King Crimson
Pink Floyd
Van der Graaf Generator
Yes

Crimson>Yes>Floyd>Camel>Genesis>Giant>Tull>VDGG>ELL

*tips*

>Gentle Giant
meme band, awful by any standards

Where would you place Rush in that ranking?

The order depends on the person obviously. People who prefer complicated stuff are gonna be more for Crimson and Yes.

As a progressive band I dont think Pink Floyd are the best, but overall their still my favorite band.

The bottom
Thick as a Brick is a perfect album but most of Tull's other stuff is meh.

Just below Camel

King Crimson
Yes
Genesis
ELP
Pink Floyd
Premiata Forneria Marconi
Banco Mutuo Soccorso
Renaissance
Jethro Tull
Gentle Giant
VdGG
Caravan
Camel

I wish I could like VdGG more, I just cannot stand Hammill's vocals, apart from on a select few tracks like Killer.

Gentle Giant
Yes
Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Genesis
King Crimson
Pink Floyd
Camel
Van Der Graaf Generator

I actually like Hammill's voice, but a lot of his actual songwriting falls somewhat flat for me usually. H to He, Who Am the Only One is a good album though.

Care to explain further, memelord?

Elder god tier:
King Crimson

god tier:
VdGG

good tier:
Genesis

wank tier:
the rest

>Pink Floyd
>wank
wat

wank doesn't just imply a million notes a second or weird time signatures

pleb floyd's songwriting is full of wank: musical, lyrical, emotional

So are you implying King Crimson, VDGG, and Genesis don't also engage in musical, lyrical and emotional wankery? Wank might as well be a cornerstone of the genre so I don't get where you are going with this.

Floyd > Yes > Crimson > Jethro > Camel > Giant > Genesis > Van > Emerson

it's no longer wank if it's done right

talking shit

explain the whole 'emotional' and 'lyrical' wank
other than The Wall, the winge of roger waters

I'd rather not

I haven't listened to pleb floyd since I was a teenager and I'm better off for it

KC > irrelevant

Sadly, this
Its absurd how superior was King Crimson in their prime over rest of the prog

This one is my favorite prog rock album so far.

kc>vdgg>prog thats none of those>those

>I haven't listened to Henry Cow, Soft Machine or Magma.

I have

i guess you have to hear VdGG at the right time in your life, when I discovered them in high school they were my favorite band by far and his lyrics were the best part for me, coupled with the rock opera type style and vocals which I had never heard before. Even though I think a lot different now I can always come back to vdgg. Theyve always been a love or hate band like ELP or Alan Parsons Project, you either here the best thing in the world or complete wank, which I think is true of all prog to a lesser degree

you forgot about the moody blues, but i guess some people dont call that prog, ive never heard of this big 9 so idk

Anybody here listened to this? The comfy cover makes me want to listen to this, plus it's Chritmas album.

VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR >the whole Canterbury>Genesis >Yes > King Crimson > Gentle Giant > Jethro Tull > Camel > Emerson Lake and Palmer

Pink Floyd aren't prog you damn americans

i will say vdgg struck me as the kind of thing that would resonate well to someone in their late teens and early 20's, not that thats bad, no shame in being young

Genesis > Pink Floyd > Jethro Tull > King Crimson > Yes > ELP > Van der Graf Generator > Gentle Giant

But I must add, I don't consider much of Pink Floyd and Jethro Tulls output prog

Yeah but they have such a different sound compared to the other bands. They really had their own style, they never sounded like typical 70s prog unlike Genesis or Yes

What would you classify Floyd as then? Psychedelic Blues Rock?

Depends on their phases, mostly a generic art-rock, but while they were sometimes superficially influenced by the "proggish" air of the early seventies, they were never a prog-rock group.

At the end of the day their most complex songs are always blues based, even when there dilated and drenched in effects.

None of them would be in my Top 25 favorite prog bands, most of them have a good song or album but some not even that

GOAT prog there user. Second spasm is the shit.

Im lucky to have seen them live last year

i dont think i could name 25 prog bands that doesnt include those without dipping into bands that are dubiously prog like Krautrock and Rock in Opposition stuff, but ive always been more into post-punk (which i consider those genres closer to) than prog. At least 10 would be Canterbury and that dips into jazz ahhh

Yeah, I can resonate with that high school mentality. I used to listen to just really (for lack of a better word) generic bands such as The Beatles, Oasis, etc. and then I heard Gentle Giant and they just suddenly clicked for me, albums like The Power and the Glory and In a Glass House still to this day are my favorite albums of all time.

They definitely were the originators of symphonic prog, at least.

For some reason I could never really get into this album beyond Checkmate.

Okay, if you're going that route, that's fair, if what you are calling prog is exactly what those bands did, then I don't really much care for prog

I wouldn't oppose the inclusion of RIO in th realm of prog, but krautrock got its own thing going.

>For some reason I could never really get into this album beyond Checkmate.

Haha thats funny because thats my least favourite song

Except that Krautrock is actually just the exact same prog of every other part of the world but German, there's few similarities between most Krautrock bands musically

Next you're going to say Swedish prog doesn't count or Italian or French, etc.

Pink Floyd > Jethro Tull > King Crimson > Genesis > Van der Graaf Generator > Yes > Emerson Lake & Palmer > Gentle Giant > Camel

krautrock got absolutely nothing to do with prog rock as it has historically developed, it's influences, and how it worked in reaction to what came before it.
this approach a la prog-archives where everything counts is detrimental to the definition and progressive rock.

Progressive rock doesn't just mean experimental or artful rock from the seventies, it has had some precise charachteristic otulined by a few paradigmatic bands.

1) No blues, as the basis for rock. Classical music, jazz, and folk go instead. That's why there's not many prog bands from the USA, this conception of rock is alien.

2) No jammy stuff, nothing is left to chance, everything is studied, like an architectural project. The attitude from a guy like Fripp is miles away how "heady rock" was made, now look at Hippie burnouts like Can or Amon Duul, they're countinuing the experience set in the previous decade.

In Krautrock, while I agree there's not a common sound, there's a common root, and that's all to strange whenre there's german prog, with a sound much more similar to the english paradigmatic counterpart

Pink floyd are completely missing the "wankery" parts other prog bands have. They're either a more atmosphere or song-based band or go into avant-garde shit like Atom Heart Mother or Ummagumma. There's not much focus on musical complexity just for the sake of it like other prog bands do.

>No jammy stuff, nothing is left to chance
It would mean, that Tull isnt prog
Camel was also doing some jams, I believe

You're right, great definition of prog and krautrock. Problem is that the term krautrock got used for almost any rock music made in germany in the 70s. Even Ton Steine Scherben get labeled as krautrock by some

where's Rush?

1. Pink Floyd
2. King Crimson
3. Yes
4. Rush
5. Genesis
6. EL&P
7. Jethro Tull
8. VdGG
9. Camel
10. Gentle Giant

yeah I know, it's a remnant of the early days of internet, whe rediscovering old krautrock albums was all the rage

Jethro Tull are an outlier, they had lots of blues and hard rock too in their records, another one is Gong for example,
But look at what is arguably their most prog album, Thick as a Brick, nothing is left to chance there. Now probably every band jammed live every now and then, but what counts imo is their studio records.

>good tier:
>Genesis
Wat

Psychedelic Floyd > prog Floyd

Tull aren't as prog as the others in that list but albums like Thick as a Brick, Aqualung and Songs from the Wood still qualify them as a prog band. No Jamming and lots of classical/folk/jazz influence

I love this album
Why isnt this mucore?

What is prog floyd to you? I'd say Wish You Were Here and Animals are their only albums you could really call prog rock

Yes > King Crimson > Pink Floyd > Genesis > Jethro Tull > ELP > Camel > Gentle Giant > VDGG

13th Floor Elevators > psych Floyd

I honestly cant.
They all have their GOAT records, they all have their lows.

>King Crimson
>Yes
>Genesis
>Gentle Giant
>Jethro Tull
>Van der Graaf Generator
>Camel
>Pink Floyd
>Emerson Lake & Palmer