Anyone here ever drank mead? I want to try it and wouldn't mind some recommendations

Anyone here ever drank mead? I want to try it and wouldn't mind some recommendations.

Other urls found in this thread:

vinoshipper.com/wines/linganore_winecellars
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I love mead. Dont have any recommendations im afraid. It can be quite hard to find. Not many places sell it. Considered manning my own.

I'll add that I've had good and bad mead. It should be quite oily/syrupy but I've had some which were really watery.

There's a reason it's not popular. It's quite discusting.

>discusting

I'm guessing you've ne ear had mead, or at least good mead.

disgusting as opposed to what? and whats so bad about it?

Once, quite a while ago. I liked it.

Only hade one kind personally, it was watered downed and tasted like normal white wine. I wasn't a fan but a couple of my friends like it.

It tastes awful to me, but then again I prefer extremely hoppy beer

*tips fedora*

Beekeeper here

Never had mead but plan on making some with my mid-summer honey plunder. I hear it doesn't taste anything like honey, though...

If you could find some from B. Nectar it is great, the Zombie Killer from them is great but hard to come buy. There are always a few at bevmo too

>mid-summer honey plunder

Top keks

Don't be a contrary cunt.

That sounds like bad mead. Although good mead is oily and sweet, it's not sickly. It's really good. Just got to try different bottles until you find a good one. Or ask in a specialty shop. A cheap nice bottle is probably around £15.

No no honey tast at all
Hoppy beer is best

Well Mead is more like honey wine and not like beer so much.
It is sweet, almost like a dessert wine but not quite like honey

It's got a base taste as wine, which comes from a simmilar alcohol content, it's usually sweeter, has a floral, honeyish aroma and sweetnes, is a bit denser and heavier than wine, makes you feel warm in the stomach faster, is best enjoyed with food, greasy.

I prefer molska.

i dont hate it but its not that great. like a dry white wine with honey in it.

best enjoyed with food I guess

Lindisfarne

good mead is like this

Cranberry mead.

I started making mead this summer, I'll be opening a bottle of my first batch in a few months. I've gotten to try a couple meads, though mead variety is pretty hard to come by in the UK. The taste can vary a ton, all depending on how much honey used, alcohol content, etc. There's good meads and bad meads, a lot is personal preference too. Just think of it like an alternative to wine.

Why would you subject yourself to having to try multiple brands of fermented bee spit to try to find one that's not quite as nasty as the others?

Does a fedora somehow filter out the shit taste?

Roll your own is the way to go. Nothing like a good hot semi sweet sparkling ginger mead. It is a slow fermentation but really is very easy to brew correctly, just make sure not to boil the honey before hand or you will drive off all the fine flavors. Be warned a sweet mead hangover is the stuff of nightmares and legends. Seriously that shit will bite you for 2 days if you let it.

This thread was brought to you by Lyme Disease Winery. Remember, "You can't get enough of that weird tasting stuff"

You're an idiot. Some specialty shops will often offer samples. Besides, what's wrong with trying a few different types?

This is sooooo good.

I'd avoid flavoured ones eg cinnamon. Go for straight mead first off all

i thought mead was a made up alcoholic beverage in skyrim.

yeah boii

It's an ancient drink. The more you know

I once thought water was a made-up restricted-access area for select troops in age of empires. crazy

hmu babe

It wasn't flavored

>There's a reason it's not popular
Because it's a pain in the ass to make. It's also the oldest alcoholic beverage known to man.

well that just doesnt make sense.
water is everywhere fool.

>Besides, what's wrong with trying a few different types?

curious, how is it any harder than wine?

Honey tends to clump and spoil in a still.

some bees flew up my pantleg because I was stupidly wearing shorts, and now I can't really walk too good... all I can do now is sit at my computer and drink ... well, at least now I have a reason I guess

Whatever, faggot. Ok, get it, you vape.

if you live in a US state that allows alcohol to be delivered via mail, check out Linganore vineyards in MD. They make a Medeival Mead that is the drink of choicr at the MD renn faire and if you like sweet wines like moscato, you should enjoy it.

Find the driest stuff you can. But mead is fucking disgusting. Not to mention all the hipster douchefags drink it and it's flavoured with all kinds of gross shit now.
>Source: I sold beer, wine, and spirits for almost 10 years

who tf is distilling honey

>its flavored with all kinds of gross shit now
details?
source?

Sweet mead is only when honey has been added post-fermentation and conditioning. Unsweetened mead is like any other wine. I got some online from Hidden Legend Winery. Their Kings Mead is pretty good. I wanted to like bochet but I didnt.

i made a batch with strawberries does that count

You realize that you can't just throw honey into a vat of alcohol and get mead, right?

It's a bit sweet for my tastes, i prefer champagne tbh. Definitely worth a try though

vinoshipper.com/wines/linganore_winecellars

mix with a little water add a little yeast and viola

HURR DURR FEDORA BECAUSE THEY WANT TO TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT

Doesn't quite work like that. You've got to ferment it.

I heard you can fill a 5 gallon bucket about halfway with raw honey, add about a gallon of green tea, let it sit for a few months and then when its fully fermented it's some good shit but haven't tried

>And viola

viking blod by danke mjod is one of the best things ive ever had. extremely good meade. Im in the states tho so its hard to get it imported in. You can find it at hipster restaurants and pubs though. Great shit.

Jadwiga is good and B.Nectar as someone said.

My point. You ferment, then distill a proper mead. Or, you ferment, then fortify, for a shitty mead.

Yes, I love it.
A couple favs
>moonlight meadry
>leaky roof

Just buy what ever is in your price range. I like mead and mead with raspberries, or blueberries or blackberries too but traditional mead is tasty. Go to the store, see what's available, search it on your phone to see what beer advocate or who ever rates it. Try it if it appeals to you

Meaderies are making all kinds of meads: from apple pie to caramel to ginger. Ruining otherwise fine spices and flavors by putting them in cloyingly sweet garbage.

Viking Blod is okay, just not as good as their carraway wine.

You are wrong and naive. Traditional mead is not distilled over even boiled. Boiling a mead would mean a loss of aromatics from the honey

Source I'm a homebrewing biochemist and have won a silver medal in a brew comp for a mead I made

all i take from this comment is that they have branched out for more variety and that you disagree with that because it isnt like it used to be.
change is the only constant user

Im sure dude.

Source you're on Sup Forums.

Mead is quite nice, it's wine based so don't expect fizzy shit, it's quite sweet as well, on the whole I recommend

I'm sure you are wrong, mead is wine strength maybe 10-12% alcohol, well within the range for yeast to produce. It's not distilled

>You can find it at hipster restaurants and pubs

Make your own.

If you make your own use brewing yeast and not bread yeast or it will taste like shit

The dry brewing yeast used for mead is less than a dollar per packet

NOooo! You do not distill mead, its fermented honey water with sometimes added fruit. usually 10-14% alcohol and slightly to very sweet, usually sold in wine bottles. I will say its not terrible popular because it does have a very distinct taste that many people dislike at first. I dig it and make it all the time.

Its always been flavored with stuff. Fruits, spices, herbs. Its one of the oldest alcoholic drinks in the world. there are even names for what you put in it.

skyrim made me drink mead.
fuck you bethesda

Drank this, it was too sweet for my taste. Good at first but after a few sips it's not that good.