Tfw failing my music appreciation class

>tfw failing my music appreciation class
>tfw prof kept calling you a "contrarian faggot"
>tfw he always made fun of your weekly top 10 lists for having obscure albums on them
>tfw he kept telling you scaruffi and Fantano aren't real critics
>tfw he kept implying you were a racist for not listening to a lot of rap and r&b music
>tfw he kept calling you a tryhard for wanting to listen to more classical and jazz music
>tfw he always brought up the 6/10s you gave to popular albums as negative examples for the rest of the class on how to rate albums

Did anyone else take music appreciation classes?

I've taken 2 art education classes, they were good times. Profs were laid back and let me write about whatever I want.

No, but now I'm definitely not lol

>Scaruffi
>Fantano
>real critics

wait, did you take music appreciation class in this shit hole?
btw, nice digits

I did when I was 18, which was 9 years ago now... it was a really fun, easy A. I don't know what kind of music appreciation class you're taking, though... 70% of my class was on "classical" music, 20% was on blues and jazz, 10% was on "pop" music. I was psyched that she spent 5 minutes on glam rock and Bowie, 5 on the Sex Pistols, and threw in a Howlin' Wolf mention in the blues part. I didn't bother criticizing the Sex Pistols and arguing for other punk bands, I was just content she even bothered mentioning punk in the same class that was dedicated to baroque song structures and Bach.

Now that I think back on it, the one genuine criticism I have of the class is that I don't remember any time spent on bebop, which is a pretty glaring omission.

I would've felt retarded bringing up music critics.
Literally the only music critic who has any place in academia is Lester Bangs, and that's simply because he's considered a contemporary of Truman Capote and Hunter S. Thompson in the New Journalism literary movement.

>STEM
>science, technology, engineering, music

Did you actually attend college? Most universities require a few classes in English or art even if you're a stem major.

This - engineering universities like MIT and Harvey Mudd actually have entire arts/humanities schools dedicated solely to providing those classes to engineering students

I took music appreciation last semester. Each of us had to do a music related performance and presentation. I initially though about doing a presentation on how the advent of electronic and digital media had changed music completely and then for my performance sample sounds from he class and make a song out of it. But then I just caved in and went the acoustic guitar with vocals route and slated mad pissy as a result of it.

Slayed* pussy*

God damn it

Damn it user you should have done the piece built from class samples. Would've been cool as fuck, plus if u sampled a specific qt heavily that woulda been a prime chance 2 flatter tha bitch & busta move ya gay nigga.

BTFO

>Harvey Mudd
:')
I wasted a lot of money on that place.

>music appreciation classes
Do these actually exist or is this just Sup Forums's version of penis inspection day?

Yeah man I still kind of regret selling out like that but I honestly felt like that presentation would have flown over everybody's heads. That being said if you ever get a chance to be an acoustic douche in your class I highly recommend it because of the reaction you get from the grills. At the price of selling your soul though.

I took one, it was an easy throwaway class. Basically just show up and do the assignments and you get an A. My professor was cool. It was all about classical music. That was in my SJW phase and I wrote in an essay about how I was disappointed that the curriculum only included western music and not African or east asian music. I feel like kind of a dumbass for that but whatever

Well that's not a bad point to make. They could have examined gamelans or drum circles. Though I'm sure there was no racist intent.

You could have also sampled already primarily sampled tracks and made new tracks out of them in relation to how the internet has caused the relevance of artists to come and go in the space of months and consistent access to new music means even albums from a couple years ago are quickly forgotten.

Nothing dumbass about that user. Eastern/african approaches to music come from entirely different cultures an purposes. To only focus on western approach to melody and our class-system influenced tiers of music is pretty short sighted.

I agree, it's just the way i approached it at the time was annoying and pretentious

>annoying and pretentious
Pretty forgivable. Sometimes I have trouble not being annoying and pretentious about stuff I care about. I would rather be a bit autistic than one of those people who are too defensive to ever talk about shit that interests them.
>SJW phase
My guess is that your issue was actually that you were a self-righteous cunt about the whole thing. That's different and less forgivable than pretentious.

Yeah but you have to wonder how much those artists mattered in the grand scheme of things anyway. Nowadays pretty much anybody can become a musician and their compositions aren't exactly ambitious so it makes sense that time filters out the weak stuff.

I'm not sure that good, relevant, and will-stand-the-test-of-time are the same things. Not to meme too hard, but something like vaporwave is probably culturally relevant in the grand scheme of things, but it's definitely not good and definitely will not stand the test of time.

>music appreciation class
>2016

>appreciating music
>2016