Can someone PLEASE(!) explain how shes a "genius" I mean sure her songs are ok but its not mindboggeling like everyone...

Can someone PLEASE(!) explain how shes a "genius" I mean sure her songs are ok but its not mindboggeling like everyone makes it out to be!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nWSFlqBOgl8
youtube.com/watch?v=O8yix8PZKlw
youtube.com/watch?v=AjA89o5vVh4
reddit.com/r/Grimes/comments/5b0wpg/favorite_and_least_favorite_songs_from_each_album/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

if you dislike grimes, your a terrible person

music is subjective thats why

remember when people would spam tegan and sarah on mu
it's the same thing
soon there will be another indeh girl for people to spam and grimeh will be forever gone

it also used to be lana del rey

this is my favorite grimes song, man. just listen to it and make up your own mind.

youtube.com/watch?v=nWSFlqBOgl8

this is a better grimes/grimey/greasy song

shhhwwoooooppppppsss what would my grimey greasy queen think of me forgetting to porst the grimer song

youtube.com/watch?v=O8yix8PZKlw

never listened to her.

just listened to a few songs of hers, only one i recognised was "oblivion"

i dont hate that song, i certainly dont enjoy it but i do see the appeal it has to the popular crowds. everything else i listened to was far less appealing to me, but i still see why people like it. a few songs were just clusterfucks though.

definitely wouldnt call her a genius, she seems more like a "im so expressive and original look at me" and "dont assume my gender" kindof person. very edge.

its music that anybody could make in their spare time over a few nights. but fuck knows how but she got famous from it.

3/10 would not recommend to anybody unless i want them to fuck off.

that one album cover was pretty dope though.

>soon there will be another indeh girl for people to spam and grimeh will be forever gone

people are saying this since 2012

try it with mountain dew

Grimes is just pop music man you can't blame the plebbs for liking rihanna, but the plebs on here WANT TO listen to rihanna

but rihanna isn't cool, rihanna isn't patrician

so they found someone with rihanna tier awful garbage shits the bed music BUT -

with ultra wacko hey im an artist man i dye my hair and dont wash it hippy dippy california

this is grimes in a nutshell: garbage

it's actually death grips tier, but you got it right

hey man im greasy gritty grimey grimer i once went without sleep for 9 days to make a little album, you may have heard of it... VISIONS

*guys looking around around like what I've never heard of it who is this goblin*

Gritty gross gelly grimer grimesy walks away ranting about how misunderstood she is

lying bitch

he didn't say tier

although i'll say Grimes is like Homeless Mustard tier people go

wow wacky coocookajoo man this weird retarded smelly greasy girl can make a decent song, but we'll pretend its the best thing ever because we feel sorry for the poor little chap

and thats the sad part in all this

>he didn't say tier
but you did

i think tame impala are better, don't you?

i know i said it dumbass i said i was going to say it i was quoting you, so whats your point inestein?

but he did*

omg KILL YURSELF GRIMEY FOREVER

you're a faggot

maybe put your reading glasses on GRANPA

fucking idiot

>he didn't say tier
>he actually sayed it

maybe put your reading glasses on GRANPA

fucking idiot

OMG DONT U TALK ABOUT GRIMEY THAT Way shes my angel man shes so deep and mooseunderstood!!!!!! GRImeYFRVR!!!zzzzsxxxxx xxx

ok

HEy BRO were trying to TALK ABOUT QUEEN BEE GRIMER in here man, if you want to say that a non-grimer DIDNT say tier take it outside!

YOU may be right man MAN but this is a grime zone we only talk about how Grimey the greaseball is the new Picasso of music BRO

She just makes mainstream pop with some "nerdiness" to it to appeal to neckbeards.

what was your 2016 aoty?

>She just makes mainstream pop
>what is halfaxa, visions, geidi primes, darkbloom, lethe

>I've only listened to the latest album but I'm sure I know her discography well enough

I REFUSED TO LISTEN TO ANY MUSIC THIS YEAR BECAUSE GRIMEY DIDNT PUT AN ALBUM OUT I JUST YELLED AT MY PARENTS AND IF THE DOGS OUTSIDE BARKED IN A MELODY ID SHOUT OUT THE WINDOE SHUT THOSE DOGS UP YOU FASICT IM ON A MUSIC STRIKE UNTILL GRIMER MAKES A NEW ALBUM AND I CANT HEAR VARYING TONES OR TIMBERS

yeah me 2

because i actually want the cancer

Grimes is here to stay. Now it's "the controversial period of time", but in 10 years from now another generation of Sup Forums users will talk about her with the same respect reserved to Kate Bush and Bjork. Screencap this.

Grimes filled a certain niche before Art Angels now she sucks

You fucking take this fucking piece of shit comment the fuck back right fucking now. Grimes was, is, and will always be the biggest genius in pop music. Holy fucking shit I am so tired of fucking Bjork and Kate Bush being considered the top of female pop artistry when we are literally living in a time with the artist that will, not kidding, have the largest influence for the future of pop.

I'm sick of these fucking pieces of fucking shit fucking listening to Katy Perry and Beyonce fucking bullfuck. I fucking despise these people and they make me want to cut myself again because these fucking pricks won't even take the time to listen to an artist that's just ever so slightly outside the grain. Is it really that hard to give her a fucking listen? Jesus fucking Christ. I tried to get my friends to listen to her but they just kept on shrugging their shoulders and listening to their rockist shit. No wonder I slowly broke off contact with these people.

I also had avant-garde posers who think that Grimes is too accessible and "poppy" to like and listen to. I'm mostly talking about Sup Forums. FACT ALERT: Your precious Trout Mask Replica fucking sucks ass and I could layer audio of myself screaming, playing a clarinet with my farts, and smashing pots and pans with a baseball bat and it would be the same quality as that album, and yet it appears on EVERY FUCKING MU-CORE CHART AT THE VERY TIPPY TOP WITH IN THE AEROSHIT OVER THE FUCK, all while real artists like Grimes get relegated to lower positions with all over the other normie-core rockist tripe. I swear to fucking God I'm just about done with this board.

We can't even have Grimes generals and safely Grimepost without some asshole feeling the need to point out their plebian taste about her. I fucking hate this board, I fucking hate you, and I fucking hate myself for ever thinking that this board would be a good place to discuss music.

FUCK. OFF.

Art Angels filled another niche* and she's still great as before. It's your problem if you're biased against overtly pop/catchy music.

*Name a similar album if you can.

Like this user said, music is subjective. It affects people in different ways. If it's not mindblowing to you, maybe it's mindblowing to someone else. It's a matter of getting this music or not.

Let me tell you something: Grimes's music tend to grow on someone with each listen. I thought her music was pleasant but I hated her voice and now I think it's genius in every way: the way she mixed all those styles (Synth pop, Dream pop, IDM, R&B, Classical, Medieval, J-Pop, Industrial), the way she sings (so unusual and emotional), the way she loops her voice as backing vocals, the way her songs unfold, the insanely catchy and layered melodies, the creative and powerful beats, the huge diversity of her music, the fact her songs stay fresh after countless plays. Her music is really special.

I suggest you to listen to all of her songs again, including the rarities, demos, instrumentals, whatever.

Stop. Both Chairlift and FKA Twigs are much weaker than Grimes.

>Both Chairlift and FKA Twigs are much weaker than Grimes
not him but why?

>its music that anybody could make in their spare time over a few nights. but fuck knows how but she got famous from it.
If it's that simple, why nobody else did her kind of music before her?? Only now the Grimes clones started to appear: youtube.com/watch?v=AjA89o5vVh4

Checkmate.

if this isn't a generic pasta, or rather a collaboration of patas, then you need some serious help my friend.
go outside, try and meet some people. try and form a relationship with someone who isn't behind a computer screen.

no offence, just i don't think the internet is the right place for you at the moment.

wtf is that grimes

why do these threads always descend into grimes fans desperately trying to defend her by posting a multitude of music videos and singles, while the people needlessly shitposting are being fed and not ignored?

it is like these threads turn into yourtube comments sections on minecraft videos.

What a convoluted and shitty explanation. How are Grimes and Rihanna even similar? How are Weregild and Umbrella similar? You're comparing 2 different artists and claim they're similar just because they're females? That's really dumb.

If plebs want to listen to Rihanna, they WILL listen to Rihanna, regardless of her coolness factor. Only hipsters like you PRETEND to like an artist for cool points. The plebs are actually much more honest with their taste than hipsters.

In a nutshell, you are garbage.

>2 retards

f is for

grimes fans are honestly the /mlp/ of the music world

They have a couple of great songs (OK, maybe 4) but the rest is forgettable. Grimes is much, much, much more consistent and innovative.

Because it's a damn music board, suited for discussions?

>alt+f4 "meme"
>no results

dead bort

What I gather from this thread is that people who like Grimes doesn't really know a lot about music production or haven't listened to much music so this slightly quirky popstar suddenly seems unique to them. It's very apparent from how often they claim music taste is subjective because that is an easy mask to hide their lack of knowledge of anything music related. Music taste is subjective, but that doesn't mean anyone should respect your opinion on said music: put some critical thought into your listening and develop some analysis and proper opinions on her music and people might actually be convinced to listen to her.

As far as I can tell these waifu threads should be on /hr/. Sup Forums need to join Sup Forums in a push for a /cel/ because threads about Grimes and jpop have literally nothing to do with their music.

Which recent artists/bands were originally hated or had "controversial periods" on here before becoming loved? Genuinely curious why you think people will suddenly come to love her. I like her but it seems the majority will carry on hating.

>implying you know about music production or even listened to a lot of music
You got it wrong. Many people who like her actually listened to a shitload of great music, from Autechre to The Zombies. You're just making stupid assumptions without any support.

>Music taste is subjective, but that doesn't mean anyone should respect your opinion on said music: put some critical thought into your listening and develop some analysis and proper opinions on her music and people might actually be convinced to listen to her.
>implying the grimes fans actually want their enemies (the haters) to listen to her music

I would like to OD with grimes together. Is this too much to ask?

>/cel/

>Which recent artists/bands were originally hated or had "controversial periods" on here before becoming loved?
I don't know but I'm pretty sure that Kate Bush and Bjork had quite many haters when they were in their prime. If Sup Forums existed in the '80s or '90s, the Grimes of those decades would be Kate Bush and Bjork, respectively. People forget that those 2 legends were controversial in those times and now they're properly established.

Sup Forums is literally the only place on the internet that hate Grimes. The question is: why?

I love Grimes. I can't wait until she collabs with Young Thug. That would be a dream come true.

why hasn't she killed herself yet?

Grimes haters, ladies and gentlemen. They wonder why they're so hated. This is why.

>They wonder why they're so hated.
actually they don't

I feel truly sorry for you.

They do want to make others listen to her, otherwise, they wouldn't spam her ugly-ass pictures along with exaggerated/fake praise all over this goddamn board.

It's already. They fear to notify about this.
This will provokes massive suicides.

because there's no hate to wonder about, and by hate you mean real hate

So, they don't have self awareness. They're just shitposting pigs.

>They do want to make others listen to her
If by others you don't mean "enemies (the haters)". Re-read that post.

absolutely

fucking hell this is pathetic

I meant the Grimes haters. To clear any confusion.

absolutely

this is good thanks

>fans desperately trying to defend her by posting a multitude of music videos and singles,
Thread has, as of this moment, NO links to any Grimes music videos or singles
Better question. Why do Grimes doubters have such a tendency to form their arguments from obviously factually inaccurate information?

>people who like Grimes doesn't really know a lot about music production or haven't listened to much music
Have you tried listening to her enitre discography? Because it sure sounds like your opinion of her music is based on what other people have SAID about it rather than your own subjective opinion as a music listener. Which, if I'm not entirely mistaken, is EXACTLY the kind of ignorant music listening behavior you are accusing others of being guilty.

>Sup Forums is literally the only place on the internet that hate Grimes. The question is: why?
Short answer to your question:
Because she's an incredibly talented, successful musician that /mu actually likes.

Long answer:
>Due to the culture of rampant contrarianism on this board, the only time you are going to see a huge majority here saying that they "like" something is when the thing in question isn't good enough to be worth hating. Likewise, the only time you are going to see a huge majority here saying that they "hate" something is when the thing in question IS good enough to be worth hating (Because - to paraphrase James Brooks - people throw rocks at things that shine because things that shine are easier to see.)
>For an artist, being universally loved on /mu is a bad sign. Likewise being universally hated on /mu is a bad sign. However being simultaneously strongly loved AND strongly hated by /mu is a wonderful sign, since the size of that dichotomy itself is the closest thing this place has to offer to a true judgment of artistic value.
>The proof that Grimes IS a great artist (insofar as /mu hive-mind opinion is concerned) lies in the fact that she has the POWER TO DIVIDE this place. Only the greatest artists can do that.

She did: She just got better.

>Not being able to differentiate between obvious trolls and fans
And people wonder why insightful, interesting conversation is so hard to come by on /mu.

Grimes is significant because she is a truly solo female artist. She writes, produces, and performs all of her music. A lot of it is mediocre but there are some really great tracks. Realiti is one of the best pop songs of the decade imho tbqh

>A lot of it is mediocre
Why you had to spoil your good post this false thing? She's very, very consistent. Do you think people would talk so much about her if she did a lot of mediocre music and just a handful of good songs? Do you think people would pick so many different favorite songs (e.g. reddit.com/r/Grimes/comments/5b0wpg/favorite_and_least_favorite_songs_from_each_album/ ) if she did a lot of mediocre music? Think about it.

I love Caroline so much

Chairlift just announced their split.

reality genesis and oblivion are genius songs.

she writes and produces all her stuff. very rarely does that happen in todays music.

Retard alert.

you're* Jesus Christ you MUST be a Grimes fan.

>WAAAH WAAAAAH WAAAAAAH, this user dares to have a different opinion, so he's a retard
>references those posts and writes: Retard alert.
Grow up, imbecile.

>autism walltext at diversity of opinion
>Grow up, imbecile.
Grow up, imbecile.

Just

>thinks he's funny
Grow up, imbecile.

Retard alert.

Grow up, imbecile.

>he's gonna keep replying if I keep calling him a retard
Retard alert.

loving grimes is an irony

Grow up, imbecile.

She borderline sucks.

If it weren't for Nightmusic she would be totally irredeemable

>being an actual Grimes fan
And people wonder why insightful, interesting music is so hard to come by on Sup Forums

Retard alert.

Grow up, retard.

Irony? There's nothing ironic about loving the artist of the decade.

Here's your (You).

Nice dubs, retard.