Ask a bored paramedic anything

Ask a bored paramedic anything

Had anyone die on you?

A few. Not really, though. Most of the dead people I deal with are already dead in cardiac arrest before I ever get to them.

Has it left traumatized in any way?

What happens if someone can't afford treatment, transportation etc? Do you just leave them or are you obliged to take them anyway?

What's your job?

They have to be treated, by law. Can't deny anyone treatment just because they can't pay.

Not really traumatized, but it has changed me. I've seen terrible things, but I've also helped a lot of people.

Overpriced taxi

You've got a patient in what you determine is SVT, patient is symptomatic, clearly distressed. Vagal maneuvers don't work, whats your next step? 15 minutes to the nearest cardiac receiving.

How often are you sent out to skateparks? Used to have these two paramedics hang out for awhile at our local park every day in their truck and were cool as fuck.
Also, have you ever had any body make a move on you while transporting them or somebody the were with?

Do you sometimes wish that the whiny patient could just fuck off and die?

Whiny isn't a problem for me. It's the drug seekers I wish would fuck off.

Are you allowed to run over Black Lives Matter protesters if you need to save a life?

We only have two skate parks in my city and I've never been called to them.

First off, I appreciate the job you guys do, the ambulance ride was probably the one pleasant part of the day I tried to kill myself.

What do you do if you need to get someone who is acutely manic to the hospital?

How can i become a paramedic in the US? im a foreigner btw.

Cardioversion

No. As much as I may want to...

Has a patient attacked you?

now that's what we came for. tell us m8

Not much I can do for that pre hospital. Just make them comfortable.

Become an EMT basic first. Check local technical schools and community colleges.

I just graduated EMR and doing ACP in September, got any tips? In really nervous

Of course they have. No one respects us anymore.

The worst call I've ever been on was an 8 month old that was left in an indoor swing for a long time and hadn't been changed in hours. The family dog (pit bull) ate the lower half of the baby. I had to take a short leave of absence after that call.

Just graduated EMR and doing ACP in September got any tips? I'm really nervous.

I'm not sure about ACP (I'm in the US), but if it's like our EMT-P, study anatomy and physiology well before the class ever starts. It will carry you through class.

Ooo okay yeah I guess it's different in Canada here. It's the lab scenario test to get us certified, it stands for Alberta college of paramedics exam

Ok. Sorry. Don't have any experience with that.

Define symptomatic? A little short of breathe? A little hypotension? How long has it been going on? SVT probably not gonna kill you cardioversion is a book answer I'm gonna give that nigga 6 12 12 of adenosine before I go through snowing a motherfucker and electrocution their heart. 9 year fireman 7 year medical here. Work for a 5 ambulance district that runs 14k calls a year. Never heard or seen SVT cardioversion. Also Not OP.

Are you allowed to arrest someone or ticket someone like the police?

It's okay thanks anyways

Can i speed past an ambulance?

No. I have no authority to do that.

Why do you run the same drunks to me three times a day? Leave them in the bushes where they can observe themselves until sober.

Lol serious question? No we can't

Can you? Yes. Should you? No.

EVERY. GOD. DAMNED. DAY.
If you call for an ambulance, don't whine about it isn't exactly what you need. I go to every length to be accommodating, and some people still find a way to need more.

Because I have a duty to act. You know that.

Drugs.
If they are a danger to themselves or others.

What's the most fucked up shit you ever 10-2ed?

Please be joking. And please don't actually be a medic.

they're usually crazy, drunk or high. sometimes all three!

I am your medical control AMA

I don't know what 10-2 is. Since NIMS came around, all of the departments I've worked for have gotten away from 10 codes.

Just hope no one does it when you need an ambulance.

Restrained and sedated

I had a bitch try to kill her fetus with PCP last night. It didn't work.

Does an ambulence have static or air suspension?

Danger to themselves? like actively trying to hurt themself or us? 5mg Versed IM.

Have never run into the bad side of spike?

Our older trucks have air ride, the newer ones have liquid suspension

depends on how rich the agency or department is.

I got hospitalized for suicide attempt 2 months ago, just now got $1900 ambulance bill. What the fucks with that? Active duty military, shouldn't insurance cover it?

Danger to themselves in what way? They aren't going to be cutting themselves in the back of the truck. Only medics with weak interpersonal skills jump straight to narcs.

VA benefits? I really don't know. Ask the VA

Insurance will decide if it was a medical emergency that required an ambulance. If not, they won't cover it.

No. I do not narc every psych patient. That is crazy. I do talk them down, or at least try. The last time I did, it was for a drug overdose. I don't think I have ever narced a psych patient. Had one lunge at me prior to a transfer after 30 minutes of trying to talk him down from increasing anger. Hospital sedated him.

Would you really not use chemical restraint if the patient presented as crazy and ready to hurt you over anything?

My protocols would allow me to Haldol and Versed someone if needed, but I've always been able to talk them down or just have PD cuff them to the cot and follow me to the ED.

You ever deal with anyone totally fucked out of their mind on psychedelics?

That's how I met my husband.

We don't always get PD on psych calls. Mostly on ones with express violence that caused the scene.

Spike is a different matter. Had a man trying to bash his head open in the middle of the street. He nearly strangled himself later trying to flip over on the stretcher.

yeah.