You said this was scary

You said this was scary

No I didn't

who said it was scary? it's a legit horror film, but it's not a juvenile jump-scare movie. plus, who gets scared at the movies?

Pleb.

No, we said it was atmospheric. Since you don't know what that means, you thought it would be scary.

It's scary like "Repulsion" is scary. Easier if you still have a soul and care about things.

I split this movie in half and marathoned it in two days but i didn't get it

You didn't "marathon" anything if you couldn't watch a 120 minute movie in one sitting.

What does the title card say? "A New England Folktale". It's not meant to be ambiguous or complicated. Think of it like you're being told a story at bedtime or in a classroom. The movie has a very straightforward lesson.

What's the first scene in the movie? William think he's better and more pious than the village counsel, and says he's happy to be banished. This leads directly to his baby being kidnapped. He ignores this and ignores that his wife is beside herself with misery because of his actions.

The movie is mostly a catalogue of his lies and hypocrisy and how his poor example spreads to the rest of the family. He lies constantly, about the cup, about hunting, and encourages also his son to lie, even as he tells him to memorize how his soul is riven with sin. Even his baby is filled with sin, in his mind, yet the sin we witness is his constant hypocrisy.

Things spiral out of control. The children accuse each other, but only because they've learned how to lie for their own safety when convenient, and out of a sense of real danger that their parents will harm them if they're found to be consorting with the devil. They're right to turn on each other! It's only natural in a house as mad as this.

The father dies, killed by Black Phillip. Why does he accept his death? "Corruption, thou art my father".

And so Thomasine, left with nothing, turns to the only source of authority and shelter left to her: the evil present in the house. But they had every chance to turn away from evil, to scorn hypocrisy. They didn't.

So what's the moral of the story? False piety is no substitute for moral substance. Very straightforward, very unambiguous.

literally the devil

i-i-i do.
sometimes

>marathoned it in two days
>one movie
Fucking retard.

And good! It's like laughing at comedies. Subjective but necessary to make it easy to do.

Is this the most shilled horror movie of all time?

how is this a horror film when this didnt invoke the feeling of fear

How do we know it's a comedy when it doesn't make us laugh? Genres reveal themselves through structure and intent.

If I had gone in without expectations, this would have been a decent low budget 'horror' attempt, however I was expecting something great and it sure was not.

Good acting though from all involved, but seriously not the least bit entertaining nor was it scary.

No. Lucifugus Rofocalus is not the devil.

What you're saying is more akin to "How do we know it's a comedy when it isn't humorous?".

Okay? I mean, The Witch is very obviously "invoking the feeling of fear", just as comedies are "humorous"--people's subjective reactions differ, but what is and is not a horror movie or a comedy is usually pretty obvious, and signaled through structure and intent.

thomasin is my gf

*grabs throat*

back off?!!

>Phil offers Thomasin to show the world
>She'll most likely fuck around in the forest her entire life

It was good kino. I don't think it wanted to produce horror, more likely it wanted the viewer to feel helplessness and disgust.

The reason you include a scene of an old woman smearing her skin in the gore of an infant is to "produce horror"

I really liked it, but I'm into puritan stuff anyway.

Thomasin's actress was really good.

More like disgust

we also said you can't bring friends

Or to tell a story and let the audience react however they want.

Scenes aren't made independent of intent--they're created to produce specific reactions. If I write a scene in a comedy where someone has to shit in a sink while wearing a bridesmaid's dress, it's not because I want you to be horrified--I want you to laugh, so I construct the scene that way. Horror movie setpieces are created to "produce horror".

Horror =/= fear.

Thanks for being the personification of everything wrong with cinema.

Yes but the particular scene we're talking about can be interpreted different ways. People could feel fear, disgust, confusion or intrigue towards it - all from the same scene presented the same way.

Anyone could think literally anything about anything. The moron above said the movie didn't "want to produce horror", which is dumb, and that scene is one reason why.

That's pretty smart bro

It's copypasta, some guy posts it in every fucking thread for weeks.

It's still right

To me it was like was watching a naudio visual sin, just felt filthy and disgusting afterwards.

Great movie

It's amazing how horror has come to such shit it is considered as a separate thing from film.
Like when you go to see a horror, the majority of the audience judges the movies completely different from an action/thriller/drama. It's like all the movie elements dissapear and the only measurement of quality of the movie is how many times you got "spooked". It's almost like a ride, not a movie for them.

The studio had to market The Witch as a scare horror movie so more people would see it, and when they actually see it they don't care about the family relations,character development. the production design etc, they just want to get some loud noises after a few seconds of silence every now and then.

It's pretty interesting. And really really sad

That's true of every genre though. Hail the Conquering Hero is an all-time-amazing comedy, but it's constructed very differently than comedies of today and plenty of people wouldn't find it funny. The Witch is horror, but it's horror like Rosemary's Baby, which is different from Friday the 13th or Paranormal Activity. All still horror though.

It invoked a feeling of dread