Who's death impacted you more?

Who's death impacted you more?
Bowie or Prince?

strawpoll.me/11905927

I got into Bowie 2 years before his death during my Christmas break. Was a big fan of his and he was my favorite musician.

The morning after he died I didn't know and a friend informed it. That day fucking sucked.

Lou Reed or Alan Vega t b h

>talented in many genres vs over-sexualised pop

Bowie. Big fan of the venture brothers and the Man who sold of the world album

yeah, bowie was really over-sexualized

Bowie, he was truly one of a kind.

Bowie, I think he had more left to offer. Obviously I wish he'd been able to live a longer life, but I would have been fine never hearing another new Prince album, he has like 50 already and few if any of the last 30 or so were exceptional.

God damn this poll is a landslide...

Bowie was tons more influential, so him. Both sucked though

Well this is a white supremacist website after all

voted Prince for jokes. Rob Ford's death impacted me more than both desu.

Prince. By the time he died, I'd already listened to a few of his albums and considered him a great artist.

I'm sure Bowie's great too, but I honestly haven't listened to a whole lot of his songs. I know, probably blasphemy here but whatever.

Alan Vega was old as hell. It was more of a respect his legacy than cry over his death thing for me.

Holy shit, I never realized that Canadian hero had died, I hope he had enough to eat at home up until the end

Wasted quints, fuck you

Neither, they're both overrated talentless hacks.

you could have killed Brian Wilson with those digits

Oh I've only ever actually been properly affected by one person's death in my whole life and it was an Internet celebrity, not even one of the people I knew who have died

Death just doesn't do it for me, but Alan Vega and Lou Reed were people I respected and enjoy looking back on, Bowie and Prince may as well have already been dead and it wouldn't have bothered me

Nah this is a good music supremacist website

If you want to get into Bowie just remember this.
His 70's stuff was the best. His 80's stuff (except Scary Monsters) was the worst. His 90's and early 00's stuff were ether bad or underrated. His 10's stuff is ether underrated or it hits you in the feels.

My top 5 albums
Hunky Dork
Ziggy Stardust
Diamond Dogs
Low
Scary Monsters

>website
Most of this site listens to complete and utter garbage like Death Grips or Pink Floyd, there's no supremacy here.

Leonard Cohen

Leonard Cohen?

The fuck Sup Forums

Bowie could easily be dismissed cuz Marc Bolen did it.

Prince could be easily dismissed cuz Bo Diddley did it.

Leonard Cohen? Bob Dylan is trash. Only Fiona Apple & John Cale are close, but they suck in comparison.

no one on this board ever gave a shit about prince

OH BOY NOW YOU DID IT

Dylan isn't rash. Sorry for sayoing that.

>His 80s stuff was the worst
Dude, Let's Dance was his best album.

Yeah, with him (and Prince as well, since I still need to go back and listen to the rest of his albums), it's kinda tough to get into because there's so many albums. I never knew where to start.

Leonard Cohen lived a full life and didn't leave an impression that his work wasn't done.

Go to bed mom.

>Dylan is trash
This is exactly why I hate Cohen fags, if they could just keep to their own genre, I could accept Cohen was pretty good but no, you always fucking talk about Dylan and how shit he is which confirms you have no idea what genre Cohen was in.

You should be comparing him to the people he was actually mimicking like Brel or Piaf, etc. In which case, he's not that impressive.

Not sure how true that is but his wife died and he didn't want to live anymore, so you should be happy he died because it's what he wanted. Same with Johnny Cash.

Same with Bowie. Blackstar was good but how many more good albums you expect him to make past age 70?

Just start from the beginning or with Ziggy
here's a list of albums and whether of not there bad.

David Bowie - bad
David Bowie (space oddity) - bad except for the the title track
The Man Who Sold the World - ok
Hunky Dory - good
The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars - good
Aladdin Sane - good
Pin Ups - ok
Diamond Dogs - good
Young Americans - good
Station to Station - good
Low - good
"Heroes" - good
Lodger - ok
Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps) - good
Let's Dance - good but has the depth of a kiddie pool
Tonight - bad
Labyrinth - good but lack of depth
Never Let Me Down - bad
Tin Machine - ok

and that's all iv'e listened to so i can't tell you the rest.

I think he had a couple more good-or-better albums in him. His last several albums were increasingly good in quality because I think he stopped caring about pleasing everyone. I don't think the next one would have been necessarily as good as or better than Blackstar, but he seemed enthusiastic about making new music right until the end. LC only put out You Want It Darker out of principle.

>I think he stopped caring about pleasing everyone
i would too after the 80's

>Bowie was tons more influential

Sup Forums really does know fuck all about Prince. He was one of the most experimental and influentual artists ever, spanning many genres and a founding figure in pop music and culture.

I still voted Bowie because I prefer his music, but c'mon

>it's kinda tough to get into because there's so many albums. I never knew where to start.
I believe I can be of service.

He's a man of MANY genres, so here's a handy guide to his albums and what genre they fall under, start with the one that has your favorite genre.

David Bowie (67) - Baroque, Mod Rock, Novelty
Space Oddity - Folk and Psychedelic
The Man Who Sold the World - Hard Rock & Metal
Hunky Dory - Orchestral Glam Pop
Ziggy Stardust - Glam Rock
Aladdin Sane - Glam Rock, but varies a lot between tracks
Pinups - AVOID LIKE THE FUCKING PLAGUE
Diamond Dogs - Glam Rock and Funk
Young Americans - Soul
Station to Station - Funk
Low - Ambient and Krautrock
Heroes - Ambient and Alt Rock
Lodger - World Music
Scary Monsters - New Wave
Let's Dance - Pop Rock
Tonight - Pop and Reggae
Never Let Me Down - AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE
Black Tie White Noise - Jazz, Hip Hop, Electronic
Buddah of Suburbia - Experimental/Electronic
OUTSIDE - Industrial
Earthling - Drum and Bass
Hours - Soft Rock w/ electronic elements
Heathen - Art Rock
Reality - Art Rock
The Next Day - Soft Rock
Blackstar - Jazz.

Hope this helps.

>David Bowie (space oddity) - bad except for the the title track
...Maaaaan.

>...Maaaaan.
the only songs i like on there are the title track and letter to hermione

>Cygnee Comittee
>Wild Eyed Boy from Freecloud
>Memory of a Free Festival
>bad

MAAAAAAN....

yup

I listened to Ziggy Stardust for the first time 5 days before Bowie died. So Bowie.

to be fair prince's old stuff was the best
but bowie as a whole was more experimental and made better albums

Neither because I don't listen to meme tier old school jangly guitar pop.

>old music sucks amirite guys?

I liked Bowie
I loved Prince

>Cygnet Committee
>bad
wew

Prince hit me harder. Being from the twin cities I just sort of figured he would always be around and I'd catch his next show. Twice I passed on seeing him live and then April 21st swing in and he's dead. Bowie was almost expected to go soon, Prince came out of nowhere.

Prince covered "Heroes" on one of his last concerts before dying.

Pretty equal really as I didn't give a fiddlers fuck about either of them.

I don't think people expected Bowies death unless there were rumours I missed. Prince was obviously the younger one though.

Prince, easy.

Both were a surprise that no one expected. The most shocking thing about Prince dying is he overdosed and not a single person ever knew he even did drugs. How the hell does someone that famous keep a opiate addiction a secret?

Tight lipped PR I guess. Who knew MJ, Heath Ledger or (saddest of all imo) Philip Seymour Hoffman were taking dangerous cocktails of drugs either?

I don't know either of them

Why would it impact me

why was he so shit in later years

>christina grimmie

Hours was underrated

Cohen was lounge music

so he's basically a condenser of genres

i actually saw that nigger at a gas station south of Mille Lacs. He was filling up a purple motorcycle i kid you not

the devil came and collected

because you think they're great artists who really care about the art, and then you find out they're just on drugs the whole time

Yes!

Both were sad, but Bowie's album and that music video really hit the feels

David Bowie's because my dad had the Next Day in his car for two months. He thought it was Black Star. I think it's the first Bowie album he ever owned.

By the way, my dad once asked me if the Pink Floyd song Wish You Were Here is on the Dark Side of the Moon.

Honestly this, and I'm a Bowie fan

drugs are almost a necessity for touring artists 2bh

johnny cash and elvis famously disliked amphetamines but were pretty much forced to take them to maintain countless energetic shows. pretty sad really

No, but it is good and anyone who disagrees hates fun

>Man Who Sold the World and Lodger
>ok
Do not listen to this man

well that's what happens when you try to make money in this game. Artists should be aiming to make this their life profession

i saw you on a thread earlier. You're that guy here who keeps talking about "fun" right?

Bowie was still coming out with great albums.
Prince hasn't made anything worthwhile since the 80's.

>Black Star
>The Next Day

>great albums

Blackstar was top

PRAISE KEK

yes

>complete and utter garbage like Death Grips
Woah there, let's not say things we'll regret.

As much as I respect Bowie and loved Blackstar. I've listened to prince as long as I can remember so I have to go with bowie.

Where's the Lou Reed option?

genuinely kekd
and yeah bowie for sure
is this even a contest?

This is the first thread I've posted in in at least a month so probably not

blackstar part II when lads?

user there's something you need to know...

KEK SPEAKS THROUGH US ALL

Hey kid, looks like you took a turn into a wrong neighbourhood there, why don't you just back the fuck up.

Bowie's theatrical phase is head and shoulders above Prince's funk rock phase.

Quints confirm.

Nu-males leave NOW.

Fuck, guess the ADL was right about Pepe this whole time

add a neither option faggot

Bowie

Greg Lake & Keith Emerson effected me more.

>Bowie or Prince?
Silly question, they both left holes in the world hard to repair or fill.
Both fit into Greil Marcus' broad definition of punk, as bowie was being downright weird years before most labels were invented for his antics and prince was a short, black, teddy boy who faced being pelted off stage with paper beer cups by Springsteen fans who were more unexaminedly racist than anyone here.
They were people who gave the lie to anyone's "the industry is fixed you have to suck dick to get ahead" groans. Sure sucking dick helps, but being a cut above and having creativity dripping off you allows you to either choose the dicks or refrain entirely.

I found out on Sup Forums of all places. I remember everyone was in denial, trying to say that his social media accounts were hacked to say that

>springsteen
>racist

I remember back in 1992, Bruce Springsteen came into the Barnes & Noble I used to work at and asked if we carried any copies of "Mein Kampf". It turned out we only had one copy left in stock, so he purchased it.

Nearly on his way out, there was this little boy who looked no older than 12 years old who began to cry. When Springsteen walked up to him and asked what was wrong the little boy replied that he had been saving up all the money he earned from his lemonade stand and was hoping to buy that copy of "Mein Kampf".

Springsteen smiled at the little boy, rustled his hair and handed the copy of "Mein Kampf" he'd just bought down to him. As the little boy grinned from cheek to cheek and wiped away the tears he exclaimed with joy "Thank you so so much Mr. Springsteen, this was the nicest thing anyone's done for me ever! Heil Hitler, Mr. Springsteen!"

Before exiting the revolving glass doors, Springsteen turned back, nodded at the little boy and said "Heil Hitler to you too, little buddy, Heil Hitler...."

Then he was gone.

It's moments like that that really warm my heart and make me remember that there is such things as selflessness and unconditional kindness still left in this world.

Holy shit is this actually real? It doesnt seem like it (Why would a little kid know about Mein Kampf?) but I wouldnt be surprised. Anyone have a source?

I liked Prince.
I loved Bowie.

5/10