Recommend a good scotch. I'm willing to pay up to $200. Help me out, faggots

Recommend a good scotch. I'm willing to pay up to $200. Help me out, faggots

If it's your first time, I recommend a Highland malt, it's probably the most suitable for your palette, maybe Old Pultney or Highland Park. I'd recommend a 30yo Glenfarclas personally, it's Speyside, but it's not too peaty, probably the best whisky I've had

>lagavulin 16
>tallisker (distiller edition)
>mcallan (20yo)
>hibiki
That's about it

On the rocks or no?

Passport

I would go for two bottles of glenmorangie, or a sherry cask whisky like glendronach

Never on the rocks. If Glenfarclas don't add water, but with the others if it's your first time, a teardrop of room temperature water is sometimes beneficial

Idk I wouldn't shell out that much especially if you're new to drinking. You could buy 4 bottles of Johnny Walker DBL and have a good weekend.

>watering your scotch down
>cooling it when they're meant to be palm warmed

Bruh.

This guy gets it, but IMHO your money is best spent buying 3-4 bottles.

I've had garbage to $2500 a bottle stuff. I prefer to spend the money on something sustainable rather than flushing money down the toilet unless you have money to burn.

Lighter
Glenlivit 18
Oban 15
Abalour 12 or 16
McCallan 12 (18 if you really want to spend $200)

Peaty
Lagulavin 16
Talisker 10
JW Plat (Blue if you want to spend $140)
Laphroig 12

>Old Pulteney
>Highland Park

Neither of those are Highland whiskies.

Best recommendation is to go to a good Scotch bar, try different stuff, or go to a knowledgeable retailer who will be able to point you to the right thing.

You're the only person who can determine what you will enjoy.

Agreed, but in the end drink it how you like it.

Sometimes a little ice can mellow out something really peaty like lagulavin or laphroig and sweeten it up a bit if that's what you're into.

I'm not going to tip the fedora on the single cube bullshit, but if someone gifts you a bottle that's a bit stronger than you like, dump what ever ice you have in the freezer in it to mellow it out.

>scotch

Lol

Come to scotland and get some real whiskey

>drink it how you like it
Everyone's so afraid to do this, and I don't know why. Like it with ice? Drink it with ice. Easy. Taste is an individual thing.

Blasphemy

In case you're not trolling, It's spelled 'whisky'.

this

Laphroiag Cairdeas

>tfw have only had bourbon (Bulleit)

I really need to get off my ass and start trying different shit

If you want it cold (for whatever reason) keep it in the fridge.

A splash of water is almost always a good thing.

I currently have
Glenmorangie Port Cask 12
Laphroaig 10
Lagavulin 16

I started off drinking Macallan 12 and branched out from there.
I remember the days when I could but Macallan 25 for around $110.

Never had scotch, what is a good one to try for a poor fag? 50-100 dollars max..?

In case you're not trolling, use google.

It's all really similar, Scotch fags are just as pretentious as winos.

Scotland whisky

Ireland whiskey

Macallan or Talisker maybe

Laphroaig Quarter Cask

An Islay for a new scotch drinker? Really?

I drink Johnny Walker Red for about $25 a bottle. It's fine, don't let these guys try to tell you that you need to spend $200.

This should be just at or under the $100 mark.

This user knows what he's talking about. I'd add Dalwhinnie 15 to the lighter list and Ardbeg 10 to the peaty list.

Yeah. A blended scotch ike JW might be a better option than a single malt.

Alright, thanks.

What is the difference in the price points of scotch? Is it mostly brand?

Do it how you like.

If you can afford to spend $2200 on a Macallen 25 and like it with a cube so be it. If you like drinking JW red straight up fuck it.

A lot of things go into it -- age, distillery location, blended vs single malt, and yes brand recognition is a big factor as well.

What's the best Jap whisky?

>Scotland: Whishkay

>Ireland: wiskee

I wouldn't start with red. JW black is inexpensive enough and worth it.

blend vs single malt
brand
what is was aged in (oak, sherry cask)
and ultimately your personal preference in taste

Thank you, sirs

And lets not forget demand. When you are aging single malt for 12-18 years and demand goes up like it has been, the price will skyrocket.

10 years ago I used to get Glenfiddich 18 for the price of what 15 is now. Thank god the 15 is so good though.

Suntory Yamazaki is usually ranked pretty high.

>>.697532095

Worth mentioning that just because its a blend doesn't make it bad in any way. In fact it can be easier to drink that a lot of higher prices single malts.

If you plan on drinking it often buy what you enjoy without breaking the bank.

I probably have about 8-10 different types of scotch in the cabinet that I like ($50-$250) but when I'm on a bender JW black is my go to.

Does everyone here drink it neat, on ice, or mixed with something?

I love Godfathers: 2 oz scotch, 1 oz amaretto in a low ball glass with ice.

Mcallan rare sherry cask is good too

Glenfarclas 105 is beautiful

>not having whisky stones
Hibiki and other jap single malts are fucking really nice m8

Tobermory is good too

Glenfiddich 18 is a killer for the price.

Get out.

Oban is amazing. Simple, detectable flavors for early scotch drinkers; but amazing even after you know what you're doing.

Also, even after 20 years of loving complex and very expensive scotches Chivas is still so very drinkable.

>mixing single malt scotch

Do you like this to wash the taste of cock out of your mouth sweetheart?

I wish it was less expensive but worth every penny. One of my favorites. Smoother with way better flavors than most stuff 2-3 times the price. I tend to go through the Oban quicker than most everything else.

Best I can ever find it is at Costco. $48 or something like that.

MMmmm, I haven't had Oban in years. Forgot all about it tbh. Already have 4 or 5 bottles of scotch at home, but may have to add a little Oban to my liquor cabinet. THanks for the reminder user!

Aberfeldy 21yr is without a doubt the nicest whisky I have ever tasted! I've only had 2 glasses of it in my life, and at £100 a bottle, I'm unlikely to buy it myself.

The whisky that surprised me the most was Yoichi 10yr. It was the first ever Japanese whisky I tried and it's fucking beautiful! But at £70 a bottle, I'm unlikely to buy it myself

Good advice for a new drinker. Edradour might be too pricey but it has similar flavour profiles to the Oban.

Last time I saw that Aberfeldy it was in the $200 range. I had a bottle a while ago someone got me. It was pretty damn good. Not sure I'd buy again but pretty damn good.

talisker storm 12yo, about £30 a bottle but I get it for fuck all, benefits of having a parent in the industry and being scottish

it's a good drinker, not something you'd put away for special occasions

>Chivas
Also, Chivas Regal is the whisky the Priest drinks in the Exorcist movie. So you can "small talk" and tell someone as you hand them the glass.

I always have a bottle of Isle of Jura Origin (10yr) on the go and at £25 it's not too expensive.

There's also Isle of Jura Diurachs' Own which is a 16yr of the same whisky. It's very nice, but I don't think the extra price is worth it when Origin is so good.

If you like your whisky peaty (which I don't), they also do Superstition, which isn't a single malt, but I've been told it's very good.

chivas ain't great, the only passable bottle I had was a 21 year old royal salut (came in a blue felt bag) that came home after a business trip to korea

Doesn't get better than this

Sure it wasn't Crown?

100%, again relative in the industry who works for chivas brothers

crowns purple bag

Was a joke. Easy boys.

All my relatives work for Heinz. I grew up on fucking beans and soup, and I can't stand that shit now.

I'm doing life wrong.

jokes on you i fucking love heinz beans

Get a job there. They bring that shit home in boxes.

Scotch smells like Parmesan cheese and tastes
like dirty feet.

Have a delicious Canadian Rye instead.
Crown Royal or Gibson's 12 yr old.
Reasonably priced, superior whiskey taste.
One of the Crown Royals won the biggest prize in whiskey last year. First time EVER for a Rye Whiskey. Google that shit, but you will be on the net a good while trying to find a bottle.

:(

i can take the japs mastering our craft but if you're trying to tell me you retarded canadians can do anything but shovel snow and apologise for shit i'm done

Glenmorangie 18 year old... smooth golden nectar if the gods

Not fuckn kidding. Reigning Champion Whiskey comes from Gimli Manitoba

would a Canadian lie eh?

Pretty sure you can get a fifth of crown for about $7. Tastes great if you're used to drinking mouthwash to get drunk.

Deanston 12

One of many good choices

Price should never be too high for by the bottle. $200 would be overkill for a good scotch. I would call anything over $100 overpriced and probably "designer". I've sold and selected scotch for about 10 years now. The key thing I noticed is people are amazed if something is "only" $60. One month we did an experiment, listed decent scotch at astronomical prices, guess what? Huge demand, people signed a waiting list for $600 bottles. We then reached out and let them know it was actually only $70 a bottle and guess what? Half of the people canceled their order.

It's sad, it's pathetic.

Good scotch is not expensive, it's just good.

>jim murray
>english faggot

ok done

Also, old particular 17 is one of my biggest matches, typically high sales among the over 30 crowd, definitely a good one at roughly $100

Yeah well I'm not talking about regular Crown, it was an 18 yr old variety released last year. Night after news of the win broke on TV everybody stormed liquor stores and snatched it all up to sell on the net at 20 times the price they paid

I always water the outside of a glass and then put it in the freezer due to a lack of whiskey rocks.

Doesn't water it down but cools it down really good!

you're pandering to a bearded hipster faggot who 'ditched' london to write about shit he doesn't know shit about and is now cashing in on the publicity he got from last years announcement that the japs beat the scots at their own game

you're metaphorically sucking the kotaku equivalent of the whisky worlds dick

Glen Garioach '94
pic related

Furthermore, let's be clear on scotch drinking;

Tulip glass
Small(small) amount of distilled water depending on the bottle
Never ice, ever

Otherwise if not drinking for taste (such as to get drunk);

Do whatever you want

I've got 24 bottles in the stock, and I've tried about 60 overall.

Don't let anyone turn you into some kind of foppish dandy, that selects based on price/prestige rather than what YOU like.

My personal favorites are all over the map.

Balvanie 14 Rum Cask
Aberlour 10
The Dalmore
Yamazaki 18 (bought in Tokyo, 2012)
Cedar Ridge Sherry Cask
Laphroaig 10 (although they're all good)
Oban
Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or

Keep trying stuff until you find a sweet spot, and then alternate buying a bottle of your favorite, and then something new. Life is too short not to try stuff. Lately I've been trying Bourbons, Rye stuff, and some Sake/Shochu.

IM GOING TO SAY ANYONE THAT RECOMMENDED ANYTHING NOT FUCKING MADE IN SCOTLAND IS A COMPLETE NECKBEARD DOUCHEBAG. ITS FUCKING SCOTCH YOU PIECES OF SHIT FUCKTARDS.

Op, there are a lot of good suggestions in this thread but ultimately you are not providing enough information. Scotch isn't one size fits all. It's like asking what painting you should buy.
Why do you want the suggestion and why are you looking for a pricier bottle? Is this a gift? Is this your first scotch to celebrate turning 21 or something?
Are you a long time scotch drinker? What scotches and other whiskies have you had and liked/disliked?

Tulip
Distilled Water
Never ice, ever

>Tips fedora before quietly walking to the bathroom to wipe almost accidentally fecal matter from anus because of last quiet flatulence that may or may not have disturbed the people around me that I was trying to impress

This nigga likes his peaty whisky.

You honestly need to make sure people like it before you start recommending Aberlour and Laphroaig and the rest.

I'd hate the first whisky someone tries to be Talisker and never touch it again because "whisky taste like TCP."

The edge on this is too much, where are you from? Must be a dark place, full of mystery. Nope! It's just typical trash being super edgy because instead of knowing and doing things proper he hops on the computer, cracks his knuckles and slowly releases his rage brought forth by always being the self proclaimed genius. Lurk more you fucking pathetic loser.

There are only 2 or 3 in that list that might be considered peaty.

I agree someone's first time around they probably shouldn't try something that tastes like they are sucking on burnt tree bark, but most of what was suggested were pretty mild.

Here it is folks, edge lord lurking around

Someone recommended this, probably could afford better on that budget - or just buy a few bottles

Drink it how you enjoy it faggot.

Not even implying you're the same guy. If you were you'd know better SUMMERFAG

I just remember the first time I tried Laphroaig and I honestly couldn't finish it.

I bought a bottle of Aberlour cos I'd read that it's one of (if not the) only whisky that's not Chill Filtered.

But you're right. I shouldn't add my own tastes to a whisky thread. but peated whisky is honestly not my thing.

Especially the balvenie, definitely not peaty

Corona

I like my jack daniels honey chilled.

Whatever gets you wrecked brother.

I do like a good peaty scotch sometimes, but I do ice it down a bit. Something about sipping it right when you drop the ice into it to get a bit of that sting, but after a few drinks when the ice has a chance it tends to sweeten up a bit.

I guess it really depends on the kind of mood you're in. If you're up for something harsh hit the peat straight up, but if you want a little sting and enjoy for a while throw a little ice in it.

Pretty sure the original post mentioned however you want, I think you're edginess is showing even more now. Want to do first tasting right? That is the way. Want to just drink? Yeah.. Drink how you want. You are the embodiment of faggotry, just opening you're edgy mouth like the typical "I know everything" summerfag as you call it. Want to do something right? Want to actually learn something and experience it? No.. You don't, you are a keyboard warrior, a google expert, an inexperienced loser who thinks doing things a certain way to experience it fully is somehow bad!? This is the definition of a complete edgy loser, who literally is offended by tradition and experience because you have none, and will never; simply because you choose to do things "however you want". Immaturity is strong with you, you are too far beyond to even comprehend how much of a complete waste you are. I hope one day you can actually commit to learning a thing, instead of pretending to know anything you can search online.