Fashion is a lie. When you buy and wear a garb to impress...

Fashion is a lie. When you buy and wear a garb to impress, you're lying in a very elaborate way about who and what you are. A fashion item you didn't make could not possibly be an expression of the self as advertisers will pay heaps of money to have you think. The pursuit of fashion is vain, and therefor reserved for the spiritually and morally weak.

Discuss.

Pin unrelated it's mayonnaise.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cISYzA36-ZY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Could not have said it any better myself
Take my bump

Thats some good lookin mayoonnaise.

Also, I like mayo.
>You guessed it, bump

That definition can be used for consumerism

>Discuss.
nothing to discuss, your opinion is your own.

function>fashion, i do agree.

What you own defines who you are. That's the hard red pill user.

>What you own defines who you are.

Nice meme

Most wealthy people irl dont wear expensive clothes because they already embody the lifestyle and status that niggers who buy them pretend to have.

Being economically impoverished is what causes this. People who grow up poor regardless of race are spend like Mozart on pay day. It's psychological not racial.

Grammar is atrocious but there's a lot of data to back this up.

I am defined not by my personality, but by my tesco two stripe trainers

Fashion and style in general are about presenting an interpretation of yourself.
It is a form of non-verbal communication, a physical representation of your inner being.
Some certainly use it to present a false version of themselves, but truly stylish people are able to reflect their personalities in what they wear, and the way they behave.
Those who see fashion as merely functional, and style and fashion as entirely superfluous and artificial are generally those on the autism spectrum who are poor at picking up non-verbal cues.

>It's psychological not racial

chris rock- "a nigga gets a million dollars, it's one big countdown till when that nigga gonna be broke again"

youtube.com/watch?v=cISYzA36-ZY

One of my favorite bits ever. Turns out lots of black have shit for cash. whodathunk?

Just keep telling your self that. People will judge you on how you persent your self. Everyone from an employer to women.

All that for an autism joke? I'm actually impressed. Most of the time it's lazy and hackneyed. Gg.

Don't think I don't know how to game the system. I just realize what most people don't.

>giving a flying fuck what women think after the age of 15

j roc baby
j roc baby
j roc baby
j roc baby
j roc baby
j roc baby

>being 16
I'm sure you do user. You got the nice job and all the women because your such a likable guy.

>I'm sure you do user. You got the nice job and all the women because your such a likable guy.

I do okay

>being 16

i'm 35

No. because I'm also sympathetic to certain types of music that I did not create, but can use it as a means to relate to other people. Same can go for television, books, and hobbies. Why is fashion invalidated as an acceptable field of interests solely because I did not design the material itself? I also do not design video games, but I have certain tastes and appreciate them. How am I not a gamer?

The consumption of media isn't a way to define a person. The measure of a person is their virtues.

two different people but I understand it gets confusing up in here.

Fuck employers, capitalist scum can suck my fake adidas.

Also the kind of woman that judges my entire character on the cloths I wear is the kind of woman I want nothing to do with

Hey OP here. Stop making my side look bad.

>I'm also sympathetic to certain types of music that I did not create

peacocking is not the same as liking a song.

Then it's likely that I would surround myself with material that reflect my virtues.
>dislike flashy apparel
>dress modestly
Does it automatically make me modest? No, but it's certainly a helpful indicator. Fashion isn't inherently inauthentic.
Why do monks bother wearing robes or businessmen suits?

So 90% of women.

>implying that I showboat my musical tastes
Who honestly gives a fuck, but if somebody happens to enjoy it as well, who am I to complain? We may have other common interests.

>Why do monks bother wearing robes or businessmen suits?

i'm blown away that you can't see the difference, even here on Sup Forums

Monks wear garbs in the event that they would need it for warmth. Other than that, the rest is tradition, which is a fallacy.

I know more or less why, though a businessman or monk may have some totally bizarre rationalization for it that I'm completely unaware of by virtue of not being either, but this only further emphasizes my point. I don't dress as a monk or a businessman, so how is my taste in fashion inauthentic?

>tradition is a fallacy
Y
Democracy can be considerate traditional since its structure is preserved via ritual.

wonks wear what they do cuz the minimal is fine

suits wear suits cuz the care about being judged and status, don't get me wrong i would wear a thong and skirt with my balls hanging out to work if it got me a raise, fuck i'm drunk and forgot what i was talking about, have a good day.

Democracy is an attempt at a fairer society than what preceded it. At this point in history though, I would agree it's tradition. A tradition that needs updating for the sake of 21st century science and ethics. People are too stubborn and lazy to make change.

>He's not drunk

Sure but what's inherently wrong with wearing robes to conduct religious ceremonies other than >current year?

I think there's a large difference between the class-separating fashion standards of western society vs wearing the same thing to promote equal treatment.

i'm working on a good piss myself drunk.

This
You guys can keep talking about monks but they litteraly taketake them self out of society as an act of defence to what op said.

Certainly, but that doesn't change the fact that those who do care about how the present themselves can be doing so authentically, whereas OP is trying to paint fashion as inherently deceitful.
I am not trying to give you the impression that I am a cop, so I am not dressing like one.

Haha cheers then

i cant say i disagree. we should all just be wearing cargo pants, a fanny pack and tops appropriate too the weather.however humans are vain, dressing practical isnt always necessary or socially accepted. and for mental health its important to be socially accepted. so ill continue to wear my skinny jeans and tank-tops with artistic designs

>cargo pants

>Skinny jeans
>socially accepted
I'm not sure if that was a joke or not.

whats so funny

/fa/ really need to hear this

That's still kinda bs, even though our decision making process in clothes selection is a lot more superficial since they're more easily replaceable.
Still, I like the color blue, I am wearing a blue shirt. I did not design the color blue or the shirt, but how is me wearing a blue shirt an inauthentic expression for my preference of the color blue?

Go repost it I wanna see them freak.

Have you ever been to Portland Oregon? It's definitely socially accepted there. It feels like half the people I see are wearing them.

cargo pants, and everything you said after as well.

okay

not a joke. maybe its funny to you. but i know half the reason i get pussy is because im a good looking person. this entire thread is just about 5/10 people being mad cause theyre unlucky and have bad genes. its like being mad at people who dont have cancer because they have cancer.

sorry man

Bullshit. You have to wear something, so why not wear something that makes you look good. Every single article of clothing is one kind of fashion or another. You can't wear something that is not some type of fashion

Sup Forums. org/fa/thread/11589644

I don't think it's inauthentic. I just don't think monks are a good example vrs the rest of the capitalistic world. I'll say it again. What you own defines who you are.

Cross-link properly, nigger:

I guess OP was saying that being driven by such self-indulgence leads to a self-destructive society. It's probably just fine to have a few outfits you like.

>this entire thread is just about 5/10 people being mad cause theyre unlucky and have bad genes

>i can tell from posts on Sup Forums

you have the upper hand on life apparently.

i wish you the best.

Used to live in Portland. And Seattle. They dress like shit. If you dress well, you will meet lots of girls.

Just as music, clothing is on of those outlets people use to express themselves. To say that something cannot be an expression of oneself due to them not creating it defeats the very idea of expression.

Hey before you go posting my thread on /fa/ you might want to consider seeing if somebody already posted it (which I did lulz)

I definitely agree. I only said it's socially acceptable there, not that that makes it any better of a fashion choice. Lots of people wear untucked dress shirts buttoned all the way up, flannel shirts, skinny jeans, and all kinds of other shit.

You spelt jeans wrong.

> baby's first nihilist thought

I agree, in principle, always felt like that.
Then one day I bought a suit because I thought people at work would take me more seriously.
It worked - and I also noticed that more beautiful started to take me seriously.
Unfortunately, we live in a superficial world. I wish I could say it was truly is a worthless pursuit, but it's not.
Having nice clothes lends a level of credibility that regular threads won't give you. It's a fact, if an unfortunate one.
Pic also unrelated.
>7x7 get from earlier

*more beautiful women

You guys throw around the word "nihilism" so often, it leads me to believe YOU were the one who just discovered it.

>i will be forgotten

>...

im just interpreting what i read as best i can. im just thinking applying narrow opinions across a wide margin of people is a stupid thing to do. and even more "spiritually and morally weak" than the people he criticizes.

maybe i have an upper hand in some areas of life and a shit hand in other.
the only people who dont have an ego about anything are monks.

Can we talk about the mayonaisse though? It's hands down the best sandwich condiment. Who else is in agreement?

If a poor ugly fat man can win over an attractive woman with his personality, who's to say that I can't win over the world with mine?

> 'you guys'
Who are you talking about? I'm just saying there is nothing to discuss and your post/statement is so obvious it reeks of narcissism

you sound smart.

Op probably made his own origami fedora or something and wants to brag

Congrats, OP. You've just revealed that pretty much any woman is a liar and a whore. Also makeup.

Naw. Subjectively it can be considered pontificating, but in this case, though it is obvious to some, may seem less so to others. I was careful to keep that in mind in my wording.

The best thing about people who were really skinny jeans is how mad they get when you say they look like shit.

IF I MADE AN ORIGAMI HAT IT DEFINITELY WOULDN'T BE A FEDORA, SHIT EATER.

>Subjectively it can be considered pontificating

you sound smart.

Fashion is a code you use to send subliminal messages about yourself. We live in a superficial world, and humans have primal urges to quickly judge people based on their looks and clothes.

If you dress "well", you will attract the attention of other well-dressed people, and they will feel a natural inclination that you are one of them.

This may or may not be desired, but it doesn't have anything to do with "self expression" or "advertisers".

Autists like yourself are legendarily unable to fit in with society. You can't mimic other people's emotional responses, you can't figure out how to match hues and shades of colors, you can never see the difference between a suit from Armani and a suit from Target.

People who rely on cues like this, such as sales, politics, entertainment, management, they all have a better grasp of how to dress to make it easier for them to get what they want.

So if you want to wear some dopey ass shit, be my guest. It makes my life easier, because no one with power will take you seriously.

I always dress as well as my superiors, if only to demonstrate to them that I have that skill. And it is definitely a "skill". If you think you can just buy an expensive suit and you'll be able to pass as normal, that won't work. You need the shirt, the tie, the belt, the shoes, the watch, the haircut, the cufflinks, the pocket square, the briefcase. And you need it day after day.

Or casual days, you need top notch casual clothes. When your boss accidentally runs into you off site, you have to look sharp then too.

Again, this is all a type of language that higher level people use to display their social and business proficiency.

The fact that you can't do it doesn't mean that it isn't a valuable skill. It's like your bitching that you can't play the piano.

tl;dr OP is a fag.

I just use words I know I like painting and I like mayonnaise. I'm pretty overbearing in real like but I'm a pisser.

Fashion is a code you use to send subliminal messages about yourself. We live in a superficial world, and humans have primal urges to quickly judge people based on their looks and clothes.
>If you dress "well", you will attract the attention of other well-dressed people, and they will feel a natural inclination that you are one of them.
>This may or may not be desired, but it doesn't have anything to do with "self expression" or "advertisers".
>Autists like yourself are legendarily unable to fit in with society. You can't mimic other people's emotional responses, you can't figure out how to match hues and shades of colors, you can never see the difference between a suit from Armani and a suit from Target.
>People who rely on cues like this, such as sales, politics, entertainment, management, they all have a better grasp of how to dress to make it easier for them to get what they want.
>So if you want to wear some dopey ass shit, be my guest. It makes my life easier, because no one with power will take you seriously.
>I always dress as well as my superiors, if only to demonstrate to them that I have that skill. And it is definitely a "skill". If you think you can just buy an expensive suit and you'll be able to pass as normal, that won't work. You need the shirt, the tie, the belt, the shoes, the watch, the haircut, the cufflinks, the pocket square, the briefcase. And you need it day after day.
>Or casual days, you need top notch casual clothes. When your boss accidentally runs into you off site, you have to look sharp then too.
>Again, this is all a type of language that higher level people use to display their social and business proficiency.
>The fact that you can't do it doesn't mean that it isn't a valuable skill. It's like your bitching that you can't play the piano.
>tl;dr OP is a fag.

i enjoy you, please post more.

Let's say I'm poor and fashionable. I save money towards purchasing a suite. I then buy that suite and wear it to an event. By you standardising fashion with vanity and immorality, I'm somehow vane and immoral for conforming to social expectations?

Sounds stressful being you.

With all the faggotry and such.

I don't like this grey area where I can't tell if you're mocking me or being genuine through the emotionless medium of text.

So I guess I'll just say fuck you and have a nice day at the same time.

sarcasm? i cant tell
i think that could apply to anyone over anything they wear

That leaves 350 million women.

It's no more stressful for me to dress well than it is for you to eat 3 bags of Cheetos. It's just a natural ability that requires little to no thought.

I just know how to do it. So I do, because it's good for my career.

When my boss is looking for someone to take to a client site, he takes the intelligent well-dressed guy, not the quirky autist who is wearing cargo shorts.

>pontificating
My first year in university, my lecturer explained quite bluntly that if you use pretentious wording, the message you're trying to convey will lose much of it's merit. if you can't explain something in common terms or wording, question yourself if you even have the answer

Only 3 bags? Are you calling me a pussy?

>So I guess I'll just say fuck you and have a nice day at the same time

i think you just learned something. i'm happy about that.

Are you implying that pontificating is a long word?