/prod/ - Music Production General

/prod/ general thread
spaghetti edition

Remember to use:
>clyp.it for WiPs
>soundcloud for completed tracks and getting called a fudge packer for not going to the designated soundcloud threads

Stuff:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff:
pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q

/prod/ Wiki (looking for contributors!)
mu-sic-production.wikia.com/wiki/Sup Forumssic_Production_Wiki

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/kyjfziww
clyp.it/m4dnkque
clyp.it/4tor0ab5
clyp.it/4r51h050
clyp.it/qbk5qmvq
clyp.it/rqedtpwh
clyp.it/o23gulia
soundcloud.com/annedrank/the-real-nature-of-essence-is-understanding-experiences-within
clyp.it/ryvv5xx2
discord.gg/kUYyW
clyp.it/yy3k02nr
clyp.it/imxo1wiz
soundcloud.com/cecaelia/max-vangeli-last-night-changed-it-all-cecaelia-remix/s-Og7M9
youtube.com/watch?v=nWnUuosQwZY
clyp.it/x2twjkyo
clyp.it/h4u4fo1b
clyp.it/dvhj0i5r
clyp.it/zhp5iy2h
clyp.it/dvhj0i5r?token=74490d763144dcf570bf440e713ca417
clyp.it/2kh12v5a
clyp.it/dm0nycr4
clyp.it/2bs1piik
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

can I get some feedback on this song I'm working on?

clyp.it/kyjfziww

Is Max/MSP worth learning?

I've been listening to a lot of Autechre lately and I know they use it. I normally stick with Logic and I've been trying to use grain delay feedback and pitch shifting to come up with interesting noises I can cut up and turn into beats but it hasn't been going well. I would probably just be using it to get weird glitch-sounding percussion and then I figured I would just export it to Logic and put the rest over it. Would I get some good use out of it or do I just need more practice with Logic?

sounds like you really were not trying at all

but it does sound okay, the "I don't really give a fuck if my voice sounds gay" vocals actually help you out

love the vocals m8
could be #1 hit

Not sure this is the right place to ask but I just got an EWI and it seems that I'll need a USB mixer to play it through the amp properly. Does it really matter which one I get? What features should I look out for and how much should I spend? I'm using it to improvise sections of Ableton Live sets.

Is there some nice, fairly cheap hardware synthesizer with unison?

are you calling me gay or something

Yes, expect it to suck though

I am not calling you gay, your voice just sounded kinda gay on that track, I mean that in a good way. Not unlike how Lou Reed's voice sounded gay on TVU&N and made the whole thing sound better; but he actually is gay so it's a bit different

Oh. Well as long as I'm not gay.
Here's a sequel I made; our name is Grandma's House btw

clyp.it/m4dnkque

you are gay

clyp.it/4tor0ab5 I'd like some feedback on this

this is the first time i've ever made a long-form track, and i wanted some feedback on how it was going
my goal for this track was to almost always be moving and being in transition, and not staying in any particular place for too long
kinda ae inspired but idk

clyp.it/4r51h050

any /prod/ucers have experience with the roland r5? i'm pretty much looking for an 808/909 surrogate

Awesome song. Great beat. Sounds thick. Solid. Tight. Keep us all posted on your continued progress with any new progress tunes or clips.

Just get a TR-8
No headaches with shitty pads, and it's much more fun to edit 808/909 sounds on the fly than it is to press pads that trigger samples.

r8 hate or masturbate

clyp.it/qbk5qmvq

lol
its so long

I'll check it out.

Suck in terms of learning curve or how my finished product sounds? I was already expecting both.

soda island influence very obvious/10
melody is too uninteresting for this to be a hit.

lacking any concept of rhythm, but I really like your sounds, especially towards the end.

absolutely horrible. Irredeemable in fact. Please never touch a DAW again.

Learning curve. Basically you're not going to get anything productive out of it for a while.

why do alot of people hate on songs with alot of background sound effects?

>absolutely horrible. Irredeemable in fact. Please never touch a DAW again.

AHAHA

ill get better ...

any advice :)?

For me, less = more. The more stuff going on, the less room a track will have to breathe.

i like a lot of stuff going on

as long as it fits the theme and general sound

yeah in terms of the rhythm of that track, the daw was set at 6/4 time signature, but almost nothing ended up following it so you really cant discern the "beat", i get what you're saying

clyp.it/rqedtpwh

55 seconds of what is supposed to be the main part of a song, I need to add an intro and transitions, however I still need advice

i like the sounds you used as kind of percussion i guess, but i feel like the cowbell is tuned a little weird

I used Logic Pro X on my MacBook for a long time and got quite good at it but the laptop is now dead beyond repair and I'm left with my PC.

1. Is there any way at all to use Logic on Windows so I don't blow $200
2. If not, is FL Studio really as adequate nowadays as people are saying it is and is it a good replacement for Logic

Or perhaps you have a better alternative program? Most of what I make is glitch made with real-instrument MIDIs

>twingoposting outside of /o/

listen to more music. Lurk more. I genuinely have no advice I can give you that would actually help you

>real-instrument MIDIs

Yeah, like orchestral and folk sounds and whatnot

I'm aware of how awful that sounds but I like abusing the uncanniness of the instruments for the music. I play several actual instruments too and use those at times

what are you going to do about it

>/o/ posters in /prod/ and I've never heard any eurobeat in these threads
For shame.

How do people think up instrumentals? Where do they start with a song?

if you can get label what's wrong then your opinion isn't really valid

you must not know enough..

clyp.it/o23gulia

got pic related in the mail today so i wrote and recorded this short demo. whats the easiest way to get only certain snare hits (i.e. the hard ones) to be processed by the reverb? there's got to be an easier way than noise gating or automation. I sent the mic from underneath the snare to a reverb bus, but I think it picks up too much noise from the hi-hats/kick to make a smooth noise gate for just the hard hits going through.

anyone pls

aw shit broski it came in! looks great! i see you're a presonusfag, I have some presonus stuff too that I love. the demo sounds great! want to hear moar.

and you're probably just gonna have to automate it brah.

soundcloud.com/annedrank/the-real-nature-of-essence-is-understanding-experiences-within

I'm not even the guy, but, No, because listing everything would be a waste of time.

>Boring, Incredibly cheesy, copy pasted melody
>Zero mastering
>Too much
>Boring arp
>Boring chords
>Boring hi hat pattern
>No kick
>Zero compression
>Chords so dissonant they sound out of tune
>Bass is lacking low end
>Melody fails to resovle itself
>etc

that's some warm fuzzy stuff user. if i was hai right now it would be comfy af.

yeah man! it's in even better condition than I expected. acts up a tad bit with flutter every now and then, but it might just need brand new tape/a good clean.

yeah, found that firestudio tube for a good price. its tube channels kind of suck though, still more inputs more inputs than I'll probably ever need and a decent amount of inputs.

found an art pro vla tube compressor on craigslist for cheap too, so that might be the next move. good used gear is just finding me, I swear

yea all of this is true
sorry buddy its just really really really aids

I've got this sample that I'm using to thicken the stereo image of my track, but there more signal in the left channel than the right.
How should I go about fixing this?
Can't seem to detect where it's coming from using L/R EQing, can't squash it to mono because I need it's width in tact.
Can't seem to compress it hard enough to even it out either.

What do?

Someone wanted to know how to do Kid A vocals yesterday: they used a Kaoss pad

> clyp.it/ryvv5xx2

Wrote this in finale then exported the .mid to Ableton.

Oi guys this is /r/EdmProd's discord chat. They are a bunch of faggots where they threaten to ban you if give honest feedback

discord.gg/kUYyW

I don't like the mechanical sequenced lead instrument, but you were prob going for that robot sound. Dunno, its like if you asked a computer to make some jazz please, and it came up with your piece. The third section is pretty cool but I would make it looser and dirty it up.

clyp.it/yy3k02nr

me again

get nugen stereoizer

or pan the sample so the l and r light meters look averagely even

you're gonna add singing right? Because it'd sound so much better with vocals.

pulled an all nighter to make this

clyp.it/imxo1wiz

give it a listen peeps and tell me what you think

>or pan the sample so the l and r light meters look averagely even
huh, I didn't think it was that simple to stabilize it that way
thanks

first half doesn't vibe well with the second half at all, and the transition doesn't blend well.

both halves sound pretty good tho, so maybe make 2 songs out of it?

yeah I know exactly what you're saying! I got kinda lazy with it and didn't want to write a verse for that drop or a drop for that verse so I kinda combined 2 different projects just to get them out of the way.

soundcloud.com/cecaelia/max-vangeli-last-night-changed-it-all-cecaelia-remix/s-Og7M9

Unmastered, but I plan on doing that tomorrow.

I agree fully with this guy. I really dig the intro, but when your orchestral choords come in they swallow everything up slightly too much (your original 8bit pluck needs to be brought out more) and when the second saw pluck comes in you need to bring it down about 3-4 decibles, its loud af

That said nice work!

great advice, thanks a lot man!

No problem man (: would you mind giving my track a listen too?

hey adam
it's kudzu lol
the two halves don't go together, but they're good in isolation.

>soundcloud.com/cecaelia/max-vangeli-last-night-changed-it-all-cecaelia-remix/s-Og7M9
the first thing that I notice is that the mix sounds flat but that's mostly an issue with it not being mastered yet since loudness tends to change what you hear in a mix. that pluck sounds a bit weak tho I think, and the main part with the drums, I can't tell if that's a drop or just a transition, either way I think you need to have a bit more sidechain to the drums there. Overall great atmosphere and vibes, also like what you're doing with the chords, just sorta trying to understand what this falls under in terms of genre

yo I'm not Adam, it's Anthony from dicco

So I'm finally back to my computer and am trying to download Max/MSP but I just realized that
>It's really expensive
>I can't find a crack for OSX

I know Pure Data is the open-source version of Max/MSP, is it worth using in the meantime?

>tfw trying to write a love song but you realize you suck at guitar and can't right good lyrics
What's the most convenient way to kill myself so the EMTs don't have a hard time?

The most beautiful love song of all time is electronic bitch
youtube.com/watch?v=nWnUuosQwZY

thank you
ill take that all into consideration next time

no worries
i just don't like criticism that isn't backed with reasoning. I can't improve if i don't know what im doing wrong, ya feel

Haha yeah man i was trying to figure that out for a bit too. When I write music, I write for me rather than other people, and I'm thinking about just calling my work its own genre, since it pulls so many elements of other ones together. I know that sounds cocky, but its an easy solution.

lol i'm just dumb.
i got you two confused because you both have names that start with a
sorry

But I don't have a computer

Never write a love song unless you've got quite a bit of songwriting under your belt already. Otherwise you'll just sound like a 7th grader writing a note to his crush.

He didn't use a computer either bitch

kill yourself with a dragon dildo and make it look like an accident

Here's an ambient track I started working on today. I'm trying to move my music more in that direction, so I'm looking for feedback.

clyp.it/x2twjkyo

What else can I write about? I'm just a depressed 20 year old who hates life. Not much to draw from.

this is bad and i shouldnt post it but i want to get people mad at me so haha fuck you assholea this song is perfect and you're all jealous!!

clyp.it/h4u4fo1b

Is the korg volca series a waste of money for someone who wants to get into hardware synthesis for cheap? I'm thinking about picking up volca fm so I can get some dx7 sounds without having to emulate or maybe a bass instead. I'm still flirting with the idea.

clyp.it/dvhj0i5r

Having lots of trouble getting the right 'sound'.. Any pointers? Also feedback appreciated. Never made anything like this before tho so idk if it sounds good enough

clyp.it/zhp5iy2h

Something something the drums are like that on purpose

>clyp.it/dvhj0i5r
NEW LINK >>>>>>>> clyp.it/dvhj0i5r?token=74490d763144dcf570bf440e713ca417

write about being a depressed 20 year old who hates life.

Like the pulsing synth work a lot but they're a little generic and the chord progression isn't all that interesting

Not bad for a first try

i think you can import dx7 sysex patches to the volca fm

clyp.it/2kh12v5a
just starting to produce. This is the first beat im genuinely happy with, thoughts/suggestions?

What do I do if I like the songs I come up with on an acoustic guitar but don't know how to flesh them out in a DAW

>don't know how
start learning how? what's the question here

I mean I don't know what direction to take it in, like what sounds/instruments to add besides what's played on the guitar. How do you learn that?

Do you mean that the synth sound is generic or are you referring to the chord progression? Do you think the chord progression should change and evolve more?

I'm used to writing music that I would call "hyper-melodic," where I just tried to make the melodies as satisfying and grand as possible, so I'm trying to force myself to be subtle, but it's hard to know where the line between subtle and boring is.

>Do you mean that the synth sound is generic or are you referring to the chord progression?
Both

>Do you think the chord progression should change and evolve more?
If you want to focus on the composition and melody aspects I would try it but lots of musicians in the genre get away with the same progression/single chord throughout so it's probably just preference and individual songwriting

Experimentation

anyone buying themselves cool gear for the holidays?

I'm checking online and can't find anything I would justify spending money on

2/3rd of your replies guy here. Pure data is a fantastic starting point. Max did make both after all.

Yeah I picked it up a few minutes ago and I'm watching videos on YouTube and playing along. Feel like I'm learning to play Dwarf Fortress again but I figure it'll def be worth it.

Thanks for the advice user

i cant find anything either i can justify spending on everything i want is out of my price range anyways so i figure i will wait this year and buy next year

bruh s that the pokemon gym music at the beginning

clyp.it/dm0nycr4

got REmake recently

yeeeee

I love it
Turn the bass turn by 6db and add more distortion
Muh limiter
This is nice, maybe add another subtle element.
Could be a cool glitch track if you work with those drums.
Make the drums louder in the mix, turn down the harmonics on the synth or filter it a little.
Add more elements with unique sounds to stop it becoming generic, turn down the kick a fraction. But nice tune.
The left panned snare makes my autism kick in, maybe add more character and distortion to the bass and turn it down 3db. I like the bass line in it.

clyp.it/2bs1piik
I think i need to improve the bass in this track, it still seems way too muddy to me.