Do people seriously enjoy this garbage?

Do people seriously enjoy this garbage?

>Do people seriously enjoy one of the best albums ever recorded?

Plebs here from /reddit/ only.

>one of the best albums ever recorded

Oops wrong thread.

CREEPING UP INTO THE SKYYYY

Yes

What's not to like about it?

>Hey look at me, my standards are so high I'm not afraid to call Sup Forumscore garbage
Literally every thread on Sup Forums

Who knows, honestly.

do you seriously need to make this thread multiple times every day?

I actually enjoy most Sup Forumscore, and even albums that i don't like i can understand why others might like it. Spiderland, however, doesn't seem to have any redeeming qualities

>Do people like something I don't?

The state of (you) rn is laughable

Listen to Washer again.

That's the song that gets all the newcomers to Spiderland.

The album is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, fine, everybody has their own musical opinion.

>liking flint
Mama mia

Here's your (You) now go back to Sup Forums

Listen to it again.

I remember when I was a newfag I turned it off about 15 seconds into Breadcrumb Trail because I thought it was "Pretentious garbage"

Now I think it's a 10

No.It's shit. Pure shit. The singer sucks. The drummer sucks. The guitarist needs to tune his guitar.

>Sup Forums
Persuading people pretentious garbage is good music since 1991.

It's honestly one of my favorite albums so maybe I can give some insight. A lot of it is the atmosphere build. They're masters of building tension without a satisfying release. Instead of a release it often goes quiet and keeps building. I also really like the raw/straightforward/real production. It's something lots of people don't get, but it brings out all the personality, the dynamics, every little piece of emotion in drumming, the guitar and the voice.

Epic new meme boys!

It's buildup with no payoff. That's what I hear.

That's what makes it great imo. A simple release is the easy way to go, would have made it like generic post rock. Spiderland doesn't make sense to most people, don't worry about it. People who like it, really do.

It's actually a captivating set of rock songs.
Caught them in NY on the reissue tour and had a blast.
Vocals could have been louder.

Nosferatu Man is the actual pleb filter.
I like how it's structured like a blues though.

It is generic post rock.

Not OP, but I was having trouble getting into it too. I got into Laughing Stock and Skinny Fists recently, so I might give Spiderland another shot with your explanation in mind.

nosferatu man has some of the best drumming on the album

essential =/= generic
When I say essential, I don't mean everyone has to hear it.
I mean it's the essence of the style.

Mine was Nosferatu Man ;_:

Patrician guide to enjoying Spiderland:
>buy the CD
>place it in front of you
>put on some actually good music
>enjoy the view and the music
>10/10

Walford is a great drummer, and I like how he comes up to the front to play Don, Aman.

The whole album sounds like a high school band practicing. It's not good at all. I don't care how you break it down.

>without a satisfying release

This confuses me a little as a fan of the album, what do you mean? The songs might not end at their most intense point, but feels like just about all songs on it build into a loud crescendo at some point in the track.

Washer and Good Morning, Captain are the obvious ones.
Breadcrumb Trail has 2 throughout
Nosferatu Man and For Dinner.. don't really have any obvious payoffs like the others do but they still have very satisfying building, and I personally see the 2nd half of Nosferatu Man as a payoff because the repetition becomes cathartic in and of itself.

No way I would spend money on that piece of excrement.

Mine was Don, Aman

The music just has an odd sort of momentum to it.
Also, it's quite lyrical, which is a quality a lot of similar music lacks.

You cannot honestly believe that if you have listened through to the end

>essence of style
>compensating lack of arguments with nonsense
It's an above average album, which inspired some greats bands to write great music. But it's historical importance doesn't magically improve the utterly mediocre material it consists of.

nothing inspired by slint came close to their level

this

literally everyone slint inspired have surpassed them

this

>The music just has an odd sort of momentum to it.

In terms of structure and time signature shit, sure. But I mean Washer and Good Morning, Captain should be quite easily discernible in terms of the emotion and various releases that are supposed to be derived out of the song. It's not quite as linear as traditional post-rock tends to be but I don't think it's that esoteric.

I have listened to it many times. It's not good.

how cant you

This. So much this.

This is turning out to be a good thread. That original guy again. I'm just another user so take what I say with a grain of salt. What I mean is when there is a payoff, tension isn't necessarily resolved, at least for me. Sure it explodes, but it still feels a little uneasy afterwards, especially when they cut right back to what was building in the first place. This is in contrast to the other loud-quiet stuff that other bands have done. I want to listen to the album again with your comment in mind though. I listened to washer and the release is pretty satisfying, so maybe I'm just an idiot. The only tension after the release in washer might be the very last note. Middle of finals so I might not get back to you.

examples? I honestly don't know of any.
June of 44 - Engine Takes to the Water? Rodan -Rusty? Mogwai fear Satan?

Only people with less than 18yo because muh intensity

Unwound.

>Unwound
I see this album in a lot of charts but I've never listened. I'm liking it so far.

the cropping of that album really triggers me

But honestly, Comparing it to Slint is comparing apples to oranges.

How so?

I'm only part way through the album, as a first listen it seems like more of a post-punk post-hardcore album. Just feel like I'm enjoying it for other reasons.

It's a great cover, user. The black borders are claustrophobic and add to the feeling.

it's for people who experience social isolation for the first time in their lives

I recommend The For Carnation to every Slint fan out there. It is very much the spiritual successor to Spiderland in many ways. It's Brian McMahan's band, and Britt does drums on one of the tracks on it.

The songs are more mellow, they share much more in common with For Dinner... than anything else on Spiderland, but it still has a very familiar feel to it. It's a fantastic album.

Just like Spiderland there are no bad songs on it.

you dont have to like the album but if you cant recognize the talent in it you shouldn't be commenting on music in general :)

>talent
>slint
>kek

This album requires focus. You need to tune your ears to listen to each instrument's ornamentation that create a gloomy atmosphere along with the lyrics. Once you do this you'll appreciate the album a lot more. Slint is a band that "clicks" with you after repeated listens. Trust me.

how insecure can you possibly be? why not just listen to it and understand it? it's definitely not bad. you can not like it but not liking it doesn't make it bad.

anyone else hooked the first time they heard Breadcrumb Trail?

The lyrics and singing suck dick.

Nigga don't even try to trigger me right now. Brian's singing and lyrics are perfect. It's like listening to your best friend from high school having a nervous breakdown and turning into a columbine kid.

wtf i didnt know the beach boys were that intense

Nope. I listened through the album in one sitting and nothing really grabbed me at all, I have a really poor attention span though.

But after I was done with it, the only memorable thing I took away from it, is I remembered enjoying "Washer" so I revisited that track a few hours later and I couldn't stop listening to it, listened to it probably 6 times in a row, then I listened t For Dinner and Good Morning, Captain and I loved those two, I kept playing them. Then I revisited the first half again and that's when I realized the entire fucking thing was perfect and I felt like an idiot for not getting it the first time.

>no payoff

have you fucking listened to all of the last track? how is that not the most satisfying musical moment ever? i actually don't get it

literally name one band you stupid fucks