Buttrock. What exactly does this mean...

Buttrock. What exactly does this mean? I hear the term used all the time but I can't figure out exactly what it's referring to.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZLk75fFXqH4
m.youtube.com/watch?v=RL7lEe36MYs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Creed, Nickelback, Pearl Jam, Smash Mouth, that kind of thing

post-grunge

Just kind of stupid sounding rock with deep guttural voices and big fat stupid ugly riffs.

SOMEBODY

Rock music I don't like

The term goes back well before Nickelback desu. It was used originally during the grunge era to refer to 80s hairspray rock which by 1992-93 had become the epitome of uncool and embarrassing to listen to. It was all like "Yeah, Pearl Jam and Smashing Pumpkins. They sing about real, deep, angsty serious stuff not like those buttrockers in Def Leppard who only sing about girls and partying. Fucking poseurs."

the buttrock meme is long dead, it's over a year old.
other than that, it basically refers to the hypermasculine pop-rock music you hear on radio stations which make promises like "for the next hour nothing but(t) rock", which is where the name originated.

listen to this and consider it in the context of female fronted, feminine pop music:
youtube.com/watch?v=ZLk75fFXqH4

notice the predominant fantasy element and how, instead of resolving issues with sexuality, it's resolved by using masculinity and anger.

Basically any dumb, cheesy, commercialized stadium rock that's usually a watered-down cariacture of actual good, innovative bands. The first buttrock band was probably the Doobie Brothers who set the mould for a whole string of 70s buttrockers like Styx, Montrose, UFO, Foghat, REO Speedwagon, and Kansas.

In the 80s, buttrock encompassed all the hairspray metal from Motley Crue to Quiet Riot to Def Leppard and so on. In the 90s it referred to bands like Ace of Base and Hootie and the Blowfish, by the 2000s Nickelback and Staind.

don't you mean Led Zeppelin were the original buttrock band?

>LZ
>not innovative

No although they did inspire a lot of buttrock. Having said that, it is pretty easy to pinpoint the Doobie Brothers as the ancestral corporate rock band from which all others descended. Music that was completely bland, harmless, geared for the radio, and which wouldn't offend your grandma. It's pretty easy to tell what bands were butt/corporate rock because they were the type that always ended up 15-20 years down the road playing at the county fair in front of about 20 nostalgic middle aged men, and you'd be all like "Wow, is Nazareth still around? Man, that takes me back."

Also if Christgau shit on it, it's probably buttrock.

While there are some varying opinions here, I think we can agree on the following criteria:

All butt-rock, regardless of era, is 4/4 timing. The moment something gets a little prog or mathy, it categorically can't be butt-rock.

eh? Christgau loves the New York Dolls and Ramones who were both proto-buttrock.

>implying Tool isn't butt prog

Styx and Kansas were also buttprog. In fact all American prog is buttprog because only Europeans can get the genre right.

Ahem
m.youtube.com/watch?v=RL7lEe36MYs

Again, those bands weren't buttrock, they actually did edgy, groundbreaking stuff for their day. But they of course did inspire a lot of corporate rock.

Any rock I don't like.

RHCP are a good example of buttrock.

this

Puddle of Mudd are archetypal buttrock
Even down to the shitty name

Bottrock is, essentially, post-grunge hard rock (borderline metal but not completely there) that appeals mainly to teenagers and white trash.

cockrock is rock inspired by KISS, and/or van halen
buttrock is rock inspired by pearl jam

learn the difference. it could save your life

t. pretentious indie is
lmaoing @ ur taste right now