Blackstar (2016), 4/10

>As usual with Bowie, Blackstar (RCA, 2016), produced again by Tony Visconti,, is mostly image and very little about the music. The ten-minute Blackstar, that was supposed to be the centerpiece, is little more than a funereal litany a` la Doors with jazz horns that goes on five minutes too many. Bowie crooning melodramatic in Lazarus (from his Broadway musical about an alien who falls in love) or romantic in Dollar Days is either delirious and pathetic, certainly not entertaining. His tedious voice interferes with the driving jazz jam of 'Tis a Pity She Was a Whore and with the frenzied and tense Sue (a 2014 single). Even when the voice is not a distraction, the rest is hardly intriguing: I Can't Give Everything Away boasts an awful distorted guitar against syncopated beats and layers of electronic drones: not exactly genius. This is trivial "music" that any amateur could make, except that most amateurs would be ashamed to release it.

>Bowie died of cancer in january 2016.

Other urls found in this thread:

scaruffi.com/cdreview/new.html
scaruffi.com/friends/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Bowie died of cancer in january 2016. 4/10

really makes you think

Scaruffi bodied this already dead nigga

svvvge

>Divers 6.5/10

>he didn't like anecdotes or a pin-light bent
he has garbage taste desu

How will Bowie ever recover

What a contrarian, I'm truly impressed.
Give that man a 12 year old.

What did Bowie do to Scaruffi to make him so hecking mad? Tell him refrigerators aren't sentient? Liberate his child bride?

>I Can't Give Everything Away boasts an awful distorted guitar against syncopated beats and layers of electronic drones: not exactly genius.

Also
>not exactly true.

> to say that Bowie is a musician is like saying that Nero was a harp player (a fact that is technically true, but misleading)

>It's a new "the fact" copypasta

>reviewing things yr unfamiliar with because you have a bone to polish

he can't keep getting away with this

Is scruffi really a pedo? Whats this about refrigerators?

What does this sentence even mean?

4x4=16
10x2=20

Wow, he's a truly terrible writer.

i wonder what he went in expecting
i wonder if he hoped it would be good

i kek'd

nothing. he just threw it in there to make him seem smart.

non un argomento

He's not wrong but it's still 6/10

*tips fedora*

but really, where in his review did scaruffi make an argument?

There is no argument. I listened to Blackstar once - I don't even remember what it sounds like. He's just objectively a terrible writer.

it means that you miss the mountain for the molehill if you look at Bowie's status as a musician. he is first and foremost a fashion icon and celebrity, and people synthesize their image of him as "musician," same as Nero was an emperor but his popular perception emphasizes that he played harp as Rome burned.

>implying he even listened to it

Except that's obviously bullshit - Bowie would have been just another eccentrically dressed weirdo wandering around Camden if it wasn't for the fact that he wrote and played music that loads of people love.

arguably, one could also say he'd be just another weirdo doing derivative glam rock and failing to get a record deal if it weren't for his status as a visual provocateur and performance artist

when the FUCK is this man going to review pablo

most of his work including his best aren't even glam tho why assume that's where he'd stagnate

piss off you aint smart and you dont know what your talking about

just because that's what he attached to to launch his career properly. i believe that without his image, he wouldn't have stayed so in touch with/had access to the artists like Eno who helped him to evolve into a more mature musical artist. i think Scaruffi ignores that Nero was a harp player and Bowie is a musician, but i would never go so far as to say i give enough of a shit about the debate either way to not enjoy devil's advocating in front of Bowie's congregation

Because surely Lisa Germano is better.

Fuck off. Quit posting this dumb fag's nonsense.

his best work happened because of eno. bowie was always reddit tier shit

Geek The Girl is a fucking masterpiece, sorry if you can't see that.

Nah it's like a 5/10

top kek. bowie cucks BTFO

He fucked both of his parents at the same time

i absolutely agree Bowie rose to such spectacular heights due to his collaborators, which include Eno, Ronson, Visconti, Rodgers, Gabrels, Alomar, Lennon, etc. but for Scaruffi to say he wasn't much of a musician is just a quip to keep people reading his work, and for people to buy into it, well, it's just nonsense. i'd suggest people read up on Bowie and not spout juvenile nonsense.then again, this is Sup Forums....

but he was already experimenting with his sound across his first 4 albums which spanned folk, psychedelic, hard and progressive rock (see (1967/69-1971): Cygnet Committee, Memory of a Free Festival, Unwashed and Somewhat Slightly Dazed, The Width of a Circle, Saviour Machine, Andy Warhol, The Bewlay Brothers) before his delving into glam rock and its imagery (Ziggy Stardust, 1972, or Queen Bitch's inclusion at the end of Hunky Dory, 1971, at a push), so it's silly to pretend he would have remained "just another weirdo doing derivative glam rock and failing to get a record deal" when his roots were in experimenting with pop/ rock, chiefly folk and psychedlic and glam was a sound he only tapped into upon those foundations

so if he were to have not found success with that image and sound, there's no leap needed to think that he'd keep experimenting rather than stagnating, or if not experiementing then definitely not "doing derivative glam rock", since it would never have served as the catalyst for his success so there would be no studio nor fincancial need

the idea that he wouldn't have had access to artists that would help propel his sound is also untrue, seeing as he'd had involvement with Tony Visconti, Marc Bolan, Rick Wakeman and Mick Ronson from before his breakthrough success with glam and Ziggy Stardust

>Bowie crooning melodramatic in Lazarus

haha. Dude was literally singing about his death, in the process of dying with cancer eating away at his body, and it's not enough for the scaruffi

How does he keep getting away with it?

A pin-light bent is the second best harp-only song she's done behind sawdust

Scaruffi is the best

What else has he reviewed lately? nothing here scaruffi.com/cdreview/new.html

>contrarian

A lot of people agree that the album was not significant or impressive. It is clear as daylight that his meme-death propelled the album's status.

>somebody actually made this
topkek

He game AMSP a 6, and there's this

Germano's album literally IS better and everybody should keep posting it instead of Bowie's albums, which are all mediocre to bad.

Thank God he meme-died this year, so that in the future, there will be no new releases for everybody to fawn over and he will fade into the background in the same way as other old stars.

Julia Holter's new album acquired a 6 as well.

lurk more cunt
A whole group of people made this

>no zen arcade

I thought for sure it would get a 7/10, definitely not higher than 7.5 though

Will he ever give another 9?

When the fuck is he gonna review Elseq 1-5

I have a feeling he's going to love it, considering he gave Incunabula and Chiastic Slide both an 8.

The next monae album

Why did my excellent posts get deleted?

Damn, thought he'd give Divers a 7, and Have You In My Wilderness a 6.5

Still really waiting to see what he writes about No Now and Third Side Of Tape.

links?

the life of pablo

I wish I could make a living being so dreadfully devoid of taste.

So he's a pedo, has a clown fetish and a fridge fetish?

Goddamn this dude belongs on /d/

Amazing

How is it that his top albums are actually really good but the rest of his taste is abominable?

honestly scaruffi is a joke that got way too out of hand

he's just an avant-dadrocker with edgy opinions who wants to fuck kids and shitposts on a web 1.0 site

No Now is gonna be a 7 for sure. It's so poppy that it wouldn't be like Scaruffi to grant it a 7.5.

Wait till St. Vincent releases her new album.

>no Painting With pan

after the BTFO that was Centipede Hz I was looking forward to this

He's also a casual racist too.

>shitposts on a web 1.0 site
You'll eat those words when he successfully creates MEMEJAM

Good, it was trash

I'm ambivalent towards Germano, but Geek The Girl is way better than anything Bowie has put out

No one gives a fuck about your opinion you stupid hipster. Blackstar is a great album

This. Wtf is wrong with this dinosaur Italian autist?

No, blackstar was a pretty great achievement for Bowie, especially within the context of his career.

Fantano gave it a 9, who is the patrician now?

Geek the Girl was just another album about a woman prattling on about bad rape, stalking, and so on is....how droll. Surely this sort thing was old hat even in '94.

t. male

t. lyrics stooge

>Within the context of his career

Yes, so you have to put it into extra-musical context in order to convince yourself that it's good. What if you didn't know about Bowie? What if Brokencyde's albums were all the same, except they had some tragic circumstance surrounding them? At least Brokencyde is good for a laugh and has ironic comedic value. Bowie's work has no value at all. This proves that the album is a joke with no merit.

Also, Bowie's career is terrible so it wouldn't matter anyways. Thank goodness he died.

t. guy with bat

seconding this, it's obvious that Bowie was one of the biggest trendhoppers in music history => zero artistic credit/originality

Scaruffi never lied to me

/ourguy/

>Shoes, refrigerators, watches and underwear are the real protagonists of history. Everything else is just a footnote to their odyssey.
holy shit i can't stop laughing at this

good looking artists tend to get low scores from scaruffi. Any kind of music where girls are not likely to listen to it tend to get higher scores. That is Scaruffi's bias.

(not true, by the way)

i bet his group of friends is more diverse than yours
scaruffi.com/friends/

first of all, the user you responded to was trolling so hard it hurts my feelings you fell for it. secondly, great artists steal, mate. from Picasso to Joyce to Brancusi to Dylan. Bowie finds a framework by which to explore his talents with both spectacular achievements and dismal failures. is that not the goal of the artist? declaring Bowie had no artistic credibility is such a base and juvenile notion, there goes my feelings again.

It's funny: Scruffy always reviewed Bowie harshly for being fake, and when Bowie tried to be as genuine as possible (i.e. in Blackstar), he still calls him fake. There's no way you can call the last two songs on the album simulacra. They are genuine as anything.

who wants to place bets for scaruffi's aoty 2015 and 2016? closest user gets 100 memejam points

>scaruffi.com/friends/

>Best Friends of all Times

>The fact that so many people still name Dave as "the greatest or most significant or most influential" friend ever only tells you how far friendship still is from becoming a serious art.

why must he take everything in his life and make an autistic list out of it? does he have a page for his shits too?

jealous of his vibrant social life, faggot?

this is hilarious

It's going to be something we've never heard of.