Is Finnish worth learning?

Is Finnish worth learning?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludic_language
muinainensuomi.foorumimme.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1215&p=22302
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Too mainstream. You should instead learn Ludic, a Finnic language with 3000 speakers in Russia.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludic_language

No reason to learn a dying language.

Learn it to keep it alive.

only if you live in finland

Learn Karelian instead

Karelian is too similar to Finnish but Ludic is transitional between Karelian and Veps so learning it can triple the utility of your learning.

Seriously learning Finnish here. What are some good language learning tips? Any language books y'all recommend? Mondly and duo work ok but I never seem the memorize the words and doesn't seem too effective

Lopeta opiskeleminen.

The language can get pretty woowee when you start playing with postpositions and word extensions. Also if you ever speak with natives make clear you're still learning since most finns speak finnish differently. We lengthen or shorten the words how we like. Just like i think norwegian has Bokmal and the spoken version.

Ingrian isnt a """"Finnish""""" """"""dialect""""", its a Finnic dialect and its considered a language on its own, too bad there are like no native speakers left and the language is so heavily russified

Finns moved into Ingria(and some to Estonia too) in the early 17th century.
How do you not know this stuff?

Finns came from Estonia somewhere in the 2000bc.
How do you not know this stuff!

>2000bc

Well you don't really seem to have a clue about the timescale involved(protip: Finnish, Estonian, Saami, Mordvin and Mari were the same thing in 2000bc) but anyway Estonia is just a land, not some holy land.

But that's getting off topic. Ingria was about 80% Finnish in 1700.

it kinda is though. even kalevala takes place in estonia.

Kalevala takes place in SW Finland of the middle of 1st millenium.
Pohjola is central Ostrobothnia. Saari is Gotland.

Very much this Formal Finnish and spoken Finnish is very different from each other.

Start with the basics of the grammar, just the very required parts as you also increase your vocabulary at the same time.
Due to how Finnish grammar works it's very easy to make yourself understood as you learn the basics.
The rest should be coming more naturally, there are very complicated parts that even Finns who haven't studied the language don't understand or know, because it's rarely used (if even at all), so be careful not to go too deep into the grammar.
A lot of it is going to make you a better speaker, but it's not exactly required, and is better left alone until your vocabulary is good enough.

I don't know if I can recommend any language books, but things like YLE news and newspapers use formal/written Finnish, so it's a good source of daily reading to help you understand the language more.

What I can say is, because the language doesn't have a European origin (though it has some loans in both grammar and words), it's going to be very tedious, confusing and time consuming. So you need to stay motivated to learn it.

t. lived in Finland for 7 years

im pretty sure our Kalevipoeg takes place in Estonia and your Kalevala takes place in Finland

didnt they sail across a sea to pohjola though

>Is Finnish worth learning?
All languages that have practical use are worth learning.

in our Kalevipoeg they mentioned Finland also
Kalevipoeg (the main hero) went to Finland, some douchebag came and he killed him, he regretted it afterwards, then he went to a finnish swordsmith, he made the greatest sword for him, than some misunderstanding happened and he killed the swordsmiths son :DDDDDDDD
gotta love ancient folk stories

Well there's always Westrobothnia too where they can sail, but sailing is just a fast mode of travel so either works.
The references to "urosten upottajat" of Pohjola seems to allude to Leväluhta IMO although they drowned mostly women there but some men and animals were drowned too.

Trying to turn southern Finland into Pohjola doesn't work anyway because Karelians didn't come from Estonia but SW Finland.

Easiest way in this order:
- Finnish movies and series with subtitles.
- News about things that are mentioned in foreign news.
- Move to Finland. Though depending on profession it might be stupid.
- Practice grammar and take courses

>Kalevipoeg, The main hero
>Kalevipoeg went to Finland
>Got killed

Hopefully that doesent happen in the first page of the book :DD

>Is Finnish worth learning?

absolutely not

yes

What's wrong with you Joe?

First wawe came 8000-9000bc* when ice melted
and not from Estonia
Kalevala takes place mostly in Vienan Karelia

>First wawe came 8000-9000bc* when ice melted and not from Estonia

Yep. First culture was Swiderians from around Poland. Not sure what they would have to do with Finno-Ugric languages and Finnic people though.
>Kalevala takes place mostly in Vienan Karelia

Hardly. The stories were passed on there but reflect an older Finnish storytelling tradition of the iron age. Viena itself wasn't settled until quite late except by the Saami.

There any specific proofs for first statement

You mean Karelia

Finnish autosomal genetics don't match mesolithics European populations(not in Peurasaari even).

Compared to them we are practically identical with Indo-Europeans except for being slightly North Siberian influenced.

muinainensuomi.foorumimme.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1215&p=22302

That's a good forum btw, you can learn a lot about Finland there.

Is Saami the most archaic/conservative finnish language? The closest language to the original Uralic speech?

t. Used to live in Tartu and studied Eesti.

Nope it's the opposite.

It's highly influenced by some unknown language that was spoken here before Finno-Saamic speakers came from the south about 3000-3500 years ago.

Finnish is known as a "conservative Uralic language" whatever that really means.

Interesting! I wonder what that unknown language was.
That makes sense. Kuningas does come from proto-Germanic. So realistically, Finnish is an ancient language unchanged for 2000 years. I guess now I can use my Estonian to learn Finnish. I like the sound of it btw

why the fuck would anyone ever try to learn finnish? It's pretty much impossible to become completely fluent in finnish if you are an anglo, and everyone worth talking to already speaks fluent english

also finland is a shit place you dont want to come here

If you want to get the finest boipucci you should learn it :3

get out from heres neegerman

It's the key to understanding 80% of all the memes