Why do people collect and listen to vinyl records when you can stream any song or album online for half the cost...

Why do people collect and listen to vinyl records when you can stream any song or album online for half the cost? Are vinyl collectors retarded or something? Because I honestly can't think of one good reason for buying vinyl.

Other urls found in this thread:

discogs.com/seller/bowiefan/profile
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's important if there's a locked groove or other vinyl gimmick

Because it's cool

Because there are people out there who can still enjoy things and haven't had all the joy sucked out of their lives

I collect to resell

It feels nice to have something tangible. Vinyl is physical, the music is kept on grooves on the record. It seems more real than just ones and zeros. You can see the motor on the turntable, it all has a charm to it. Regardless, have you ever bought something because it brought you joy, even though it may have technically been illogical? if so, you are in no position to criticize.

Cause you can hold the music in your hand and it has real weight, look at the cover art up close, read the lyric card. It really is strangely satisfying. No hard ogic behind it

Link your discogs, baby

Because with vinyl you don't have to worry that you got a shitty transcode of the album

>you got a shitty transcode of the album
from buying a download?

I used to be a very intense collector. Had amassed over 600 vinyls at once, but have been a seller almost as long as I've been buying. Rough guess, probably have had right around 4,000-6,000 pass through my hands the last 10 years. Only recently started selling online. I noticed something surprising, of my last 20-30 or so sales, at least half, but probably more than that have gone to California.

What the fuck Cali?

>buying a download

I only listen to music made before 1979. I have all the music I like on vinyl, original pressings

discogs.com/seller/bowiefan/profile

This is valid. Original pressings for tons of albums are $1-$5. So if you are the type of person that buys music it works for you because most places offer a digital single for $0.99 or you can buy the entire album for a few bucks.

Though in some cases original pressings get fucking nuts.

interesting, so do you have everything yet? Do you want literally everything?

>discogs.com/seller/bowiefan/profile
I do my selling on ebay.
How is discogs for selling?

I like the surface noise
I like the big art
I like having a heavy, physical copy of the music
I like the feeling of putting records on a record player
I like the extra goodies that often come with the records
I like collecting something, especially something that has a function unlike stamps or something

>implying stamps have no function
>Ever send a letter?

well, there are like 40 million people in the state alone.

How'd you do this holiday season? People went fucking apeshit on me November 13th so I don't know if ebay gave out coupons or what.

While that is true, there are more people outside of Cali than there are inside of it.

Think it has to do with the culture out there as well? I mean a lot of hipster/artsy/wannabe actors do move out there.

Made right around 30 sales. I don't put up many listings, maybe 20 a month. Thinking about putting more effort into it though, seems like a viable way to make a good side income.

But that very much decreases the value, and you lose your stamp when you send the letter. You're missing the point of a collection.

Playing the record and touching the cover over and over again causes wear which decreases the value. I'm sorry, but stamps serve a function, records serve a function, but everything loses value.

there's just something fun about collecting vinyl. it's nice to sit down with an album, sit there and take it in with no distractions and see the music for what it is.

the big album art is a bonus too

Were most of those San Francisco and Sacramento? There are SO MANY goddamn vinyl hipsters here and they inflate prices so much. I hate it.

You just can't get cheap used shit from thrift stores anymore unless you show up literally as soon as they open and all the dedicated record stores have ridiculous markups.

I'm talking like $15 for a beat to shit copy of Fragile or Close To the Edge and you won't even be able to find the really popular stuff like DSOTM, fucking Rumors, Kind of Blue or ITCOTCK second hand in good condition anywhere.

Amoeba is hella nice and so is Raputin but goddamn are they pricey and all the independent places are always out of everything. because they get bum rushed by hipsters 24/7.

No, they go all over the state. Oakland, Napa, Hollywood to name a few places. Places are like that where I am, New Jersey. You go to the more hipster towns and good fucking luck finding anything for its actual price. That might be why so many people from Cali do buy online. Even with shipping they pay less than going to a hipster filled store.

Just because you fucking can.

Does everyone agree that there is a growing portion of the vinyl collecting population that is getting extremely cancerous?

I agree. It's mostly the record companies that are cancerous though. Who needs a new vinyl pressing of Carole King Tapestry or Fleetwood Mac Rumours? I can find like 2 or 3 copies of those at every thrift store I go to.

But you can play a vinyl you have even if it's in a collection, which is its intended purpose. The only purpose of a stamp is to pay for a letter, which it cannot do while in a collection. Besides, sending a letter with the stamp on it reduces the value a lot more cause you won't have it.

Although stamp collecting is the same as art collecting really. Some are nice to look at.

Yes.
Just search "My record collection" on youtube and look at the cesspool of Lana Del Rey and "Ohh my goood u guise, everywun should own this album, Fleetwood Mac's Rumours. I only paid $30 for it at urban outfitters."

Once saw a girl pull out Jackson Browne's Running On Empty and proceed to say "This is Running On Empty by Jackson Brownie."

They're not actually part of the vinyl community. They have crosleys and their records are bought from urban outfitters.

That's some no true Scotsman shit right there I tell ya hwat.

Yeah those UO Crosley kids who buy all the reissues of common shit are cancer but they're the most vocal and they spend the most money which means that the industry caters to their wants.

The record labels don't give two squirts of piss about somebody buying used off Discogs to play in their also used record player and sound system since they don't make money off that.

>spend the most money
Wouldn't say that. They do make up a huge part of the sales for the past 5 years, but they're not more than half. That other half is the actual community, which I consider myself a part of. I spend quite some money on new releases, mostly form smaller labels.