Now that the dust has settled, who was actually better, the Beatles or the Beach Boys?

Now that the dust has settled, who was actually better, the Beatles or the Beach Boys?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0b6inZfiGrw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I prefer Beach Boys

Hard to say
Pet sounds is clearly one of the greatest albums ever made. but the beatles changed music forever

After that lovely picture, the Beach Boys no doubt

The Beatles are more consistently amazing but the Beach Boys have several albums better than the Beatles

Pleb: The Beatles
Contrarian: The Beach Boys
Patrician: The Beatles

Sad how that cat will probably outlive Brian

sad how this chicken will probably outlive brian :/

The Beach Boys had one solid album. But it was better than any Beatles album.

I really like both, but if you don't say The Beatles then you are just being a contrarian. Even Brian would say The Beatles were better.

Smile and Pet Sounds are two albums ya dingleberry

I prefer Beach Boys but I'm also a contrarian. I recognize that maybe The Beatles were more diverse and creative, but I like "mom-songs" and am more of a Paul kinda guy.

Plus Pet Sounds is better than any Beatles album.

Everything about this post is wrong.

Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!), Today!, Pet Sounds, SMiLE, Smiley Smile, Wild Honey, Sunflower, Surf's Up are all more than solid.

and they have loads more "good" albums.

Brian was so cute

will there ever be another artist as qt as brian?

Beatles released good music with better consistency but Pet Sounds is better than anything the Beatles ever put out.

That said, I prefer the Beach Boys.

I think with the Beach Boys music vs the Beatles early music (1963 and 1964) the Beach Boys win, but it's difficult to compare the Beatles later music because it's in such a different style.
On a personal level, I love the Beatles in a way where I could listen to them for hours unlike the Beach Boys, but the Beatles haven't made me feel like the Beach Boys have.
I've literally cried to every song on Pet Sounds, and if you haven't, your not a real Beach Boys fan

never really understood the 'battle' between the two.

McCartney has gone on to say that Pet Sounds is his favourite album and really influenced him. When it came out The Beatles were like SHIT! WE'RE NEVER GONNA WRITE ANYTHING THAT GOOD!!!!

and then when Sgt. Peppers came out Brian Wilson was like SHIT!!!! I'M NEVER GONNA WRITE ANYTHING THAT GOOD!!!!

there's a mutual respect between the two

The problem with the comparison is that The Beatles were at least three songwriters, along with the orchestrations of George Martin; where Brian wrote all the songs of the Beach Boys. Compared to any single Beatle, Brian was better, but band-for-band, and along with Brian's breakdown, the Beatles outran them.

so true. the beach boys were great because brian was a genius, while the beatles were great because john/paul were made for each other

:'(

Brian didnt write every single song though. That is objectively false.

Heart breaking man....

That dog is dead by now....

Dann

these pets no longer make sounds

No, but he wrote the vast majority of their songs that are worth mentioning. Dennis was pretty good though. I mean, Forever is just beautiful.

>Smile
You mean Smiley Smile, and no it wasn't better

Their former manager Jack Reilly said of the Beatles vs. The Beach Boys:

>"I will be blunt. The Beatles were focused, strategic, professional and well led during the years of their mounting ascendancy in critical and commercial acclaim. John Lennon and Paul McCartney, the creators, spoke the same "line" as did George Harrison and Ringo Starr. There was true career direction, which the group followed carefully. During that same period The Beach Boys were divided, unprofessional and horrendously led. Brian Wilson, the creator, had the respect of his brothers but not of the others in his band nor of their manager. The brothers spoke one "line" while Love, Jardine, an emerging Johnston and Murry Wilson spouted another. There was no career direction to speak of and chaos reigned. Tragically, the same parameters held true during most but not all of the group's career. An exception, I contend, was during the period in which I guided their career direction. To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public."

So, as much as I love the Beach Boys, I'm gonna have to go with The Beatles

we come to this conclusion every time yet this thread is still posted 3x a week

total bollocks, Brian had already given up on life by the release of Sgt Peppers, if he hadn't had a mental breakdown the Beatles would have got eternally BTFO by Smile

tragedy is always more interesting, if anything that quote is proof the Beach Boys are better

You know what I mean you moron.

lennon was a hack

Non argument

what the fuck is he doing to that cat gross

The Beatles > The Beach Boys
Brian Wilson > The Beatles

There was both the original smiley smile, then the recent smile. Smiley smile is a lot better. It's too late for Brian to be able to pull off a good album, he can't save any of his old ideas. Smiley smile was just a concept album desu, but it's still amazing.

>Smiley smile was just a concept album desu
No it wasn't you buffoon

>chicken
lol

Friendo :)

Why are The Rolling Stones never part of this conversation? Legit question. They are the same era, aren't they?

Hello :)

ah yes might as well lump in TVU in there too, then

not! the beatles and the beach boys both made psych pop at their peaks, so it's relevant to compare them

Non argument

I sincerely believe Smile would have been a game changer. Smiley Smile doesnt compare and I dont see how anyone can prefer it to the original.

If tragedy means that we will never get Smile, then I don't want tragedy.

The closest you're going to get to Smile is Brian Wilson's release, and the collectors edition that came out with the backing tracks and acapellas and whatnot.

Smiley Smile is GARBAGE compared to Brian Wilson's SMiLE. Are you fucking kidding me mate?

Yes it was. They were just incomplete ideas which Brian had for an album. They weren't revised up to the standard of the idealisation that he had conceived. He started getting really fucked up on drugs around this time and the disappointment in the number of sales of Pet Sounds got to him and the others. Smiley smile is a terrific album, but it's incomplete and unrefined; this is why Brian tried to approach it again when his mental health got better.

The Stones

Smile feels overly produced in a modernly artificial sense. It lacks the magic of his early albums.

I don't think you understand what Smiley Smile is...SMiLE was far too theatric and experimental for the rest of the band, they kicked it to the curb because of Mike Love's jealousy of Park Van Dyke and the failed selling of Pet Sounds. They figured SMiLE would sell like shit as well, and add on top of that Brian's mental decline, the rest of the band decided to take some of the "hits" from SMiLE and introduce them into a more formulaic and "rock" oriented sound. Don't get me wrong, there are some good songs on Smiley Smile. But as an album? It isn't good bro. And to sit there and say Smiley Smile is better than SMiLE is a joke.

SMiLE is one of the most consistent and cohesive albums ever recorded. Smiley Smile, as you said sounds unfinished and unrefined. Like they stopped half way through mixing and mastering or even WRITING and said "Yeah this is good enough."

At least Brian Wilson presents SMiLE was far more complete, and cohesive. Hell, even the original recordings they had for SMiLE that never got officially released until decades later is far more phenomenal than anything Smiley Smile tried to be.

I will admit, Brian Wilson present's SMiLE lacks some of the magic of the original.

Are you referring to the ORIGINAL recordings of SMiLE when you say Smiley Smile? Because Smiley Smile is an entirely different album.

I'm referring to Smiley Smile when I say Smiley Smile. The album after Pet Sounds from 67.

You genuinely believe that is a better album than SMiLE?

Smiley Smile is not formulaic at all, what the fuck are you on?

you forgot Love You

If they had recorded Brian's current complete ideas for Smile back when Smiley Smile was being recorded, then yeah it obviously would have beat the 1967 album we have today. But if you listen to both albums and honestly prefer Smile then you're just tone deaf bud'

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha this is fucking bait.

I genuinely enjoy it more. Musically speaking Smile is more developed, but it's too late for that to matter. For me Smile is just a flirtation of what could have been instead of Smiley Smile.

>responding with a fallacy
Heh

A lot of the songs that AREN'T formulaic are from SMiLE. Songs like She's Goin' Bald, Gettin' Hungry, Little Pad, Good Vibrations, are pretty damn formulaic. Granted, they're less so than their earlier albums, but they're far more formulaic than what was originally intended to be on SMiLE.

That's not to say formulaic music is bad, but SMiLE as a whole, even if it was released decades later, is far better than Smiley Smile. It doesn't matter if Smiley Smile was released first. SMilE was still recorded, tracks were still mixed, the songs still were written. And they're better, as a whole cohesive album, than Smiley Smile. Again, Smiley Smile has some great songs but as an album it's weak.

You know, I feel like I think this sometimes but then I listen to albums like Summer Days (And Summer Nights) , Shut Down Vol. 2, Surf's Up, Wild Honey, Smile, Smiley Smile and I'm reminded that I'm wrong as fuck.

It's here Read the thread before posting
>They were just incomplete ideas which Brian had for an album. They weren't revised up to the standard of the idealisation that he had conceived
Then it's not a concept album, is it?

Why does one have to be better than the other? Why can't you enjoy them both for different reasons?

Fucking autism....

Why do people think this? Pet Sounds is a pop album and nothing more

>Pleb: The Beatles
>Contrarian: The Beach Boys
>Patrician: The Zombies

>>Patrician: The Zombies
lol

Incomplete ideas are nothing more than concepts

OK then what was the concept?

That doesn't make it a concept album though.

the Kinks

This is such a retarded fucking question and the fact that you don't realise it makes it all the more pitiful

The genre doesn't translate the album's sound. Especially in a "genre" that shifts sound depending on the majority consensus on what's hip. Don't be a twat.

>It's a concept album?
>but you are a retard if you question it!
Who's being a tard?

You want me to express which sounds were incomplete ideas over text? Yeah, I think you're being the retard here

>You want me to express which sounds were incomplete ideas over text?
No. the claim is that Smiley Smile is a concept album. What is that concept?

You do not seem to understand what a concept is

You do not seem to understand what a concept album is

Oh wow you're actually right; I didn't mean it was a concept album in the sense that it all followed a single theme, it doesn't recycle a lot of ideas. I was being quite literal when I called it a concept album. There are a lot of tidbits of musical ideas within the album, like at the start of Little Pad, despite the harmony it's most obviously very lo-fi and rough. It progresses sure, but a pop band aimed at selling records like the beatles is careful when it comes to shit like that. I personally love Smiley Smile because of how rough it is, but in reality it's nothing than an unpolished pile of musical concepts.

Well by this logic, all songs are concepts and all albums are collections of concepts

The Beatles were definitely far better on all accounts, hands down. I'm sorry, I'm not even that invested in either bands, but the Beatles were far more impressive. I think some of what the Beach Boys did seemed better because they were overall a worse band so when they did something that seemed artistic it stood out more, but I'm really not a Beach Boys fan overall. Even when I considered them one of my favorite bands and would tell people that Pet Sounds was in my top ten favorite albums it was like I was trying to convince myself first and foremost that they were good. I'd talk about why Pet Sounds was such a great album, but the person I was really telling that to was me, and when I panned out I was like, why the fuck am I overthinking this? It's fucking pop music. Now I know exactly what I like in music but there are some pop bands I like more than others, and, just being completely unbiased, the Beatles are better.

beach boys

they had a more definable style but they were technically more talented and genuine. the beatles always felt more pop, and nothing more, to me.

thats how i feel after being told by both that both were great and i ignored them until i listened to them after listening to more experimental stuff like drone and shit.

>more talented and genuine
How do you measure it? Did you know them personally?

>the beatles always felt more pop, and nothing more, to me.
The Beach Boys could seem like they had more weight to them more easily because more than half the time they sounded completely insipid, so when they did occasionally meet the Beatles in quality it seemed more impressive than the Beatles being that good on every record, plus it gave room for people to make your argument.

>thats how i feel after being told by both that both were great and i ignored them until i listened to them after listening to more experimental stuff like drone and shit
lol

No, because most songs on most albums are refined to completion.

the japanese beatles are superior to both

youtube.com/watch?v=0b6inZfiGrw

So was Smiley Smile. It was a completed album.

its pretty fucking easy to describe with words how something is undeveloped, like you for example. Your brain is small and incomplete. See I did it.

You're not following are you. The songs on Smiley Smile are incomplete.

Your dick is small and undeveloped. Oh I guess I know how to do it with physical things too. Cool! Now try doing it with audio

>The songs on Smiley Smile are incomplete.
How so?

Until you listen through the album and listen to the particular song I referred to in an earlier post, this discussion is on hiatus.

Which song?

Oh you mean Little Pad?
lo fi =/= unfinished

It's finished because that was what Brian settles for and released as a finished product. It's supposed to sound like that.

and Love You, and Today!, and a couple more

right conclusion with absolutely wrong points

>more than half the time they sounded completely insipid
you're ignoring all of the beatles pre-65 discography, which was completely insipid.

also, you're wrong. when brian hit his creative peak (65-67), his music just blew any beatles stuff out of the water. and that's saying something because the beatles output at that time was absolutely unmatched