He sure showed his parents

He sure showed his parents.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection
twitter.com/AnonBabble

soundtrack is really good

>Screenplay and Directed by

the fuck kind of a sentence is that? It should say "written for the screen and directed by". Fuck.

We had a debate in class about this book. Everyone in my class thought that he was in the right cause his parents were ugghh so demanding and they just didn't understand him

Fuckin grow up. Bear it. Overcome it. Don't run away like a hipster when there people in worse situations then you.

Look at me eating all these poison berries.

MOM'S GONNA FREAK!

he did whatever he thought was good, so what ? he didn't want to live a life that was handed out to him and he fucked up. by dying.

Actual belly laugh from your post. Thanks user

NOT EVEN A FUCKING COMPASS

Fuck things man all these things are poisoning society man we gotta transcend man

Christ my dad was an abusive dick who left. Not some distant rich person who was a meanie head :(

Guy was the ultimate bitch, his poor sister too. Selfish turd

>LMAO FUCKING FAGGOT HIPSTER GOT REKT, STUPID CUNT GOT WHAT HE DESERVED

As always with threads about the film or the guy, this comes from the nice crowd posting on Sup Forums on a Friday night

>screenplay by
>directed by
Now remove a "by," put an "and."

YOU DONT GO OUT INTO THE FUCKING WILDERNESS WITHOUT AT LEAST, AT THE VERY BASE LEVEL, A MAP AND A GODDAMN COMPASS. BARRING THE MAP, A COMPASS WILL SUFFICE.

You actually don't need a compass, you can look at the stars, or use your nose, if you got a good nose, that is.

I don't identify well with the men of my own generation.

I admire his dropping everything and living a life more than most ever will. Doesn't change he did it for dumb reasons and wasn't well learned enough for living alone in bumbfuck Alaska

total ponce

How do I know if I have a good nose?
And if I look at the stars, how will this help me?

>parents are stubborn pressuring dickheads
>son is stubborn dickhead
>nature never has given a fuck
>nature wins

Basically if his parents had allowed him to grow instead of dictating his every action this would have never happened. You can't raise males like defective females.

Abysmal writing and directing. Mediocre film overall.

I'm actually doing this at the end of this month.

if he wasnt a big fucking baby it wouldnt have happened either. he could have gotten a job and a apartment in some shitty part of town, then realized hey being poor sucks, then moved back in with his rich parents and actually appriciated it

> how do i know if i have a good nose?

When you can smell the cardinal directions

You won't make it a week but best of luck!

>And if I look at the stars, how will this help me?
Is this a serious comment?

Does no one get taught what the north star is anymore?

Or fucking shit, just look at what direction the sun is rising/setting.

Who the hell are you to tell anyone what to do

Sean Penn is not a competent director or writer. I think if this movie was made by someone else it would have been better.

And if I can smell only some of them? What if I can't South?

I think if he had a hardcore, full penetration gonzo sex scene with Kstew it would have been better.

Cockgobbling and prostate milking by OP

Cockgobbling by OP
Prostate milking by OP

This is serious. I know nothing about the movement of the things in the sky. You say the sun, but how do I know what's front and what's back related to him?

We had to read the book in my high school English class. Chris was a self indulgent retard who had no idea what he was doing and committed suicide by stupidity. I have no sympathy for him.

I would have impregnated her, real talk.

I don't suppose you actually watched the movie, did you?

Actually his parents did nothing wrong. Sure they got into fights but that was between them. And that's what happens when you're adults. You get into disagreements. They gave him the childhood any child would want. They even offered to buy him a brand new car and a free ride to college. They didn't verbally or physically abuse him. They tried to give him the best parenting they could.

If he was going to run away the least he could have done was write them telling him he was alright and not make them worry sick about him. He was selfish. Any kid in a worst situation would love to be in his place. He's just a rich kid who has too much time and money on their hands and want to rebel.

If they'd have given him the freedom to do so he would have.

Again, if you lock a boy in a room and tell him how to do everything, he either wigs out and rebels or ends up as a late 20's cuckboy that posts on Sup Forums that works at a menial job and can't get sex.

>be from Alaska
>now live in lower 48
>literally everybody asks me if I've watched this flick
>haven't
>people look at me like I'm nuts

We have a lot of survivalist/muh wilderness types here.

Most of them live. He was one of the dumb ones.

Why is he famous again?

Anybody who isn't a faggot nu-male would have fucked her.
>MUH AGE
Fucking homos

All of that was conditional love. They offered him things on the condition that he lived they life they dictated to him.

I still listen to hard sun
top-tier track

He killed a moose but didnt actually know the proper way to preserve it. If he had made a smock rack immediately he could have saved a lot of meat and he probably wouldnt have died when he did.

Evidence leads us to believe he died from food poisoning. What it is believed that he ate is edible in itself but it was thought to have had a minuscule amount of a type of mold on it which although not normally fatal is enough to kill you if you are not eating regularly.

They tried to make a movie about a lost kid who touched people's lives on his way to find himself but the movie was so badly written and there was barely any character development between any of the characters he met. It just showed clips of him showing up and suddenly everyone likes him for no reason. They never showed why he developed those relationship or why he was likable. The only character trait I saw from him was a ungrateful douchebag. The only relationship that felt kind of real was the one with him the old guy. But that was because they spent a little more time developing that than the other stuff. But the way he was too likable and everyone just accepted him seems like a convenient way to make you care about him.

>They didn't verbally or physically abuse him

There is no way for you to know this.

It was just complete ignorance of bushcraft that killed him. People die every year when they eat poisonous plants/mushrooms that they assume is something else.

Bushcraft is highly specialized to region and takes years if not decades to learn.

The scenes with her were so bad. Fuck, oh i'm a hot girl and I just happen to like this guy who ran away. We just met but we're in love. And I want him to have sex with me. Everything was so forced like a lot of things in this movie.

smoke rack**

I couldn't empathize with him. I really wanted to but I couldn't. I thought that by the end of the movie I might find some empathy for him but I couldn't. This movie was a waste of time.

sucks when you eat a root that is only poison when you are starving and ppl think you killed yourself on purpose

>he didnt watch the documentary
pleb

i mean he was gonna die sooner or later if he stayed out in the woods, from poisoning or starvation or freezing or a bear attack

i dont really judge him because i appreciate people who stand by their convictions even if i dont agree with them

talking about your feels on your blog is one thing but leaving it all and living in the woods for a while is impressive just from a character standpoint, i know i couldnt do it. and the way he died was a risk that he knew he was taking

Yup, and Lord Shackleton, the Vikings who colonized America and the Sputnik Cosmonauts all showed their Moms and Dads who's boss!

So it's established that he's a retard now for the next topic, if you were him, what would you have done? If your parents had so many expectations of you, placed so much pressure on you, what would you do? Would you run away like him or forge your own path?

Running away and forging your own path can be the very same thing

Ha I'm dead sick it dad

Ya blew it

He was from a wealthy family and when he traveled the country as a drifter he made a lot of people re-evaluate their lives.

I'm your mother, now empty your poop jugs or ill deduct another 10 gbp

>he made a lot of people re-evaluate their lives

The movie did a really poor job of showing that.

For starters, I'd bring a map.

He just wanted out. His parents weren't the cause of his issues, just the catalyst.

The sun rises in the east and sets in the west. If you know what a compass looks like that alone is good enough for the day.

For the night, Google the Big Dipper and Little Dipper. They're two constellations that are always visible. The North Star sits in the handle of the Little Dipper and is always oriented above the earths North Pole. If you can find it following it will always take you north.

There's also bird flight patterns, depending on the time of year.

Have you never met a teenage girl before?

He's the guy that didn't eat poison berries.

Thanks. Sound pretty complicated, but doable to be learned.

Yeah and fuck Thoreau too that whiny cunt lolgrowuplibtardfedorafag

That's what you all sound like.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection

I'm planning on doing the same except not dying.

>Everyone in my class thought that he was in the right cause his parents were ugghh so demanding and they just didn't understand him
>AM I COOL Sup Forums?

I don't see you offering any counterarguments.

>Reply

Good luck. Cause that was the one flaw in his plan.

>I'm gonna go die in a bus.

Thoreau was a whiny cunt you retard. When I read Walden it sounds like a thirteen year old emo kid in a philosophy 101 class wrote it.

>Why would you pay someone to build you a house if you could buy the materials yourself for a fraction of the cost and build it yourself hurr durrrr
>Why do we even like "need" money guys! Let's all just live off the land brooooo

All his arguments are pretty much this retarded.

Something can be said about these quixotic persons, like him and Grizzly Man, who try their darnedest to live out some idealistic dream.

What's that?

He was apparently abused verbally by his dad. His dad also cheated on his mom and tried to cover it up. In short, his dad was a shitty person and he didn't want to follow in his footsteps.

>verbal abuse

>Gallien repeatedly tried to persuade McCandless to defer the trip, at one point offering to detour to Anchorage, and buy him suitable equipment and supplies. However, McCandless ignored Gallien's persistent warnings and refused his offers of assistance (though McCandless did accept a pair of Wellington boots, two sandwiches, and a packet of corn chips from Gallien). Gallien dropped McCandless off believing McCandless would head back towards the highway within a few days as hunger set in

>It has been speculated that McCandless may have been responsible for vandalizing several cabins in the area that were stocked with food, survival equipment, and emergency supplies. In response, Denali National Park Chief Ranger Ken Kehrer, has categorically stated that McCandless was not considered a viable suspect by the National Park Service

Lowlife thief.

>speculated
>categorically stated that McCandless was not considered a viable suspect

U just a hater, homie

And instead he's the guy that will die in whatever way he dies. What's your point?

He was smart enough, at least in the movie, to just say fuck it and pursue some hippie faggot shit. I'm not against those kinds of trips, but you are throwing away opportuinites that few people have for some shit trip with a stupid idea with no preparation is nothing to cheer for. Maybe the movie wasn't trying to portray him as some enlightened faggot, but it still cringy how many people fall for his shit.

>happiness is nothing if not shared

he's right tho

As a minor counterpoint, people rarely share their masturbation

Don't, I guess.

He was schizophrenic.

>mfw autists don't understand that the character's reason for "going into the wilderness" wasn't for survival

He got what he wanted. Plain and simple. I don't understand people's anger over his decisions.

Are you happy deep inside when you mastrubate? Think about it.

Even when you play games, watch a good movie etc if you don't have anyone to share your happines you are wasting your life. If you gonna live alone till you die, nobody will remember you, nor will you be missed by anyone.

Making other people happy is even better, atleast you did something good in your life.

Cold

the only way that would work is if it was changed to read

screenplay and direction by
or
screenplayed and directed

screenplay is a noun
directed is a verb

doesn't work syntactically

i didn't see the movie but from what i've read, this is true

it was basically suicide the way he wanted to go

no he didn't have a goal, that is why it was a tragedy. he was vulnerable and innocent and made poor decisions and sadly wasn't able to survive to a point where he could develop coping strategies and perspective.

That he was an embarassing waste of sperm who whined about being born into money in a first world country and then at ate berries and died.

Basically you but sadly you won't do us the courtesy of offing yourself.

Try Liveleak, it's an edgelord's safe space

>he didn't read the book
lmao enjoy watching Sean Penn's propoganda

Only from a matter of perspective

yes, only from everyone involved's perspective, including the main character Chris. All the evidence surrounding his death showed he was starving and trying not to starve. So to conclude it was suicide is not logical.

He was a victim of circumstance. While he didn't do anything directly wrong that killed him, some of his more lousy decisions about how to lead his life out in the wilderness were certainly bad, but he didn't make a single fatal decision that cost him his life.

I'm split on the guy myself. On one hand, I admire someone who wants to admire the blissfulness of nature and wants to get away from a society that has no fulfillment within itself. We're all wageslaves who do jobs to get money to keep existing and buy shit. Which is fine and I plan on doing it, but anyone who attempts to find something above that is fine by my book. The problem though is he had a family who loved and cared about him and by abandoning them he committed emotional murder. Additionally the people he met along the way who showed him nothing but kindness yet he refused to acknowledge their attempts to pull him from his singleminded quest.

Didn't see the movie, don't plan to. The book was enough.

i thought the movie was actually pretty even handed about showing that whilst likeable, he was also foolish. it wasn't just hero worship. it showed how much it upset his family, but more than that it showed how much it upset everyone else he met as well. the whole movie was him meeting cool people and bailing on them and i'm not sure that it was really applauding this. it was more a sad thing, that this naive likeable kid was so desperate to run away from every meaningful relationship that he ended up dying in a stupid pointless way in the middle of nowhere.

good film

the problem with the story is that there is obviously unsurfaced familial drama that is missing from the final telling. Agree with everything you said, but from my experience while it is likely he had his own demons or even psychological problems there would be at least a subtle family disfunction, even as simple as lack of affection or isolation from his parents, to cause him to drastically cut off communication. Something that may not even appear to be a serious level issue on the surface but would explain more than only looking at chris's personality/character traits.

Yeah and depending on how much credit you want to give McCandless for his mental state/how much he wanted to get away from his family would certainly color how you view his actions. I read the book 5-6 years ago so I can't quite remember the detail but it's so likely he saw his parents as terrible and even though the picture we get is a loving and successful family there might have been much more going on that he wanted to isolate himself from.

Nice to have a discussion on Sup Forums. Thanks my dude

That far north the stars are really fucky

Thank you. I got that lolbertarian edgelord feel from Chris as well.

opps i am cold, should have stayed at home

rip