What's even the point of being the King of Westeros? Each kingdom is fully independent...

What's even the point of being the King of Westeros? Each kingdom is fully independent, they don't pay any tax and have their own armies.

All you have is a tiny strip of land on the coast and the capital is a shithole. Why did the lannisters waste so much money on that shit?

They do pay taxes. They also go to war if you tell them to.

lrn2feudalism fuccboi

Cause the retards writing this shit don't get how power works.

You're in charge of the seven kingdoms. Witness King Robert arriving in Winterfell in literally episode ONE. He made The entire North his bitch just by riding his fat ass there.

>What's even the point of being the King of Westeros?
You get double the stamps at Subway.

they're not kingdoms, they're houses
haven't you had history lessons about medieval times?

>They do pay taxes.
They don't. Dorne hadn't even sent a single guy over there in decades.

There's not enough kingdoms to play divide and conquer like the Franks did either. No status quo to oppose.

In terms of the actual story, not much. The Iron Throne is a red herring, and whoever is king isn't the point of the series.

And as soon as the next king did something they didn't like, every single northern lord started whining and supported independence.

Not even the smaller lords give a fuck about the king.

There's fucking dragons and magic. And you're concerned about the geopolitics?

you are scum

>muh fantasy
> there's low key magic that means everything must stop making sense
>even though the point of the series was to be more realistic than other stories

Jump off a building retard

No Martell has been on King's Landing in two decades, ergo no taxes are paid? Are you retarded?

And we do know Tywin became popular as the Hand because he lowered taxes collected by the crown.

You're saying I should judge all kings by the standard of Joffrey I who was an incredibly unpopular heir and arose during incredibly unusual vitriolic circumstances. Maybe it's fairer to judge it by the preceding 300 years which were far more stable.

Is that how he became so indebted to the Iron bank?

>And we do know Tywin became popular as the Hand because he lowered taxes collected by the crown.
On the crown land, which is minuscule, fucking retard.
Stable doesn't mean the king had any power. Even Geoffrey said the crown had no real army. So no means to enforce anything on the other kingdoms.

What is the point then?

You mean the king that wasn't a rightful heir to the old one at all, which is pretty much the sole reason why this whole war broke out in the first place?

>Stable doesn't mean the king had any power.
That's the biggest misconception you probably have. Stability is exactly the result of power. The power of the Targaryen rule which allowed prosperity and stability.

Not him, but the point regarding rulers is that power only really resides where men think it resides (meaning the throne itself is pointless). In regards to the series as a whole, the point is The Song of Ice and Fire, or the struggle between the summer and the winter, the cold and the heat, the night and the day, etc. Good and evil.

>Notspain doesn't pay its debts
Big surprise.

You guys ever see Game of Thrones reaction videos? They're filled with numales and tumblrwhales and faggots. Watch GoT reaction videos and those are the faggots that shit up this board.

dont you mean fall out a window. retard

why isnt the ironbank jews actually in charge

Too much work I guess. It's better to lay low, be rich and have kings and queens bow down to you.

Just like in real life.

The same reason banks in real life aren't directly in charge of politics.

>implying the fat fuck knows what he's doing

I thought it was considered a much more peaceful time in Robert's rule, despite him ramming the kingdom's debt in the asshole.

Dunk and Egg times did not seem peaceful

Those who have money in the bank [and did not borrow] are the ones in power.

Also Mark Gatiss is too busy with Doctor Who so I doubt we'll see the bankers anytime soon.

And this

in a way, they are in charge, they fund wars and conflict across Westeros/Essos all the time if someone defaults.

They will probably end up financing Danny or Jon/Sansa in the show to usurp whoevers in KL

Well there was the Greyjoy rebellion but other than that it seemed p chill

>Greyjoy "rebellion"

They have to keep their once a decade tradition of shitting up everything and themselves alive.

What happened to the Thousand Islands?

Because that's the typical Amerifat brain for you. They think king is just some fancy title, and all you get is a "capital" to sit on.

>All those sers
>Each one can just be executed for no reason at all and no one cares
>No actual standing army
>No inclination toward gaining more lands in Essos or about
>It's just a bunch of kingdoms which are supposedly unified, yet still fighting each other openly because...?

I can't tell if you're trolling or legitimately retarded, good job.

Explain to me what is retarded about this. Name me a single unified empire in history that has sat around for 60 years, done nothing, and had open fighting between the states and major political assassinations without repercussion.

This empire must also not have an actual army, and instead be composed of a bunch of private family-owned armies who all travel the countryside raping and pillaging their own people.

>inb4 someone says the HRE
I have a whole folder of smug Voltaire and I will use them if some retard starts mouthing about the
>Holy
>Roman
>Empire

Nah senpai you shouldn't think of it as good and evil, because obviously neither side really is good. If you really think Melly is a force for good after what she did to Shireen or tried to do to gendry I don't know what to say. The point is to step away from the hatred and desire we have for power

Nah senpai you shouldn't think of it as good and evil, because obviously neither side really is good. If you really think Melly is a force for good after what she did to Shireen or tried to do to gendry I don't know what to say. The point is to step away from the hatred and desire we have for power.

Even if somebody did mention this, it'd be null. Old Valyria were the Romans of the GOT universe, so it would have to be an empire from around the 9th century to keep it in perspective.

If you look at little finger's heritage and geography of alliances in the vale it really looks like he's planning with bravos an invasion, but who knows what the fat man's planning?

Luckily, I never said Melisandre was "good". However, she is doing what she feels is necessary for the "good" (human aka life) side to win against the "bad" side (others aka death).

Becase my grim darkness of realism darkness of rape, diarrhea and pedos.

Benefits of being the king
>You get a small bit of coastal land
>You're stuck in the capital that's a piece of shit
>you get to waste all your house's money to stay on the throne
Sounds like shit.

The others aren't dead. Martin has said they are only a "different type of life". looking at them as evil is the opposite of what the story is trying to convey

I'm not saying they are dead, I'm saying they represent death; hence the literal army of undead men and animals.

How does power work, user?

user this is simple shit, first you get the money, then you get the thrones, then you get the women...