Social Justice and Film Criticism

The ride never ends.

Have we seen an end to the politically impartial review?

Pretty much, they are showing their true colors, especially the film reviewers posted here

London Has Fallen, Neon Demon, they don't bask of diversity and progressiveness so the liberals and leftists pounce on it to deride it and name-drop Donald Trump somewhere in the review no matter how out of place it is because he's their boogeyman.

Spy was legitimately funny tbqf. Not 94%-worthy but definitely a solid comedic flick.

>everything I don't like is Hitler

LONDON HAS FALLEN is shit even removed from a political point of view though

one of the most visually incoherent action films i've ever seen

>attractive females is misogyny

Okay but the problem is all those reviewers can't help but review it with a political narrative in mind, that being of leftism and progressiveness so this movie might as well be a "Nuremberg Nazy rally to them"

now I wanna watch it more

Second one is from her review of BvS, not Neon Demon.

Why are they either aging white women or weak-sounding white men?

stop using RT for ratings and use Filmaffinity

Daily reminder that Refn is literally r/movies the ""director""

that makes a bit more sense I guess, in that her calling it fascist, cause that seems to spring out of nowhere

have you actually seen it? it's legitimately racist. I wouldn't go so far as to compare it to a Nazi rally, but it's pretty disgusting. this is coming from a fairly reasonable person who has actually never been offended by a film, too.

Fuck off nu-male

>>>/reddit/

Still doesn't make sense applied to BvS.

She also thought Angry Brids was a men's rights activist film.

Go buck to fuckheadistan.

>Still doesn't make sense applied to BvS.

I know, she must be one bitter fuck. All these RT reviewers must be, and they can't go a single problematic film without mentioning the Don, they must have issues.

lol not even close

i couldn't give less of a fuck about muhsogny or perceived racism in films

i do draw the line at a film that's intended to entertain but stars what is essentially a psychotic, paranoid xenophobe who takes pleasure from torturing people

It's honestly disgusting, for a variety of reasons.

A film reviewer's primary goal should be to analyze and evaluate the content of the movie, that is to say the narrative, plot, and story, along with characters and pacing, while also looking at the form, which would be the style and aesthetic of the film, from the color pallete to the choice in music, to a number of other factors that define the visual and auditory elements of the film.

Instead, for some reason that I won't go into, a large majority of reviewers hosted on these aggregate websites seem to only focus on the topical political message, whether there is one within the film, or whether they invent one that ISN'T in the film. So instead of understanding and appreciating the form and content that make the movie what it is, all the reader is left with is the reviewer's view of their bias in regards to an imagined political message.

One of the most heartbreaking parts is that these so-called "reviewers" have no formal, and barely an informal, education on the subject of movies, so all they can talk about is their FotM political motivations.

What makes this all so dangerous is that these uneducated people have influence, at least when their reviews fly under the banner of RT. A movie reviewers should be able to write a number of essays on a variety of subjects regarding their favorite films, but reading some of the selections from these assorted names, I'm honestly surprised they can shit out these tone-deaf bylines.

We need to bring back the rotten tomatoes comment section.

Does anyone remember when movie it was that forced them to remove it? I get the feeling it was probably a Nolan flick.
I remember one particularly funny response to a negative Scott Pilgrim review.

You must not be American

i am, actually. born in New York. live in Maine.

>*sob*

>a large majority of reviewers hosted on these aggregate websites seem to only focus on the topical political message, whether there is one within the film, or whether they invent one that ISN'T in the film. So instead of understanding and appreciating the form and content that make the movie what it is, all the reader is left with is the reviewer's view of their bias in regards to an imagined political message.

Well said, its the same with videogame reviews these days too. A cursory glance into the mechanics and story of a game and then the paragraph long explanation for why its problematic for not including non-white characters or whatever other bullshit.

I'm sick of it, all media seems to be infested with this mindset.

Refn is shit now, Only God Forgives was absolute garbage well it looked pretty but thats it

I can't wait for Ghostbusters

check your politics at the door pls

Are you one of those cucks who, when characters in a movie act racist (or any other -ist), you cry that the movie itself is racist?

Tell that to Rotten Tomatoes

no, because i'm not a moron and i can distinguish between the intended message or argument of a film and what the characters do and say

London Has Fallen is shit by any metric, what are you even on about?

I fucking can't stand Chrysti Lemire. She's the host of WhatTheflick

Underrated post

sounds like something I'd enjoy
funnily enough this review has been the most helpful, I'm definitely watching this now

The point is you should try arguing that point in some other fashion than shouting, "DAS RAYCISS!"

same

It seems like a lot of reviewers are hating on the film for featuring only attractive women.

Letting their jealousy impact their review process.

>the Ghostbusters reviews
will be interesting

delete this

Ok, let's try some role reversal here. Let's say there was an Abraham Lincoln biopic starring Idris Elba. Would you think that was kind of dumb? Would it be out of line for a reviewer to say that was dumb?

The biggest problem with RT is that assigning a percentage and score to a film is purely a "review" metric, however most of the people the site aggregates don't review films, but instead try to do critiques. The worst part is that most of these "critics" lack the knowledge and ability to actually critique films, so instead they just focus on their extremely limited political hot-topics and shoehorn them on every film that challenges (intentionally or not) their fragile identities.

All that thin women. Of course fat women in their middle age who review films will hate this

>Johanson

the eternal Swedecuck strikes again

That would be dangerous.

That's a horrible analogy.

Hollywood has been hiring black actors for white characters for years now. Nobody gives a shit. And if they did, they wouldn't type 500 words on how they're beyond triggered while completely ignoring the point of a review.

If anything, London Has Fallen makes the point that drone striking randies in the middle east is a bad idea

Bro, I have news for you: we have pictures of Abraham Lincoln and he's not black.

It's sickening.

except that they end the movie by drone striking the same people, which is portrayed as a heroic, postive ending

Wow, thats another movie I want to see.

This woman has terrible taste in movies, she should just stop, I'm sensing major jealously and victim complex in each of her reviews.

No surprise there.

Yeah there's no possible way Captain Autism could make a 5th consecutive shitty movie.

See They're not interested in the film for the films sake.

Guess her parents gave her a bad review by giving her the most generic 1950s female name possible

Honest question: do you consider Birth of a Nation to be racist?

If yes, then you judge movies based on your "progressive" view of the world, and not on their value.

It woulb be nice if there was a aggregate rating site that factored out female reviews.

Woman are truly incapable of processing stimuli through any prism beyond how it instinctively makes them feel.

female and beta nu-male reviews too

Reminder that Refn loves, loves, loves women (he considers them far superior to men and has said many times that he wants to be one, in fact he even said that this movie is him pretending to be a teenage girl today (technically y-day but whatever) at the press conference) and that the reason that this film is so heavily criticized is because the dialogue and characters are literally The Room-tier.

t. saw it on thursday

for my mother

take a listen to the intro monologue of Bret Easton Ellis' podcast with Tarantino, he says it all
idealogical vs aesthetic viewpoints

>drive
>bronsone
>shitty
Nice meme, loser. I personally do not think that neither Valhalla Rising or OGF are shit, but that point is a lot easier argued, but with Bronson and Drive, they are pretty well regarded as great movies, that only contrarian memers like you dislike.

The President of the USA has been black many times before Obama was around in fiction

Then Neon Demon is absolutely my movie, I feel the same way kinda, not that I want to become some tranny freak because I'm not stupid, but if I could do it instantly and flawlessly like by taking some pill I probably would, women- beautiful women are fucking amazing and who wouldn't want to be one if they could?

I have a feeling this movie is going to be popular with sissies and lovers of women alike.

In other news Egyptians don't look like Australians. What's your point?

>people bitch about no blacks in medieval europe movie
>4chins laughs at them and cites historical accuracy of medieval europe

>people bitch about no egyptians in egyptian movie
>KEEP YOUR POLITICS OUT OF MY REVIEWS

Refn frustrates me. He really has what it takes to be a great director, but first he just needs to accept that he's an awful screenwriter.

>lolita fantasy
What does this mean?

Since reviews are OPINIONS, the opinion of the writer will always shine through.
What you need to do is read different reviews from different sources which you know holds different political views.

It's the same as with any news article, or rumour, or anything.

Sauce, bitch. Sauce.

18 is the new 16

i've never watched it.

yes
time to think for yourselves

>egyptian actors

Egyptians who are good actors and can speak English well aren't exactly in huge supply in Hollywood

>watching Troy for the first time
WHY THE FUCK IS BRAD PITT PLAYING ACHILLES

ACHILLES IS GREEK NOT AMERICAN

I AM SO FUCKING TRIGGERED

>then Orlando Bloom comes in
>he's Paris
OH MY FUCKING GOD I AM EVEN MORE TRIGGERED
MORE FUCKING AMERICANWASHING

Why is this even on your hard drive f@m? It's so incredibly specific and situational. How long have you been sitting on this? What else you got in the vault?

>t. newfag

mate its 60kb on a single 1tb HDD, of which I have 6.

I'm not sweating for extra drive space

>It's so incredibly specific and situational
Not really, it's great for any sort of SJW/retarded leftist/politically correct thread

It means you're a pedo.

/r/ING THAT PIC OF RAMI DRESSED AS A PHARAOH SAYING "FOUND ME SOME GOLD HERE SLEDGEHAMMAH"

Yes, I look for my action movies to be politically correct at all times. Oh wait...

Didn't a paki directed London Has Fallen

You hit the nail on the head.

Misogyny and racism are not positive things.

Anyone who hates this film is surely a misogynist of the highest order.

his fucking face

>thousands of movies with terrible things happening to men
>nobody bats an eye
>woman gets raped or treated like an object
>everyone explodes in fury

Also, showing something doesn't mean you condone it. Making a movie with characters that treat women terribly or are racist doesn't mean you (the creator) support the viewpoints and actions of these characters.

I agree, how can you hate a film all about women?

Only if you were jealous of their beauty I guess.

Dammit Sup Forums. Why must you always be right?

>movie passes the bechdel test
>feminists and nu-males still bitch about it

The synopsis doesn't give to many details but it seems to be about older women stealing young women's energy.

>Plot[edit]
>Jesse (Elle Fanning), an aspiring model, moves to Los Angeles, where she is recruited by a fashion mogul (Alessandro Nivola) as his muse. Upon entering the city's modeling industry, she finds that her vitality and youth are devoured by a group of beauty-obsessed women who will use any means to get what she has.

Can't please 'em, ain't worth trying.

That's so hot in a way, will be fun to imagine being in her position.

Terrible stuff like what?
Rape is worse than murder.
How come the terrible thing to happen to women is always rape?

Another libcuck getting all cranky because nobody wants to misogynise his anus.

that robot wasn't a damsel, she was programmed to be manipulative.

this fucking bitch. i hate her.

i hate all bloggers.

I know you are baiting, but the fact that some people will argue that rape is worse than murder shows how moronic we have become as a society.

No wonder middle aged feminists reviewers hate this film. Its too close to home.

They only look at movies on the surface, and the instant they see anything problematic they will only focus on that.

>21:21:21

Time align doesn't lie.