Bands hipsters hate b/c they were so damn good

Bands hipsters hate b/c they were so damn good.

>youtube.com/watch?v=XauUeYaU5Pc

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ig7gTvYETZc
youtube.com/watch?v=gw5-pGKpRHk
youtube.com/watch?v=D6M558v3HPY
youtube.com/watch?v=htQ2tO3xMIU
youtube.com/watch?v=UGiruo6K238
youtube.com/watch?v=Pfb3iE92_Oo
youtube.com/watch?v=BUibOVjlSn4
youtube.com/watch?v=SaoDAOIw7c4
youtube.com/watch?v=GZ7tsqHlOyM
youtu.be/3PzsZrGFrAs?t=28
youtube.com/watch?v=pZGysavXucw
youtube.com/watch?v=tx2FQf37Mk0
youtube.com/watch?v=l9jkGdNZRec
twitter.com/AnonBabble

those drums sound like wet ass hitting toilet paper

Solo projects are even better!
youtube.com/watch?v=Ig7gTvYETZc

Everything KISS went for AC/DC did better
This is fucking fact

David Bowie
The Velvet Underground

HIPSTER. KRYPTONITE.

The musical equivalent to bowel cancer

>David Bowie
>The Velvet Underground
both of those are massively popular with hipsters. what planet are you on?

Hipsters have always loved both of those, fuck you talkin' 'bout?

Charlie Parker
Miles Davis
The Velvet Underground
Joy Division
Sonic Youth
Radiohead
Animal Collective
Kendrick Lamar

THE anti-hipsters of their times and all times.

KISS only existed from 1974-1977

That was Beatles tier

Best to ignore everything else

>youtube.com/watch?v=gw5-pGKpRHk

>youtube.com/watch?v=D6M558v3HPY

>youtube.com/watch?v=htQ2tO3xMIU

>youtube.com/watch?v=UGiruo6K238

Santana

My Bloody Valentine
Pavement
Spacemen 3
Kraftwerk
Suicide
Galaxie 500

HIPSTERS CAN'T STAND 'EM!

Atypical example but it's funny how when Trent Reznor was really popular after authoring one of the greatest 'album' albums and subsequently one of the most "it's all over the place" mess of a double LP, Pitchfork-inclined hipsters hated him.

Then they kind of felt neutral when he started putting out really "okay" work.

Then they started loving him after he went indie and put out the most boring work he had ever, being noticed by hardly anyone except people covering Radiohead and NIN during the beginning of the "name your price" movement. Literally gave a brickwalled remaster of Pretty Hate Machine a 9.5 BNR when it was like a 5.6 before that. Had he re-re-released The Downward Spiral, it would have got its obligatory 10 no doubt.

Then he signed to a label, put out a much better record, started becoming popular and acknowledged again.

And the process started reversing itself with those same people.

Next NIN record will be amazing and probably will get 2.0 from Pitchfork again.

Post-third wave music hipsters are hilarious.

Image unrelated.

>Galaxie 500

listening to this album drunk on cheap wine in my room at 1am, school next day, candles burning and incense, outside the moon sad and lonely looking through the window at me sitting there writing bad poetry for no one... good times

It's surreal that Nine Inch Nails retrospectively in the 21st century has generally been loved by hipsters who hate any popular music without at least ten Nietzsche references per minute, because in the 90's, NIN fans were obnoxious faux rivitheads who made shitty mixtapes that also included White Zombie and Marilyn Manson on them. These are the same dorks who as adults think Cash's cover of Hurt is the original because they forgot there was anything after Closer. I have no idea what happened.

this senbai :DD

Then why exactly is it I constantly see hipsters either loving or hating these bands?

Particularly one like Radiohead, where the fanbase is simultaneously comprised of 'normalfags' who own PH through OKC only, people who really love music of all sorts, electronic hipsters who say things like "nothing before Kid A is worth listening to" and finally quasi-hipsters who say things like "to this day, I've no clue what The Gloaming is about wholistically."

That's a band with a HUGE fanbase. You really can't lump them in with AnCo there.

Also, The Velvet Underground and Joy Division were huge enough my literal dadrock loving dad and all his suburban boomer-ish aged friends love them too.

Plus, Peter Murphy wrote Joy Division into Losing My Edge, which is the most pretentious song that doesn't suck ever written. So yeah.

good shit

>KISS only existed from 1974-1977

Gene and Paul pretty much believe this too aside from one or two 80s songs like Lick It Up.

peter criss is the worst drummer in the history of popular music

i can guarantee you guys have never heard a drum solo like this:

youtube.com/watch?v=Pfb3iE92_Oo

>1998

This is a troll, right? He went to shit after a car accident in 1979, one reason they originally cut from the band. Ace and Peter were fucking awful during the reunion tour, they could barely play and even on Psycho Circus, they only play on two tracks with session musicians doing all of the rest.

youtube.com/watch?v=BUibOVjlSn4

Why does Paul sound so much like Ian Gillain on Parasite holy shit

That's Gene

I loved when they would insult Gene Simmons on the Howard Stern Show. This is my favorite.

youtube.com/watch?v=SaoDAOIw7c4

Parasite was 100% Ace's composition--lead, rhythm guitar, bass, lyrics, and backing vocals. However, he had Gene sing lead vocals because he was insecure about his voice.

Strutter and She are great.

go to 38 minutes of the vid in op to hear as good a rock solo as you'll ever hear anywhere

>go to 38 minutes of the vid in op to hear as good a rock solo as you'll ever hear anywhere

Dressed to Kill [Casablanca, 1975]

I feel schizy about this record. It rocks with a brutal, uncompromising force reminiscent of a slicked back, heavied up MC5 or Dave Clark Five and the songwriting is very much improved over albums one and two. But the lyrics dimly recall the liberal fantasy of rock concert as Nuremberg Rally, with sexism at its cruelest hinted at in songs such as "Room Service" and "Ladies in Waiting", a situation made more ominous by the band's refusal to bare the faces beneath the makeup. That may be just the effect they intend, although for the worst of reasons. You damn well know if they didn't have their eye on maximum commerciality, they'd call themselves "Blowjob". B-

Destroyer [Casablanca, 1976]

Like most hard (not heavy) groups wildly favored by young teens (cf. Alice Cooper, BTO), these guys have always rocked better than adults were willing to enjoy, but pro producer Bob Ezrin adds only bombast and melodrama. Their least interesting record. C+

Rock and Roll Over [Casablanca, 1977]

Those who dismiss them as unlistenable are still evading the issue: they write tough, catchy songs, and if they had a sly, Jagger-style singer they'd be a menace. But they aren't a menace, my wife and my sister assure me; the kids get off on the burlesque. Does this mean that when the cartoon hero in the platform shoes bellows an order to grab the rocket in his pocket all the twelve-year-olds are aware that this is a caricature of sex, and macho sex at that? Really, I'd like to know. But I'm not getting down on my knees to find out. B-

[Meltdown, 1980s]

[Everything Rocks and Nothing Ever Dies, 1990s]

>But the lyrics dimly recall the liberal fantasy of rock concert as Nuremberg Rally, with sexism at its cruelest hinted at in songs such as "Room Service" and "Ladies in Waiting"
>
what a fucking neutered faggot

>Kiss
>good

Paul and Gene take every chance they get to shit on Ace and Peter, a lot of it unfair. Pay those two old kikes no heed.

>knows he can't post anything better, so doesn't

how do you not find them cartoonishly endearing you heartless monsters

Ace and Peter WERE KISS, the magic was gone when they left.

Ace's riffs were god-tier and Peter was a super-underrated drummer.

My uncle bought the S/T and HTH in 1974 just after they came out. He quickly returned them to the store. Said that Kiss were a band for 11 year olds who thought the Osmonds were too juvenile, but the Eagles or Neil Young were too advanced for them.

sounds legit

Fuck hipsters KISS RULE!

>how do you not find them cartoonishly endearing you heartless monsters
This.

>hipsters
Wtf I love 2010 now

Yeah he said the rock coming out at that time was really disappointing compared to 1967-71.

Yeah I mean, they still had some good songs in the 80s-90s but never again had that same chemistry as the first six albums. "Let's Put The X in Sex" is not my idea of a good song.

Of all the guitarists they've had over the years, none of them could play Ace's solos properly. They just can't get the groove and tone right.

Specifically, Peter broke his wrists in a car crash while driving drunk. You can well imagine that that's not the greatest thing to happen to a drummer.

i think melvins fits well here

Kiss always had that reputation as a kiddie band, but you should have heard some of Paul's filthy stage banter in the 80s. Every other word was "fuck" or "pussy" or "cum". He didn't curse on stage in the 70s, but the 80s...

That was after they switched to Mercury Records in 1983. I think the new label pushed them into that because they wanted Kiss to seem more "adult" and move them away from that kiddie image they'd had.

>He didn't curse on stage in the 70s
he's cursing in the op vid

they weren't considered kiddie until the later 70's when they went beatles with all the lunchboxes and toys etc.

in the early days they were lumped in with bands like sabbath

they had a nazi SS as part of their logo and spit blood etc. for god's sake

weird times

genius, utter trash, just ok

lots of drugs too

They went full-on kiddie during the Dynasty-Elder period. Yeah, I do agree that Mercury pressured them into acting raunchier so as to shake off that notion that they were a comic book band for 8-11 year olds.

There was one photo I saw of Paul in the early 90s where he has on a costume with "Fuck" printed all over it. Apparently he wasn't quite comfortable being that lewd and whenever they performed in NYC, he kept his stage bantz clean because his mother would attend their concerts.

>they had a nazi SS as part of their logo

Possibly Ace's work. Gene and Paul sure as fuck weren't gonna make a logo with Nazi imagery.

The Dynasty Tour was pretty much of a fiasco. A lot of shows got cancelled due to low ticket sales, the new album they were promoting was pretty ass except for IWMFLY, Peter's playing went down the drain, Ace was disgusted with their increasingly kid-centered music and image, and most of the general public were suffering Kiss burnout by 1979.

They toured with Judas Priest in '79 and Priest, who were just starting to get huge then, made Kiss look like yesterday's news.

Oh, and Gene was kind of tuning out by that point because he was more interested in dating Cher.

Gene almost totally quit during the 80s. He only contributed the bare minimum to the band at that time. 80s Kiss was really a Paul Stanley solo act.

see

Christgau was the original nu male.

Gene used to actually _play_ bass in the 70s. In the 80s, he got lazy and just chugged the root note. Also he only played on his own songs, leaving the rest of an album's bass tracks to Paul, Bruce Kulick, or whatever random session musician was available that day.

According to Ron Nevison, who produced Crazy Nights, "This was the only album I did with Kiss. I recall mostly working with Paul and Bruce and to a lesser extent Eric Carr. Gene was really only needed for the bass tracks and he spent most of the recording sessions sitting in the back of the room reading Variety Magazine."

>"Soloing was not Peter's forte. He often sounded more like Ricky Ricardo playing the bongos rather than a rock n roll drummer playing a legitimate solo".

I agree. They brought that whole New York street punk image to the band. Gene and Paul were just two fugly nerds who started a band to get rich and have sex.

Poor Eric Carr. He developed a rare form of cancer and the two kikes cut off his health care plan and left him to die.

Ace's solo act is p. good. It's the closest you'll get nowadays to 70s Kiss.

it's almost as if there are people on this board that like kiss

Can't seem to shake the stigma that punk rock put on them.
What I've noticed with with "hipsters" is that they are trying to adhere to certain guide lines that really don't exist. Spending a lot of time attending music festivals, I've met many self proclaimed young hipsters. Their knowledge of older music usually shit. That is because it's probably only been a couple years since they deviated from mainstream shit.

Supposedly by the early 90s, Paul was a little uncomfortable being that raunchy on stage as he was pushing 40 and performing to fans who in some cases were young enough to be his kids.

>tfw my dad took me to see Kiss in '86 when I was 6 years old
>tfw it was his birthday so he decided to treat himself to this concert

I do remember something about Paul Stanley dropping the F-bomb. Also the chick sitting next to us was topless. But hey, I survived that concert and turned out reasonably normal.

youtube.com/watch?v=GZ7tsqHlOyM

i used to listen to my friend play drums a lot when we were both about eight. i'm pretty sure he played better than that

Yeah well, as I said Ace and Peter's playing skills by the reunion tour were a joke. I mean, sure, there was the whole nostalgia factor for first-generation Kiss fans and the magic of seeing the original lineup on stage again, but it did obscure the generally awful quality of most of those concerts.

Led Zeppelin
AC/DC
Oasis
Metallica
Dire Straits

How the fuck can play drums professionally for multiple decades and still be this bad? It's almost impressive that he didn't accidentally become passable.

Carnival of Souls was one of the weirdest Kiss records ever, when they tried to go grunge, and Mercury wouldn't release it because "It's not what Kiss fans are expecting." At least they didn't sue the band like Dave Geffen did with Neil Young.

Try being a substance abuser who broke your wrists in a car crash. You're never the same again after that kind of injury, especially when you're a fucking drummer.

Professional musicians not being able to play live is my fetish

youtu.be/3PzsZrGFrAs?t=28

God awful from the start. He never learned how to play drums and he was no prodigy.

He had absolutely no knowledge of music (I'm talking about the absolute basics) and he was absolutely pathetic in the studio. And he never caught up in talent because he was lazy, stubborn and delusional about his abilities.

Every single person who has been involved with the band has said that. And everything they said lines up perfectly with his live solos. He didn't even know how to tune the drums.

Eric Carr was 10x the drummer Peter was, too bad about how he ended.

They hired Alice in Chains's producer, who thought he was going to do a typical Kiss record until Gene told him "No, we want to sound like AIC".

To be honest, the guys were in their 40s, they were too old really for this style of music or being able to "get" that whole Gen Xer angst, but it was a pretty good attempt anyway.

youtube.com/watch?v=pZGysavXucw

I never heard a single Kiss song from the classic albums where I could even recall the drums at all, that's how unimportant Peter was.

Is this the worst rock song ever recorded?

youtube.com/watch?v=tx2FQf37Mk0

I think KISS is a marginally better band but if i want some cheesy garbage id rather hear 18 and life or something

It's not the best song on DTK. That would be "She". I love that one.

Nice meme. KISS was a garbage band that made garbage music just to sell merchandise.

Kiss were lucky to avoid ending up on CMC Records like most of their contemporaries.

>CMC Records
I don't know what that is. Something bad?

i have never heard a song mixed like that

it's as if you're in someone's basement listening to a local high school band

>that chorus

Holy fuck it was just a mediocre rocker with bad production but when that shit hits it's over. Did the people that wrote this ever hear rock music before?

Kiss had hardly any money in the early days, those first albums were low budget af. They had to borrow their manager's suits for the DTK cover because only Peter actually owned a suit.

>91 replies
>25 posters

so this all just OP samefagging, right?

youtube.com/watch?v=l9jkGdNZRec

Here's a live bootleg of Room Service from '75, but they've only ever played this song a couple of times.

There's definitely that one user with the encyclopedic knowledge of Kiss responding to every post because how the fuck can there be more than one guy like that on Sup Forums

>There's definitely that one user with the encyclopedic knowledge of Kiss responding to every post because how the fuck can there be more than one guy like that on Sup Forums

Even one guy like that is too many desu.

nigga you strugglin'

Read the comments. It's a sound check and the guy who recorded it originally posted there and said such.