British english

>british english

Other urls found in this thread:

pbs.org/speak/ahead/change/ruining/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

British Muslim*

you mean proper english?

>american english

There are more americans than brits. Correctness is decided by the users of the language.

hence: american english is correct

Also Brits and Americans from the 1700 and 1600's used to speak with an accent that sounded more American (Pronouncing the r's) not pronouncing the r's became fashionable in Britain later on because the royals adopted it. So if anything, American English is more correct.

> Correctness is decided by the users of the language
bullshit m8.

if not the users of the language, who does?

aren't you familiar with the concept of linguistic descriptivism?

stupid brit bong smh

>English English - Correct English (the queen motherfuckers)
>American English - The one everyone uses

>Standard English (SE) refers to whatever form of the English language is accepted as a national norm in any English-speaking country

>English English is correct
>Scottish English is correct
>American English is correct

This post is just made by a jealous american faggot

>jealous american faggot

nope, just a european who acknowledges that the american spelling is more correct.

God save the Queen

>american spelling is more correct
>more correct

Doesn't even speak English correctly and is trying to dictate the use of the English language.

Something can't be more or less correct, something is either correct or incorrect there is no varying degrees of correctness.

Fucking UK English is English, its our Language and the Americans have modified it. Therefore, its the correct, original and "real" English.

Colour not Color
Armour Not Armor
Boot not Trunk
Bonnet not Hood.

>my face when americans call chips "french fries"
>my face when americans call crisps "chips"
>my face when americans call chocolate globbernaughts "candy bars"
>my face when americans call motorized rollinghams "cars"
>my face when americans call merry fizzlebombs "fireworks"
>my face when americans call wunderbahboxes a "PC"
>my face when americans call meat water "gravy"
>my face when americans call electro-rope "power cables"
>my face when americans call beef wellington ensemble with lettuce a "burger"
>my face when americans call whimsy flimsy mark and scribblers "pens"
>my face when americans call twisting plankhandles "doorknobs"
>my face when americans call breaddystack a "sandwich"
>my face when americans call their hoighty toighty tippy typers "keyboards"
>my face when americans call nutty-gum and fruit spleggings "peanut butter and jelly"
>my face when americans call an upsy stairsy the "escalator"
>my face when americans call forcey fun time "rape"
>my face when americans call a knittedy wittedy sheepity sleepity a "sweater"
>my face when americans call a rickedy-pop a "gear shift"
>my face when americans call a choco chip bicky wicky as a "cookie"
>my face when americans call peepee friction pleasure "sex"
>my face when americans call a pip pip gollywock a "screwdriver"
>my face when americans call a rooty tooty point-n-shooty a "gun"
>my face when americans call ceiling-bright a "Lightbulb"
>my face when americans call blimpy bounce bounce a "ball"
>my face when americans call a slippery dippery long mover a "snake"
>my face when americans call cobble-stone-clippity-clops "roads"
>my face when americans call wobbly flip-shutters "doors"
>my face when americans call a Small Ben a "clock"
>my face when americans call niffy poo pudding "feces"
>my face when americans call cold-on-the-cob "popsicles"
>my face when americans call a loony chuckle fairy a "clown"
>my face when americans call a cuff-link time Johnny a "watch"

look at American English is much closer to the English spoken in the 1600's if anyone changed the language, it was the brits.

Elaborate, and regardless, Its English, England.

Stop butchering our language with this "Trash can"bullshit

Fucking this.

Eckdde nice copy paste right there eckdeee

nice pasta fag

>American English

>elaborate

pbs.org/speak/ahead/change/ruining/

American is literally the more conservative dialect and brit bongs still whine about them "butchering" language

What is the language called again? Oh yes ENGLISH. It's in the fucking name you fucking capitalist scum.

I see your point, but UK English is still "The English language" regardless, its the language which people took over to America with them and it then evolved slightly differently.

Its still based on our Language, and regardless of how its similar to "Old English" its based on UK English, or at least what UK English was at the time.

UK English is "proper English" and any other form of it it is a evolution or a modification of the basic English Language. Our Languages may have evolved seperatley, but they are sill based on the same "UK English".

There is also the whole "ENGLAND - ENGLISH" argument, and also the fact that i am English meaning i should be the one telling other people what English is, but that's a dumb argument and is using trivial things to explain the language.

I love speaking to Americans because they just say things funny, i've always found its enjoyable for both me and the yank im talking to as we enjoy hearing the differences in how each other speak.

I have no problem with the American-English language existing, besides when they fucking spell Colour wrong. But we can co exist, as long as you concede that you spell colour wrong.

Just read back this post and ironically my grammar is off. RIP

Well done OP

America has the most english speakers of any country so they get to decide what the language should sound like.

>I see your point
>its the language which people took over to America with them and it then evolved slightly differently

You clearly don't get my point. The brits are the ones who modified the language. The americans remained conservative.

>UK English is "proper English" and any other form of it it is a evolution or a modification of the basic English Language.
>There is also the whole "ENGLAND - ENGLISH" argument, and also the fact that i am English meaning i should be the one telling other people what English is

Why? Just because that is geographically where the language came from? That is a shit reason.

Thought experiment:

Say every brit but one died. Is UK english still the proper dialect?
Off course not.

You 64 million brits are the one speaking the fringe dialect. Not the 314 million americans.

I think I'll cash in my crisps now.

Well, no if all of us but one died, it would still be English, It'd just be a dead language.

Its irrelevant how many people speak a language.

Man all i want is you to concede that you guys spell colour wrong, and saying that American is the same as old English is a daft point.

If i still spelt Shop as shoppe would that mean i spoke "Better English" no, it wouldn't because its archaic.

Just concede you spell colour wrong and we can go about our lives, we're not going to agree here its obvious.

But that is alright, as long as you agree colour is the correct spelling .

>Just concede you spell colour wrong and we can go about our lives

there is no U when i say color tbh

England started the English language so they're right tbh.

Theiy're*

Thought experiment:

Say every brit but one died. Is UK english still the proper dialect?
Off course not.

your argument holds 0 (zero) ground

Also, Spanish is spoken in America, idk the statistics but im pretty sure there are more Spanish Speakers in Mexico, and the US than there are in Spain.

Does that mean Spain' Spanish isn't the "real Spanish"?

But they're the creators? The USA adobted their language. It doesn't matter if their population is lower then the USA, they still founded the language meaning they're right in my view.

adjustable spanner not monkey wrench

So, the English language in England has evolved, since the English spoken in the USA is no longer the same as whats spoken in England, surely it should b classified as American English?

I don't see how you can classify it as not real English as is its whats spoken in England, what are you gonna call it, English English? The welsh have their own language, and so do the Irish and Scottish (although hardly anyone speaks them in Ireland and Scotland) but even so the Scottish use some different words similar to how the Americans do so how can you say British English?

idiot

I speaks in ebonics nigga I dont need no british eglish

That's essentially the same as saying because Latin is a dead language, French, Spanish and other languages are the proper dialect.

Or essentially Brazilian Portuguese is the correct Portuguese because there are more Brazilians than Portuguese people.

It's not right.

Brits invented it, Americans perfected it. The end.

I before e, except after c, except when said "ay" as in "neighbor" and "weigh."

Don't forget "science" and "weird"

Yep you Americans adding words like microaggression and genderqueer have enriched us all
LOL

the US didn't ado""""B"""""t english. Their settlers spoke the languages natively. They are descended from the people who ""ïnvented"" the english language just as much as the English.

>So, the English language in England has evolved, since the English spoken in the USA is no longer the same as whats spoken in England, surely it should b classified as American English?

No, the english language in England has evolved because it is simply not as close to old english as American english.

>I don't see how you can classify it as not real English as is its whats spoken in England, what are you gonna call it, English English? The welsh have their own language, and so do the Irish and Scottish (although hardly anyone speaks them in Ireland and Scotland) but even so the Scottish use some different words similar to how the Americans do so how can you say British English?

I am not talking about the local dialects. I am talking about the standard spelling idiot. Everyone knows the different countries in the UK have different langauges.

>That's essentially the same as saying because Latin is a dead language, French, Spanish and other languages are the proper dialect.

you are saying that as if it is a false statement?

Its only the pronunciation that is closer to older English, the spelling is not, so you have just invalidated your whole argument

American spelling is only different because it has undergone some spelling reforms that made its orthography closer to its phonology. thus the american spelling is more correct.

(that being said, both american english & british english spelling are flawed af)

Pretty sure the US adobted the language

the US didn't ado""""B"""""t english. Their settlers spoke the languages natively. They are descended from the people who ""ïnvented"" the english language just as much as the English.

I'm pretty sure most Spanish people speak Catalan tbh

So you agree the British made the language

Most of the USA today is not of English ancestry though, less than the population of Britain.

yes and the american settlers descended from them. Their claim of inventing the language is just as valid as the british one.