Johnny Rotten

Is he an edgelord washed up rockstar or an iconic punk figure? How big exactly is his legacy?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rSycSBYHitc
youtube.com/watch?v=6hJQR1-3oEo
youtube.com/watch?v=IwsVWZ-c8Eo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Is he an edgelord washed up rockstar or an iconic punk figure?

implying you can't be both

I don't really believe iconic musicians can become washed up to a large extent

>How big exactly is his legacy?

He was in the fucking Sex Pistols. Ask yourself, how big is his legacy?

I duno, I know that they released one well known album but are they iconic?

His anger plus The Ramones gave us punk as we know it.

He's an iconic punk figure, but a total asshole.

The Sex Pistols were a good portion of punk aesthetic came from, you dummy

I dunno he seems to have gotten less antisocial with age. compare his 1980 and 1997 interviews with Tom Snyder.

Jim Morrison, Elvis Presley, Amy Winehouse, Marvin Gaye. All undeniably iconic, and fit the bill of 'washed up' at the end of their careers/lives.

Of course he's iconic, at least his 70s self is. He's definitely mellowed a lot over the years but anyone who knows anything knows that his best music was with PiL in the 80s

brian wilson
paul mcartney
mick jagger
elton john

this is common sense you faggot

and unlike them, PiL still puts out pretty good albums that are well recieved

Strongly disagree any of them are washed up or were washed up. All of those you listed could still sell out stadiums.

Where does one start with PiL?

youtube.com/watch?v=rSycSBYHitc

Go with First Issue or Metal Box.

Robbie Rotten is better

Johnny Rotten and the Sex Pistols were the start of Punk as a hollow commercial fashion statement rather than a political one.

werent all their hits singles about political issues?

god save the queen
anarchy in the uk

>The Ramones
>The
kys yourself

The Ramones were an American punk rock band that formed in the New York City neighborhood of Forest Hills, Queens, in 1974. They are often cited as the first band to define the punk-rock sound.[1][2]

In 2002, the Ramones were ranked the second-greatest band of all time by Spin magazine, trailing only the Beatles.[10]

still doesn't change the fact that they are the Ramones, not "The Ramones"

He made Metal Box

EVERYONE WATCH THIS VIDEO

its about all the sex pistols and old london in general.one of the coolest things I have seen on youtube

youtube.com/watch?v=6hJQR1-3oEo

Part of what you have to realise is that at this point there's an obvious distinction between John Lydon and Johnny Rotten. Rotten seems more like a character that John slips into when he needs to more than anything.

Does he have aspergers?

Probably not

Kinda like the Metallica etc?

youtube.com/watch?v=IwsVWZ-c8Eo

I can't believe they even played after this fucking bullshit introduction.

I feel like he was cool back in his time but anarchism is something completely comletely different now and his ideas don't really make sense in the modern world

>Getting rid of the albatross

What did he mean by this?

poseurs

My gripe with the whole punk movement was the supposed hate that band members had towards the establishment. Many of them were just trying to cash in on a growing trend. Not to mention that punk began turning music back to it's infancy.

Back into*

>kys yourself
kys

kyss yourself

He's calmed down a bit desu

He's cool

the sex pistols were a boy band selling an image of anarchy to a naive consumer base who in turn imitated their pseudo-rebellion contributing to the punk movement going from a legitimate working class uprising to nothing more than a fashion trend accompanied by power chords

He will be remembered for the cultural impact of the Sex Pistols and the musical impact of Public Image Ltd. (His far superior contribution imo) The first three or four PiL records in particular

His vocal performances on Never Mind The Bollocks remain really entertaining to this day though

>calling him anything but John Lydon
Plebs detected, his legacy is PiL, not the Shit Pistols

This desu. Those early PiL records are so many levels better than Never Mind the Bollocks, and that's hardly a bad album.

I'll give him that, but remember that Sid didn't actually know how to play bass for the lost of his career and that nearly all punk bands played on out of tune instruments.

The Sex Pistols will always be 1000x more influential than PiL. No matter the quality of the music.

Sid didn't contribute to the band's only album, he's the one who released all that garbage afterward trying to cash in on the name, people need to stop talking about that useless piece of shit who had nothing to do with musical punk and only fashion punk

>he still thinks Punk was a working class uprising
Mate, that's a load of bollocks spun to sell it. Sure, a lot of later Punk stuff definitely was, but most of the original Punk crop were middle class art students.

Nice

this

Not for music fans, what do you see posted all the time on this board, punk or post-punk

Sex Pistols = Sup Forums
PiL = Sup Forums

Between 1978 and 1981 Lydon literally shit gold. PiL would go into the studio with nothing written or prepared and just throw shit at the wall and it all stuck so hard. No band has ever been as effortlessly good as early PiL.

After 1981 (when Levene left) Lydon decided he wanted to be a rock star and has put out nothing but garbage ever since.

Sex Pistols were shit, though.

>Sup Forums has passed its harsh noise/IDM rym psued phase and is now in its punk phase
wew lads, punk is fucking garbage

musicians are music fans the the sex pistols have been much more musically influential than PiL. you are objectively wrong

This, although PiL's 80's new wave output is also pretty good. I don't think they ever put out a shit album.

I totally get what you're saying but just from that band existing, you got an infinite number of bands forming & making music that's directly and indirectly inspired by them.

I feel there'll be way more Sup Forums bands that would cite the music Lydon made in the Sex Pistols as a more important influence to them than anything he did after.

Metal Box requires some patience at the beggining tho'
I would suggest Flowers of Romance

Well I don't necessarily think PiL is the most influential post-punk band, I think post-punk has been much more influential than punk...since those who are influenced by punk are really just influenced by 60's garage which is more in line with post-punk a lot of the time

Post-punk and punk both existed in the 60's, people who claim Sex Pistols as a musical influence and not a cultural one are bands that have no interest in listening to music that mattered

More specifically, the spirit of Lydon is more present in PiL than Sex Pistols, as PiL was the most punk thing he ever did

How's not knowing anything about the history of punk going?

This board doesn't know anything about punk rock. Don't worry.

Yeah I've been listening to Metal box and its a bit Beefheart tier of difficulty getting into. I love the opening bass

any punk figure unless they died would become "washed up" eventually.

For me it clicked when I was listening it in the bus, while I saw people bashing one over each other for a seat.
It's pretty "nihilistic", if that's the word

do we talk about this?

His transition from Johnny Rotten (Sex Pistols) to John Lydon (Public Image Ltd.) is amazing.

>get paid a shitload of money to say you like a butter that you actually like
>use said money to finance a new album by your band
Am I the only one who never saw anything wrong with this?

it's not very punk which I think annoyed people. but it had been 30 years since the sex pistols so I agree with you

CUNTry LIFE BUTTER

>punk
>music
pick one idiot

i see that more as snyder mellowing than john tbqh

this

>PiL
>good
topkek

nah Bonnie Rotten

I always confuse him with Robbie rotten

The Sex Pistols were unbelievably good. For about 18 months in the late 70s, Johnny Rotten was the man

But he's an utter fucking, insufferable idiot who has been an irrelevance for the past 40 years. He was frontman of the Pistols. His legacy, for that fact alone, is indisputable. But boy, did he peak early.

Elvis was mega washed up. Fat, drug addicted and brain addled.

i think he was pretty cute desu

His stuff in Public Image Limited was good. Forget the Sex Pistols.