In French, the word for "homosexual" is the same as the word for "pederast"

>in French, the word for "homosexual" is the same as the word for "pederast"

What are some language-related facts or experiences that make you kek, Sup Forums ?

Pederast also means gay here, but we usually just call them gay.
Or bicha, boiola, viado, etc. All kinds of slang for queers.

Pédé is one of like half a dozen words for gay men in French.

boiola pucci?

Pic related means faggot in my language

>Anglos use "mate" for bff and have sex

>the Irish (Gaelic) word for Frenchman is the same as the word for rat

Quels sont les autres mots? J'apprends la langue et je veux m'enrichir

oh wow, I never realized this

very appropriate tbqh famo

The difference in meaning between Ukrainian and Russian for дpyжинa entertains me. For Russkies its like a small paramilitary formation or batallion. For Ukes it means 'wife"

>How terrifying those Ukrainian ladies

The verb "mated" just means to put things together. Whether lovers or friends. Mate as a noun is short for matey, which was a verb as in "those 2 guys are very matey" meaning very close together is in best friends and later morphed into the noun mate.

ye, very confusing shit.

> which was a verb as in "those 2 guys are very matey"
'Matey' in that sentence is an adjective, not a verb.

I found the Russian word for German, nemetskiy, come from the word 'dumb' or 'mute', as they couldn't speak Russian.

Much like the Greek 'barbaros' meant someone who sounded like they were saying 'bar bar bar' repeatedly.

>I found the Russian word for German, nemetskiy, come from the word 'dumb' or 'mute', as they couldn't speak Russian.
>Much like the Greek 'barbaros' meant someone who sounded like they were saying 'bar bar bar' repeatedly
This kind of stuff is so sexy. Is there a name for the study of interesting etymologies?

I remember in middle school how I used Google Translate to translate "gay" into Russian, which became "pederast". Then I went around using this as an insult.

same here
pedał (fag) comes from pederasta

in brasil they use the word for deer to call someone gay

they also call people "face" instead of saying something like "guy" or "bloak" or "fellow" or whatever

in russian it's pidaras (same meaning)

in english "gyp" means to cheat (from gypsy)

"good bye" is a shortening of "god be with you"

"piss" used to be polite

oh, and on ships they used to store manure at the bottom of the ship, but all the methane gas would build up, so when someone went down to get it with a candle the ship would blow up. so they started labelling the crates of manure with "store high in transit", which is where we get "shit"

"ciota" can be translated as fag, but it's also a vulgar word for period.
So you can call someone a period.

> which is where we get "shit"
'Shit' has been around much longer than that.

From Old English 'scitan' 'to shit' (Old English 'sc' was pronounced 'sh'), from PIE 'skei' 'to separate, cut'.

none of this is right

Tantouze,tapette, tarlouze,tafiole, gay, pédale, être de la jaquette flottante, sodomite...

You mean cara right?
That's a declesion of "Minha cara senhoria" going to "cara senhoria" and finally just "Cara"
Now that this is sorted out from where Gajo even comes from?

that's so silly, you use that like it's a banal thing, sounds too fancy of an origin

>that's so silly, you use that like it's a banal thing, sounds too fancy of an origin
When everyone starts using it obviously loses it's fancyness. The thing is it was hard to tell who was important and who wasn't in colonial times so it was for the best to simply treat everyone with the hightest amount of respect possibly hence why using the phrase. That's why some of us stopped using "Tu" and opted for the more educated Você. Nowadays because everyone uses it too it became banal too.

makes sense, thanks querido

In the United States the word "European" when said with the proper inflection is literally a synonym for homosexual.

wew

the literal translation of "bonjour, je suis un homme francais" is "I am a smelly piece of human garbage, unfit for anything other than sucking cock 24 hours a day. I eat too much garlic, never shower and enjoy having sex with goats. I spend my time surrendering and cursing god for putting me in this muslim-infested hellhole with no hope of escape, since no civilised country would ever consider taking me in as I would immediately turn it into just another brown, poor, stinking fr*g """"""country"""""" that offers nothing to the world and should just be nuked to put us all out of our misery"

Holy shit why the fuck can't I stop laughing

in spain the word that means to pick up things in mexican spanish means to fuck.

can confirm

That's because they're so used to pick up diseases.