Interesting quote

Interesting quote
>It's an interesting space. We're seeing it in China in another form [who] now are hell-bent on winning a World Cup. So they're absolutely directing private funds, government funds to football because they think that's the way they're going to win a World Cup.
>"Now, if they don't, to what extent are they going to go to try and win a World Cup? That's the kind of space we're living in as a species at the moment, where governments are looking for some sort of identity and some sort of success, and sport is a vehicle for that.

Will the Chinese cheat to get national glory, or will they just pump their sweatshop money into success?

They've been cheating at sports for as long as the Russians i.e. forever.

Not sure how throwing money into the game does anything. I could spend a trillion dollars on soccer in America and it wouldn't change anything unless i paid people to play

Throwing bales of money at second-rate South American and African players will accomplish nothing, they need to start developing good players. They aren't even close to South Korea or Japan's level who themselves aren't close to being World Cup contenders. They won't be winning the World Cup for a very long time.

That's why they have the most wins/medals

How dumb are you? China not even top 5. USA has the most

>Cheat at sports
>still lose

Proving once and for all that The White man is superior to Asians in every way

They haven't cheated yet.

Once the pitches and kits have been bought, there's nothing else to do with the money but to pay the players...

Is "China has a shot at the World Cup within the next generation" the new meme? All of Asia is pretty shit, and China can't even qualify from there. As of late, we can consider USA as an above average team that won't really amount to anything spectacular. It's been long enough and the youth is still horrendous, the coaching is still stagnant and stale, and the league is still garbage, to a point where it seems to have hit a peak, being the 2nd best league in the region, nothing more, nothing less. China is importing overrated mercenary shit into their league instead of using it to develop actual coaches like Iceland, or players like Hungary, or anything local. They're just giving others paydays for doing half-assed jobs while the Chinese benefit from nothing. They have a saying that goes: "you get what you pay for". They culturally don't understand that overpaying in the civilized world gets you fuckers that just come for the free money. They're like a grand-scale Premier League.

A lot of that government money is going into grassroots football i.e. building local parks, public indoor pitches, and integrating soccer into the national PE curriculum at school. That's the long term plan for World cup glory - to slowly build up a footballing population

While the private sector is funneling their own funds into the superleague as a pet project to create the EPL of Asia. Sounds pretty stupid but if EPL, La Liga and Bundesliga dont make the right moves now to secure and consolidate their fanbase against China it /could/ end up being pretty popular in the East

Everyone is writing china off because they think they are trying to buy the world cup, but if olympics results are anything to go by, with enough money, people and most importantly time china could very well become a regular world cup qualifier from the AFC

Winning the world cup is a different story, however with tournaments they is always the chance they could meme it (e.g. greece in euros, porto in cl, portugal in euros)

>They haven't cheated yet.

South Korea already showed to the world that it doesn't work. It was so overwhelmingly obvious, they still didn't win, and to this day it's a source of national shame.

It's not possible to pay off any of the decent world-renowned refs, that's why in SK's games the refs were Egyptian or Ivorian or other refs nobody has ever heard of.

Then surprise surprise goals are ruled out unfairly, offsides are incorrectly given, players are wrongly sent off and South Korea wins. It was painfully obvious.

And as soon as they got to a game with a team that was too good for them even with their paid off officials they just lost anyway.

They ended up with no win and a destroyed reputation.

I remember the korean goverment gave 4th place medals to the korean players (4th place medals have never been given before). I also remember your president at the time waving his hands around like a retard in a manner like he was royalty and trying to make everything about himself.

Wouldn't that type of shit be embarrassing to the korean people? I always assumed asian culture would go against the type of stuff that was happening during the 2002 world cup and yet most of the articles I read say that the team from that world cup are seen as heroes and shit.

China's pride knows no shame, when it's time host they will repeat the entire Korean fiasco again.

In which year will China make it to the World Cup?

In which year will they get through the group stage?

Knockout?

Quarters?

Semis?

Final?

Winner?

I do not think they will make either the Russian- or Qatari-hosted WCs

China will only make it to the WC anytime soon when they host it and unless they bribe their way into the final, they won't be able to win shit. It will maybe take 3 or 4 generations until they are somehow decent like Russia.

Jesus that's some shitty Engrish.

Also rigging FIFA? But that's impossible! :^)

>2nd best league in the region

It's better than mexispicsq

Ofc but Russian team never was competitive since the 80's.

China could cheat, bribe and dope their way into a WC later stages but winning it this way would be so difficult

>Chinese benefit from nothing

Have to disagree here
they made a deal with Portuguese liga to have Chinese players play
they forbid foreign GK
they forcefeed football into the school system

They miss 1 thing tho, a good coaching culture

After living in China for a bit, I don't see how they could ever do it. If you think about Europe, the US or South America, the kids almost always have access to some kind of field (or something improvised). In the Chinese cities they really only get exercise when doing PE or something, otherwise there isn't a lot of space for sport. Even if you find some green space in a park that doesn't have people doing Tai Chi or something, the conditions are pretty bad. I took over a grass field in a park with some students to teach them ultimate frisbee and I almost twisted my ankle on a random hole that was covered in grass.

When I asked my class about sports and mentioned I played three, they were amazed as most of them didn't do sports as a kid. A lot spent more time studying, with tutors or some kind of talent (dance, singing, music, calligraphy, etc). Very few were playing basketball or pickup games like I would as a kid. I don't see their access to open fields improving any time soon and I don't see them becoming a powerhouse until at least 2050.