What is the deal with this album, and more importantly, this band?

what is the deal with this album, and more importantly, this band?

i'm not trying to be a hipster but what makes them so revered? the band has some good music but none of it is amazing lyrically or in terms songwriting, production.

the only reason i ever people hear people say this band is good is because "they started the grunge movement"! okay yeah well literally name ONE other good grunge band, go ahead i'll wait.

only other reason seems to be because he killed himself. so if my band makes it big and i kill myself will i be remembered forever like this man?

someone explain this shit to me

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Nco_kh8xJDs
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grunge#Prominent_grunge_artists
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

they made a certain type of music at the right time

pearl jam

ten came out months before nevermind

but its another good grunge band

Nirvana took fused the melodies of a Lennon/McCartney pop hit and fused it with the edge and angst of punk and hardcore, you'd have to be deaf to not hear the appeal and genius of Kurt, which by the way was unrivaled songwriting and melody wise during that era.

>literally name ONE other good grunge band
Alice in Chains
Mother Love Bone
Soundgarden
Green River
Mudhoney

The real question is about Nirvana the band. Nevermind is just used to represent them because it was by far the most commercialized, and easily digestable album they made. Nevermind was Kurt Cobain wanting to make a pop album, and so it's a nice, plain, radio-friendly album that still managed to represent the attitudes and ideals that Kurt held.

So the real question is, just what the hell happened with Nirvana? Nirvana rose to fame at a really shitty time for music. Like a REALLY shitty time for music. Mainstream rock was just commercialized garbage designed to sell, and was still hanging on to the trends of the eighties. It had absolutely no connection to the younger generation, there was no genuine emotion to most of the rock songs that dominated the mainstream.

So Nirvana was the perfect band that game at the perfect time that introduced itself to the mainstream world with the perfect song. Smells Like Teen Spirit is basically a sledgehammer that with a single swing sought to demolish the foundation of mainstream rock, and built it back up from the basics. It was america's youth trying to take back mainstream music. It was simple, reactionary. All these rock stars are on stage wearing ridiculous outfits, makeup, and big hair wigs, so we're coming out in a t shirt of some obscure band and a pair of jeans that havent been washed in years.

That was the appeal of Nirvana to millions of people. Their songs were simple, blunt. There was no finesse or desire to impress.

Even without all this, Kurt Cobain had the vocal abilities of a god and was probably one of the best looking men alive... and that does wonders when dealing with mainstream

Fpbp

Dude fuck Nevermind
Listen to In Utero
They are still overrated as hell but In Utero is a good album thanks to Steve Albini

delete cp please

They didn't "start" the grunge movement, they broke it into the mainstream.

>Mother Love Bone

wasnt "grunge" - they were much more Glam and metal/hard rock...like a thinking man's GnR

nice post. you got it. listen to this fella OP and get ur head outta your ass

Because every boy and his grandma started a post-grunge band because of that album and were shitting up the airwaves from 1994 all the way up until memerap took over a few years ago. That garbage couldn't have possibly done well if people weren't all holding some reverence for this album that is to blame for it. The only good thing that cane be said about Nirvana (besides the Unplugged album, that was great) is they were at least pure in their commercialization of grunge, they stuck to their guns on playing crap music and not ripping the guts out of it.

name Lennon/McCartney pop hits plisu

70% of the Beatles catalog ?

>Kurt Cobain had the vocal abilities of a god and was probably one of the best looking men alive.

wew lad...fanboy bias doesnt resonate.

Not him, but i cant think of anyone that could have sung his songs better than him. And he was an attractive dude.

>kay yeah well literally name ONE other good grunge band, go ahead i'll wait.
Soundgarden?

>songs which spoke to an entire generation
>not amazing
Also the production is great. What's wrong with it?
>only other reason seems to be because he killed himself
They were already the biggest band in the world when he killed himself.

this is better than anything Nirvana ever did. the last minute or so is one of the best bits of music ever recorded

youtube.com/watch?v=Nco_kh8xJDs

>pearl jam
>grunge

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grunge#Prominent_grunge_artists

You don't get it. You never have gotten it you don't get it now and you're never going to get it so stop trying to figure it out and go back to whatever it is you actually do like.

see

They needed more songs like I Hate Myself and Want to Die. Less MTV bullshit.

haha that thread was funny :D

What if I Hate Myself and Want To Die was played on MTV?

Then it would be the MTV bullshit and you'd be wanting songs like Lithium and Come as You Are

That's deep, man.