How do I get over video games?

> How do I get over video games?

I am 20 years old and still playing games like dark souls and WoW. I think I should be doing more with my life, since I only have a finite amount of time in this earth. How does one stops playing and starts living?

>tfw you realize you're "living" when you play video games

thats not what I meant, you know it...

you're still young but its like this: picture someone you look up to and imagine how they spend their free time. It's an addiction (vidya) but do understand time is a finite thing.

i'm 29, you don't

Finish all your games, and then sell everything, buy a console if in the future a game interests you.

do you have a job

If you enjoy video games keep playing them, life is short but it's what you make of it, not what others expect for you to make it

I work in my dad´s store

also, try to understand, like truly wrap your head around, all the time you spend on these characters and games, will net you absolutely nothing in the real world. One day WoW will be gone, one day you will turn off dark souls for the last time, and you will not have gained anything practical.

If you can truly wrap your head around this concept, that one day you will be like done done, don't waste too much time on it.

If you like video games then play video games. As long as you have a job and pay your own bills who gives a fuck what you do in your free time.

>Looking up to someone
kek
>Vidya is an addiction
possibly but kekked
>Time is finite
that'll motivate him

>I'm 20 years old and doing things I enjoy

Stop being insecure you fucking faggot. There's no point to life, you don't need to "start living", you already are.

So enjoy the fucking ride, you nigger.

Found the faggot.

"You desire to LIVE "according to Nature"? Oh, you noble Stoics, what fraud of words! Imagine to yourselves a being like Nature, boundlessly extravagant, boundlessly indifferent, without purpose or consideration, without pity or justice, at once fruitful and barren and uncertain: imagine to yourselves INDIFFERENCE as a power—how COULD you live in accordance with such indifference? To live—is not that just endeavouring to be otherwise than this Nature? Is not living valuing, preferring, being unjust, being limited, endeavouring to be different? And granted that your imperative, "living according to Nature," means actually the same as "living according to life"—how could you do DIFFERENTLY? Why should you make a principle out of what you yourselves are, and must be?"

The real world is the same way bro, one day, relatively soon, any trace of your existance will be gone.

/thread

But I would say if it's causing you prolonged suffering, it's good to ponder and talk about it.

i fell in love with a girl, we broke up, i played an MMO hardcore for 2 years after we broke up.

Thinking of all the things this beautiful girl had accomplished in the two years after we broke up, while I had literally just been sleezing it at a computer for 2 years, helped me to stop.

Now I live in Europe and my life is pretty sweet.

Find someone you look up to and imagine how they spend their free time. It works.

So is Harambe, but emotions, memories, and feelings will stay with you forever

It can take a while to really grow up and realize the truth that you can do whatever the fuck you feel like doing, but you aren't pushing yourself. Try different types of shit and see what else is interesting to do.

If you like playing games don't torture yourself thinking you have to quit

If this crisis you're having is legit, let it fuel your drive to do something that makes a difference

Pursue your dreams

etc etc

>since I only have a finite amount of time in this earth
well you're already in the earth for an eternity

I think you'll find there's nothing more to life than just being content and having some kids. Unless you're brown or black, then pleas do the world a favor and just don't breed. We have enough issues.

top kek. Good meme.

Do what you want. Don't drop something you enjoy based on some ethereal notion of "growing up".

That being said, it sounds like you're frustrated with your level of productivity. That's remedied by skill building. Code, draw, dance, whatever.

It's not as initially appealing as a video game, but those things are all pretty fun once you start. If you stick to it long enough, spending time training skills that give you a financial or social advantage.

Video games can be used this way as well. The indie gaming market is ripe for developers who understand gamer culture, game theory, good ui design, etc. (All things playing games can help you develop an understanding of.)

Generally, just tell yourself in advance how long you're going to do what and why. Then, it's your decision, not an impulse.

20 years =eternity?

I think he was being witty about the use of "in" instead of "on" in reference to death: being in the earth for eternity.

that's retarded because, let's say you spent that time practicing piano, and you could play any tune ever written, one day your hands are going to give out and you're going to die, what will it have mattered, that for a fleeting moment, you captured greatness? even if you're beethoven, what does it matter? beethoven is dead.

fuck video games

i wasted so much time with those things and did nothing but game my entire youth.

they're really just distractions, momentary entertainment with no real gain

you dont experience anything all. you just zone
out at the game. no memories are made

go read a book, meditate, do cross word puzzles, draw, color, paint, ride a bike, ride a fucking horse it doesn't matter just do something that doesn't numb yourself

I turn 20 soon and I'm kind of realizing this.
I just want to make a mini me and make him better than me so he can make his son better than him etc

this.

fuckin luddites.

No it doesn't

that's some sad shit you've written there faggot, bethoven will live for as long as the humanity exists, he achieved imortality.

motherfucker... this is the first time on this fucking board i've read something good. congratulations, now get out of here.

I dunno. 39 here with 3 kids, wife and career. I still play video games like an autistic Asian teenager. I also watch anime and until a few years ago was playing magic the gathering.

I've never had any desire to quit. That might be because I'm so deep in addiction I can't see it but everything is going pretty well so if it ain't broke don't fix it I guess.

but are you "happy" with your life?

that's for kids who gives a shit about what other niggers think or do. In real life, this whole bullshit of "find what you love, create goals, 5 years plan, find someone who you look up to" are just great piles of shit you use as a decoy for your existencial problems that soon, will reemerge again.

Holy shit bro are you me

Life is awesome isnt it

maybe you missed the part where my life is a whole lot better.

I quit the MMO, and my quality of life is WAY higher.

OP asked how to do it, this is how I did it.

>39
>3 kids, wife
lonely virgin
>career
GBPs
>has sustainable hobbies
is a weeby parasite

"Holy shit brew r u me?"

Found the Nietzschean

Misery is the human condition. Life is about experiencing moments of joy here and there not being fucking shitting rainbows happy. Depression is the base line of life. I have had some beautiful moments in my life. The first time I blew my load into my wife after we decided to have kids, the birth of my children, my daughter making varsity volleyball, watching my boss die of a stroke right in front of my face.

Video games just pass the time between moments.

I mean I'm only 21 but gotta job that pays well enough, finishing up undergrad going into grad for bio/ vet med always got decent grades and I still go out. Meanwhile I still play steam games like tf2 csgo or if I feel like an asshole call of duty.

You can play and still get shit done just don't let it take over bro. Good luck

Thanks, I tried.

Truth be told, even if there was a way to return all the time you've wasted in video games, you probably wouldn't waste on something good.

This is a common problem, even if we have time we wouldn't possess money or opportunities to do something truly meaningful with our life, we have limited resources and by copying the same shit everybody do, like going to college, working, playing and dating (common habits to fill our lifes), we lose the chance to achieve greatness or even our meaning. In short, you just play videogame because that's one of the best things you can do with your life given the options.

Holy shit I found the... I don't know determinist?

No, this is Nietzsche

Oh shit, you're right haha. Skipped past it. Thanks.

Thanks for labeling my thoughts...Never did a deeper analysis about them. I will certainly look this shit up now.

Sorry for using shitty labels. Just check out Existentialism in general. It's fun stuff.