I'm about to install an aftermarket radio into my car by myself because I don't want to pay rape installation prices;...

I'm about to install an aftermarket radio into my car by myself because I don't want to pay rape installation prices; However, I have no experience in soldering wires together or anything of the like. How easy is it? Any tips to not fuck up?

Shameful self bump

You don't have to solder anything. You just go to a store and get a wireing harnes that matches you car. Then you get a mounting kit to match your car too. Then take the wires from the back of the deck and connect color to color on the wiring harness. You can either use electrical tape (

right*

Only stupid fucks would install a new radio. Whats wrong with the radio you currently have?

Factory radios are underpowered which affects sound quality, clearly you know nothing about stereos.

Buy a crimper and a bunch of crimp caps along with the mounting kit and wiring harness. Don't get the twist-on caps, and don't use electrical tape. Your stereo and harness should come with a guide showing what cables should be connected. 99/100 times the colors will match. It's a pretty easy install once you've done it once or twice.

Just bought a used car and the CD player doesn't work nor does it have an Aux port. Im installing it so I can listen to my own music rather than the shitty music that the radio stations in my area play.

Buy some of pic related and a crimp tool to connect wires

Thanks for the replies. I thought that crimping wires together isn't as efficient (or something like that) as soldering the wires together. I already bought heatshrink and solder from Amazon. Would the task be anymore difficult soldering instead? Also I have a long lime green wire that attaches to the parking break(for movies and shit), where do I wire that to since its not on my harness?

I did this when I was 15... Without the Internet.
You got this.

OK. Im the first poster. If its a screen deck and you want to use it, watch videos, etc while you drive you want to ground that wire with the other ground wire (usually black). Pretty much its a "safety" feature. You connect that wire to the parking break, then the movie screen wont play unless you're in park. So just ground it with the other ground wire. Thats what I do.

Thanks for the motivation. Hopefully I don't fuck anything up.

No, you dont want to crimp a DC voltage wire. It needs to be soldered

The differences in quality for crimping vs soldering are miniscule with wires that small. Soldering can be tricky if you haven't done it before, but when I solder wires together I usually just twist them together, wrap the connection with solder and heat it all up. Cover the connection up with electrical tape or heatshrink. Not sure about the parking brake wire, it's specific to your car as to where it connects.

Okay so essentially I'm wiring the parking break wire to the black wires on my harness and on the wiring that came with my radio?

They will sell a wiring loom at your local auto store if it is a common car and your not living in some where like the uk driving ford f150 or car that is way out of place, you will also probably need a farcica to hide the edges again at your local auto store

If not by on on eBay no soldering plug and play connections.

Just be careful with trim if you have to remove any. The Google is your friend

Cool. Anyway to take of the trim if I don't have pry tools?

Dont touch the tip of the gun with solder. Practice all little. If you have a steady hand you can handle it. Use common sense

You shouldnt have to solder anything. And its usually color coded wires so kind of hard to fuck that up.

Flathead screwdriver

Yes. The green wire that says it needs to go on the parking break is just a safety feature to help with people watching movies while they are driving. I say fuck that I want the screen to play while Im driving. So you just connect that green wire to your ground wire on the harness. Then the wire will be grounded and the deck will "think" you are in park and will play videos, movies, etc while you drive or whenever you want.

Nice, thanks.

The old flathead works ok, best to use 2. Big wide one though, the little ones will chew up plastic

Since I'm soldering, basically twist all three wires together and solder like normal?

You got it. Goodluck

Honestly a panel kit is like $8 at harbor freight. Autozone is like $15. Worth the money

Shit, thanks for your help guys.

what i did the last time was to get the wiring harness adapter for the car, and then before i even got to the car, i had connected 90% of the wires by matching the harness for the car with the harness for the new radio and soldering and shrink-tubing the connections.

read the installation manual.

just make sure they are ground wires that you solder the green parking break one to.

Black right?

Also, when disconnecting the battery before install, what tool do I need to do so? I'm borrowing tools from my friend so I need to let him know which tool to use.

Ya, usually they are black. It should say on the wire GRD or something to that effect. Or the harness should say, in the book or something. But yes the ground wire is usually black.

Like I said man, I don't have any experience.

Alternative to wirestrippers?