When does the Sopranos become good?

It seems like the general consensus on here is that the Sopranos is one of, if not the best show ever made. I am almost done with the first season and I am bored to tears.

Is the Sopranos just a meme because people like guns and murders? Or does the writing actually become good at some point?

Season 6B

Are you serious? I'm not waiting that long, I'm just going to stop.

are you a fucking kid or something?

heh heh

soft numale pls go & take your daily estrogen pill

>When does the Sopranos become good?

Prologue

OP, I felt the same way you do now all through season 1 and especially 2, and then season 3 blew me away.

I read someone not liking Sopranos because of the beat down Tony gave that one guy in the first episode (you know the one) broke his suspension of disbelief. Valid compliant, or autism?

OP, I can actually remember the first time I watched the show and not getting why it was so praised till midway through season two.

But the moment I finally understood why it was art was during the moonlight mile sequence in season six.

I've marathoned the entire series at least seven times now. It really is the type of show that builds on repeated viewings.

Tony's dreams were some of the best parts of the show

Im right there with you OP. I tried to also and had a hard time getting through the first season. I gave up. I was really shocked I couldn't get into because it is so praised here. I am not saying it's bad it just wasn't for me.

Season 1 is fantastic though, and while it does get better you should just stop now if you aren't enjoying it.

keep going op it's 10/10 best drama series

Season 3 is when the show really becomes GOAT and then it is clear sailing ahead. Not that S2 is bad at all. S1 is really the worst season.

I dunno, Season 3 was a mixed bag. They salvaged what they could, but given when you know who died, it really fucked up the story they had laid out that season.

The Sopranos has its comfy moments. But by season 4 it becomes predictably formulaic.

The final season is a joke.

All in all, its shit. Wish I had my wasted time back.

Mixed bag? After you-know-who's death, the show cold finally begin tackling Tony's real everyday problems that he was the sole cause of. It also has Ralphie and the episode with Tracy, it has Bacala Sr. and Mustang Sally, it has the Employee of the Month, Jackie Aprile Jr. being a dumbshit, more Johnny Sac, everything about S3 is fucking great.

Would you really prefer a courtroom drama where Livia testifies against Tony and the show becomes Law and Order?

>S1 is really the worst season
wut

do you just really hate Livia?

Valid. Episode 1 was actually supposed to be a movie so some things are off in it.

I'm not saying it's bad, it's just not as good as the other seasons. They hadn't gotten the look of the show down with regards to camera setups and characterization was not fleshed out yet.

I liked S6 much more than S5. I got really fed up with 5 halfway through and had to stop for a month. S6 felt like it flowed a lot better for me.

And maybe I'm a pleb for it, but I got a kick out of Junior being the mental facility mob boss.

This. Season 1 was too focused on mafia antics, too plot-driven, too Goodfellas-esque. The later seasons are darker, more meandering and unconventionally structured, better directed and the actors settle into their role.

Thanks, I'll hold out for season 3. And thanks for not using spoilers, that is rare decorum for this shithole. I'm going to leave and never come back to this thread before I get spoiled.

The thing is that the show NEEDED to have a season 1 and 2 in order to build the world and characters. When it finally has that down, it can really start to be imaginative and innovating and that's when the show comes into its own.

I didn't respect the Sopranos until months after finishing it. Wasn't even in my top 10 until idk just kept popping up in my head.
Now it's probably 2nd only after Seinfeld

That's how I was with Madmen. I watched it and enjoyed it, but then every once in a while I'd just think about how fucking awesome something was. When you can still chew on the meat of a show months or years after you watch it you know its fucking quality. I just watched it again and there's so much more shit you see when you watch it over again. Based Weiner has given us a decade of kino straight.

>Vito getting whacked because he's a fag
>Meadow's black boyfriend
>that fucking grin of vindication when Meadows bike gets stolen by niggers.

there were some very good episodes

>Tony B getting shotguned
>Adriana getting shot
>Christopher getting suffocated
>Pussy getting whacked on the boat.

there were some very sad episodes

what was unbelievable about it, the fact that he and Chris beat him up in front of a bunch of bystanders?

the sopranos is the most overrated shit in history of overrated shit. especially when it was airing people bought merch by the truckload and couldn't stop talking about this fucking glorified soap opera about the mafia starring a fat nasal voiced asshole and his horribly boring family that screams all the time

I had to get to season 3 before it clicked. And after that it just keeps clicking. At some point you'll rewatch any episode, completely enthralled, quoting characters, and subconsciously lamenting the loss of James.

Bro fuck that shit, you should watch Flash or Agents of SHIELD

to me, first season was meh
but when big pussy has his conflict with tony i was hooked

I want to rewatch it but at the same time I can't be bothered.

>not loving College
>not realizing that the montage in S02E01 is the best thing ever
Pleb.