Yo Sup Forums i'm a PC maintenance illiterate fag who just got a hold of a Windows Vista. Grandma owned it...

Yo Sup Forums i'm a PC maintenance illiterate fag who just got a hold of a Windows Vista. Grandma owned it. The PC is very slow. I'm also a poorfag. How do I make the PC faster, or fix it in general? What do Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

distrowatch.com/search.php?category=Old Computers
trisquel.info/en/wiki/trisquel-mini
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>get windows 10 (clean install)
>get smart defrag 5
>defrag entire disk

Start
Run
"msconfig"
Disable all the shit that starts with windows, that is not needed. "google updater, etc..."
/thread

what are the system stats???

Install gentoo and download more ram

do either
or do this
how old is the pc? look in the control panel/system for the specs

ubuntu.com

Defragging would definitely be a good start. It should have come with Windows, unless Vista's different

This is OP. Starting up the PC now. The year is like 2008. Slow startup. in the meantime, any other questions or advice?

You have to delete system32 folder

(someone had to say it)

u put the PC parts in a black case

Do this right now

This is OP. I'm not deleting System32. I am MAINTENANCE illiterate, not common sense illiterate. I've known about the whole "hahahaha delete System32" since 9th grade.

OP again. Here's the stats:

800-megahertz (MHz) 32-bit (x86) processor or 800-MHz 64-bit (x64) processor
512 megabytes (MB) of system memory
Note On system configurations that use system memory as graphics memory, at least 448 MB of system memory must be available to the operating system after some memory is allocated for graphics.
DirectX 9-class graphics card
32 MB of graphics memory
20-gigabyte (GB) hard disk that has 15 GB of free hard disk space
Internal or external DVD drive
Internet access capability
Audio output capability

bin it

Honestly, throw that shit away.

There are dildos that have more processing power than this nowdays.

Sorry for your luck. Linux may be a good option for it.

Install linux

Linux is toilet paper.

>Linux may be a good option for it
Lubuntu runs on an oily rag, check it out

this

if ubuntu is to much, try debian instead, but that might be a little more difficult

>This is OP. I'm not deleting System32. I am MAINTENANCE illiterate, not common sense illiterate. I've known about the whole "hahahaha delete System32" since 9th grade.

So that's a full year by now?

(OP) Im going to do a clean install, defrag, etc. If that does not work, will upgrade Ram.

What are you, 5?

five

Just use Lubuntu / Xubuntu OP.
That's your best shot.
(Although, I'd get a chink $50 Windows 10 tablet if I was in your condition, though. It's probably way more powerful than the setup you have now).

If you really want to keep it, OP, first thing's first, get rid of that cancer OS and get something like Linux or Windows 10.

I don't think you'll be able to upgrade it much without upgrading your motherboard, but you can maybe get more RAM (they should be cheaper for a computer that age) but that's about the extent, I'd say.

distrowatch.com/search.php?category=Old Computers

Lubuntu is a fast, lightweight and energy-saving variant of Ubuntu using the LXDE (Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment) desktop. It is intended to have low-resource system requirements and is designed primarily for netbooks, mobile devices and older PCs

OP, you live in Michigan?

I will give you a computer that has 10X the ability for free.

>800-megahertz (MHz) 32-bit (x86) processor or 800-MHz 64-bit (x64) processor
>512 megabytes (MB) of system memory

Your only option is Linux. If you've never played before with it just do a quick google to decide how to do the install. Hell, it's fee, can't hurt anything.

Then bask in the glory that you did it and start saving up for a real system.

And yeah, more RAM should be either cheap or easily sourced from friends. You do have friends, don't you?

(OP) Thanks Sup Forums. Will look into it. This is last post. Bye.

trisquel.info/en/wiki/trisquel-mini

(OP) Bullshit.......rrrealy?

Factory reset it

>OP, you live in Michigan?
>I will give you a computer that has 10X the ability for free.

Oh yeah...I'd totally go for this deal.

Deleting System32 for good measure Sup Forums. :'-( goodbye old PC

This

or try ubuntu mate or lubuntu for less resource heavy de

Install an SSD

so win/mac is used toilet paper?

For real.

I have many I am not using.

I remember my days on a shit rig back then a dual pII xeon...