Cannes day 8

Cannes day 8.

Julieta received warm reception.
Aquarius joins the front of the pack.
Ma'Rosa gets mostly bad press.

Today screens the Dardennes, Kore-eda, The Red Turtle (animated film by Michael Dudok de Wit and Studio Ghibli) and The Wailing (seemingly well-crafted Korean thriller from the guy behind The Chaser and The Yellow Sea. It also has US distribution starting May 27th.)

Reviews: fandor.com/keyframe/category/daily
Apichatpoll: todaslascriticas.com.ar/cannes/2016
ScreenDaily grid: screendaily.com/festivals/cannes/cannes-2016-screens-dailies/5103530.article
Screening times: wask.fr/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Grille_Cannes2016_wask.pdf

Other urls found in this thread:

todaslascriticas.com.ar/cannes/2016
variety.com/2015/film/news/gus-van-sants-sea-of-trees-booed-at-cannes-premiere-1201497795/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

When do the rewards get given out? Is it on the last day?

The last day this sunday

no, they have a lottery on the first day and that's how they pick the winners

so that's why people keep saying refn will win

I can see a lot of people leaving out the neon demon

People should not relate the red turltle with ghibli, looks very different

It is literally being produced by Ghibli.

Dardennes reactions in an hour.

stop it brood

they won't leave guaranteed, Refn and Fanning are eye candy

You forgot the Dolan press screening tonight.
I'm hype, it's gonna be destroyed.

Why does everybody hate Dolan again? I know he has a very punchable face. But Mommy was alright, haven't seen his others.

>I'm hype, it's gonna be destroyed.
are you sure?

He's a superficial filmmaker.

Watch more, the rest is melodramatic schlock and Mommy itself hinged on a lot on conceptually puerile shit.

>Dardennes reactions in an hour.
Will they ever make a bad movie?*
Rosetta is still my favorite Palme d'Or

>and Mommy itself hinged on a lot on conceptually puerile shit
That barely matters, what counts is how they are presented and developed; also, plenty of great cinema hangs on shallow concepts

Okay, trigger warning and spoiler, don't look if you have a bad reaction to traumatic events: Dheepan

So far la fille inconnue only has 'meh' ratings on todaslascriticas.com.ar/cannes/2016

>tfw the screening of The Wailing is almost empty...

;_;

I think he utilized those concepts well -- even the gimmicky screen-widening made for, in my opinion, two great moments. The first opening being like a breath of fresh air, and then the (did it open or close) second when the montage of his possible-future played.

A lot of the film dragged, though, and it was visually pretty dull, and the narrative itself has been done a million times.

oh well. I don't understand why they would use Adèle Haenel as a lead, she's annoying and not that good.
They should have just go with Cotillard again or better yet Emilie Dequenne, she's become such an underrated, amazing actress. I don't understand why they don't work with her anymore.

Oh just realized that Anders Danielsen Lie is in Personal Shopper !
Based

What movie can be similar to that this year?

i want to see reactions of that, i like the yellow sea

Huh, I thought he stopped acting. Sweet. He's fucking great. Isn't he a doctor married to a supermodel IRL?

as far as middlingly-reviewed films about social issues made by legacy directors go this year you've got I, Daniel Blake fitting that spot precisely

Any reaction of La fille inconnue?

refn will win the leaf

Blake Williams @Astrostic
The Unknown Girl (5.7): So the Dardenne bros are Asghar Farhadi fans, eh?

Jordan Cronk @JordanCronk
THE UNKNOWN GIRL (Dardenne): Perhaps in legacy mode but still finely wrought. Less schematic/more morally complex than 2 DAYS. B #Cannes2016

Cinema Scope @CinemaScopeMag
It's D Day! And by that of course I mean Xavier.

David Jenkins @daveyjenkins
The Unknown Girl (Dardennes) It's hard to be a saint in Seraing. Full-bore murder mystery, otherwise business as usual (& business is good).

Marc v.d. Klashorst @MarcVDKlashorst
La fille inconnue: Hasselt excels in small character study, but there is very little payoff. Light booing .

FilmLand Empire @FilmLandEmpire
GOKSUNG is majestically evil, like a beautiful gangrene. The genre-tastic tonic I needed in my life, loved it! #Cannes2016

Justin Chang @JustinCChang
THE WAILING (Na Hong-jin): Beautifully observed, low-key humanism at its finest. Can't wait for the Dardenne brothers remake. #Cannes2016

Nikola Grozdanović @nikgroz
Zombies, ghosts, devils & grusome murders: THE WAILING is frightening and hilarious and freakishly entertaining. Time flew! #Cannes2016

Simon Kinnear @kinnemaniac
THE WAILING: Absolutely freakin' crazy. So OTT that nearly *every* scene tips over into enjoyable, exhausting, excess. #Cannes2016

Eli Hayes @HayesEli
#Goksung AKA #TheWailing has to be one of the best/most insane Korean films I've ever seen. Melancholic madness. #Cannes2016 #TheStrangers

Alison Willmore @alisonwillmore
THE WAILING: I love THE CHASER and THE YELLOW SEA, but desu not really sure I get this one.

Mehdi Omaïs @MehdiOmais
Na Hong-jin est un cinéaste majeur. La place de son extraordinaire #Goksung était en compétition. Grosse grosse claque. #Cannes2016

I expected more praise with the Dardennes

Which day is going to be shown the new film by Serra?

Sieranevada will win

some people called it the new Winter's Sleep and i love that movie, i'm okay with it

Pretty mediocre festival so far. Nothing is truly amazing, but there are some good films. The majority seems to be just 'meh'.

Are you reading about the same festival as I am?

I'm more surprised that he gets taken seriously at all considering most of his films are facile and amateurish as hell. I don't hate him, I just think he's getting too much credit and he needs to settle down for a few years and come back when he has more experience and he's written something good.

it's a pretty good one. sounds like there's something for everyone. no Sea of Trees/Grace of Monaco scale disasters either.

he's a soap opera director and all his films consist of people shouting their feelings at each other. he's fucking awful.

Sea of Trees was that big?

Yes.

Apichatpoll last year:
The Assassin - 8.89
Carol - 8.26
Cemetery of Splendour - 8.53
Inside Out - 8.19
Arabian Nights - 8.7
Visit or Memories and Confessions - 9.12

And a lot of 7s.

This year:
Sieranevada - 8.36
Tony Erdmann - 8.17
Paterson - 8.03
La Tortue Rouge - 8.17 (but only 3 votes)

And that's it.

>The Assassin - 8.89
>Carol - 8.26

And they were both garbage

did you even read the news last year? Literally no one liked it:
variety.com/2015/film/news/gus-van-sants-sea-of-trees-booed-at-cannes-premiere-1201497795/

>The Assassin
>garbage
congrats, you triggered me.

I'll grant you that there doesn't seem to be a film that stands up the any of the four major arthouse films screened last year. But Serra and Verhoeven have still yet to go. Toni Erdmann is hailed as one of the strongest films screened in 20 years (but one can't feel like it's a bit of a departure in style if it's so lauded elsewhere), and overall the competition seems strong.

The festival is not over

ok, that explains why was never released here, fuck

I've heard the first reviews for the new Dardenne brothers film, 'The Unknown Girl', have been disappointing, which sucks. They've been pretty consistent with the quality of their films, so I hope it's just a few people that disliked it, and it'll do better. Either way, I'm checking it out, I respect the directors too much not to.

Don't think so, 3h romanian drama doesn't sound sexy enough, especially for Miller.
My money is on tony erdmann

who keeps the palme

they take turns

What else is there? The Salesman? Maybe Elle? I don't expect any masterpieces.

S E R R A

>he's a soap opera director
This
His films have the depth and complexity of a plate of poutine

Leave Palme d'Or to me.

what a goddamn dweeb

What about The Wailing ?

Lol two bourgeois scum pretending to lived the hard life

Refn pls, god knows what have you done with the neon demon

What about it? It's been getting good reviews, some have been shared here. I'm looking forward to it.

something like that yeah

She's not bourgeois, she's upper class.

He recently did a interview with a Danish culture channel about cannes (god he's so awkward)
>What's your relations to The Cannes-Festival?
>Cannes is like the funniest party. Everything that is glamourous & beautiful is gathered here and all that is vulgar also is here. It is really funny.

She's from the high bourgeoisie mate.
Grandfather is the boss of Pathé
Uncle is the boss of Gaumont
Two of the most powerful cinema entity in France
Other uncle owns a football club
She was born in silk sheets

Why are you making neo-communist pottery though?

I just saw that, and it really crapped out on the ending. How it won over Carol, Son of Saul, The Assassin, and Sicario is beyond my gaze.

What could be thinking?

How it won over Carol, Son of Saul, The Assassin, and Sicario is beyond my gaze
>And The Lobster and Tale of Tales and Macbeth and Youth

i'm the only who thinks Youth is underrated?

yes it's vulgar italian shit

It's getting a good reception on twitter, but it seems to just be thriller/horror fans and not the major critics.

I can't blame anyone for skipping yet another violent Korean thriller in 2016 for other things

You sure as shit isn't. For whatever reasons, many haters appeared after Sorrentino got the Oscar. Buncha fucking hipsters.
The guy is great and Youth was one of the best of last year as LGB is top of the decade.

>The guy is great

All three Italian directors from last year's comp (Moretti, Sorrentino, Garrone) are putrid.

Some people skipped it because it comes out on US shores on the 27th. There's another screening tonight too. It's been called the better Korean thriller than the Handmaiden.

erickohn @erickohn
The profound simplicity of THE RED TURTLE. Bravo! #Cannes2016

Isabel Stevens @IsStevens
Time for the S word: Michael Dudok de Wit's The Red Turtle is SUBLIME. A hand-drawn animated marvel.

Marc v.d. Klashorst @MarcVDKlashorst
The Red Turtle: this is what perfection looks like. Mesmerizing poem about the cycle of life and man’s relation with nature #cannes2016

Ryland Aldrich @RylandAldrich
Not a dry eye in the premiere screening of Michael Dudok De What's THE RED TURTLE. Audience needed the long standing o to compose. #Cannes

Peter DeBruge calls it "The most purely auteurist project to be found at the Cannes Film Festival this year."

David Jenkins @daveyjenkins
The Red Turtle (Dudok de Wit) Splash meets Cannibal Holocaust meets the Book of Genesis. A marval of artisan craft, but not really my thing.

Jordan Cronk @JordanCronk
THE RED TURTLE (Dudok de Wit): Suitably lyrical and occasionally odd (Ferran!), but leans a bit weepy and woozy. Team Croquette. [C+]

Blake Williams @Astrostic
The Red Turtle (5.2): As far as animated films with implicit bestiality and necrophilia go, this one seems just okay? "Pretty." "Elemental."

post yfw Neon Demon gets panned

>he thought he was making a great, btfoish point posting that film
:)

Nice to know that the lad doing the 'work' of these Cannes thread is a huge undisguised pleb.

Sorry mate!

But if you're the same guy as
How do you actually go about thinking Macbeth deserves to win anything?

I didn't expected this reactions for the red turtle

>entry level catnip for normie hipsters
>wow hes so le young iz there anything he cant do xd
>oeuvre is all melodramatic shit

Being the best Shakespeare adaptation in some moons helps the matter. Kurzel did an even better feverish work than what he did with Snowtown. Beautifully crafted film that gives new power to the old text, fine turns by leads, genuine surprises in visual symbolism; it's early but it already can be seen as better than Polanski's and Kurosawa's.

Why has to be panned?

I thought the performances were downright terrible. Extremely monotone.

But how, my man? When the words and faces conveyed such emotion and pain? Yikes

Prepare for the alternating Dolan praise and hatred

erickohn @erickohn
The most striking thing about each new Xavier Dolan film is how no 2 are alike, and yet they still feel linked. #ItsOnlyTheEndOfTheWorld

Charles Bramesco @intothecrevasse
IT'S ONLY THE END OF THE WORLD: home is where the hatred is. Dolan retreads old territory, but it feels new every time. This thing bangs.

Tim Grierson @TimGrierson
IT'S ONLY THE END OF THE WORLD: A terribly misjudged dysfunctional family melodrama. Dolan's shameless flair sinks a stranded cast. #Cannes

Gregory Ellwood @TheGregoryE
Loved Mommy but dear god, Xavier Dolan's It's Only The End of The World is an on the nose stylistic mannered mess. #Cannes2016

Justin Chang @JustinCChang
IT'S ONLY THE END OF THE WORLD: That Dardenne brothers movie doesn't look so bad now, does it? #Cannes2016

Guy Lodge @GuyLodge
IT'S ONLY THE END OF THE WORLD (C) An experiment: character conflict without any characters. Kodak colour hot and wet on the screen, though.

Donald Clarke @DonaldClarke63
New Xavier Dolan, IT'S ONLY THE END OF THE WORLD, biggest disappointment of #Cannes2016 A beautiful, shrill mess.

Peter Bradshaw @PeterBradshaw1
Xavier Dolan's Only The End Of The World was histrionic, claustrophobic, brilliant and mad: the movie equivalent of Motörhead #Cannes2016

Diego Lerer @dlerer
One hundred minutes of cinematic torture film by Xavier Dolan. I was facing a firing squad. The worst of #Cannes2016

Maybe this means I won't have to put up with his dicksuckers this year...

Dolan was booed too lol.
Very few clapping.

Sounds great

>Peter Bradshaw @PeterBradshaw1
>Xavier Dolan's Only The End Of The World was histrionic, claustrophobic, brilliant and mad: the movie equivalent of Motörhead #Cannes2016

This man likes everything

>THE WAILING (Na Hong-jin): Beautifully observed, low-key humanism at its finest. Can't wait for the Dardenne brothers remake. #Cannes2016

>IT'S ONLY THE END OF THE WORLD: That Dardenne brothers movie doesn't look so bad now, does it? #Cannes2016
Based Justin.

>Motorhead
>histrionic, claustrophobic, brilliant and mad
None of those words have ever come to mind when listening to Motorhead

More:

Xan Brooks @XanBrooks
Dolan's IT'S ONLY THE END OF THE WORLD: indulgent sweet-&-sour family fondant. Some tasty moments, low nutritional value #Cannes2016

Nick James @filmnickjames
Xavier Dolan's JUST LA FIN DU MONDE is a long day's journey into narcissism. Ultra- hysteric perfs and themes he's already flogged better

Jordan Ruimy @mrRuimy
Dolan's It's Just The End of the World is an abomination. A film by a narcissistic director whose ego that's finally gotten the best of him.

Fiona Williams @anythingbutfifi
IT'S ONLY THE END OF THE EORLD: Empty histrionics with film school 101 clichés. #Cannes2016

Brent Lang @BrentALang
Xavier Dolan's "It's Only the End of the World' is a pretentious bore. Even Marion Cotillard is awful #Cannes2016

God is fucking real.

>mfw no one believed me when I said it was the Dolan backslash year

Confirmed film of the year

THE DOLAN BUBBLE HAS FINALLY POPPED

>all these people celebrating in tragedy
sm.h

Damn, and the start was so strong with Sieranevada and Toni Erdmann.

>First two days
>It's the best Cannes in years
>Now
>flop, disappointment, "not the director's best, but..."