Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1789

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
djtguide.neocities.org/

Special Sup Forums FAQ:
>What's the point of this thread?
For learners of Japanese to come and ask questions and shitpost with other learners. Japanese people learning English can come too I guess.
>Why is it here?
The mods moved us here and won't let us go anywhere else.
>Why not use the pre-existing Japanese thread?
The cultures are completely different.
>Go back to Sup Forums
We'd like to. Bitch to the mods.

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

ankiweb.net/shared/info/874215009
catdog21.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-67.html
twitter.com/batou_kata
ankisrs.net/docs/manual.html
youtube.com/watch?v=F1j1Zx0mXME
patreon.com/learnkanjibyetymology
jx-group.co.jp/hanataba/stories/new/ippan-03/03.html
djt.neocities.org/bunpou/full_day.html#㊦そうだ(2)
djt.neocities.org/bunpou/full_day.html#㊥なあ
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuki-onna
blackemperor.jp/shop/
sacbee.com/site-services/databases/article32679753.html
people.vcu.edu/~mamcdani/Publications/McDaniel (2006) Estimating state IQ.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Cause no one else wants to make a new thread edition.

What's funny is, over in the programming threads, people are quite eager to post new OPs (sometimes before the bump limit is even reached) because they want their OP image to "win". It's the weeb and/or trap shitposters versus the normies every thread. Sometimes we have to ignore premature OPs since we choose the earliest after the bump limit.

In Anki, is the best way to hide all of a certain type of card (without destroying its HTML template) to just search for that type in the browser and suspend all of them?

I feel like that's a really hacky solution.

>people are quite eager to post new OPs (sometimes before the bump limit is even reached) because they want their OP image to "win".
なんか似てる気がしますが
(*/ω\*)

This gives you a little more scope but it's still ultimately a pretty hacky solution.
ankiweb.net/shared/info/874215009

How accurate is Google Translate for very simple sentences (only about 3/4 through Tae Kim)? Usually, before I post on Lang-8 I break up my entry into short sentences and see what Google Translate thinks it is (JP->EN). If it's a mess, I'll look up some grammar and adjust the sentence until the translation sounds better but I never take stuff from its EN->JP translations.

I know google translate used to be trash but there was a big update a couple months ago that made it much better, but I don't know if it's a good learning tool or not.

>How accurate is Google Translate for very simple sentences
Varies. It can give you something approximate but still sound Engrish.
>I break up my entry into short sentences
Unless you entry is comprised of short sentences, that isn't a great idea. Google Translate doesn't remotely handle more complex things like embedded clauses or subclauses. The moment you start to introduce complexity is the moment it starts to throw out weird things.
Don't be afraid to make mistakes. What I mean by that is that it's better for you to make up sentences by applying knowledge of grammar and vocab from your studies than it is parsing it through a translation device before hand. Better off making a complete mess of it and getting actual feedback which directly applies to what you came up with than it is getting feedback from artificially adjusted sentences you filtered through with Google Translate, because the Japanese (Korean) on Lang-8 aren't really commenting on your own output.
Give it to them raw if you want to give it to them. Don't fear the blood; the pain subsides and after a while it will start to feel good.

>Engrish
Japgrish? Jinglish?

anki is not a drinking game bonkura

>bonkura
This is potentially useful:
catdog21.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-67.html
>ケツの穴が小さい
Thank you Japan.

This is potentially dangerous:
twitter.com/batou_kata

Surely bright yellow background with no differentiation in boldness between Kanji is not conducive to learn. For the life of me I can't find the settings to change that though

I got you homeboy.
The deck used for the screenshot was just a test deck based on the core2k/6k deck, so it should have a similar enough template to yours if you are using one of the Core decks from the djt site.
Anki card layouts are all done with HTML and CSS (and javascript, but yeah).
For future issues, seek this bad boy first:
ankisrs.net/docs/manual.html
youtube.com/watch?v=F1j1Zx0mXME

側面
面相
面積
測定
正面

They are all the same to me, and I'm sure there is another one I'm missing.

Adjectival Nouns #10: Predicative Phrases

田中教授はあの論文にとても批判的なようでした。・たなかきょうじゅのろんぶんにとてもひはんてきなようでした。・Professor Tanaka appeared to be very critical of that paper.

日本の地下鉄は便利なはずだ。・にほんのちかてつはべんりなはずだ。・ The subways in Japan are supposed to be convenient.

田中 has been covered in a previous lesson.

教授・キョウジュ・professor/instruction is comprised of 教・キョウ・teach and 授・ジュ・instruct/confer. 教 is comes from quite an old assortment of radicals. First there is the 爻 stacked X marks above a 子 child. This radical pictogram shows a child counting marks or stones/bones. These stacked X marks can also be found in the 老 old radical, but it has been changed from 爻 this to 耂 this. The story here is that the 爻 counted years start to show when an old man can only eat soup with a 匕 spoon. So remember 耂 this radical means counting marks. 攵 shows a teaching ruler used to 攵 rap children on the knuckles when they aren't paying attention to 教 teaching. Together the kanji shows 子 children counting 爻 marks and being 攵 rapped on the knuckles with a ruler 攵. 授 shows the 手 radical on the left uses the phonetic of 受 /*[d]uʔ/ from the old Chinese (じゅ in Japanese). 受 is actually also made of two other hand radicals, and shows a 爪 hand with a 凡 plate 又 being handed over - this radical means to hand over. 受ける・うける means to receive or get. Together 手 and 受 in 授 implies instructing or imparting something, be it technical skills or an award. 教授 shows someone 教 rapping kids over the knuckles while teaching them and 授 imparting practical skills.

教授・キョウジュ・professor/instruction

Cont'd.

論文・ロンブン・thesis/essay/paper is made up of 論・ロン・argument/discourse and 文・ブン・literature/literary radical. 論 shows 言 talk/speak 亼 assemble and 冊 bamboo strips strung together (a bamboo scroll). 侖 (Chinese phonetic /*run/) means logical reasons or logical order, from 亼 assembling the 冊 strips together the right way. But most people don't really want to read the thesis you 亼 assembled on 冊 bamboo strips, so they make you present your thesis 言 orally at a temple/university. The original form of 文 is 紋 which is made up 糸 and 文, showing a man with outstretched arms and a tattoo (possibly applied by a needle). In its current form 文 shows a 亠 head and 乂 arms outstretched, similar to 大, but with a big chest. This idea of using this kanji to represent 文 literature comes from tattooing important written or drawn things on people permanently. Now if you really believe in your work, you would 紋 tattoo your 論文 to your 文 chest. Just make sure it isn't the first draft.

論文・ロンブン・thesis/essay/paper

批判的・ヒハンテキ・critical/judgmental is made up of 批・ヒ・criticism, 判・ハン・judgement/seal and 的・テキ・mark/target. 批 shows a 手 radical and 比 two men (人 + 人). The phonetic comes from 比 /*C.pijʔ/, which in Japanese is pronounced ヒ and is also the root of ヒ in katakana. When 比 two men are 批 critical of each other they tend to raise their 手 fists. 判 shows a 半 half a cow being 刀 cut up into smaller pieces and 判 judged for quality. Unlike many other kanji, the phonetic from this kanji comes from the first radical 半 /*pˤan-s/ in Chinese, which later became ハン in Japanese. 的 shows a 白 white 丶target marked 勹 on a spoon-like object like a 的 bulls-eye for 的 target practice. When you direct your 批 criticism and 判 judgement at a 的 target (someone), you are being very 批判的 critical.

Cont'd.

批判的・ヒハンテキ・critical/judgmental

田中教授は・Professor Tanaka subject ・あの論文に・ that paper target ・とても批判的なようでした。very critical appeared (to be/was).

日本・ニホン・ニッポン・Japan. Literally 本 origin of the 日 sun, or land of the rising sun, or the country that sees the sun first (before we discovered all those islands).

地下鉄・チカテツ・subway is comprised of 地・チ・ground/earth, 下・カ・below/down and 鉄・テツ・iron. 地 shows a 也 funnel 土 under the earth. 下 shows the 一 the ground卜 and a crack in an oracle bone, basically a tunnel to the underground. 鉄 is quite complex. 金 shows an 亼 assembly with 王 upside down axes splitting 呂 blocks of metal. 金 can be read as metals in general, but was initially used for copper. 失 shows 丿 something falling from a 手 hand. 鉄 was simplified from 鐵, which is too old for me to analyse, so I cannot give you an accurate etymology for 鉄. For mnemonics just remember a 金 metal that was readily 失 taken off the people's hands (because peasants shouldn't be making weapons). Together these kanji make an 地下 underground 鉄 iron thing, which can only mean the subway.

地下鉄・チカテツ・subway

便利 has been covered in a previous lesson.

日本の地下鉄は・Japanese subways subject ・便利なはずだ。convenient supposed to be.

はず is another form of conjecture, which roughly translates to 'that is supposed to be the case'. It is used when the speaker is drawing conclusions from circumstantial evidence (look for this in law dramas).

That is all for today.

Tune in tomorrow for another lesson.

I'm in the process of migrating over to patreon.com/learnkanjibyetymology

I haven't set everything up yet, but the lessons will appear there from now on. Lessons will remain free and published daily.

Within the coming week I will also start adding video lessons, which will also cover writing and stroke orders.

>Patreon
Well, then it's time to stop posting here and get a YouTube channel instead.

I'll still post lessons, I just won't advertise.

i-i dont know word of Japanese but i like to lurk
it's comfy

level of use frequency and meaning

側面…**** side
面相…* a face
面積…**** area
測定…*** measurement
正面…***** front

いらっしゃいませ!のんびりして、ボスニア君!

Please translate

はっ!? フェリスの実は女の子だったルートねぇの!? マジ激おこ!

The pleasure of cumming inside フェリス

Huh
Isn't there the route in which Felice was a girl actually?
I am fucking angry.
her pussy is Patuya's

Patuya? Who?

come to JT

i can learn japanese

Why does JT alternate between wanting us gone and wanting us to merge with them?

Low poster populations and short term memory forgetting how obnoxious how people can be.

jx-group.co.jp/hanataba/stories/new/ippan-03/03.html

Looking at the last sentence here
ユキエは、お母さんのような雪女にはなれそうにないなあと思いながら、手紙を出しました。
Yukie, while thinking [.....], sent the letter.

is it 雪女には慣れそうにない
or 雪女に離れそうにない

and what is it saying? I can't make sense of it

www.Sup Forums.org/rules
>11. Advertising (all forms) is not welcome—this includes any type of referral linking, "offers", soliciting, begging, stream threads, etc.
The only way the idiot is going to leave is when mods do their jobs, as he is breaking GR11 (and GR13). Remember to report and ignore, directly responding only feeds his desire for attention.

なる→なれる (potential) → なれそう
djt.neocities.org/bunpou/full_day.html#㊦そうだ(2)

Can I ask why you give readings in カタカナ? I know it's traditionally done in schools and certain textbooks, but to a beginner using your lessons, hiragana's always going to be easier to read.

So
"there's no way i'll be a snow woman like my mother"
?

>there's no way
doesn't it sound too negative? I at first thought of "unlikely"

t. dumb Jap

Yukie, while thinking "I don't want to become a snow woman like my mother", sent the letter.

goddaamn thank you

ayo what's it mean if a store has 在庫 of a product listed as ○ but I'm still able to add it to card and it doesn't say fuck all about it not being in stock aside from the ○ ?

Just shitty website?

core 2k, core 6k and core 10k all start with the same 2k card right?

You're right.
"It doesn't seem like I'll be able to become a Yuki-onna"

>tfw user doesn't read your reply and completely misunderstands the meaning
>djt.neocities.org/bunpou/full_day.html#㊥なあ
>なあ = I wish

please respond

Not him but なあ does not mean I wish in this case. The example at the link you provided is this:
車があったらいいなあ
In this case the sense of "I wish" comes from たらいいなあ, literally "it would be good if." なあ on its own should not necessarily be interpreted to mean "I wish."

What are you trying to say. Work on your communication skills.

If you are you REALLY need to realize that you are at the very peak of mt stupid and know absolutely fucking nothing.

Yeah, 10k certainly contains 6k so 2k is probably a part of them as well

He was asking about which order they are presented in though

What happened to #1788?

○(a circle, not a zero) is often used to mean "yes." So in this case it means "in stock."
× is often used to mean "no."

why would the order be different if they all start with simple words and were made by the same people?

Wait there isn't a core 10k deck in the the DJT

Thank you, I assumed ○ was 〇 (which I recall as meaning 0) but apparently it's not the same

Have this collectible football trading card

forgot the card

〇 can mean 0 but usually when in multi digit numbers like 二◯一七年 or 一◯◯円

I'm not sure I've ever seen it to mean 0 on it's own. I think 零 would be more common in that case

"なれそうにないなあ" means "I wish I did not become" or as you said "It would be good if I did not become". You didn't even read the entire entry, there's more than one example. It does not always mean I wish but in this context it does.

I'm saying that the user who asked the question completely misunderstood the meaning. And I highly doubt he understood the previous sentences either because his interpretation makes no sense given the context. You clearly haven't understood either if you think I'm wrong.

Yukie looks at herself in the water and sees her reflection. She sees that she looks good and healthy, unlike a yukionna. She has never seen a healthy looking yukionna. She writes a letter to her mother saying "Mother, this year I will not be working as a yukionna. Sorry."
Yukie, thinking "it would be nice if I did not become a yukionna like my mother", sent the letter.

The meaning of the phrase is very obvious from the context, and also if you know how to read japanese, which apparently you don't despite your heavy insulting of my capability.

ユキエは、
Yukie,
お母さんのような
Like her mother
雪女にはなれそうにない
not become a yukionna
なあ
expressing a wish or "would be nice", referring to "not become a yukionna".
と思いながら
while thinking that (while thinking "it would be nice if I did not become a yukionna like my mother")
手紙を出しました
sent the letter.

muh dick

With regards to learning Japanese; is there a point of no return? Like a point where you've already come so far and giving up would mean throwing all you're hard effort away.

>learning a language just so you can watch cartoons and read comics without translations

>The meaning of the phrase is very obvious from the context

Clearly not you fucking retard since you are insistent in your wrong interpretation despite 3 people and a japanese person discussing the correct one.

I'm not bothering to read your post fully because it would be a waste of time. The fact that you bothered linking DOJG means you aren't even close to the level to argue with me.

>being a brainlet

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuki-onna

Yuki-onna is a kind of ghost.
Though that story is treating Yuki-onna as an occupation of hereditary.
It's a kind of fantastic story.

Yukie says 'I will take a break from work of Yuki-onna on this winter.'.
She looks like a trainee who aims to be a Yuki-onna like her mother.

fuufuu

I tried checking out from a webstore (to buy pic related poster) but like all other Japanese webstores they don't deliver internationally

Can somebody recommend me a reliable and very cheap proxy-shipping service that you've used yourselves?

Store is this by the way, somebody might find it interesting
blackemperor.jp/shop/

Last OP fucked it up, I fixed it.

I've seen posts here before which mentioned quitting after a year of study. Two years I'm not sure, after 3 years you're probably in the clear but who knows. In short, it's not a principle which can keep you going by itself, though it does help.

No you fucking idiot. I know English and French.

Learn a viable language that will have a chance to greatly improve your socioeconomic standing. Spanish is far more viable than Japanese.

If I wanted to learn an East Asian language, it would be Mandarin and Cantonese, as white Chinese speakers are in very high demand and will land you a very good paying business job going back and forth for conferences, and translating documents into English.

I like Anime and I'm a weeb, but there is no point in expending so much energy and stress to learn a language of a country that is dying literally with an economy that has stagnated for close to 30 years now.

Maybe you'll forget everything if you don't study for 10 years, but if you take a break for a few months then you probably will still remember almost everything that you knew well enough to not need anki for.

>wanting to learn spanish or chinese
>wanting to deal with spanish or chinese people
is this some sort of shitpost?

死ね

>なあ
>expressing a wish or "would be nice", referring to "not become a yukionna".
not always follow this rule. in this case なあ means huh: used in questions to invite agreement or further comment.

t. an Engrish speaker

You're a neet so there's no helping you kek. If you learnt Chinese fluently you'd be able to land a six-figure job.

Nobody really gives a shit what you think though as you're seemingly nothing but a crypto-Jewish faggot who watches Chinese cartoons for little girls and only speaks one language aside from your native one (two languages which are very similar to each other anyway), and the fact that you'd learn a language solely for the Jewish reason of getting more $$$ rather than for actual personal reasons says a lot about what type of lowly, greedy Untermensch you are.

inb4 I get banned again by Facebook-tier mods

How is French or Spanish more "viable"?

Learning Chinese I understand.

>muh joos
>muh neet lyfe 4ever
>muh comfy small apartment paid by people who actually work and make good money

No wonder so many succesful people flee your overtaxed Islamic cuckhole. I wouldn't want to pqy for you or for Ahmed and his 12 kids.

I'm a neet? Since when?

>If you learnt Chinese fluently you'd be able to land a six-figure job.
So fucking what? If you get a non-shit degree you can do the same you fucking dipshit.

I have to agree with the nazi-swede.
>the fact that you'd learn a language solely for getting more $$$ rather than for actual personal reasons says a lot about what type of lowly, greedy subhuman you are.
right on point

Stop using "t.", it's not English.

>regards, Donald Mulaloipuweke

>card was a leech

Spanish in the US as the US will be Hispanic-majority in 40 years (I don't agree with it, voted Trump, but it's the reality) Spanish is also the third-most common language in the world.

French as it's another lingua franca of the world.

It matters a lot in the economy and job market. Neets don't understand.

>il vraiment croit que apprendre le français n'a pas été une perte du temps
本 本 本 本!

You dumb faggot I'm not NEET, and I speak Swedish, English, German, Serbian/Croatian and I'm learning Japanese, whereas you speak two practically identical languages that everybody else already knows anyway meaning your supposed job market is extremely saturated by people who have the exact same skills as you but are generally going to be more qualified in other regards than some shitposting fat American who watches anime.

You're nothing but a useless lardass who'll never amount to fuck all but waitering at French style fast-food restaurants.

The former is easier retarded fuck.

Have fun learning a language of a country that has one of the fastest decline 9f its population in the world, with an economy stagnating to shit and rapidly declining on the world market.

But you do it so you can beat off to your untranslated VNs, right?

>もともともともと

Wew why so much projecting there lad? Did I strike a nerve? I live in Scottsdale, Arizona m8 with an income of around $105,000.

I come here to laugh at you expending so much energy and stress to learn a meme language, kek.

>100k at the cost of having to live in arizona
i'm sorry dude not worth

Nobody cares what you earn, it doesn't make up for your absence of personality and missing foreskin you hooknosed swine.

Go speak French with some niggers from Rwanda

>probably a calitard as all his corporations and entrepreneurs flee to texas en masse
>his libshit whites move to better states to avoid the same policies that caused them to leave, and ruin the states by voting for the same politicians pushing calishit style policies

Life is all about money friend.

The thing about california is even if taxes are high people stay there because it's california.

The shit jobs might leave but the tech jobs stay because people who can make 150k don't want to live in a hick state

No not true. More people are leavibg than moving in.

sacbee.com/site-services/databases/article32679753.html

Your onerous regulations and hostility towards corporations and successful people is slowly starting to bite you in the ass.

>normalfags actually believe this
Imagine having a life so dull and pointless that you're reduced to this. If this is your reason to live, it sucks to be you.

To kikes like you, yes.
Other people generally have actual meaningful lives though, and can't just be replaced by other whores for gold once we die.

fucking this

I feel so bad for you poorfags, or maybe you had shitty parents idk

>hick state

people.vcu.edu/~mamcdani/Publications/McDaniel (2006) Estimating state IQ.pdf

Yours is one of the dumbest in the union. But it's probably because you are spic majority now.

I'm originally from WI by the way. Moved here for the nice weather.

hi, i am the "op" of this question.
this is the problem with these fucking flags. you thought you were talking to me here, but you weren't.

>and i highly doubt he understood the previous sentences either
wrong

>his interpretation makes no sense given the context
which is why i asked in the first place.

the FULL context: she was fat, and didn't want her mother to see it, so she went on a crash diet. eventually she ran across an struggling old lady, wound up helping them for a while, and wound up slim, but tanned and with muscular arms. so in the end she still couldn't show herself to her mother.

because the story has such a twist at the very end, it's hard to rely on context alone here. she could be lamenting the diet not working out the way she planned it, or celebrating her new look as she takes a break from her snow woman job, or neither

>it's another DJT spreads misinformation as facts and tries its best to misinterpret some resource to support the false claims episode
You know, you could improve this place so much if you just prefixed a lot of your stuff with "I believe" or "I think" when you don't actually know what you're talking about, and when you get corrected just go "I stand corrected. Thank you".

I don't think a lot of people who actually know what they're talking about will ever bother correcting someone when they know they'll have to argue with some autistic know-it-all kid for half an hour before the matter is settled.

スラブ人とゲルマン人ってどちらが美女が多いですか?

Money buys happiness. This is a fact.

Why are you neetfags with a government subsidized apartment? Because working successful people, especially the rich pay money so you can have an apartment, internet and disability payments to buy a computer to watch anime.

The world revolves around money. Money buys power my friends. This isn't rocket science nor does it take being a genius to figure it out.

I'm a hedonist. What's the best way to be a hedonist? To have a good amount of disposable income.

Those working successful people must be extremely stupid to give us their money then, you retarded faggot.
Go watch some French-subbed anime while jerking off into your onahole, otaku freak.