The Nice Guys

Anyone else see this today? In my opinion its Shane Black's best film. Some little pacing issues here and there, but everything else was on point.

Why didn't you post in the existing thread?
Are you a fucking newfag that doesn't know how to use the catalog? If so, you need to lurk more and understand board etiquette before you post, you cancerous newfag. Or are you shitposter that just enjoys filling the catalog with redundant threads? If so, you are a cuck faggot and should kill yourself immediately.

You need psychiatric help or an uppage in your medication.
Reasonable, intelligent people will see the time stamps, and know that you're just advertising your own thread.

Calm down, user.

ywn pinky promise with this qt jdimsa

More like: Reasonable, intelligent people will see the time stamps, and know that OP is just a shill creating multiple redundant threads for shilling purposes.

I'm a sucker for a good neo-noir. It's a fascinating genre that tends to be stylish as hell, and usually has good characters and a meandering, usually pointless plot. One of the most widely acclaimed films in the genre is Shane Black's Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, a mystery comedy about a criminal turned actor (Robert Downey Jr.) and a gay detective (Val Kilmer) solving a murder in Hollywood that snowballs into uncovering a massive conspiracy.

Black returns to a similar format here, with the criminal and detective roles being filled by a no-nonsense bruiser (Russell Crowe) and an alcoholic coward of a detective (Ryan Gosling). The time changes (this is set in 1977) but Black's signature snappy dialogue and the basic plot stays the same: The two are paired together in classic buddy-cop style to find a missing girl who's been involved in some shady stuff.

When the film goes for being a straight comedy, it works beautifully. Gosling and Crowe have some pretty great chemistry, and it's fun to see how they react to the convoluted situations they find themselves in. Props should also be given to Black's script, which moves along in unexpected ways that hold your attention. True to noir form, the mystery unravels through bits and pieces that don't quite come together until the end.

Unfortunately, this doesn't stay in comedy mode the entire time. The attempts to add some drama and pathos feel forced, and while they could be effective they're placed right in between some pretty fantastic comedic moments. As a result, the shifts in tone are jarring and unnecessary.

Despite the tonal inconsistency, the movie manages to tie together a winding plot and interesting characters together in a clever retro-styled mystery.

7/10, good time at the theater.

You're the third IP in this thread, which means you are either or .

And waifuists aren't trollish assholes. Fuck off.

I bought my tickets yesterday... I'm pretty hyped.

>And waifuists aren't trollish assholes.
I'm with you buddy and I respect you making a new thread (hard to get a word in edgewise when the old thread's past about 50 posts unless you were already actively involved in a discussion) but waifuists are ONLY trollish assholes. Exclusively.

>Props should also be given to Black's script, which moves along in unexpected ways that hold your attention.
That's the beauty of Black's scripts, actually. People are so used to action movies abusing plot to get to the end goal, Black ALWAYS explores the consequence of action.

I won't go into detail, but there's a TON of little moments that not only explain action/reaction, but the movie itself is very fatalistic. That's what makes a good action movie in my mind.

Notice how Blue Man's blueness just devolved over time? Attention to detail. That's what makes the movie.

I disagree about the drama feeling forced though. The movie itself always felt, to me, like these two [three, actually, Holly was incredible] characters and their priorities, their motivations, their interests, only. It's why they kind of shrug sometimes and say "Well fuck, let's move on."

Really? Link it. I took a look at the catalogue, did a word search for certain keywords applying to the film, and didn't see anything.

And, actually, all I see is my thread and another one that's on page...8. Well I must have missed the active one, and that one will fall off soon anyways, as no one has posted in it.

Obvious shill threads

>pointing out the name of the director
>must be a shill

Are you literally fucking retarded

It just felt like when they'd try and shoehorn in an emotional moment (see: Healy talking to Holly after the Diner story) it feels unnatural.

Diner story itself was a great character-building moment for Healy. Holly's story about the house burning down felt too dramatic in context.

I was just saying I agree with the decision to make a new thread.

>Diner story itself was a great character-building moment for Healy
Something that really bothered me about Healy was his lack of character. A stone-faced, hard-broiled character thoroughout, but there's so much fucking personality in the last two minutes of the movie that's just not present anywhere else.

The house burning down was perfect imo. Provides a LOT of context for Holland's character. A lot of the movie makes a lot more sense when you realize he's borderline suicidal.

But that's spoiler territory.

Actually user that was my thread and boy did it go away quick

I guess so.

Also the Hotel Elevator scene was fucking hilarious. You see all of it in the trailers, but when it's actually played out in full it's so much funnier.
>Goose getting noticeably more anxious
Fucking hell that was amazing.

Yeah it was perfectly placed within the movie. All that momentum of being knights to save the day replaced with "Oh, no, fuck that."

Also, in the same scene Amelia being knocked out from the kickback of a Beretta, likely from exhaustion, and the fact that she's weighs probably 100 lbs and has never used a weapon before. Which begs the question...who the hell killed the producer?

Major spoilers here. Well not major, but this is a movie you want to go in blind. Do not mouse over if you're going to see it anytime soon.

The dude falling out of the window was pretty great.

Also
>I offered to show 'em my dick...'cuz I got a big dick.

>You wanna see my dick?

That was so fucking unexpected, it was fantastic. No spoilers but when it shows up it's amazing.

The audience I saw it with didn't know how to react. I didn't either. it was fucking perfect.

My favorite scene might have been when holland finds the body and hes's so drunk and shocked he can't call out Healy's name.

I'm willing to guess that it was bowl-cut Tom Cruise, took him out back during the party and blew his face off because he wouldn't give him info on Amelia.

The fucking wheezing and pointing killed me.

>"He's got no balls, he's a Munich."
>"He's a EUNUCH. Munich is in Germany."

Likely. What actually annoys me is WAS he actually an actor who just sidelined as an assassin? It's fucking L.A., I know, it's incredibly possible, and it's heavily implied as such, but I wanted closure on that.

>"You know who else was just following orders? HITLER."

I fucking lost it. Gosling's delivery of that line was absolutely perfect.

And the callback later. Perfect.

Speaking of Germany, the running Hitler gag was pretty great.

Kiss kosa bang bang was better but this was good too.

When Jonboy comes to the house and Judith stArts talking about Jonboy from the Walton's and talks about him having a hockey puck on his face then noticing that Jonboy also had a mole like the guy from the Waltons leading him to believe they were talking about him. Good stuff

I feel like the movie would be vastly inproved on a second watch (while high).

I really don't think it's better. Kiss Kiss got too lost within the twin plot, it was really messy, and i think even Black said it was rushed and not properly thought through.

I watched Kiss Kiss recently, in preparation, and Nice Guys is just a better version of that. Kilmer was a better Healy, but Gosling fucking killed it.

>good time at the theater
>I'm pretty hyped
>the movie itself is very fatalistic
>fucking hilarious
>Fucking hell that was amazing
>it's amazing
>it was fucking perfect
>absolutely perfect
>Perfect
>pretty great
>this was good too
>Good stuff

Totally not a shill thread guys, honestly. I swear this isn't a shill thread.

>people really enjoyed the movie
>must be shills

>people enjoy anything
>must be shills

schizoid take your pills

Started off great, got progressively shittier as time went on. Most of the jokes fell flat, although some were pretty great. The kid was an annoying cunt. 4/10 solely because of Gosling desu

>schizoid

Shut the fuck up.

Probably, yeah. The Amelia stuff might seem a bit weird [especially concerning her first contracting of Healy], but I imagine there's a ton of subtext to be wrought.

BASED GOOSE

Goose has fucking ascended at this point. Praise him.

All I can say is "WOW"! Words can't express how much I enjoyed reading your posts. I especially liked the part where you use green text, absolutely hilarious. Overall 9/10, I felt these posts were damn near perfect, money well spent!

Fuck you, filthy fucking niggerfaggot

Jesus shut the fuck up. People are allowed to enjoy movies.

>they made fun of my husbando, Hitler

Genuinely the best performance of Gosling's career so far.

>Gosling and Crowe have some pretty great chemistry, and it's fun to see how they react to the convoluted situations they find themselves in

I've seen a few interviews with Crowe and Gosling and they seem to really get along and bounce off of each other. Not surprised to hear they are good on screen together.

KINO

Such an odd paring, but it really works.

Shane Black can do no wrong (although many will make a case for Iron Man 3)

Yeah I really stopped seeing him as Gosling after a short while. Idk about best performance, but after his last SNL appearence, where he nailed every bit, I'm really happy to see him get to go full comedy like this, because he is very capable.

If you've seen these interviews you should see the movie??

Definitely. They really nail the chemistry right from the beginning.

I just saw it last night and I thought it was pretty fucking great.

Plus, Gosling's daughter in the movie is qt as fuck.

its not his fault the studio intervened with his ideas

She seems like she has a great career ahead of her.

Did they ever establish how old Holly was? I mean she was driving, so I think she is 18? Please say she is 18. Please

>tfw no Harry, Gay Perry, Healy, and Holland movie mashup

It was pretty great. I forgot how nice it is to see a decent action/comedy that isn't fucking capeshit, for a change.

Which duo was better?

There's a line in the movie where she pleads with Russell Crowe's character not to kill John Boy. He complies, knocks him the fuck out, and says something along the lines of "You just got your life saved by a 13 year old".

I guess it would be appropriate for her to drive at a young age, because it's been established that Gosling's character had a major drinking problem. Therefore, he would need a designated driver.

Never knew Goose had a knack for physical comedy.

Holly's No-Kill rule, while it makes sense for a girl her age, is really annoying.

Ever since people lost their shit over the end of MoS. and everyone started making such a big deal about it, any time a movie has someone preaching a No-Kill Rule, I roll my eyes.

A comedy that isn't DUDE WEED LMAO is also pretty great.

Yes, that, too. Cinema seems so stagnant this past few years.

Just got back from seeing it. 9/10

I loved it, Gosling is really rebounding after how much shit Lost River got

It's the 70s, having your teenage kid driving you around, while frowned upon, wasn't something that would have you arrested and your kid taken away

I thought the entire gag was that she was like 13 but had to drive her dad around because he was drunk all the time

Yes that is the gag

Bretty good movie, solid 7/10. The chemistry was unexpected but really worked, only problem was that the script didn't let them breathe and improv which made it feel a bit conservative

I tried to watch it tonight, but our theater fucked up.

>Trailers looped so we watched 30 minutes of advertisements
>Projector crashed so that we had 15 minutes of black screen
>The wrong movie came on and I ended up watching the first 5 minutes of Neighbors 2

Somehow, this fat jew managed to ruin a movie experience that he wasn't even supposed to be a part of.

Ironic since the wrong movie playing is how they won

Did they at least give you your money back?

Yes. They supposedly got it working again, but I walked out anyway.

The experience was tainted, and I knew I was going to be too pissed off to properly enjoy by then.

how long was my waifu in this for?

She probably only gets a total of 15 minutes in the movie or something.

prob. 20-25 mins she was shown in very small parts spread out the whole movie

:,(

better be a good 15

[spoilers]Her death scene was fucking lulzy.[/spoilers]

mf messed up the spoilers

That whole sequence was great.

great,now i have to see this.