Tell us about monsters from your myths and legends

Tell us about monsters from your myths and legends.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MHQmrtbq9tk
youtube.com/watch?v=uMNegVAWp5M
youtube.com/watch?v=LB3zDAxbwCsri
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamia
youtube.com/watch?v=5N6mDQhGRAs
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_of_the_Portuguese_Empire
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mare_(folklore)
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Jewish_legendary_creatures
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Południca - Lady Midday, 'Noonwraith'
>a young woman dressed in white that roamed field bounds. She assailed folk working at noon causing heatstrokes and aches in the neck, sometimes she even caused madness.
from WIki

Headless Mule

>it is the ghost of a woman that has been cursed by God for her sins (often said to be as concubinate or fornication with a priest within a church) and condemned to turn into a fire-spewing headless mule, galloping through the countryside from Thursday's sundown to Friday's sunrise.

Rusałka
A water nymph
>According to Vladimir Propp, the original "rusalka" was an appellation used by Pagan Slavic tribes, who linked them with fertility and did not consider rusalki evil before the nineteenth century. They came out of the water in the spring to transfer life-giving moisture to the fields and thus helped nurture the crops.

In nineteenth century versions, a rusalka is an unquiet, dangerous being who is no longer alive, associated with the unclean spirit. According to Dmitry Zelenin, young women, who either committed suicide by drowning due to an unhappy marriage (they might have been jilted by their lovers or abused and harassed by their much older husbands) or who were violently drowned against their will (especially after becoming pregnant with unwanted children), must live out their designated time on earth as rusalki. However, the initial Slavic lore suggests that not all rusalki occurrences were linked with death from water.

>

Brazylia pls stop, this is boring
I fugged up green text, let it be

Bolla and Kulshedra

Bolla is a giant snake that sleeps deep in the forest and every april eats one person.After it eats a particular nr of people it turns into a kulshedra,a much more bigger spiky Giant snake,with four legs,but that cannot fly or breathe fire(non-albanians tend to think kulshedra is a dragon)

youtube.com/watch?v=MHQmrtbq9tk
indaresting

Tsar Koschei the Immortal
>Type
Lich (probably, the first one that was created in folklore a LONG before those geeks with dungeon&dragons stuff)
>Legacy
Koschei cannot be killed by conventional means targeting his body. His soul (or death) is hidden separate from his body inside a needle, which is in an egg, which is in a duck, which is in a hare, which is in an iron chest (sometimes the chest is crystal and/or gold), which is buried under a green oak tree, which is on the island of Buyan in the ocean. As long as his soul is safe, he cannot die. If the chest is dug up and opened, the hare will bolt away; if it is killed, the duck will emerge and try to fly off. Anyone possessing the egg has Koschei in their power. He begins to weaken, becomes sick, and immediately loses the use of his magic. If the egg is tossed about, he likewise is flung around against his will. If the needle is broken, Koschei will die.
>Daily routine
1. Stealing princesses
2. Sitting above his gold (he's very stingy)
3. Living in the dark castles near by the nowhere

He's donaldo trumpo former nomine as supreme leader of Evil™ corp in an old Zapotec legend, it's said the mad man steal little children and farms their piss in order to shower in it.

The Scandinavian näcken, näkki, nokk were male water spirits who played enchanted songs on the violin, luring women and children to drown in lakes or streams. However, not all of these spirits were necessarily malevolent; in fact, many stories exist that indicate at the very least that nokker were entirely harmless to their audience and attracted not only women and children, but men as well with their sweet songs.

hot

When we made this country we didn't make monsters. Way too dangerous.

3icha 9ndicha is supposed to be a woman who is half beast half human, from waist up she's a beautiful woman
she hangs out around empty roads in the middle of woods or on mountains, usually she targets truckers by standing on the side of the road and asking for a ride, she's friendly till they notice her inhuman feet then she attacks

We also have legend of Rusalka.

youtube.com/watch?v=uMNegVAWp5M

Baba Yaga
>Type
Witch
>Legacy
Baba Yaga flies around in a mortar, wields a pestle, and dwells deep in the forest in a hut usually described as standing on chicken legs (or sometimes a single chicken leg).
>Daily routine:
1. Help (show the right way) or hinder (make a curse) those that encounter or seek her out.
2. Making pies with children (in the stove).
3. Plays a maternal role, and also has associations with forest wildlife.
4. Flying in the big basket.
5. Partying on the sabbat with other witches.

Kikimora, Mora
>In Polish folklore, mora are the souls of living people that leave the body during the night, and are seen as wisps of straw or hair or as moths. Accordingly, Polish mora, Czech můra denote both a kind of elf or spirit as well as a "sphinx moth" or "night butterfly". Other Slavic languages with cognates that have the double meaning of moth are: Kashubian mòra, and Slovak mora.
Good to know :)

Plaka e pikut(The woman that goes out in the most hot/cold part of the day)

During summer and winter,this old woman goes out in the most extreme part of the day to find children to eat.It was probably made so that the children would not go out during that time

Good to know :)
We have this too

Anonymous 01/12/17(Thu)01:30:08 No.69807211▶
Só assisto séries boas.
>>
Anonymous 01/12/17(Thu)01:41:16 No.69807441▶Eu vejo. Kinographia pura.
>>
Anonymous 01/12/17(Thu)02:18:37 No.69808341▶
plebeus matam o luso
>>
Anonymous 01/12/17(Thu)02:26:39 No.69808527▶
Ai gente malhei perna hoje estou mortooooo. Quero colo
>>
Anonymous 01/12/17(Thu)02:27:41 No.69808548▶
apior sensação é não ter alguém pra voltar pra casa...
>>
Anonymous 01/12/17(Thu)02:47:24 No.69808909▶ Gente, e o obcecadinho que fica postando gore achando que tá causando furor?
>>
Anonymous 01/12/17(Thu)02:54:17 No.69809032▶É....

Brasileiros ja estão acostumados com gore
>>
Anonymous 01/12/17(Thu)02:58:04 No.69809101▶ sabem onde posso achar mair gore? Sup Forums não é o suficiente...
>>
Anonymous 01/12/17(Thu)03:02:39 No.69809165▶
Você esta no Brasil.
>>
Anonymous 01/12/17(Thu)03:32:17 No.69809670▶
Acho que ninguém se importa... É só mais um "heuheuheuheuheuhehuehue" pra colar na tua bandeirinha e se achar o ~malandrão~ quando não tens nada a dizer.
>>
Anonymous 01/12/17(Thu)03:35:47 No.69809733▶
>macaco postando gore pra ganhar aceitação dos gringos

Todo mundo sabe que Brasileiro sempre quis aceitação ou que o gringo chore com ele sobre o

We call her baba Roga. But it's almost identical legend.

These were africans according to the first portuguese explorers

the mythical working gypsy

Leshiy
>Type
Forest spirit (also "les" basically means "forest")
>Legacy
Leshiye are masculine and humanoid in shape, are able to assume any likeness and can change in size and height. In some accounts, the leshy is described as having a wife (leshachikha/leszachka/lesovikha) and children (leshonki/leszonky).
>Daily routine:
1. Walking through the forest.
2. Defending forest from the people.
3. Help people that respect nature and kill people that disrespect.
4. Wearing shoes back to front.

Yeah, just as we have rusalka and kikimora too.

So we have more things in common, huh.

>little they knew they travelled to Mexico instead. Happens a lot with Portuguese, they end up in Americas when they try to reach Africa.

One-eyed Likho
>Type
Spirit (associated with evil and bad luck)
>Legacy
Creature with one eye, often depicted as an old, skinny woman in black (One-eyed Likho) or as an evil male sort-of-cyclope of forests. Usually have a very high height.
Can be tricked, defated by will or disappear if you'll gift (with him) something to other person.
>Daily routine:
1. Attached to people, making them have a bad luck in everything that they're doing.
2. Declining to suicide or some thing that will kill that person in any other ways.

>mexico
>not brazil, the only fucking place the POORtuguese got

Hijet (shadows)

Spirits that lure into places it is forbidden to go.They are usually summoned by the will of the person,or by a blood contrat

baba yaga
samodivi
zmey
lamya
torbalan

(You)

Yep, exactly! I think even more that you can imagine, heh.

GIVE US A TEXT WITH PICTURES

Gypsies

Parents often told me that if I am not nice with others the gypsies would come and put me in a bag.

Ikr youtube.com/watch?v=LB3zDAxbwCsri

baba yaga - old witch lady who rides on broom and eats children

samodivi - 10/10 female forest spirits who lure you into the forest to seduce you and kill you

zmey - bad snake-dragon creature that eats people

lamya - same but female

torbalan - kidnaps bad children in a big sack

too lazy for pictures

At the German North Sea we have the Walriderske ([female] whale riders). We believe they are witches living on Angellund (England) and during full moon they ride on whales from England to the German shores, most of them are just trolling you, for example hide your stuff or steal bread, but some of them are very mighty and if you feel there presence you should honor them by talking respectfully to them. If you don't they will witch not you but the people you like or love. Those mighty Walriderske can be taken prisoner. If they enter your house you must close the keyhole of your doors with a short rope. Then they become visible and you they will work for you, still you must be polite because they still can do harm. Once the rope is removed they instantly disappear. But when they were threatened well they return once a month to clean your house up or do you a favor.
(Some of the Walriderske actually don't ride whales but have built large ships made of whale bones to sail the North Sea and if a ship crosses them they will turn the crew into sand)

>torbalan
Lel. We have "the old man Babai" for that. I'm sure it's a one character.

>poortuguese propaganda
lmão, you niggers couldn't even hold a candle to the spanish empire

> Lamya - same but female
Is this it? en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamia

>samodivi - 10/10 female forest spirits who lure you into the forest to seduce you and kill you
>and kill you
NOOOO. How those qts can kill? :c

Genjeshtra (The lie)

Some kind of spirit that tells people to lie.It has short feet

youtube.com/watch?v=5N6mDQhGRAs

yeah it probably comes from this

well in some stories they fucc you first and then kill you, and in others they're good

they're just autistic

my mom

>they're just autistic
kek

top kek
in bulgaria we have a saying

Ha лъжaтa кpaкaтa ca къcи - The lie's legs are short

Yeah,we have that too.It is very old,probably an Illyro-Thracian legend

>hey fucc you first
Well, not so bad now.

kek, this is what portugays actually believe

Can't think of any English ones, but in Scotland they have a monster called Nessie that is in a big lake called the loch ness. When I was young we went to Scotland and had a look for it but we didn't find anything. I remember one of our dogs went swimming in the lake and I jumped in after it because I didn't want the monster to get her

Witte Wieven (White/Wise women)

Historically, the witte wieven are thought to be wise female herbalists and medicine healers who took care of people's physical and mental ailments.
It was said they had the talent for prophecy and looking into the future.
They had a high status in the communities, and so when they died ceremonies were held at their grave sites to honour them.

According to mythology, their spirits remained on earth,
and they became living spirits (or elven beings) that either helped or hindered people who encountered them.
They tended to reside in the burial sites or other sacred places. It was thought that mist on a gravehill was the spirit of the wise woman appearing, and people would bring them offerings and ask for help.

fuck off mitch

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_of_the_Portuguese_Empire

We have the most famous folktales

Holy hell

Behold.
The terrifying Jackalope!

Pombero
>a black or amerindian guy (sources differ) whose soul was cursed for eternity so he became some sort of semi-harmless goblin that will sour your milk, kill your crops or farm animals one by one and throw rocks at your roof all night long if you make him upset
>in the Argentinian version, he's shorter to imp size and has a hat and cane, but in both retellings the way to pacify and even befriend a Pombero is to leave him an offering of wild honey, booze and tobacco chew/cigar. as a friend, he will turn his mischievousness to your enemies (souring their milk, killing their animals, etc.)
>two traits that identify him: he has hair on the palm of his feet, as to not leave footprints, and he whistles in a certain way (or imitates bird whistle even if you know there's not a bird nearby)
it's amazing how everyone in the country just KNOWS the Pombero exists. city kids don't believe anymore but due to internal immigration even people in urban areas will believe in this creature
oh yeah i forgot the fun part of the story:
>it is said that when a woman sleeps in the open instead of locked inside, and she ends up pregnant, it is the "child of a Pombero". babies being born with lanugo (downy hair) only helps spreading the myth

that's cute

Ufff hvala za ovo anone , popravil si mi dan

I'm fucking hate that almost all cute and handsome "monsters" are actually monsters that is killing you after meeting.
Why did (ascentors) tried to say by that?...

don't fall for baits, i suppose

Yeah, seems like. And one more: do not judge by the cover.

Well I think those stories were used by elders to scare their children so they don't wander off

Don't judge a book by it's cover

Like don't go to water/mountains/forest/everywhere.
Hm.. Dunno. I don't think that all children back then was sitting at home 24/7.

well we have the beast of the gévaudan, which is basically a big wolf

that's about it i think

>genderuwo, ourang pendek
cryptic similarity to bigfoot, which is funny funny our land is mother of homminid fossils

>noni
white woman ghost in abandoned dutch house

>tuyul
small ghost or smeagol like used by witch for stealing

i dont believe ghost or the stories but im religious (muslim), people are just hallucinated

yeah, elder warnings never work
that's like 75% story material for all folk stories even

Chupakabra.
Like a not big dog or jackal.
Science doesn't know who is it, but it can exist (like a yeti). Still villager complain that something similar of Chupacabra stealing their chickens

reminds me of this
>„Nachtmahr“, Johann Heinrich Füssli (1802)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mare_(folklore)

you all seem to know this picture, can anyone tell me the story please?

Santa Compaña - "Holy Company"
Procession of 10 souls wandering after midnight, visiting the houses of people that will die soon.
Also in my region midnight can be called "hora de las brujas" (witch hour) but very few people do it, and its jokingly

Olá amigo galego

here midnight is called "Geisterstunde", "hour/time of the ghosts/souls"

lol wut
chupacabra in Russia??

Where's the irish and their Dullahan?

The ankou, popular celtic mythology.
It's death itself, he comes to take you when you're about to die. He's not good nor bad, he just does his job.

In fact, if you've been a good person, he'll even give you a moment so you can prepare to go, when he comes to take you.

When he prepares his reaping, he touches you, you can't see him, but he sees you. You can only see him when you're about to die. He can only touch you once, so if you manage to avoid his touch, you will live an eternal life.

If you hear his cart at the distance, it means you will die during the year, if you see him, it means you don't have much time left.

I like this legend, I like the idea that he is not good or bad but just doing its duty, forever.

Take your pick: en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Jewish_legendary_creatures

My favorite is the Leviathan; water monsters are always top tier.

I've read a non-fictional book about that monster written by a French person. It was scary af.

Meh... Most of the folk tales around my region have been forgotten

People here obsess over the nordic and irish mithology and they end up forgetting about their own culture.

I try to know more about folk stuff from my country and region but it's incredibly hard. It's like going into a dungeon in search of a long forgotten culture.

Visit a university library. Those tales have probably collected and written down in the 19th century, like here in Germany. I've done the same and trust me, don't believe everything written on Wikipedia. A LOT of the articles about mythology are just bullshit and sheer wishful thinking.

>Visit a university library.

I'm no longer a student and ironically i'm a history doprout but pheraps they will let me in

Are university libraries closed for the public in Portugal? This sucks

>EU flag
>jewish

like pottery

>Are university libraries closed for the public in Portugal?

No, but some sections require a lot of burocracy to gain access

Multi-country ISP desu senpai

>Tfw unironically in Israel right now

how does the EU flag work? i once saw someone posting from italy but they had the EU flag.

a proxy address that has .eu TLD
that's it
usually it comes from an Opera Mini browser used near Europe (if used in the Americas, an .us flag will appear)

His popular in Ru. I don't know his motherland.

The beast itself isn't as magical or weird looking as most in this theead but the fact it actually existed and killed dozens of people is creepy enough
When I was a young kid I had a school trip to was used to be Gévaudan (Lozère now) and when we spent the night there I was afraid the beast would come, as were other kids

you never heard the chupacabras was first seen in North America? (can't remember if Mexico or Puerto Rico right now)

We're busy lad

I think that's Licho in Poland. Cool stuff.
We even still have some sayings with Licho, like licho nie śpi, or niech go licho weźmie.

>chile
hmm?

This
(co ty robisz w Bułgarii, urlop?)

Coś w tym stylu. Ale jutro wracam do Polszy

>Poland
Just play witcher

>rådare
"keepers" or "guardians"

various spooky creatures that keep watch over their domains

e.g. huldras or even undead landowners that falsely marked the boundaries of their lands and are force to walk along the correct boundaries for eternity