What's the right way to listen to a jazz record? Are you supposed to put all your focus on the music...

What's the right way to listen to a jazz record? Are you supposed to put all your focus on the music, like some sort of medition? Do you need to get into classical before jazz?

I try to appreciate and understand jazz but I lose my attention during the half of most pieces. So far I only "get" Kind of Blue, Giant Steps, and Idle Moments. I think I may be too dumb for jazz.

What do, lads?

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3728280/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2503660/
youtube.com/watch?v=ZS0Bnt3ZTGo&
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4827335/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2797098/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's the notes that they're *not* playing.

No classical
No meditating

You just put it on like any other music and groove

I got into it thanks to the world-tinged chaos of Pharoah Sanders - Villiage of the Pharoahs

Now i just think everything from Lester Young to modern avant noise jazz is neat.

You just listen to different shit and if it grabs your ear, run with it, if not, don't

Stop fetishizing a fucking genre

I love jazz but what does this even mean?

Google "phrasing"

>Are you supposed to put all your focus on the music, like some sort of medition?

I'm pretty sure you're supposed to do that for all music.

When I listen to anything new I'll just stare at the MusicBee theatre mode.

If you lose focus, that's either the music's fault for being boring, or it's good ambient.

Google "Schrödinger's cat"

When I first got into jazz I was given some pointers to contextualize it. Generally you ought to focus on the soloist and what they're communicating. The rhythm section can be attention grabbing but the soloist is usually the main focus. Also some knowledge of theory helps but isn't necessary. It may also be helpful to read up on the culture and history of jazz. Not necessarily a book, skimming Wikipedia for albums can help a beginner. The lineups of different albums speaks a lot about who the bandleader chose, why they chose them, and ultimately it comes down to what each player has to offer and their chemistry between each other. Jazz is often very social music. Above all just enjoy it!

do research on any facet of the music you're drawn to. There's plenty of hybrids and styles of jazz. Use Wikipedia and google. If you don't like something, even if it's considered a masterpiece, just listen to it as much as you want and then move on. Try again in a few years, your ear may have changed.

Try to come to the music on its own terms, even if it means understanding some of the history and surrounding culture.

smoking pot helps

This

No. Don't do this. You don't need drugs to enjoy music.

ffaaaagggggoottt

To really get hear the music you've got to listen to it actively. Listen to the drums or piano and how they react to the soloist. Listen to the music like you're part of the rhythm section and comping along.

Otherwise it's just background noise. That's why it's hard to really listen deeply to jazz unless you've got some experience playing.

this desu

you don't need meat to enjoy a meal either but it'll be a cold day in hell when I become a vegetarian

what are you, amish?

you're meant to read the sheet music, not listen to it
you fucking moron

Drugs are better at getting you to appreciate "challenging" music than your mind is...

>what are you, amish?
I'm not a degenerate. Marijuana has it's uses, but it's not necessary to be high to enjoy music. It can be used as an analgetic if you're suffering from a disease.

interesting I didnt know there was an analgesic and analgetic

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3728280/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2503660/

>it's not necessary to be high to enjoy music
No but it's fucking fun...

drugs helped me to appreciate some of my current favorite albums...I don't need drugs to appreciate those albums now, but thats what I needed at the time.

to be honest if you don't have some musical background in jazz or jazz theory or improvisation... you probably won't 'get' it that much.

>it's not necessary
that's not a compelling argument. just because something is not necessary doesn't mean it can't improve. a sense of sight isn't necessary to enjoy music. surround sound speakers aren't necessary. going to concerts isn't necessary. knowing the composer's background and influences isn't necessary. going for a drive isn't necessary.

if you have an actual argument for why drugs and jazz shouldn't be mixed, I'm all ears. 'but you don't have to' is not one.

alt+f4

I prefer slower paced jazz to the faster stuff like Miles Davis and all those other highly acclaimed artists. I also prefer jazz with only 4 instruments at most; otherwise it sounds too "busy" to me. Also i really love the accordion/bandoneon in jazz.
youtube.com/watch?v=ZS0Bnt3ZTGo&
Recs for good jazz duos?

learning an instrument honestly makes all the difference

it definitely *adds* a lot to it, but with just really basic knowledge of jazz musical forms, some pointers like gave, I think anyone can get a lot of jazz. I listened to jazz like that before learning any music theory, I still barely know any jazz theory but in spite of that I get a lot of enjoyment out of jazz when I'm in the mood for it.

Let's actually hear what science has to say:
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4827335/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2797098/

How is it I run into you retards more often in this board than Sup Forums? The only people who give a shit what others put into their body are the pseudo-purist types who love to throw the word "degenerate" around as if it's some saving grace to their laughable argument that places them into a fedora and a pin stripe suit.

>I'll post a link to show that there are adverse conditions to using a drug

Let me bring up a medical journal on alcohol. I'm sure you have a retort for that one lined up already but let's hear it.