twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The thing. Alien isn't horror.

horror flick: The Thing
terror film: Alien
scary movie: The Shining
dread kino: Eraserhead

Why isn't Alien a horror?

bump

The Thing is far more rewatchable. Alien was great on suspense. But suspense somehow doesn't work anymore as you get older. Alien had great sound design. Alien became a shitty franchise, but that is not it's own fault.

It's not scary.

Alien is terror

shit.

meant to quote

the thing. I still never understood why alien and aliens get so much praise. They're cool sci fi horror flicks but I don't get how people try to act like there actual cinemá

Whats the difference between horror and terror?

It's more that they were trendsetters. They started the things that we now take for granted.

Same with Blade Runner. Neither of them are especially amazing these days, but they were at the time before all the derivatives based on them.

Terror is usually described as the feeling of dread and anticipation that precedes the horrifying experience. By contrast, horror is the feeling of revulsion that usually occurs after something frightening is seen, heard, or otherwise experienced. It is the feeling one gets after coming to an awful realization or experiencing a deeply unpleasant occurrence. In other words, horror is more related to being shocked or scared (being horrified), while terror is more related to being anxious or fearful.[2] Horror has also been defined as a combination of terror and revulsion.[3]

The Thing is the greatest horror film ever made, which is not saying much since it's a fucking pleb genre to begin with.

Fair enough laddo, that makes sense. I'd agree then that Alien is more of a terror but definitely has horror scenes (the eggs, the chestburster)

With horror your horrified, with terror your terrified.

So it really all come down to whether you want to be horrified, or terrified. If you want to be terrified, watch Alien. If you want to be horrified, watch The Thing.

Simple really.

>But suspense somehow doesn't work anymore as you get older
t. one guy's wrong opinion

What genre isn't "pleb" you retard? All movies are "pleb" except intolerable art shit

Personally I think for details and vision and so on they beat the derivatives. If you like the derivatives and then go to the originals I imagine it's disappointing, but if you watch them as films in their own right they stand up pretty well.

Except for alien being the protogen for the modern horror movie.

> he doesn't know Hitchcock wrote movies for teenagers and babies

I only recently saw Alien, the only good thing about it was the sound design. The crew was retarded (and way beyond the casual excuse of hurr they're space truckers) and the false ending was not needed

>what genre isn't pleb

it's easier to list those which are: horror and comedy. Both of which only exist to please plebians. Comedy CAN be patrician but only when mixed with another genre. Sorry to hurt your fee fees

Horror is pleb, all movies are pleb, you've never seen a patrician movie that wasn't made pre-1970.

I honestly couldn't say. They're both too kino.

Alien is shot slightly better and has cooler set pieces... its a pleasure to watch.. The thing is easier to watch and more engaging on a second viewing when compared to Alien.

We're not talking about Hitchcock

>the genres who get you laid are pleb
lmao spotted the virgin

>trendsetters.
Yeah maybe from a "historical" perspective but I would literally rather watch Blade Runner and only Blade Runner for the rest of my life than have to watch only brand new "sci-fi" movies. Movies coming out since the 2000's are absolute and total dogshit. In fact I would rather watch Galaxy of Terror or Dark Star or Outland than any movie from the 2000's. It's NOT just because Blade Runner came first, it's a fucking better movie.

agreed.

>the genres who get you laid
>who

I disagree, they're both as re watchable, but Alien is more historically significant. It's really a genre changer of a movie, name me a horror movie like it before it.

neo/tv/

They're both great sci-fi horror films in their own right, but one of the most under-discussed topics is the bonus situation

what are some other "genres," in your conception? for instance, how are westerns not "pleb?" they were literally mass produced to appeal to the lowest common denominator of movie-goers. they made THOUSANDS of westerns that are all exactly the same. just because now 60 years later you remember The Good the Bad and the Ugly doesn't mean westerns aren't "pleb" as fuck. and that's just one example. you don't know shit

There is no such thing as a pure comedy movie in existence. You're an idiot.

Michael Crightons Congo

I am sorry, how was the thing a trendsetter?

I liked Prometheus and I've seen it several times. The design of the Engineers is cool and I want to see what happens in the sequel

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>Alien is more historically significant.
It is. But watching Alien a second time is not nearly as satisfying as rewatching the uncompromising mayhem of The Thing.

Blade Runner and Alien are some of the most influential movies of all time.

The Thing was a good movie for special effects, except I liked Evil Dead 2 better.

FULL

It's true, most people don't understand the few deleted scenes is what made the movie good. It's really sad that plebs will trash on this movie for the next 5 years at least, until netflix starts showing the extended cuts with the 20 minutes of footage.

I'd say The Thing personally. The Alien is an animal and you know it's motives is roughly the same as one.
The Thing is a completely different entity of life as we know it with completely undiscernible motives.Plus The Thing is overall creepier with it's ability to perfectly impersonate someone you've known your whole life.

Yeah, but then again Rewatching Avengers movies is usually more fun too, because of it's visual appeal. From a film maker view Alien has a lot to offer, The Thing has some GREAT tension of character driven paranoia that really no other movie touches, but Alien did as well, with the chestbuster and the Android part too.

It doesn't have rewatchability, but you could say Alien is the reason The Thing exists. That android scene alone is the inspiration for The Thing.

>alien doesn't have rewatchability

It doesn't compared to The Thing, because of all the character interactions, but it doesn't make it a worse movie.

the thing is a thriller, not horror.

I disagree with you, Alien's pacing alone makes it rewatchable

no

I find they're both equals, both of them cover the fear of encountering destructive and non-negotiable alien life perfectly and make great use of their settings (plus both involve the human body being intruded upon in the scariest manner possible).

I think The Thing is scarier but I like the feeling of Alien more.

Kek

The Thing didn't have to hide in the dark to be scary.

Kekkles

who /love both/ here?

The Thing is far scarier and the creature design is more unique.

Anyone else's screen on Sup Forums keep flashing?
I've got Sup Forums X but this just started a minute ago.

Yep, it's 4chanx fucking up for some reason

The Thing is boring (it's not bad, just very mediocre at best) and puts me to sleep so I guess I have to say Alien.

Goddammit, hopefully this will be fixed soon.
I can only keep up this thread now.

it's a nightmare

Alien=sheer terror, fight or flight mode
The thing=Sheer paranoia, confusion, that horrible feeling creeping up your spine that you know that there's nothing you can do when imminent danger is present

Both great, but I give the edge to the thing. The total paranoia in the camp just makes it scary as hell, especially the first time you watch it. Just not knowing who's been turned and who hasn't yet having to interact with them and live with them is such a scary notion in and of itself, the idea that you could suddenly wake up and find it taking you over.

Also, that ending of uncertainty in the thing gets me every time.

lmao even alien 3 was better than the thing

Better question which one got the better prequel?

Alien easily. The Thing is pleb-tier.

seconded.

Right

i prefer 2011 thing over Prometheus, if you asking that

Blade Runner and Alien are better than 99.99% of scifi that came after them

Autism.

One has the Bonus Situation, I think that has got to be a clear winner?

What do we mean by 'best'? Memorable? Rewatchable? Scary? Fun? Atmospheric?

Right

This

What's the difference between horror and terror?

The Thing but they're both great IMO.

Alien and it really isn't even close

horror is a response the body goes through, your mind recoils at horrible thoughts and imagery. horror is your brain attempting to not shut down from the shock.

terror is a feeling, a sense of dread. terror is felt by a presence that continues to make itself known without knowing when or where it will happen again. terror frightens, maims, and kills.

again

horror is horrible, horrific things that happen to helpless people.

terror is to instill fear, wielded as a means to keep others from interrupting your agenda.

"they terrorized the land and its people, leaving them scared and with a lasting fear, they had witnessed through such horrific sights."

The Thing is a much better movie which much better human drama.

as a horror film the thing has body horror, the horrible aspect of a thing that can steal identities, the horrible idea if this THING ever reached the mainlands, the horrible idea that we are stuck on this icecap with nobody else with more firepower.

as a horror film, alien has the horrible origins of the alien, the horrible demise of john hurt, the horrible deaths of the nostromo, and horrible loss of weyland-yutani funds due to ONE alien.

They both are perfect, but in different ways
Alien
>GOAT production design
>All the characters are fleshed out and likable
>The whole derilict ship sequence is GOAT
>threads have dank memes and waifuposting
The Thing
>GOAT in your face creature FX
>Can discuss for hours who is/isnt a thing
>based Kurt Russel
>Based Carpenter
>Spooky synth soundtrack
Both are stupidly comfy as well

At first when I was reading this I thought
>what a horrific definition
But now when I think back on it it's quite terrific

Absolutely this

as a entity of terror, the thing terrorizes the installation by cutting power, cutting blood bags, infecting crew slowly one by one, slowly dawning on the crew just how fucked they are.
this THING wouldn't terrorize the world as a whole, it'd simply consume it into a horrorific world of body horror.

as an entity of terror, the alien terrorizes the crew by hiding in the vast, labyrinthine nostromo in the dark, out of sight, deliberately killing hapless crew members with relative ease. it slowly dawns on ripley just how fucked people are if attempts to incorporate the specimens into unconventional means of warfare are made. if any of those eggs got onto earth, it'd be a terrible situation, and if unchecked, could turn earth into a horrible hive world.

Both close, but my preference is The Thing.
Both have great special effects, but The Thing takes it because of its GOAT practical effects (chest defib scene > chest buster scene)
Alien has a better score and sound design, although that Ennio Morricone/John Carpenter soundtrack is still perfect for its film.
Best acting is a tough one, seeing as you're not getting shake spear from either one, but I'd give it to The Thing, because I found the crew more memorable.
The Thing itself is the better alien than the xenomorph, imo, even if the xenomoprh is the more memorable design.
Also, I love a film with a somewhat open ended ending, and whether Russel or Davis are infected or not makes it a great ending. Although, I believe Keith Davis was The Thing at the end, due to the fact that Kurt gives the computer whiskey at the beginning because she's cheating him, and at the end, he makes Keith Davids character drink from the bottle (which some say is petrol, not scotch), as well.
POTTERY[/SPOILER]
P
O
T
T
E
R
Y

One of the very few intelligent posts to happen on Sup Forums

The Thing is scarier than Alien, but Alien is more gripping. They are probably a draw.

ALIEN was superior, The Thing is preferred by Americans because >American education.

alien

There's your (You), faggot.

Blade Runner and Alien are timeless and still look amazing.
Shits like you are the ones running hollywood and releasing all the crap we have today.

its like asking which of your balls you would like chopped off

alien and the thing are both great films and yes there are many aspects in these posts that mention the differences and why.

both creatures come from space, however the bigger threat is the one thats on our doorstep. aliens are in space, the thing is not.

the threat presented by these creatures. both creatures are susceptible to burning by fire, but both are hardy with their own offensive, defensive and survival capabilities. xenos have alien blood but die easily and reproduction is specific. the THING dies easily too, but is all too fucking difficult to detect and prevent without medical science.

as for our crew, the nostromo is unarmed. they have to make a crude burner just to feel safe. the thing, they have flamethrowers and firearms. they even have fucking rope to tie people with. these differences illustrate how helpless our characters are against the menace and ultimately their-selves.

and the setting, environment itself. nostromo is a futuristic broom closet with loud machinery and strobe lights and steam in space. made scarier especially when an intruder comes aboard. complete with sweaty space chicks and giger imagery.

antarctica has some limitations, but mostly is unrestricted by nostromo standards. however is more habitable than space itself. is an actual broom closet, which adds to the feeling of, "theres an intruder in my house in the middle of fucking never-ending winter". complete with whiskey and lovecraftian imagery.

Now is perfect time to ask, does any other sci-fi horror comes close to these two movies in terms of horror, terror, cinematography and special/practical effects?

neither have the horror factor for me maybe i just saw them to many times but anyway in terms of movies similar to them i personally like predator

i forgot to mention the hopelessness of our characters too.

in space, ripley escapes her would be rapist and sets in motion the alien franchise.

but on earth, kurt is running around on the darkened continent lighting flares just to be able to see where hes going outside the compound. crew are threatening each other. hell, they dont even live to warn or even tell anyone about their horrific tale.

i like alien, but the thing was something else. it was hopeless already to begin with.

Predator is fun 80s shlock, but I wouldn't put it in the same class as The Thing and Alien

youtube.com/watch?v=LjLamj-b0I8
youtube.com/watch?v=p35JDJLa9ec