Can we settle this debate once and for all? Which of these is the better show? My vote goes to the Wire

Can we settle this debate once and for all? Which of these is the better show? My vote goes to the Wire

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cVIwepliNeo
vulture.com/2012/03/drama-derby-finals-the-wire-vs-the-sopranos.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Good morning Wirefags

Sopranos of course. The wire is bland and boring

Breaking Bad

sopranos

Please tell me you're not serious. The wire is the most important television drama of all time and covers far more thematic depth and ground than the sopranos in only one of its 5 seasons.

The wire USA steaming heap of dogshit.
Not even baiting
It's terrible americentric garbage

Sopranos is better because Chase literally planned it out from the first episode.

>Junior wants to kill Pussy Malanga in Artie's restaurant
>Tony blows it up to prevent that from happening
>throughout the course of the show Tony and Artie have an on-again, off-again friendship
>Artie finally stops putting up with Tony's bullshit as the two diverge emotionally with Tony becoming more psychopathic and Artie more functional
>as a result Tony is assassinated in Holden's instead of Artie's place in the final episode

it's like if GRRM was actually good at outlining.

youtube.com/watch?v=cVIwepliNeo

I tried to watch the Wire but couldn't get past the 3rd episode. Never understood why it and Entourage are so revered by normies and people in general 2be h. If you say Tony wasn't the most important character of tv dramas of all time then you are lying to yourself.

What are you talking about? Can you elaborate on your godawful opinion?

>Tony is assassinated
You obviously weren't smart enough for the show

The Wire obviously. Both great shows, though, so who gives a fuck?

>The Wire
>revered by normies

it was hardly watched on release. the Sopranos, on the other hand, was enormously popular because of normies not actually understanding it.

The wire suffered from 2 major problems.

It's pretentious and preachy.

The characters are unlike able nobodies.
Sopranos the characters were vastly more human and engaging.
I couldn't give the slightest fuck about any of the characters from The Wire, their lives and problems were bullshit.

Also some of the characters were inconsistent from season to season like their bio in the bible was open to interpretation.

>Sopranos the characters were vastly more human and engaging.
Every character on the Sopranos was morally repugnant. At least in the Wire we had characters who were compelling that tried to fight against corruption and failed. There isn't a single non reprehensible person on the Sopranos, it get's quite tiresome watching these sociopaths.
>It's pretentious and preachy.
You're going to have to elaborate on this a bit more? It examines the flaws of institutions within Baltimore but doesn't pretend to have the answers to any of them. One of the whole points of the show is that there isn't a single political viewpoint that could function in tackling all the problems that society faces be it libertarianism, conservatism and yes, even liberalism

That's what makes the sopranos interesting. The characters are flawed, all of them. It's intensely voyeuristic.

What you've described about the Wire is setting and location stuff with a little motivation. It lacks character. The entire show lacks character.
Sopranos is overflowing with it, the Wire is starved of it.

The Wire said more about the world we (or at least amerifags) live in. The Sopranos was arguably a bit more entertaining. But it's very arguable. The wire was a bit more of a slow burner.

On balance I'd probably go for The Wire. It's a bit more of a masterpiece and has the bonus of McNultys kids not being as fucking gay as Tony's. Also, I didn't enjoy Tony's visions and dream/coma shit as much as some people seemed to.

Say my name.

ITT: Hot Opinions

No you ignoramus the Wire's grandiosity stems from the fact that the character supplements the drama and the big ideas of the show. The wire is rife with far more appealing characters like Carcetti, Bunk, Stringer Bell, Mcnulty.

Did he have Aspergers?

*inaudible mumbling*

Without character you have no show.
Just a fictionalised documentary.

Go get angry about something worthwhile

I cried 3 times watching the Wire and didn't even give a shit about anything that happened in the sopranos. I cheered when Chrissy and adriana died because there's no audience investment in their well being

What did it say about the world we live in.

Sopranos. Hands down

The Wire's also good though.

The wire is a sprawling Grecian epic with dozens of characters. I genuinely think you're not suited to watching it and didn't understand very much of it. I'd recommend a second viewing but that would be lost on you also

Do you well up whilst watching Ellen too?

it's bad

In what way is it a Grecian epic.

The Wire most certainly does not lack character. In fact, it's unique because the motivations of the characters often reflect the motivations we face in real life. Career, ideals, love. I'd say that there is definitely characterization and I think that you're just taking a piss-poor interpretation of the material in order to not have to worry about the complexities of reality.

The Wire is a really good show.
The Sopranos is a really good show.

I personally like The Wire better.

Awesome. Profound.

You think it's Grecian because it has a few Greeks in a few seasons?

The Wire is dull. Dull as dishwater dull.
It's a series built on schlocky cop show cliches that explores nothing new for the viewer and is utterly pedestrian.

The two shows almost can't be more different. They're really apples and oranges. I happen to slightly prefer The Wire though that often changes depending on my mood and which I've seen last

Learn to debate you little fuck

Awwww are you crying again?

Fuck off

>debate

This is just you with sand in your vagina you sweet and fragile and delicate little petunia.

Don't listen to the nasty man about your lovely show.

>utterly pedestrian
I honestly think you have the lowest mental capacity of anyone i've ever debated or are the greatest troll i've faced. Either way kys

The Wire

I know you think you're trolling me, but you're honestly so bad at this. It's actually laughable

What is there to understand about The sopranos. It's only a slightly better version of Breaking bad, a standard plot driven generic tv drama. There was nothing beneath surface level plot details to understand about the show and above all, it was actually rather boring

When you've got a show where the most interesting thing is watching and listening to Aiden Gillan butcher yet another accent, well that just screams good taste

>Sopranos the characters were vastly more human and engaging.
>Every character on the Sopranos was morally repugnant

wow someone is missing the point

tell me then, o wise seer, what matters?

The Wire is a terrible show. It belongs on the BBC

>It's pretentious and preachy.
Fuckin this. People spam meme lines from characters in that show all the time. The entire point of film is that the themes are supposed to arise without you actually having to explicitly say them yourself as the writer.

Without the occasional "I got a gun you got a briefcase" the wire is just a completely average cop show.

not an argument

None of this

so, what exactly was the deep, profound and unique message the sopranos has taught us, without being preachy or pretentious?

OP, the article that the picture in your post is from LITERALLY answers the question for you:

vulture.com/2012/03/drama-derby-finals-the-wire-vs-the-sopranos.html

Life happens

Obviously The Wire.

That could be the 'message' for literally any show. Any idiot looking for a show to have a message is asking the wrong fucking questions and probably spent one too many days in Sunday School

Awesome. Profound.

Gommora

Any idiot who doesn't think that shows portray agendas and messages through artistic expression clearly doesn't pay enough attention to the effort the writers and production crew put into the final product.

Mobsters are basically average shlubs with the same problems, disappointments, and neuroses as everybody else, maybe?

Of course it's an argument. The "profoundness" of the show that its fans are always going on and on about doesn't really exist. It's law and order with a few self-important maxims thrown in here and there. The sopranos doesn't need to have Tony say meme shit to drive home the point. The meaning, that a mobster guy has normal person problems, is self-contained within the plot.

The sopranos beats the wire in every possible way. It's potentially the best piece of art created over any medium. Wire is still excellent though. If it had a strong final season it would be more contentious but damn

It explores late capitalist America, nuclear families, masculinity, the human conscience, the facets of everyday life, mortality. The idea that art needs to have a message or be realistic is dumb anyway.

I prefer The Sopranos for its variety of styles and story telling, for its more personal approach, for its humour and that it's simply a more layered work. The Wire isn't interesting beyond the intricate plotting. There's no real reason to re-watch it. Sopranos is endlessly more complex and interesting with so much little details and elements of the show that I come to appreciate more with repeated viewings. The episodes where "nothing happens" are now my favorite. It also helps that Sopranos ends with its best season while The Wire's last season is legitimately not good.

Wire

even Breaking Bad is better than Soaprano

Sopranos had action, drama and comedy

The wire had drama and action but the comedy was weak

Breaking Bad had action and comedy but the drama was weak

Mad men had drama and comedy but the action was weak.

you do the math

>The Wire
>steak with premium ketchup and a fine wine

>Sopranos
>Big Mac and beer

I like both.

>mfw I never finished Sopranos but I love The Wire

I like this theory

>steak with any ketchup

What the fuck kind of Communist piece of shit are you?

It only has what, one season and four episodes so far?

I agree though, it has potential. First season is nothing short of amazing

the wire is great but at times overwritten and ridiculous. sopranos is better in just about every way and its social commentary is more subtle and less overdone than the kind of the wire. it's a lot funnier too.

>it's a sopranos fans out themselves as simplistic plebians thread

kek delicious.