RUINED by Money

Used to be able to make insightful, down to earth comedy, but he's no good anymore. Money and fame ruined him, unfortunately.

According to Business Insider, his work netted him $80 million in 2013. Over the 12 years between that and the office, it would be fair to say his after tax net earning is roughly $13 a minute. Think about how that distorts your sense of reality.

If you take a shit, and you're constipated, it could cost you over $40. Want to go to the supermarket? The amount of time it takes you to travel there, shop, and get back is worth more than the price of the groceries. Washing and folding laundry, you might have been better off buying a new wardrobe.

So you hire an assistant to perform your personal tasks, a maid to handle your upkeep, and before you know it you're living in a complete bubble.

Nothing seems high stakes because money can solve most of your problems. Everyone's pleased to meet you, and flattery from strangers, friends, and associates becomes de rigueur.

Your personal interactions are totally fucked and your sense of reality is completely distorted. Everyone calls you a genius writer, when all you did was write what you know and act as an exaggerated version of your own personality.

Same thing essentially happened to John Cleese, but at least his fame took longer to accumulate so he had a good decade or two. Between the accelerated accumulation of wealth and fame, his weaker educational foundation, and his success late in life, Ricky Gervais had no chance of maintaining his success.

Have there been any comedians or writers who can handle this level of success and still make great stuff?

[Karl Pilkington only has so much, plus has a broken boiler, so he'll be alright. Plus he didn't try pasta until he was in his 20s. ]

DUDE
GOD IS SILLY
LMAO

I always enjoyed listening to his old xfm shows with merch and pilkington. Those three individually i pretty much hate all of them, but always did well together. Ricky alone is just too obnoxious

his face needs caving in with a shovel

>I will never have that kind of money

why even live senpai

How can one show make him $80M? What else did he do that year?

Sorry, should be "netted him $80 million BY 2013" starting from the office in 2001, assuming he had a negligible amount before that.

Plus, remember he was Executive Producer for the US Office and gets royalties from all international versions (Le Bureau, Stomberg, La Job, La Ofis, המשרד, Kontoret) and reruns.

anyone see the Netflix film he made recently?

>Yes, he made one and it was shit

Eric Bana was good, it should have been a series though desu. Doing movies like that is so obnoxious.

Who are you quoting?

I had no idea other countries other than the US did versions

Really sad. Before he had the freedom to make whatever he wanted at both the BBC and HBO. He even had the accumulated goodwill to make small budget Hollywood films where he got to make out with Tea Leoni and Jennifer Gardner.

Now HBO and the BBC have dropped him, and he's stuck making straight to video with Netflix with Sky buying syndication rights.

>Stromber is the german adaption of the Office

I feel like an utter retard and slowpoke for not catching this before.

How retarded are you? Like seriously..

Is Gervais married?

I hope so.

I remember loving Ricky when he was on the 10 Oclock show doing really disgusting bits about wanking in the bath and chimps raping each other.

Nope, long term partner, no marriage. (Unlike John Cleese who has split his wealth 3 times in divorce.)

What does that quote even mean

I liked his rant about gay French migrants getting council houses.

Cemetery Junction was a genuinely great film.

I think he meant that his generation handled poverty with grace, which comes off condescending as fuck. I don't like him though, so I might be projecting a reason to hate him more.

His decline started a long time back.

Realistically he hasn't made anything great since Extras.

Trying to move into the US market was what ruined him. The content and style he was known for doesn't transfer there, and so he had to have this whole Awkward Englishman schtick which was dreary

God you wankers are harsh. He has life on a plate now because he's a multi-millionaire so his work has changed and he's not as hungry and of course that changes you. Why do you commoners have such a high opinion of yourselves?

I don't like him since he constantly looks like the smuggest cunt that has ever walked on this earth.

>One hit wonder
I make one good thing. Everything else is shit and I constantly disappoint. I can sometimes make that one other thing that doesn't suck so much but let's face it. I lucked out.
The wachowskis (moved on from the matrix to a lifetime subscription of mediocrity). M Night DingDong 3(textbook case, medical schools professors use his example to illustrate the severe evolution of the condition).

>The Ride Never Ends
The one thing I make becomes so huge, profitable, loved I can't separate myself from it and my entire life's work revolves around it. Too scared to jump to another serious project my forearms are huge because I'm very good at milking stuff.
(Georges Lucas, The south park guys, the simpsons dude,)
>Joseph Goebbels
My early works become huge/cult. Then I branch out into producing and I establish cartel-like alliances to ensure I control distribution, public perception of my work and marketing tactics. I suport anything I make with WW2 propaganda tactics ensuring box office success at any cost. (James Cameron, Spielberg, Post-Begins Nolan)

>The One
Everything I touch turns to Gold. I can't fail. If I'm a director I'm too independent to be fucked over (Kubrick) or my fan base is too devoted (Cohen bros) or as an actor, my charisma is so overwhelming I find myself at the near top of a mutli billion dollar cult (Cruise).

>Crack addict
Will star in your film for 50 bucks. Will suck your cock for a C-note or two.
(Cage, Roberts)

>My soul belongs to lucifer
Sometimes I'm talented and put in the work, sometimes I'm just a huge fucking clusterfailure. I lucked out and know the right person, am a heir to a billionaire or some casting director chose me to jumpstart a new franchise. Chris hemsworth, Daisey riddley, Julia Louis Dreyfus and Ronney sisters will see you in hell. In the meanwhile suck it.

quality post