder would give yourself to Christ again that would be mere legalism. God knows your true heart, so just merely saying you believe is not what makes you righteous.

There are some debates like that going on inside protestantism but you get the gist.

Baptism is protestant, mormonism not, it does not follow the three (or five) solea nor is it even trinitarian.

>I'm protestant because i want to improve my country not like these catholics leechs that live in my beautiful motherland

Protestants in Brazil are the biggest joke in this side of the hemisphere, they manage to be worse than american televangelists. The only decent ones are from small old german lutheran colonies, everything else is trash tier.

Regardless of denomination, I think we can all agree that this man and his followers did nothing wrong.

youtube.com/watch?v=4RzfshsoYi0

I believe this hymn is of him, put on guitar music it sounds really good.

I don't know in which of the dozens of protestant denominations you partake, but were I live (where protestants are evangelicals ala USA), I have been told by them that you are save by faith alone, and that good works are no more than a consequence of having faith. They imply that if you really have faith you will then follow the biblical rules; they never told me that good works were a way to "maintain" salvation; but then again, I don't know which particular branch of protestantism you follow.

>Mormons are not a denomination like the others, but a meme kind of Christianity with its own canon and separate believes. Pretty much non-existent outside the US (Utah).
>Pretty much non-existent outside the US (Utah).

Are you memeing me? You do realize that most Mormons don't live in the US and most Mormons in the US don't live in Utah, right?

Let us go back to the roots of the reformation with Luther, while I am not a Lutheran in every sense, I do agree with most of his theology.

>Instead, faith is God’s work in us, that changes us and gives new birth from God. (John 1:13). It kills the Old Adam and makes us completely different people. It changes our hearts, our spirits, our thoughts and all our powers. It brings the Holy Spirit with it. Yes, it is a living, creative, active and powerful thing, this faith. Faith cannot help doing good works constantly. It doesn’t stop to ask if good works ought to be done, but before anyone asks, it already has done them and continues to do them without ceasing. Anyone who does not do good works in this manner is an unbeliever. He stumbles around and looks for faith and good works, even though he does not know what faith or good works are. Yet he gossips and chatters about faith and good works with many words.

ligonier.org/learn/articles/martin-luthers-definition-faith/

This is also a good overview, everything you want to know about Protestantism can be found on this site, even though I do not agree with some parts (I do not agree with once saved always saved, nor do I believe in predestination which this site does preach). gotquestions.org/good-works-salvation.html

This texts says that he who does not produce good works after faith never had faith to begin with, something I believe a bit more nuanced, I do think one can lose faith.

>Together we confess: By grace alone, in faith in Christ’s saving work and not because of any merit on our part, we are accepted by God and receive the Holy Spirit, who renews our hearts while equipping and calling us to good works.

vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_councils/chrstuni/meth-council-docs/rc_pc_chrstuni_doc_20060723_text-association_en.html

The main difference I think is that in Protestantism good works are a result and not the cause of salvation.

Sorry for the choppy answer, it was hard to cut it down to less than 2000.

Catholics
>love philosophy and detailed definitions, clear and complex hierarchical structures, acquiring theological knowledge through learning grants spiritual development, Rome/Latinboos
Eastern Orthodoxy
>love mysticism, vague definitions that leave room for meditation, hard-on for traditions, very much into ascetism, hierarchy is somewhat looser, Byzantiboos
Protestanism
>kicked out half the Holy Tradition in order to blindly follow a book that is a product of the tradition that they just proclaimed to be heretical

Basically, when a Catholic encounters a new religious issue, he writes out a 200 page long detailed philosophical and theological proposed solution that is then reviewed by the Pope. The Orthodox gathers 400 bishops, they fast for a week and call the new issue an unsolvable mystery. The Protestant starts foaming about idols, has a seizure and splits into twelve more denominations.

catholicism
>gays and abortions are bad cause God said so
Protestantism
>we can marry many times as we want and attack Catholics for shits and giggles

The protestant tries to get every believer to partake into the discussions as it is every soul at stake.

Btw, sorry, post again, I think maintain was not a good word, English is also not my native tongue.

it's just a nominal thing, nobody really pays attention to it anymore.
except in shitholes like Brasil or Mexico.

Catholics worship the pope, statues, buy off sins and tend to be atheist or pretend Christians who go to church to socialize.

For example being a catholic increases your chance of being a criminal of member of the mafia by 10000%.

Roman Catholicism and Eastern Orthodoxy are very similar, originally they were almost the same (though they still had differences, which is to be expected since Roman Catholicism is culturally Italian and Eastern Orthodoxy is culturally Greek), but eventually they had a political feud and the Orthodox decided that they changed their mind about the definition of the Church founded by Peter, and they decided out of complete butthurt that communion with Rome was no longer necessary. Other than that though, the Eastern Orthodox tend to be more traditional in matters of liturgy and such, and both churches are pretty legit.

Protestantism is literally a scam invented by butthurt Germanics who were butthurt that Latin people still had the monopoly over all matters of culture and faith. Their religion is a complete joke; Luther claims that the Bible is the absolute and sole truth of the universe and that it's all that matters, and yet he edited a TON of shit out of the Bible. Talk about complete hipocrisy. And Anglicanism is even worse, it's literally just some king who wanted to get divorced who invented it, and then combined it with the vanity that is typical of English culture, and yet Anglicans now act like their faith has some sort of real theological validity. Baptists are even more far removed from the actual roots of Christianity, because they felt branches of protestantism such as Lutheranism were "too complicated", hence why baptism is so popular in the US. Finally, Mormonism is literally a retarded sect which somehow took off because it gives you multiple wives and has cool stories about aliens and AMEEEERICAAAAA. If it were created today, it would simply be branded a dangerous perverted sect and its leader would be arrested, but because it happened in the 19th century it somehow survived (though they still had to flee to present-day Utah).

>or pretend Christians who go to church to socialize.
Funny you say that, seeing as the decline of protestantism in the Netherlands is so great that Catholics now outnumber Protestants (even though in the past protestants outnumbered catholics 2 to 1).

>Basically, when a Catholic encounters a new religious issue, he writes out a 200 page long detailed philosophical and theological proposed solution that is then reviewed by the Pope. The Orthodox gathers 400 bishops, they fast for a week and call the new issue an unsolvable mystery. The Protestant starts foaming about idols, has a seizure and splits into twelve more denominations.
top lel

Catholics are the patrician Christians, the rest are varying degrees of rabble

That just confirms what I said. Only real religious protestants go to church while for catholics it's just a cool thing to say.

>Only real religious protestants go to church while for catholics it's just a cool thing to say.
proofs?

The reason Luther decided to do way with the apocrypha is because he found them to be unhistoric, something that also many thought before him, like Hieronymus (truth be said though he would sometimes refer to them as scriptures), there is also a reason why the Roman church sees them as deutro canonical. While there is still wisdom to be gained from them, they are not on the same level as the other books.

Also please be aware that the reformation did also help spur the counter-reformation which did a lot to help reform certain practices in the catholic church like simony, yes the catholic church always was against it, but Trent did help to counter it.

I think personally that the rise of Protestantism had two sides to it, the theological (sola X3) and the more temporal (the percieved/real mismanagment of the church at the time), I am not sure what would have happened if that last thing was not so, but I do think the Roman church did a lot to learn from it.

>De katholieken ontkerstenen het hardst: nog maar 11,7% van de Nederlanders noemt zich katholiek. Daarvan gelooft 17% in een persoonlijke God en 13% in het bestaan van een hemel. 5% gaat regelmatig naar de Kerk.
12% is Catholic. And 17% of them believes in a God that involves itself in personal matters. And 13% of them believes in heaven.

katholieknieuwsblad.nl/commentaar/god-in-nederland

- catholics are shit-tier everywhere but the states
- protestants are god-tier everywhere but the states
- orthodoxes are shit-tier and have that little diagonal footrest in their cross

any else are just cultists

One major difference between Catholics and Lutherans is that Catholics believe in Transubstantiation which means that they believe that during the eucharist the bread really turns into Jesus' flesh. This is not a joke and not meant to be taken metaphorically. They really believe that it physically turns into Jesus' body. If you don't do that then you are not a Catholic.

For Lutherans this change is only a metaphor.

So, 87% of the catholics don't even believe in heaven lol.

literally a meme religion

the difference is that Catholicism is the one true faith

>Orthodox
Born out of the Roman Empire in Constantinople, was the main force for Christianity throughout the Empire and thus became "orthodox"

>Catholics
The Overseer of the Churches in actual Roman got over ideas and said "WE WUZ PETER N SHIT" and basically made themselves an authority which was helped by the splitting of the Empire between East (Orthodox) and West (now Catholic)

>Protestantism
Le epin nail sign guy "Scripture only, not Popes and indulgences ok PRAISE PAUL" which was picked up by the growing bourgeoisie and mercantile classes in Northern Europe who saw it as favourable to economy not to bind themselves to foreign authority

It's the essence that changes not the species.

That's because according to the Bible, Jesus very explicitely said that you should eat his flesh and drink his blood via bread and wine, even when given the chance to nuance what he was saying and explain "oh it was just a metaphor teehee :)" he didn't back down.

The species is just the outward appearence and I agree on that it would be even more difficult to convince yourself of that. Other than that you belive that you are literally and in reality eating the body of Jesus.

Also, for some additional context, back then, in the Jewish religion, drinking any animal blood (and eating the bloody flesh of any animal) was seen as a horrible thing to do. So drinking human blood was pretty much the worst, most disgusting thing one could do in those days, and yet Jesus was telling everyvody that was exactly what they should do...to him.

Si soy un mono ignorante y no sé nada. I meant culturally and not religiously my friend, catholics are more prone to subjectivity and protestants are more prone to cold-heartly analyze everything, disregarding the human factor. Hence why catholics usually excel at arts, cuisine, music and other factors and protestants at sciences, economy, industry and other stuff. But sure keep on that superior façade that you sure get somewhere

The pic comes from eo.nl/geloven/nieuws/item/nederland-is-god-kwijt-geraakt/ by the way, which is the site of the religious media in the Netherlands.

According to them 14% of the Dutch people believe in organized religion. 28% thinks there might be something, but don't know what. 34% is agnostic (meaning they have no idea if there is a God or not). And 24% atheist.

So religious people are pretty much the fedoras here.

the general lutheranism here is that you should doubt everything

the priests have zero authority and the old testament is just metaphorical tales

"you can believe what you want to believe"

Yes, sacraments are suposed to be miraculous, if you're going to question miracles not much point in the new testament is there?

>nation with one of the highest suicide and depression rates in the world
>also a godless nation

COINCIDENCE?

have you ever met a sad retard

yes, every time I ever ran into a finn

It was "horrible" because of the Noahide law which states that the blood should return to the "Earth" and thus God which was a concession God makes to Humanity that if they want to kill something animals are now ok but don't drink the blood ok.

Not giving the blood back to God was considered an offense hence why Koser and Halal tradition involves cutting the throat and draining the blood of animals.

This is a very complex issue, but the best way to explain it is by saying that Christ does not need to be sacrificed again. He did that on the cross.

Like you rightfully say this was a culture which saw that as horrible, yet the Jews used this kind of language too, Deuteronomy 8:3 states that we 'eat' the word of the Lord. To eat the covenant, I think we as Christians (assuming that Catholics do see protestants as albeit misguided Christians) can agree that Jesus Christ is the fulfillment of the law, but just like the Jews meant it metaphorically, so protestants too believe that it was metaphorically. I do wish to note though that even though our German friend said Lutherans believe in a metaphorical transubstantiation, Lutherans believe the essence of Christ is in the bread while calvinists (and others) are the more metaphorical leaning ones.

>tfw too intelligent to be happy

have you ever even actually met a finn

>That is why catholic countries are poor
>Austria, France, Belgium and Bavaria are poor

rekt

finns are of average intelligence

sure, they're intelligent at maths and sciences, but too dumb to figure out how social interactions work

you can't really get ahead in life with knowing how to hold a conversation

>assuming that Catholics do see protestants as albeit misguided Christians
You're still going to hell

which is why no one can name notable finns except for simo hayha and unclesampatriot

>and attack Catholics for shits and giggles

Only in Ireland Seamus.

>which is why no one can name notable huehues except for gisele and senna

>but the best way to explain it is by saying that Christ does not need to be sacrificed again

But the Catholic and Eastern Orthodox Churches don't say that Christ is sacrificed again; the sacrifice is one and the same.

>but too dumb to figure out how social interactions work

Have you ever thought that maybe finns just don't like oversocialising. We value solidarity and personal space, but other see it as rude.

Why would he go to Mexico?

>simple conversation
>"over"socializing

Are we going to have to raid your chan again?

Austria, France, Belgium and Bavaria are poor

>Secular, Extremely not a real country, Secular, Not a real country

Have fun finding an religious person who is actually religious in those cunts

I just wanted to say that I absolutely despise the Evangelical nutjobs we have here, thanks America.

how's that even possible if foreign ips are blocked except for the foreign ip playground subreddit

You'd rather take some parish priest's cock in your ass?

>Catholicism
A strange mix of pagan traditions and the one monotheistic Lord. He's also split into three aspects, known as the father, son, and holy spirit. They also believe in sainthood and martyrdom for individuals whose piety is inspirational.
>Eastern Orthodoxy
Literally the most traditionalist Christian principle. Basically think orthodox Jews who believe in the New Testament, except they're not ethnically Jewish. They believe in saints and martyrdom.
>Protestant
A hugely mixed bag, with some communes (such as Lutherans and Anglicans) imagine Catholics that didn't want to belong to the papal hierarchy. That said, they're is a huge range of reformist beliefs that have taken hold, predominantly in the US, which involve taking it even further and denying things like sainthood, and there's some that are opposed to things like charity even (see the Evangelist movement). Many denominations are political, many are not. Hard to lump them together, honestly.
>Baptists
A type of Protestant. In my experience, hugely political and fundamentalist. Take very literal definitions of the bible and will consider modern science as heresy. Generally they believe that no matter what problem you have, you can pray it away. Poverty? Pray it away. Homosexual child? Pray the gay away. Broken rib? Pray it away. Dirty laundry? Prayer, boom it's clean.
>Mormons
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. From what I understand, as the name suggests, they're incredibly reformist. So incredibly reformist that they believe their founder was more or less the second coming of Christ. They tend to value community above most other Christians (if you can even call them that). Honestly not a bad lot, if you ignore the fact that they're religion is a bit out there.