Tfw too stupid too step outside your musical comfort zone

>tfw too stupid too step outside your musical comfort zone

I've been listening to nothing but 90s indie rock for the past decade now.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=piBqsmYcj0s&index=8&list=PLspTbgnRiTcRS9vxn3mYvUXyC_WpvcA7B
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Just BE yourself dude!

I went through the same thing for the past couple years. Stuck completely within mid-late 2000s indie. Just gotta force yourself to listen to some new stuff.

i know so many people who think they can do it alone

i mean if it's workin for you and you're not hurting to listen to new shit, who cares? do you, don't worry about others

90s indie rock is like GOAT though so what's the problem cuz?

Just branch out into some new genres. You won't like the music at first, but it'll grow on you fast. Like if you want to get into jazz, just type "jazz essential albums" into google, and you'll have your listening material for the next week.

Keep an open mind, but also remember its okay not to like something if it just doesn't appeal to you.

(You) stepped outside

If you can't even move out of something you can do at home by yourself, do you ever leave your house?

>Like if you want to get into jazz, just type "jazz essential albums" into google, and you'll have your listening material for the next week.

I try this with all sorts of different genres but I always get bored and listen to something like Built to Spill instead.

It's not working for me. I'm ashamed of myself.

no better feeling than discovering music that you actually like outside the regular genre you usually listen to

maybe try easing into other genres, like find indie rock-esque bands that draw from influences largely outside the genre and work your way outward from there

could you please recommend some good 90's indie?

my dad won't listen to anything that's not from the 60s,70s and a bit of the 90s. I got him into pearl jam and REM lately

not OP, but a minor forest, swirlies, and versus are some good indie bands from the 90s

Just stick with it is all I can tell you. I've done this a few times myself, so I know it works.
indie rock is a fairly self-contained genre, so I don't know if this would work

This is so true. It's so refreshing to explore a new genre you just discovered.

thanks man, will check out

>I've been listening to nothing but 90s indie rock for the past decade now.
Sounds patrician

Why leave?

how can listening to one genre exclusively be patrician. no matter how good is it you are still having a very narrow grasp of music

>how can listening to one genre exclusively be patrician
indie isn't a genre
>no matter how good is it you are still having a very narrow grasp of music
You mean if you listen to a lot of music, you only listen superficially and graze the surface

Specialization is the key

lol isn't one of the signs of being high intelligence listening to lots of different genres?

Yeah because all the people who say "Oh I listen to everything..." are real intelligent lol

>having no taste makes you intelligent
No

>listening to lots of genres is the same as listening to "everything"

Misdirection

Please address the argument

Your post was a misdirection in itself. Listening to and having an in-depth knowledge of multiple genres is NOT an equivalent to "listening to everything", it's how innovation is made in music. It's how David created Birches Brew, how Dylan made his electric trilogy, how bands like Motorhead created their own style, etc.

>specialization is the key
okay I can somewhat agree with this. It is very good to be an expert in one genre. Although...

>listening music superficially and graze.
It all depends on how much time you spend on listening and on defining how deep you have to dig to 'understand' the genre.

Honestly, I don't think these two exclude.

(Don)

>Listening to and having an in-depth knowledge of multiple genres
Careful not to break your back shifting those goalposts user!
>It's how David created Birches Brew, how Dylan made his electric trilogy, how bands like Motorhead created their own style, etc.
You could argue those artists had a very rudimentary knowledge in other genres. Do you really think John Lennon was an expert in avant-garde
>It all depends on how much time you spend on listening and on defining how deep you have to dig to 'understand' the genre.
This takes so much time that it is not possible, unless you are a professional.

>tfw too scared to listen to anything other than black metal and dungeon synth.

i'd stay there if i were you. things only get worse here on out

are you me?
even tho the "indiest" i've come to listen is built to spill

>You could argue those artists had a very rudimentary knowledge in other genres. Do you really think John Lennon was an expert in avant-garde
No, you really couldn't argue that Dylan had a rudimentary knowledge of folk, blues or rock and roll music and the same is true of Davis with jazz and rock. I admittedly don't know much about Motorhead, I just wanted to name a band instead of another solo artist, but they are credited as one of the first bands to bring certain punk aesthetics to metal. Have at me with that example. Davis and Dylan were both incredibly well-versed in the musics they combined, biographers have noted time and again that Dylan was aware of Robert Johnson a few months before Johnson's ghost suddenly blew up among folk enthusiasts and young rockers. It was Dylan's studying these genres and combining them that helped make his music so successful on an artistic level. I didn't name Lennon as an example because he didn't spring to mind as a successful combiner of two distinct genres, which maybe is because his knowledge of avant garde was rather limited.

> normie is incapable of expanding his horizons naturally

I'd hate to be you user. You'll never experience the pleasures of New Complexity.

youtube.com/watch?v=piBqsmYcj0s&index=8&list=PLspTbgnRiTcRS9vxn3mYvUXyC_WpvcA7B

Well that's a tough one because Built to Spill is god-tier, you've already reached peak music.

>you really couldn't argue that Dylan had a rudimentary knowledge of
Avant-garde, experimental, prog, and jazz?
>Motorhead, I just wanted to name a band instead of another solo artist, but they are credited as one of the first bands to bring certain punk aesthetics to metal
They have literally been remaking "Ace of Spades" for decades. Lemmy even admitted it. Look it up
>Davis and Dylan were both incredibly well-versed in the musics they combined,
Goalpost shifting
>I didn't name Lennon as an example because he didn't spring to mind as a successful combiner of two distinct genres
Wow you really don't know anything about music history, do you?

I was obviously talking about Dylan combining folk, blues and rock. Those other genres are irrelevant.
>Wow you really don't know anything about music history, do you?
If you're talking about what Lennon did with the Beatles, that was hardly avant-garde and even so, most of those the techniques that were applied were done so by McCartney. If you're talking about what Lennon and his second wife did, even he considered those attempts at avant-garde failures and said as much in later interviews.

And the Ace of Spades itself is still a combination of two different styles, so that doesn't negate the point I was making.

>tfw turning 25 in a week and can't find any new music that I like

Feels really bad man. I liked rock and guitar music generally and there's no good stuff left. I'm stuck listening to old shit like an old man

At least branch out to late 80s indie rock dude

>Those other genres are irrelevant.
They are relevant, because that's what we are talking about. Didn't you read the thread?
>If you're talking about what Lennon did with the Beatles, that was hardly avant-garde and even so, most of those the techniques that were applied were done so by McCartney
Show me 60 examples of it that predated the Beatles.
Two genres that are related anyways? Not much a stretch, is it?

>indie rock is a fairly self-contained genre,
this couldn't be further from the truth. if you're talking about 90's indie rock branch out into post-hardcore, shoegaze, etc. if you're talking about modern indie rock there are so many bands doing hybrids of different genres that you'd have easy access points between them if you find particular elements you like. check out the genre tags and charts on rateyourmusic, i find them to be the most accurate.

>This takes so much time that it is not possible, unless you are a professional.
or unless you have a lifetime over which to listen to music....

>or unless you have a lifetime over which to listen to music
Do you? You essentially only have 7 years.

why only 7 ?

Well you generally don't have the capacity to understand music correctly until 22 or so; by 29 you will be focused on real life concerns.