This isn't bad, but I don't get what the big deal is?

This isn't bad, but I don't get what the big deal is?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rL9Smn7Bzf4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's one of the very few double albums that doesn't have filler.

neither do i, OP, neither do i

hes blind AND black

Another overrated album spammed by stupid underage /groove/ shitposters

Ignore them and their music at all costs

one of the few examples of an artist making a double album after their magnum opus that turns out to be better

It's one of the most sonically lush and beautiful albums, let alone double albums, ever recorded.

Also this

There might not be filler in the strictest sense of the word, but there's stuff here that is repetitive or forgettable, which has the same effect as filler. Isn't She Lovely for example is borderline annoying, and I don't care much for Joy inside My Tears.

I think Stevie Wonder is insanely talented. My problem is that he wastes it on jive schlock and goofy sound effects. Like is Sir Duke really the best he can do?

>is Sir Duke really the best he can do
Well it's not MY personal favorite on the album (to be fair my favorite Stevie song is on a different album) but I still think it's a very good song.

What are some examples of the 'goofy sound effects'. I think the sound effects really help the album, but would love other perspectives.

On Ordinary Pain, I think the bass sounds awful.

Isn't She Lovely has that obnoxious high-end harmonica and I'm not thrilled with the way the synth tracks play off one another.

Black Man I'm mixed on, but the general instrumentation is tinny, it's like funk-lite.

Ngiculela has crappy vocal and keyboard effects, just sounds very lazy in general how he put it together.

If It's Magic is just cheesy as fuck.

With this said, I think his production works pretty well on most of side one, like there's a sense of actual purpose there. But even on those and other good songs, like As/Another Star, I just don't see cause for true alarm. They're just songs. The level of detail on its own had already been reached ten years prior.

Innervisions is better

Not really seeing the problem with the bass on Ordinary Pain

Isn't She Lovely I can understand, for a while the harmonica line made me think of a sitcom theme.

Black Man I love but the outro can get a little grating after multiple listens.

I love Ngiculela but I can see why the echo effect can be annoying.

I love cheesy stuff so I can't complain about If It's Magic.

I respect your opinion nonetheless. Thanks for clarifying your stance.

>Ordinary Pain
Personally like it, the guitar on the back end of the track is awesome.
>Isn't She Lovely
First half is fantastic, but the baby noises drag on way too long near the end.
>Black Man
Also a favorite, the call and response coda gets boring but not unbearable.
>Ngiculela
Not a favorite, one of the weaker points but not bad
>If It's Magic is just cheesy as fuck
kys

Also As is the best track

>friend hands me the aux chord
>shuffle puts on pastime paradise
>"dude wtf this guy plagiarized coolio"

You're welcome. I have no truly good reason why I'm against the cheesy/schlocky parts. I love it in other music.

What's your favorite Stevie song?

I don't wanna boooooooooooooooooooore

Not him but personally it's Love Having You Around. Also one of his more underrated tracks.

Planning to listen to this soon. I'm a big fan of 70s soul/disco and i loved innervisions so i should enjoy it.

SITKOL is a bit like Innervisions but much more lavish and grandly produced. Lots more additional instrumentation.

Here's my favorite, personally:

youtube.com/watch?v=rL9Smn7Bzf4

Don't have a strong favorite, probably either Golden Lady or Village Ghetto Land.

>Golden Lady
*fancy waiter voice* excellent choice, sir.