Dylan has described his reaction to hearing Hendrix's version: "It overwhelmed me, really. He had such talent...

>Dylan has described his reaction to hearing Hendrix's version: "It overwhelmed me, really. He had such talent, he could find things inside a song and vigorously develop them. He found things that other people wouldn't think of finding in there. He probably improved upon it by the spaces he was using. I took license with the song from his version, actually, and continue to do it to this day."

>In the booklet accompanying his Biograph album, Dylan said: "I liked Jimi Hendrix's record of this and ever since he died I've been doing it that way... Strange how when I sing it, I always feel it's a tribute to him in some kind of way."

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1-fD9fD61kA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Right, there were 3 truly important artists of the 60s

Hendrix
Dylan
The Beatles

He will be remembered forever because someday people will be searching "who was the best guitarist" and you know, he's number 1 hands down. Without a doubt, it's like we know Franz Liszt was awesome, you can hear it, you don't even need to be from that era because it was timeless. That's Hendrix

His death was the greatest loss for rock music. You could tell he would have continued making amazing things.

Hendrix's version of All Along The Watchtower is vastly superior to Dylan's. It must have been a great honor to Dylan to have him cover it.

Hendrix was an overrated hack as far as guitarists go. Sure he wrote some nifty songs but his guitar playing was sloppy and lacked technicality compared to many of his contemporaries. Yeah he "innovated" (though the degree of which is grossly exaggerated) but listening to him today, especially in a live setting is so painful. Just sloppy noodling over blues scales, something anyone with a few years of dedicated guitar experience behind them can do.

This is the typical Sup Forumstant here. Shits over the greats cause ' dey mainstreem'. And cause 'i are alternative nd cool n such'.

He even used the word "hack". It's like he's trying not to be taken seriously

Hendrix is notoriously incredibly hard to imitate, he may have used pentatonics but every guitarist always gets all
>Muh pentatonics

when they think playing in a dorian mode or something makes them special.

We stand on the shoulders of giants. It's easy to say you can fly after the Wright Brothers figured it out for us. Even if you can play like that, you couldn't have if it wasn't for Jimi. You wouldn't even thought of it without him.

And guess what? he influenced so many he's owed a lot for that as well.

On the pentatonics (or blues scales) thing, snobby guitar players always get on that but as an experienced guitarists I can say that blues is REALLY difficult to play convincingly. Sure, anybody can play some scales, but Hendrix made the guitar SING. There's just no denying it.

Dylan's favorite cover of any of his songs was when Elvis Presley covered one.

That said, Dylan's version of All Along the Watchtower is one of the greatest songs of all time, the Hendrix cover is alright but doesn't have the same lasting power as the original. Dylan's version is timeless, Hendrix's version is very dated.

>Dylan's version is timeless, Hendrix's version is very dated.
Yeah that's why you only hear the Hendrix version and not the Dylan version even today

Call me a hipster or whatever, but I prefer Dylan's version of the song.

>muh technical skill

The only hipster part about your comment is deliberately avoiding acknowledging that Hendrix made great music

When did I do that? Hendrix was the shit.

>Right, there were 3 truly important artists of the 60s

>no Clapton

Layla was 1970 and one album doesn't make you important

Well now you didn't

I didn't say a hipster comment makes you a hipster geeze

are you seriously this fucking retarded?

>what is John Mayall and the Blues Breakers
>what is Cream

wut

>hack

I mean, I get that not everyone is a Hendrix freak but come on lad.

youtube.com/watch?v=1-fD9fD61kA

this is where it all started

Sorry bro I'm not the other commenter, but by "important" artists, I mean the ones that literally changed shit for everybody.

I'd say Lou Reed was more important than Clapton, does it make the Velvet Underground one of "the most important artists"? No, furthermore, does it really matter? We know who changed things, they didn't plan on doing it, it just happened

The Hendrix version is used to evoke a very particular date, you're not helping your case. Dylan's music doesn't exactly get radio play, even back when he was considered Jesus Christ incarnate. Almost all of his hits were actually other people getting hits covering his songs.

Dylan's music is mostly listened to by people who want to pay attention to it, not have it playing in the background at some bar.

>I'd say Lou Reed was more important than Clapton

Try hard fag

>does it make the Velvet Underground one of "the most important artists"? No
wew lad

nice feedback

Eric Clapton is gonna bite ur balls off faggot. Jus' sayin.