Hey Sup Forums. Is the universe infinite?

Hey Sup Forums. Is the universe infinite?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZL4yYHdDSWs
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

also will be dumping wallpapers, feel free to dump.

Why does everything exist?

yes

maybe

/thread

We don't know

if it's always expanding some would say it is!

We definitely don't know, but I think its infinite. I think everything that ever could happen, has/will happen.

Why should there not be existance?

nope, it's only been expanding for 13.8 billion years at the speed of light, so technically not infinite

If the universe was infinite with a finite amount of stars, then we wouldn't be able to see the stars in the sky because of the distance between all celestial objects. Unless of course, there were infinite stars, in which case the universe would be infinitely bright and we know that's not true.

The universe is not infinite.

Our world is becoming more complex every day, a process that has not stopped since as far back as we can measure. We are just one stepping stone among who knows how many, and look just how intricate and complex our world is. These evolving processes build on each other, so that their progression is exponential.

/thread. also see .

>infinitely bright
Uh oh

Isn't space expanding between stars? If this is the case, wouldn't there be galaxies so far away that their light would never reach us?

Big bang released all the energy for the universe, so unless it's still banging then there is a set amount of energy, soooo when energy spreads out then expansion will stop, but that's this dimension. So infinite amount of dimensions means 50% of infinite universe has a God and 50% of infinite universe has no God, basically universe is nihilistic.

No.

>infinitely bright
What is the inverse square law, nigger.

I like to think that we operate in an infinite world, if you think of the starting point of all matter to be the the simplest component, what could that be? What are neutrinos made of? I think us humans are very very big, along with every object we perceive, in fact maybe we are infinitely large if we were to compare us to the smallest of the components that make us up.

That assumes Homogeneity.

Actually it expanded faster than the speed of light, then the expansion rate slowed down and is slowly accelerating all the time.

dont think so, but we do know that space is constantly expanding, and everything is constantly moving further and further away from each other thanks to redshift/blueshift

Are you retarded? Nothing you just said makes sense or is true.

well it technically expanded faster than the speed of light, though only in relation to other parts of the expansion

this shit is so interesting. ive read a brief history of time and it makes me wish i was a physics major to start with. i went pre med instead

Scientists have discovered that every galaxy in the cosmos is moving away from every other galaxy in the cosmos, and the farther away something is, the faster it moves away, this is because supposedly space is being created everywhere but in small quantities, as the distance increases so does the amount of space between galaxies. We have no way of measuring past a certain point due to the speed of light limit, so we have no way of knowing if the universe stretches our infinitely and it all came from the same point.

made me lol

Incorrect. From roughly 10^-36 seconds to 10^-33 seconds after the big bang was the initial expansion of the universe. During this period of time, the universe was expanding at an exponential rate, exceeding the speed of light thousands of times over.

Spacetime doesn't give a fuck about the speed of light, since Spacetime is the medium through which light is moving.

it will happen user. thats what researches say. youtube.com/watch?v=ZL4yYHdDSWs

Yes very interesting. And what's also interesting are the questions that come up if the universe is indeed finite. Because if it is, why did it take this very particular set of laws? If there is one history (not a multiverse) and it started at the big bang, why these specific governing laws of physics?

in that case spacetime was expanding, technically different

Isn't it interesting. Would spacetime be within another medium? Because if spacetime contains all things, it couldn't expand into anything, right?

im sure the laws of physics came as a consequence of quantum mechanics

>Is the universe infinite?
most likely,

I think that there is two things that are infinite in this world we live in, the universe and human stupidity

Essentially yes.
In theory the bubble containing matter is only ~27.5 billion light years across but as the universe is essentially defined as matter passes into it then by somehow travelling beyond the bubble you're creating universe as you go meaning it has no end and is therefore infinite.

I definitely know you are full of shit.

That's not a meaningful statement. Everything exists in spacetime. It is the universe. You can't just take the things that have mass and call that the universe.

So are you.

Wrong question. The question should be: Is God infinite? And the answer to that, Yes. God is infinite.

There could very well be a god, the entity at the end point(?) of the evolution of life.

it isn't expanding into anything. it's just that the amount of space available keeps growing for whatever reason.

And would spacetime be unending in all directions?

what is the opposite of existance ?

The widely accepted answer is that there is nothing for it to be expanding into. It is everything. To think about "outside" the universe means to think in higher dimensions, where what we can perceive is no longer meaningful.

The hardest part of physics is accepting the parts that defy logic. And they exist. Like the law of conservation of energy. It doesn't actually apply within quantum physics. Things ACTUALLY disappear and reappear in a different location simultaneously. Electrons for example, do that when moving between different energetic states.

So, it's understandably difficult to accept that it isn't expanding into anything. It's simply expanding.

You cant have 50% of infinity

no you're full of shit

The opposite would be nothing? But nothing is our way to measure negation, it seems more a human concept.

Yes you can. It's infinity divided by 2, which is infinity. He never said it was an uncountable infinity.

Horseshit. You will burn in Hell for this sinning of yours. Turn to God now or be banished to the Underworld.

Revelation 21:8

Yes.

Space yes, universe no

See, it makes more sense if the universe is infinite but we can only perceive a linear version of it. The infinity wouldn't be that every single classifiable entity would be countably infinite, more that it would be impossible to measure and store the information of the entire universe (including any alternate timelines) and all of its properties and the emergence of new properties from previous entities, even if we had a device that could store all the information and time/resources weren't an issue.

An infinite universe where all possible physical laws exist seems more logical than a finite universe with specific laws.

if it's not closed like surface of a sphere then yes i think. if it's not then you could fly in a straight lie and came back where you came from. (except you can't because of the expansion you'd never catch up )

Interdasting. On a separate note, what would happen (if it were even possible) if a big bang event happened in the space of an already existing universe, I wonder?

I think according to some scientists this could happen, but I also think it's because they assume the big bang happened from a quantum fluctuation that came from nothing basically. If it occurs from nothing then I can imagine there should be an infinite amount of big bangs "everywhere".

Is society become more conscious, more aware? Where are we moving towards, what is the result of all our efforts? If nothing wipes us out, and we manage to simulate our own perpetual worlds, could those worlds have meaning? Meaning that we ascribe to them?