How will you cope when your dog finally passes...

How will you cope when your dog finally passes? My best friend of 13 years is fighting liver failure and the vet says she will probably be gone by morning.

I feel overwhelmed with feelings of regret and sadness over times I neglected her to go out with friends. Many of her later years I spent working 10-12 hour days 6 and sometimes 7 days a week leaving her at home by herself, and every day when I got home she would be at the door, tail wagging, toy in mouth, as if she thought I'd never be back. And I'd just pat her on the head and move on.

Don't take your dog for granted Sup Forums. You can't get this kind of loyalty and love anywhere else, and one day, they will be gone.

Also, share old puppers stories.

get a new pupper

This will probably be the route I take. Obviously it won't be the same but it will help lessen the pain. You can't replace family.

Feels bad man. Lost my mastif a few years ago.

I thought I was gonna lose my yellow lab 3 years ago when he was 12. Someone poisoned him with god only knows what. I played next to him all day and night just petting him, feeding him saltines and water. He surprisingly enough made it through and that big goofball is still Kickin today. 15 and still loves trotting on the beach and playing with other pups as well as he can. By far the healthiest yellow I've ever had the pleasure of being around

My dog promised she'll live forever.

You really can't. I like to get a pup when they seem like they're getting to the door. They have a way of teaching the pup the ways of the house. Let them pass on a little wisdom

The best thing you can do is to realize that you gave you dog food, shelter and happiness and security. Not all dogs can say they've had that. She had the loving touch of a human, some dogs drift from place to place unwatned and hated. In the end, your dog was very lucky.

Water dog?

Where does the time go. One day you're bringing home a new puppy in your car wrapped in that little towel, then seemingly out of nowhere you're crying looking at old pictures over a bottle of bourbon.

Mini Australian Labradoodle

I thought about that once I knew the end was getting near, but I was afraid she would feel she was getting replaced.

That's very true. However, I could have taken her on a few more walks, trips to the lake, more time with my family, etc.

Same. Their will never be another like him

You did what you must. He gave you everything he could, and so you did. Even if he leaves, his love will live forever with you. Dogs are a very peculiar species, as far as I have witnessed for my own. They don't like seeing someone sad. They do as much as they can to cheer you. And so, as he is leaving, he won't like to see you crying. Instead, remembering all the good times you spent together with him. He'll be alright, user. Do not fear his departure. He'll never die as long as you remember him.

Takes a long time to get better. Come home from work and expect to be met at the door, look down for your friend and remember the harsh reality that they are gone.

Not much makes me sad these days, but losing your best friend is fucking hard.

This...

I miss these two

Gave her a better life then a lot of dogs. Appreciate the times you spent time with her and don't dwell on the things you can't change. Be sad when my buddy goes he loves to hold hands lol.

I wasn't ready for these feels.

YAYYYYY
one more gone
:D

Mastiffs are the best, it sucks that the have such a short life.

the edge tho

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

>if this doesn't hit you in the feels then you don't know true loss

Only sub-human filth can't into the bond between canine and man. What are you, a nigger?

Careful responding to the trolls man.

>feels sad when my slave creature is finally free

It's a dog you owned as property. Get over it.

You're a big guy

You're trying too hard

Just when you thought there couldn't be any more edge

Here's your (you)

I feel sorry these guys that have never felt the bond, love, and enjoyment of have a dog.

When I was a kid, had 2 giant Schauzers die. My family owns a boxer, but he's getting up there.

They are hardened from being forever alone

Lucky that breed normally around 8-10 years lifespan. At least they was there 13 years that's a great life

I had to put my black lab down at age 15 couple years ago. You never really get over it, but what i did at the time was buy a bottle of wild turkey 101 and went on a roadtrip. Really helped to get away from the house and go visit good friends who knew her and that i hadnt seen in awhile.

I also made an impression of her paw in plaster of paris on our last day together, gave her ice cream, etc. She was and always will be one of my best friends. Just writing about it is kicking me in the feels, and that was 2 years ago. Feel for you, user.

That was just a stock photo that came up on a Google Search for old dog. She was a boxer/pit mix. This was her at around 6 or 7 years old.

>My feels have absorbed a huge blow

Don't know why the fucking pic rotated.

So then I went home and beat my wife both of them. And abused my son as well in the emotional or sense -john

How?..... alcohol.

17 years here. Just walks in circles until she tires herself out.

Not too sure how I'm gunna deal for when she passes, but I'm gunna have her cremated. :)

>obligatoryedgydoggore.gif

This is one of the advantages of having a cat. They're fucking assholes so you don't feel quite as bad for them once they pass.

Dubs confirm booze helps!

Indeed

Untrue...I've never cried so hard as when I had to put my cat dow.

>totallydevistated.jpeg

My brother had his cremated and had the remains encased inside a small piece of concrete or something shaped like a paw with the dog's name engraved onto it. Pretty interesting way to do it.

I have my dog cremated and an inexpensive wooden box on my mantle with a picture of him next to it.

It's normal to have phantom visions of your dog and also phantom noises...Normally lasts for about 2 weeks...Took me a couple months personally to start feeling better....One of the best ways to move on tho is getting another dog, starting a new beginning.

Just reading all this makes my feels start feeling. I have an English bulldog who is my best friend and I know it will hurt so bad when something happens to her.

Phantom visions of your dog? I've never heard about this.

Been shitpostin all day. But I am honestly sorry op don't know anything as hard as losing ur dog

Kek those rolls. Reminds me of when you pop open a can of biscuits.

I never had the visions but I was hearing things for weeks.

It's the same principle behind other phantom causes, if your used to having something in a certain spot like a dog or a lost arm coupled with trauma you can have phantom triggers. Normally it was sounds tho...My mother experienced the same thing...We would both hear her whining at the door and such... Sometimes i would see her laying on the couch..This normally happened right when i woke up in the mornings with the belief she is there. Probably the mind not letting go.

Lol yeah she has a lot of rolls. But I love that dog, I've never had a better one than her.

To any one getting a new puppy tho the best thing you can do is give them as much natural food as possible....If you hunt it helps...Like giving them deer to eat...Normal dog food from stores is littered with cancer causing ingredients and really shortens the life of a dog.

RIP : Scrappy Doo
4-10-08 6-25-16

I feel your pain OP. Just remember you gave your dog a great life.

Had to watch my last dog go through that whole ordeal. Wasn't eating for weeks, took him to the vet, found out he had tumors all over his body.

Eventually he was too weak to even walk and we had to put him down. I'll never do that again. Shaking in fear the whole time. Just the look of paralyzing fear in his eyes when the needle pierced his skin. He hated the vet.

When my new dog gets to that point, I'm going to take him out to his favorite spot in the woods, give him a big hug, wait till he isn't looking and put a bullet in the back of his head. Wouldn't even know it happened. I feel like that is the honorable way to give your best bud sweet release from his pain.

He looks like a Scrappy Doo. Well named user.

Im not sure I could pull the trigger but I totally agree that people shouldn't take too long to put them down. It's not doing you any good to see them suffering and it's obviously worse for them. Ending there suffering is basically the last gift you can give them.

That's retarded man....Never in a million years would i shoot my old dog didn't matter how bad it was....If you wanna fuck yourself up psychologically that would be the way to do it by killing your best friend with a bullet to the head.

Nigga...you'd never be able to get that out of your head.
When I put my dog down. The vet came to my house at 3am. I played with him when it started going through his system. The last thing he did was lick my face. He knew what was happening. That was honestly the most heartbreaking thing I've ever experienced

Ok. Let them live out their last days in agonizing pain.

Or take them to a place that they hate being to have people they don't know put their hands allover them, as they die a slow, paralyzing, scary death.

Or you can take them to a place they always loved, that they feel comfortable and happy in, with their favorite person, and spend their last moments in pure joy, to have it all end quickly and painlessly.

scrappy doo, good name.

Its too painful to say goodbye. My kids want one but i cant bring myself to get one.

My dog of 14 years died this year. I was shocked that it came so sudden because she was a small dog. Still feel empty

You fuck - ugh my eyes just welled up.

Same
I'm off to pet my dog

You make shooting your own dog to be a easy and wonderful thing and that it happens so amazingly streamlined......I'll knock you out of your little fantasy land so we can talk in reality....You shoot your dog in the head and you will likely it seeing kicking it's legs on the ground going into a seizure while you gotta look at blood gushing threw it's head and then you have the physiologic mind games it can play on yourself of guilt/betrayal you name it. It's a fucked up way to go, chances are it's not gonna be as peaceful as you think it is.

He was by far the best dog I've ever had. Rottweiler/black lab. Protective and playful.

I've got my little 4 month old shepsky with me now, she cuddles the shit out of me whenever I play battlefront

Sorry for your soon to be loss, but if that's really the case, I hope you're not still in this thread and are instead with your soon to be dead dog.
I like dogs so much that I wish none had ever existed or that all the presently existent ones could and would be peacefully and painlessly made to become extinct to spare the unfortunate majority of them from the inevitably shitty and edgy people they don't choose to be stuck with but are.
People who neglect them and worse of course, those who mistreat and abuse them, are irredeemable scum, all of them.
Hopefully you aren't reading this and won't because you're with your dog, comforting them and giving them as enjoyable last experience as possible.
Regardless, allow me to tip the hat I'm supposed to be wearing because I wrote all of that.

I still miss my dog. He looked like pic related. I would always play with him and take him out to walk in the woods. I noticed he started getting older with age and couldn't hear as much anymore. I found him under my tree lifeless, broke my heart. Miss him alot

This is some dumb bullshit. First of all, there are vets who will come to your home and end it for a small fee. Second, some dogs love going to the vet. My dog LOVED that place and everyone who worked there. Third, a dog can jostle and move around before you even know it's happening. Imagine going in to shoot him and he looks up at a cracking twig and you shoot him in the spine or the snout. That's some pretty horrific shit right there. I'm not taking that dumbshit chance. Euthanasia has been perfected over hundreds of years. They go peacefully in their sleep in absolute comfort.