/daily/ listening thread- "cozy wintertime" edition

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

neverendingchartrendering.org/
>come here to make charts

plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel
>chat room shenanigans and """good""" music

dailymu-sic.weebly.com/
>come here for op pics, charts, listenalongs, misc. stuff

Previously, on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1HnOFwqpLRQ
rateyourmusic.com/list/woolite123/year-in-review-2016/
youtube.com/watch?v=H91bEGJYBU4
rateyourmusic.com/list/Montie_Ray/top-50-albums-of-2016/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

:)

Lambchop's FLOTUS was weird. i've only heard two of their records, so I can't really speak on their discography as a whole, but it feels like a huge misstep with the autotuning. I love the vocalist's sound, so i'm unhappy they took that direction. I hope to see less electronic influence in their other albums.

hi kanzler

also here's the albums I just got through hearing all of, in case anyone interested missed it

listen to this!

"Old" albums I listened to this year that I can personally vouch for as being good.

listen to ramleh it's very good

Albums from this year (that were good).

neat idea, i made one of those too that fly pan am album is p decent at least

xth for hampus

Will you be listening to more LUM?

I like how it sounds on the blown out speakers in my car. :o

Not so wild that it's outside the range of what they can handle but zany enough to intersperse fun rock songs with tactile little concrete pieces.

Which one is Hampus?

maybe in the future, but not any time soon. I really burnt myself out on uneven compromise
only cos you got those great digits
+nazoranai, modest mouse
I heard rothko chapel this year, too- I had the opportunity to listen to it while visiting the rothko chapel in houston, it was amazing. if the opportunity presents itself to you, go for it.

What a convenient distraction to Russia's involvement in the US elections. Got the crystal clear photo and everything.

>implying russia's supposed involvement in the US election isn't already a distraction

it's a well-documented fact that hampus is a shapeshifter

Neato! Never actually seen a Rothko irl.

+Ramleh, Grim, Endo, Sword Heaven

Well it's his best, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Still, Oblivion Access and Third Side of Tape are well worth it if you're ever in the mood.

Sorry if I come across as a pleb, but I really like listening to Abba these days.
youtube.com/watch?v=1HnOFwqpLRQ

>Neato! Never actually seen a Rothko irl.
surprisingly, a lot to look at. though the massive size of the pieces in the chapel is definitely a contributing factor. you can kind of find faces and stuff in it, like if you're looking at a tree's bark or something like that
>+Ramleh, Grim, Endo, Sword Heaven
i'm pretty excited to hear them, doing ramleh this evening

>Well it's his best, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
that's what everyone says, and why i'm not worrying it haha

>Sorry if I come across as a pleb
never apologize for liking music
abba is really good, too, I should listen to them more

>opening your mouth to say anything close to being contrarian during a politically flavored discourse in a scandinavian uni
Do you have a death wish hampy, maybe if the teacher is neutral about the issue but if you even suspect otherwise it's playing with fire.

liking any music at all warrants apologizing for

:posurs:

faeces dude lmao

wtf don't be rude to me

dont have shit taste near me??

im just having a laff lad
i respect your choices even though I've only heard matmos (and liked it), i just have reasons to think that keiji, jim and masami didn't deliver

wow who is this imposteur :/

???
???

No but really all those are p good you can trust me.

>tfw letting the water hold you down

>liking any music at all warrants apologizing for
that's true tbqhsmhfamngl

Sorry i do not know what you like and can't trust that I'll like what you like
I'll check out the other 3 sometime but promise me they're not pointless

iktf

All music is pointless, my man.

>You were added to a list: Kissless Virgins of RYM 2016.

thanks shamepai

I listen to music for entertainment, if what you think is good fails to meet that requirement then I'll have to say thanks

why would you thank me if it doesn't entertain you

are you having a "nothin' personnel, kid" moment

....heh....yes....

...;o

no really tho i'll check those out, but even if I trusted you I don't trust heino or akita so I just don't bother yknowhatimsayin

ah, well if you don't like noisy shit then ya, I wouldn't even bother.

Both are the kinds of things you would expect from them.

Welp, just finished

rateyourmusic.com/list/woolite123/year-in-review-2016/

nice!

btw, have you tried putting "[Album6853748]" for the Blackstar entry instead of just searching "Blackstar"?

nice!

btw, have you tried putting "[Album2349013]" for the Blackstar entry instead of just searching "Blackstar"?

well, you sound like a critic

Nope but I'll try it in a sec. Thanks for the suggestion

Is that a good thing or a bad thing? I tried to analyze them a little without sounding like an asshole lol

neither, i just prefer an at least kinda casual writing style personally
like christgau's even though he's definitely an asshole
yours makes me want to stop reading after the opening sentence

Ended up working, didn't know it worked like that on lists too. Thanks

>yours makes me want to stop reading after the opening sentence

Fuck, that's not what I was hoping for

awesome

@nyarl

I will admit that All I Want For Christmas Is You is pretty good, but the rest of the album is pretty half-assed and uncomfortably 90s.

Is that why his account is suspended? I'm surprised he's made it this far, given that time he PMd someone his erotic fantasies.

oh jeez, i didn't even realize he got suspended lmao

not gonna lie i'm surprised it took this long too

He also just made a "pedophiles of RYM" list so I'm sure that played a role as well.

Shamepai - figure your shit out dude.

Who was on them?

I remember Montie, Nat and Julie being on the virgin list (as well as including himself lmao), the rest I don't know or recall.

the virgin list was basically a bunch of people that have pissed shamepai off in some way + himself

the pedophile list i don't know

Nice taste with that Jim Hall and Bill Evans desu

PAGING RUDI TO GIMME A REC

it's so good
it instantly became one of my favorite jazz records. i'm trying to give myself some time before listening to intermodulation

'ey supercluster plz don't miss this a second time I bet on myself for your tournament! :0 :0 :0

'cause I'm gonna WIN!

>tfw I'm on the list
how did I even piss him off

what exactly is daily? Is it just where a bunch of neets spend all day in their music absorption chambers and come to argue about which obscure album is the best?? I'm genuinely curious, I hardly know any of the albums in your charts.

what exactly is daily? Is it just where a bunch of neets spend all day in their music absorption chambers and come to argue about which obscure album is the best?? I'm genuinely curious, I hardly know any of the albums in your charts.

neo-Sup Forums feels threatened by people with an interest in exploring music outside the Sup Forumscore and p4k pop sphere, so this is a containment thread for everyone that wants to do so in peace.

Welcome!

cool cool
are there any /daily/ essentials or would that kind of be ruining the point of it?

I take my comment back I just found the weebly page

Y E E T
E
E
T

I just wouldn't say that chart is definitive by any means, mind you. Plenty of these things floating around that can be used as starting points.

Does any one have a chart or recs for getting into free jazz

unironically worse than the one in the op

Yeah that's wrong though.

Do you already like 'regular' jazz?

>posting outdated memes

Skepta - Konnichiwa (2016)
>grime, UK hip hop

The production is definitely the weakest link here. Skepta's a great MC, he's got the power and the fast flows I love in grime, and he manages to spit out the cheesiest lyrics with complete conviction, which is something I really admire. The beats are wholly mediocre, and they often adopt a more American trap sound that suits Sketpa poorly. "Ladies Hit Squad", featuring an out-of-place A$AP Nast, and "Numbers", featuring an awful bridge from the usually good Pharrell, are the worst offenders. The normal grime production isn't anything to write home about either. Integrity> by JME (Skepta's brother, featured on the best track off of this album) is a perfect example on how to properly make modern grime beats have a lot of power and energy, two things the beats on this album lack. They're alright, and Skepta's performance is dazzling, but it's a pretty mediocre album.

2.0+

Yes

hey, can anyone tell me if it would be ok to post a giveaway of a record here on Sup Forums or should i go to /soc/

I got an extra copy of a rare record and want to give it away for xmas

Givingbear used to do something like that sometimes so yeah it is

Tommy Johnson - Complete Recorded Works in Chronological Order (1928-1929) (1994)
>delta blues

The first eight or so tracks are perfect little nuggets of delta blues. Johnson's guitar playing is great in a somewhat idiosyncratic manner, and his fragile falsetto adds a really ominous quality to the music that makes it distinct from a lot of other delta blues. After "Big Fat Mama Blues", the recording quality takes a massive dive. The songs buried underneath the crackles and the heavy, obscene surface noise are obviously great, but they sometimes become unlistenable due to the poor recording quality. A remastered version of this comp with more listenable production would be a classic, as is it's a flawed documentation of a great bluesman.

3.0-

John Zorn - Naked City (1990)
>avant-garde jazz

I think I like heavy, oppressive Zorn (Leng Tch'e, At the Mountains of Madness) more than I like wacky Zorn (this and Torture Garden). I really love the tracks here that switch between lounge or rockabilly and balls to the wall grindcore at the drop of a hat, and the performances are pitch perfect, the always exciting Joey Baron being a big standout. The tracks where they take on and expand upon one specific sound or genre tend to fare a lot worse. The production is really clean and sterile, which makes the jazz tracks seem totally soulless, and the rockabilly is (I'm sure purposefully) cheesy as hell. The genre mixtures they've got going on are perfect, but their longer, more focused tracks tend to lose the energy and spark of madness that make Zorn great.

2.5+

youtube.com/watch?v=H91bEGJYBU4

Ka - Honor Killed the Samurai (2016)
>east coast hip hop

Ka's flow and voice sound like a cross between Madlib and MF DOOM. He's got that gruff east coast sound, monotone and nondescript, but still mostly engaging. The idiosyncratic production, almost completely lacking any percussion whatsoever, allows him to experiment a lot more with his flow, speaking through a lot of tracks rather than rapping them. It's an interesting take on hip hop, but it makes a lot of tracks blend together, and the monotone voice can get a bit old. The spooky, minimalistic production is done well, but the constant repetition of loops makes short tracks seem a lot longer than they actually are, and a few beats seem kinda like teases, like they're just intros to full beats that never materialize. An interesting, fresh take on hip hop, but certainly not without some massive flaws.

2.5-

Yeah, go for it
Givingbear has his givingthreads where he'd have folks post with codes so he could ID them, and then mail the poster who last got dubs when bump limit got whatever record they wanted. In fact I won once! Got me a Sondre Lerche record

>uncomfortably 90s.
Kek
Post this in a rym review

Hi everyone, I published my top 50 albums of 2016 on my RYM tell me what you think!

rateyourmusic.com/list/Montie_Ray/top-50-albums-of-2016/

Unfortunately, like many blues recordings of the Era, the songs are somewhat lost to time.
Every comp I've heard has these versions of the songs. Some are a bit more cleaned up, or in some cases even worse, but for whatever reason those seem to be the only recordings available to labels wanting to repress.
There is a remastered version of that comp but all the poor quality songs have just been replaced by Ishman Bracey numbers.

it's a shame, really. you can tell that the songs are great but they're just so hard to listen to.

Some decent albums. Too late to review stuff rn. Idoli really killed in that Yugoslav post-punk album.

Yo there's a few good albums on each of these what gives
I'll never not be triggered by the 6.5 for Zen Arcade

>Yo there's a few good albums on each of these what gives
ya

Pig sleep. Dentist appt in 7 hours fml.

Ornette Coleman - The Shape of Jazz to Come
Eric Dolphy - Out To Lunch
Peter Brotzmann - Machine Gun
Cecil Taylor - Unit Structures
David Holland Quartet - Conference of the Birds
Don Cherry - Eternal Rhythm
John Coltrane - Ascension
Albert Ayler - Spiritual Unity
Anthony Braxton - Quartet (Santa Cruz) 1993
Sun Ra - Cosmic Tones for Mental Therapy
Sonny Sharrock - Ask the Ages

These should give you a pretty good overview of the different facets of free jazz, try them out and take note of elements you like and don't like.

thank you will try em out

Any depressing metal recommendations?

All metal is depressing.

Wew, this old meme.

garbage

anyone recommend me some good indie rock, indie pop, or electronic artists/albums
after looking at my spotify album i realised my basic taste has led me to these three genres mainly

FUCK YEAH WINTER BREAK MOTHERFUCKERS

Still have assignments to do over the holidays, but at least I get a few days of worrying about nothing except my debilitatingly depressing social status in class and how no one really cares about me and how I'm being more and more alienated from the rest of my social group every single day. WOO

dw it was only a matter of time

Yeah, sure, I didn't miss it, just forgot when was writing the post