How long into learning a new language before you can read it?

>How long into learning a new language before you can read it?

I have been learning Russian for around 1.5 months and I know perhaps 100-150 words and I cannot read anything because I know so little of the language I have to constantly look up almost every word. I try reading the russian wiki or russian Sup Forums but it is too advanced for mt.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Russian/Loanwords
amazon.com/New-Penguin-Russian-Course-Beginners/dp/0140120416
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Dude it takes years to learn a language

Ummm,not really
Took me three months to learn italian

And this is why you use some sort of book made for learning languages. It introduces you into some simple rules amd few words, then it continue to add up things.

And like year later you find yourself able to read and understand to some degree.

Ive bought a book considered to be the best for learning russian and I use DUolingo and Memrise daily for around 45minutes a day between all 3

1.5 months is practically nothing, especially in a language like Russian if you don't already speak a slavic language.

That is cool but
>why do you learn russian in the first place дpyг?
Do you plan to fight putin personally?

I wasnt too worried but last time I talked to Sup Forums about it I had a million responses like saying they learned a new language completely within 6 months or less.

Depends of how similar the language is to your own or other you've already learnt. Also, for some individuals is easier to learn a language than others.
It took me 6 months to be able to read simple child books in Japanese. While in two months I acquired the exact same level with French.

wouldn't take any of Sup Forums too seriously for honest advice pal

Other type of language thread

Why russian?

I was able to read Danish after 1 month, but I've been learning Chinese for God knows how long and I am still stuck at school book texts.

Isnt danish very similar to dutch? Russian is nothing like english.

Yeah I know, that's the point.
I also started learning Vietnamese and because it's has done similar vocabulary as Chinese this is easier than it would be when starting from nothing.

>tfw too smart to learn a language

You know English, it's the master language, why learn anything else?

then post italian you stupid muslimnigger

French is hard.

I thought it shared some similarities with spanish?

You could theoretically be fluent in about 8 months.

But when I was back in school I learned 60 words or so in a few hours.

I mean French or German words. I have no idea how difficult Russian is.

As if you understand italian,burgerking

I imagine it would be much harder than a western european language, not only is russian a different alphabet but it shares nothing in common with those languages.

Why would you learn Russian? It's useless ugly language.

Je connais ce sentiment.

Russian is neat.

> it shares nothing in common with those languages.
Both are indo-european languages and they have a lot in common.
And Russian is full of loanwords from German, Dutch, English, French en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Russian/Loanwords

I'm trying to learn it
I like it

because its neat.

outside of that its nothing, the grammar and syntax is not even close.

depends on the language. french would be easier to you obviously, or even spanish. but russian or japanese or arabic are all a lot harder. duh. why are you even asking this.

Because this is my first language. How long did it take for you to learn English?

10 years in school then we had English in uni too. And I still suck.

Damnit, so I have alot of growing since ive only been in it 2 months.

It's much easier to learn foreign languages as a child. I wouldn't be able to learn another language now.

Took me about a year to get at the meh level, being able to read simple texts. And about 5 years to get really fluent. But understanding spoken English can still be challenging depending on the accent. But English is the simplest language in the world. So like I said, depends on your 1st language and the language you are learning. But English is very easy to learn if your first language is literally any European language. Russian is fucking hard. When some of you guys post questions about the Russian grammar, I see all those scary tables and I'd be like fuck this is insane. I wouldn't ever be able to memorize that. I think it is a flawed approach. It is easier to learn like a child by imitating.

>Ive bought a book considered to be the best for learning russian
What book?

amazon.com/New-Penguin-Russian-Course-Beginners/dp/0140120416

Using it in conjunction with the apps so you can hear the pronunciation is useful.

What app? I'm on chapter 11 right now. The reflexive words are pretty hard to remember

duolingo and memrise. Both are free. The conjugations are kicking my ass. When you drop a letter off of a 3 letter word and add 2 new letters it looks like a whole new word.

Not him, but before I gave up on Russian, I used a stress dictionary. It's a phonetic language, so you don't need some fancy pronunciation app.

>pro-tip: you'll probably give up too, so it's better to just quit now.

>tfw trying to learn French but I keep losing motivation and getting lazy

Why did you give up? And how long did you stick with it?

>it's a phonetic language

I stuck with it for a few (two to three) months and realized that I had made almost zero progress. I then extrapolated and realized how long it would eventually take to git gud.
>psst: ask any ruskie. They'll tell you that even the ones who have learned the language for five years are still shit.

Dumb kraut.

To become fluent yeah, but it only takes maybe half a year until you can read decently with a dictionary.

True. McFaul for example(your ex-ambassador) studied it for many years in Russia after getting masters in slavic languages in US. And he sounds like retard and makes a lot of mistakes in every sentance.

Russian is a terrible choice for an english speaker. It has very different grammar word stems and idioms. You should probably switch to German even if Russian is your endgoal.
Many grammatical concepts that are present in Russian but disappeared from English can be found in German.

>German
Well I would never learn a cuck language like Swedish or German, but after I quit learning Ruskie, I went back to Czech.

Anything besides maybe one of the ching-chong languages is easier than Russian.

I have no practical use for either language. I have visited Russia a few times and I collect a lot of russian military surplus, worst case scenario I say fuck it and give up and lose nothing.

Please m8, Russian is NOT a phonetic language, stop shitposting

>lose nothing
You lose your time though. A lot of time, at which point I'm guessing should be the golden years of your life.

Durka durka allahu jihad.

No you can't blow up my house.

(You)

(أنت)

How is it not a phonetic language? It is not 100% phonetic, but compared to English it is pretty fucking phonetic.

And yes, the OP will give up in about 2 months tops. It is very frustrating not being able to make steady progress, believe me.

He doesn't understand the intricacies of different languages. He mostly speaks Arabic.

>How is it not a phonetic language? It is not 100% phonetic
You just answered your own question there lad

>ありがとう in kanji form
Disgusting.png

Generally learning a second language makes you better in your native language.

16 years. I’ve started when I was 2 and by 18 I got all the tricky parts.

I know, past tense doesn’t work like that.

ok so how hard would Russian be if my first language is Spanish and I speak English fluently? I started yesterday

Hard. But it depends on what your goals are. Mastering the alphabet would take 1 week for a dumb person. Pronouncing words is the first obstacle. Declension is the second (you’ll give up here). Third is verbs.

When will I be able to read The Brothers Karamazov

Year 2027.

Viviendo aquí por 3 meses y tomando clase 4 días a la semana algo leo y hablo pero sigo en nivel bebé y ni siquiera hemos terminado todos los mugrosos casos. Y no es exactamente que nos enseñen lento porque cada semana se siente el progreso, así que diría que es simplemente la malparidez del idioma.

if the language isnt form your language group it will be over 10 years

ive used english for several years in my spare time and looked up new words almost everyday.

i can read Sup Forums with almost no troubles but cant still do articles with redundant expressions/words like on guardian.

tho ive never "learned" it. ive only used and tried it.

>French
>losing motivation and getting lazy
seems like you'll be fluent in french pretty soon

not too bad

Que tan difícil dirías que es la conjugación de los verbos comparado al español? y eso de la declinación?

its disgusting. pretty impressive you feel the way i do

>a literal chimpanzee

>conjugación de los verbos
Hm, los verbos en español tienen más conjugaciones por las conjugaciones en pasado, futuro y condicional (en ruso el pasado solo depende del género y número y el futuro imperfecto es usando быть + infinitivo, parecido al will be)
Pero luego teniendo en cuenta que los verbos tienen perfectivo e imperfectivo (2 jodidos verbos que significan lo mismo pero uno conjugado es presente y el otro se vuelve futuro)
Supongo que están igualados
>declinación
Eso es básicamente lo que da esencia al idioma así que claramente no es un paseo, pero no es particularmente difícil para un hispano como seria por ejemplo para un anglo.
En el español usamos artículos para dar sentido a la oración mientras el ruso usa la declinación. Yo me he dado cuenta de que la mayoría de las declinaciones se pueden asociar con una pareja de artículo+sustantivo, es útil tener eso en mente a modo de guía cuando vas a manejarte entre ambos idiomas

When will I be able to shitpost on Russian imageboards?

You can just go and talk shit in English. If you wanna do it in russian like 6 months for "drunk bydlo writing with his foot" level

The problem is that you're (probably) just reading books and/or using apps.

The only way that you're going to improve in Russian, English, or any other language, is to SPEAK it. Speak it every day, if you can, even if just for a few minutes.
>but I only know a few words!
Then use those few words.
>but I don't know any speakers of these languages
Interpals, Meetup.com, Busuu
>but I'm afraid of making mistakes
NOBODY GIVES A SHIT IF YOU MAKE A MISTAKE. What's the worst that can happen? Somebody might giggle once or twice? Try again.

SPEAK
SPEAK
SPEAK, god damn it.

The reason that I say this is that language and memory don't operate in exactly the same way. Just because you know something on an intellectual level (e.g., accusative case in Russian, subordinate clauses in English, etc.), it doesn't mean that you can/will use it perfectly all the time. Speak, make mistakes, and use those conversations to build your language skills. Yes, these conversations will be simple at first, but they will help you SO MUCH.

I say all of this as a linguist AND a language learner myself. I understand the current theoretical underpinnings of language acquisition, but that doesn't make me an expert language learner. I took Russian for two years, but I never fucking SPOKE it, so I forgot everything. Chinese, on the other hand, I started learning it on my own time and forced myself to speak it all the time, and now I'm up to an intermediate level. Get out there and use your languages!

But what if we totally butcher our limited knowledge of said language and get a complete misunderstanding and get tarzan syndrome

I chat everyday with a Chinese and even try calls, but I kind of get stuck at intermediate level, as many words are encountered infrequently, and I forget them too soon