Is Trip Hop dead, Sup Forums?

Is Trip Hop dead, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YoT-D0KdPyY
youtube.com/watch?v=9t7SclAXoQw
youtube.com/watch?v=xZmAbjH8lGU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It was a short lived 90s scene, most artists have moved on from that stle

I've got good news for you, there is no such thing as trip-hop. It does not exist. It's a figment of a lame cunt's imagination. There was never any thing such as trip-hop. It was a polite thing to say when you are trying to explain that your not into boring old rock and roll, but you didn't dare to say rap because you were afraid of getting kicked out of the party and they wouldn't let you smoke up their weed anymore.

There is hip-hop, there's rap there's gangsta rap, there's g funk, there's miami bass there's bounce, west coast, east coast, underground... Trip-hop doesn't mean shit.

Nah.
If this were true, I'd be into hip-hop by now.

So what genre are Portishead and Massive Attack to you? Trip-hop has no rapping and music is a combination of music found in both hip hop and electronic music, not solely hip hop music. People do sometimes go over the top and call everything a new genre, but trip hop is genuinely an independent (sub)genre.

Lol retard

It died with Mezzanine and the 90s
whatever neo-triphop or albums those great triphop groups released thereafter weren't just up to snuff, so I can think it ended with the turn of the millenium.

I'm also one of those people who enjoyed Portishead's "Third", but thought it was their weakest of their 3 albums

Third is not trip hop
And it's better than s/t

>who is FKA Twigs

Also, even some of Lana Del Ray's songs have been labeled trip hop

Neither are trip hop

youtube.com/watch?v=YoT-D0KdPyY
this came out this year

I guess. I never really saw it as a true genre, just a particular (geographic) scene of electronic music.

I mean, Portishead never sounded much like Massive Attack or Tricky, and those were the big three.

The important thing is that the influence of these artists still lives on.

Gorillaz is probably releasing something within the next year

youtube.com/watch?v=9t7SclAXoQw

it's actually the hip shit right now

trip hop is popular today, but its just a random shitty lofi piano playing over dry sounding drums

>And it's better than s/t
thinking back on that, yeah I think I mixed it up.
ye Third is their second-best

Which isn't trip hop

>actually taking the time to type this out just so you can get into an argument on a Tunisian Sailor Moon fansite board

Find the nearest noose.

Trip hop by definition is breaks + funk/soul

>tfw listening to Blue Lines for the first time while a bit drunk and a bit high
youtube.com/watch?v=xZmAbjH8lGU

Listening to Maxinquae by Tricky being drunk af and a bit high was one of my best musical experiences, with Blue Lines it must be pretty good too

That album is so good for the first 4 tracks, but then it kinda fizzles out.

Nearly God is more consistent.

Although I greatly appreciate the decline of western civ reference, trip hop is definitely its own thing.

I honestly think he hit his peak with Pre-Millennium Tension

It is
Massive Attack, and Portishead explored the whole trip-hop space to it's conclusion.

beautifully said